Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Umbra warframes [Discussion & Appreciation][*spoilers*]

I think Excal will be the only umbra we will ever get and he will be just replacement for prime since this one is exclusive to founders. Hoping for anything more than that is just setting yourself up for disappointment. You are overhyping it to much and it will bite you.

11 minutes ago, kuciol said:

I think Excal will be the only umbra we will ever get and he will be just replacement for prime since this one is exclusive to founders. Hoping for anything more than that is just setting yourself up for disappointment. You are overhyping it to much and it will bite you.

DE devs have said they want Umbra to be more than just another prime. they want umbra to be something special. 

they have also said that unlike prime variants umbra wont be coming to every frame which implies that there will be multiple umbra frames.

1 minute ago, HerpDerpy said:

DE devs have said they want Umbra to be more than just another prime. they want umbra to be something special. 

they have also said that unlike prime variants umbra wont be coming to every frame which implies that there will be multiple umbra frames.

Yea "something special". You will get it from quest and wont need to farm for him. I bet that what they meant. Also that statement doesn't imply more than 1, it says not every frame will get it so it can mean there will be only 1.  This community have the tendency to overhype everything and than cry when they wont get what they expected. Just stop. If im right than it will be what i expected, if im wrong i will be nicely surprised. If you are right you will get what you expected, if you are wrong you will be disappointed, thats the difference between us. 

3 hours ago, Vosenedich said:

Just a crazy thought that crossed my mind because of this (quote): if Umbra variants were able to retain a fraction of their sentience, even while under the control of the Operator, then they would be a unique asset as a quickly deployed berserk companion while the Operator goes to battle himself. Random though, that is it.

2 hours ago, KelsierSurvivor said:

I think that person is me! 

Reveal hidden contents

I really don't know. I based my hopes off of alot of other people's mentions and theories, but I still made that theory. But like many things I have thought of, I am probably not the only one that thought of that. 

AA0629BFFE6FDC0DA67DF228EAC473C87E605F0A

Here's an example of my Warframe already assuming its idle animation. Teaser? I hope so!

that theory was talked on a   while ago  after tsd dropped

as KS points out their isnt any reason warfarmes couldnt go into a spectar like combat mode 

3 hours ago, kuciol said:

Yea "something special". You will get it from quest and wont need to farm for him. I bet that what they meant. Also that statement doesn't imply more than 1, it says not every frame will get it so it can mean there will be only 1.  This community have the tendency to overhype everything and than cry when they wont get what they expected. Just stop. If im right than it will be what i expected, if im wrong i will be nicely surprised. If you are right you will get what you expected, if you are wrong you will be disappointed, thats the difference between us. 

Steve has said Excel won't be the only Umbra.

1_ umbra and primes are completely different wich kind of makes me think that ballas did not create the umbras

2- The only reason they called the warframes beasts in rhinos codex was because warframes have their own will and they went beserk before bonding with our operators

3- I wold throw away the theory of hunhow trying to trick the lotus because lotus,natah and margulis are a trinity ( 3 in 1) 

4-Hunhow was surprised when the warframe moved on its own in the sencond dream , wich means he did not know how the orokin experiments worked , so how could umbra be a sentient?

5- Ballas himself stated that he died many times and came back to life, the guy in prologue could be really him.

6- There is a theory that states that some tenno were drafted to work as low guardians for the orokin. That means that the stalker could be a tenno and that there could be others out there who can control frames. 

I could state other 5000 theories about umbra but ill let time tell me instead of speculating

Edited by (PS4)monkiller587
Correction

2 hours ago, Valor said:

I wouldn't mind slight tweaks to Umbra abilities, but anything drastic would not be OK.

An Excal should still be recognizeable as an Excal - Blind should still blind, Exalted Blade should still blade, etc.

TBH I kinda hope for the opposite. Lime maybe not make it a fully new frame, but I want there to be drastic changes to his abilities so he isn't just another Excalibur.

I do wonder though. . . if we take a "mystical" approach to this matter, what if an Umbral frame acts as a "phylactory" of sorts? A user would dump their soul-containing kuva (Oro) into it, and the machine beast would act as both you AND as a receptacle for your frail human soul,  If your frail corpus finally dies, you simply sever the link, find or grow a new body, and "empty it out" so you can start again fresh.

The risk is that, if you kill the Umbra-self (your personal shadow, hehe), that's it, that's death. In addition, there's the fact that, essentially, the "original you", as you feel it, could diverge significantly from the new you, meaning "you" might not be the one going into the new body.

(For further existence-based mind-melting thoughts, please see "Soma")

Did I explain myself well?

Edited by Unus

Il y a 3 heures, OoKeNnEtHoO a dit :

I do hope it will have different abilities.

Otherwise, it's nothing more than a new skin.

Yep. There's really nothing that would make a difference besides changing abilities. IMO regular and Prime Excalibur should be reverted to pre-rework state while Umbra receives abilities that Excalibur currently has. This would not only make Umbra stand out but will also give "legacy" option for those who miss Superjump and old Slash Dash.

18 minutes ago, YukiRee said:

Yep. There's really nothing that would make a difference besides changing abilities. IMO regular and Prime Excalibur should be reverted to pre-rework state while Umbra receives abilities that Excalibur currently has. This would not only make Umbra stand out but will also give "legacy" option for those who miss Superjump and old Slash Dash.

Well, if that's how DE wants to do it, I rather they do it that way for Excal Umbra than for the regular and Prime versions, then non-Founders can get exactly what the Founders got at that point in time; Something they always said they wanted and would willingly pay the same amount for if they had the chance or had the money at that point in time, while people who do not like the old Excal, be they Founders or not, can stick with the regular or prime versions.

Edited by OoKeNnEtHoO

4 minutes ago, OoKeNnEtHoO said:

Well, if that's how DE wants to do it, I rather they do it that way for Excal Umbra than for the regular and Prime versions, then non-Founders can get exactly what the Founders got at that point in time; Something they always said they wanted.

It definitely wasn't about abilities. People wanted Excal Prime before rework too. The logic of my proposal is: old Excalibur - old abilities, new Excalibur - new abilities. It would also feel for new players like they're getting an upgrade to the frame while they progress through the story.

27 minutes ago, YukiRee said:

It definitely wasn't about abilities. People wanted Excal Prime before rework too. The logic of my proposal is: old Excalibur - old abilities, new Excalibur - new abilities. It would also feel for new players like they're getting an upgrade to the frame while they progress through the story.

I am not sure how many people will enjoy playing through a quest so that they can get to play with the same abilities that they have been playing with since the rework though and also get a nerf (if you view the old set as lackluster) to their frame prior to the quest (especially those running Excal with the Exalted Blade but have not done any story quests).

Personally, I did not enjoy Radial Javelin as the ulti in the past since that made him a caster playstyle and the end game for him back then was to cast Radial Blind. The old Slash Dash and old Radial Javelin were pretty good though.

Anyway, I don't think that many people (Founders or not) actually like the old Excal much so if they wanna introduce back that lackluster set with Super Jump, I rather they keep it out of the main system and introduce it into Umbra.

Even then, introducing back that old set will just make many lose interest in Excal Umbra.

That said, I wouldn't mind trading in Radial Javelin in the current set for Super Jump because that is how useless the current version of Radial Javelin is.

For those who have no idea what Super Jump is and why I don't think anyone will want that old set back (not to say that it is bad unless you compare to the current set):

Edited by OoKeNnEtHoO

6 minutes ago, OoKeNnEtHoO said:

I am not sure how many people will enjoy playing through a quest so that they can get to play with the same abilities that they have been playing with since the rework though and also get a nerf (if you view the old set as lackluster) to their frame prior to the quest (especially those running Excal with the Exalted Blade but have not done any story quests).

So it'd be better if we got a nerfed frame after progressing through the game?

6 minutes ago, YukiRee said:

So it'd be better if we got a nerfed frame after progressing through the game?

So, it would be better if we don't introduce that old set of abilities again.

Having different abilities and having that old set of abilities are 2 different things which I never linked to each other in the first place until you did.

Having different abilities for Excal Umbra is important because otherwise when Loki Umbra or Frost Umbra or whatever Umbra that follows come out, we are all gonna get 3 versions of the exact same thing.

Primes getting a mild stats difference is really just a lazy reskin but considering we only need to get them once, we can consider them an upgrade and just throw the regular ones away.

Now, imagine the Umbras do this too. Do we throw the Primes away or do we even bother to farm Umbras? No matter how I see it, be they sidegrades or upgrades or downgrades, as long as there are no abilities changes (mild tweaks or complete overhaul), we will just be getting a reskin repackaged as a new item.

Edited by OoKeNnEtHoO

5 minutes ago, OoKeNnEtHoO said:

So, it would be better if we don't introduce that old set of abilities again.

Having different abilities and having that old set of abilities are 2 different things which I never linked to in the first place until you did.

Yet there's no guarantee a completely new skillset won't be lackluster. Why risk? Or why even call a completely new frame Excalibur?

A new Umbra passive or additional mechanic not affecting regular gameplay would be more than enough for me.

1 hour ago, YukiRee said:

Yet there's no guarantee a completely new skillset won't be lackluster. Why risk? Or why even call a completely new frame Excalibur?

A new Umbra passive or additional mechanic not affecting regular gameplay would be more than enough for me.

Well, we can agree to disagree on this because in my opinion, if a frame that looks different but only offer slight stat changes then it is not any different from a reskin.

In other words, Unless somehow said passive or mechanic changes the gameplay enough that we would mod and play Excal Umbra differently from how we mod and play Excal or Excal Prime, it will really be nothing more than a reskin and while I don't mind DE being lazy on this one if this will satisfy the collectors, I do mind the same treatment for the other Umbras that follow.

1 hour ago, OoKeNnEtHoO said:

Well, we can agree to disagree on this because in my opinion, if a frame that looks different but only offer slight stat changes then it is not any different from a reskin.

In other words, Unless somehow said passive or mechanic changes the gameplay enough that we would mod and play Excal Umbra differently from how we mod and play Excal or Excal Prime, it will really be nothing more than a reskin and while I don't mind DE being lazy on this one if this will satisfy the collectors, I do mind the same treatment for the other Umbras that follow.

It would only be a reskin like your saying for some founders because you already own 2 Excaliburs while all non founders do not. So for me as a non founder  anything, even a small tweak or stat buff would be great because I do not have an option to regular excal. I think realistically Umbra Excalibur is to fill the void of excal prime as an option, until Dexcalibur comes. So I feel like it will most likely be the same as regular excal, but I do agree that the frames to follow should deviate more from the regular and prime frames.