Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Umbra warframes [Discussion & Appreciation][*spoilers*]

1 hour ago, LogaMC1995 said:

I just noticed the word MOON capitalised and emphasized in the script Steve tweeted. 

The Sun-Moon compass finally gonna affect the story?

Not sure but seeing Ballas adorned in decadent gold and bits of filagree makes me think of a Roman or Heian Empire rotting from the inside out.  

So he seemingly put this aesthetic all over his Primes and I shudder.  Primes hardly strike me as “SUN”.

Also primes come in white and black variant. Which does not speak for a pure sun motive.

If anything primes also follow the light/dark or yin/yang motive that we now see in multiple areas of the game (Equinox, Operator morality, general idea of Tenno keeping "balance").

I guess Steve's "MOON" thing might just be some expansion of Lua since that's where the whole Sacrifice quest will be centered on again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Othergrunty said:

Also primes come in white and black variant. Which does not speak for a pure sun motive.

If anything primes also follow the light/dark or yin/yang motive that we now see in multiple areas of the game (Equinox, Operator morality, general idea of Tenno keeping "balance").

I guess Steve's "MOON" thing might just be some expansion of Lua since that's where the whole Sacrifice quest will be centered on again.

Let’s take the thread in a fun direction:

BOMBSHELL, GAMECHANGING SPECULATION: GO!

Cinematic:

“We see the moon falling apart around Excal Umbra (Tennocon 2017 Teaser).  It might seem like Lotus is dying, but this is only partially true.

NATAH is RE-AWAKENING.  A recorded distress signal is received by Ordis.  

Lotus: “Tenno, if you are receiving this, I have been taken and we are running out of time.  Find me and bring me home and make me whole again, Tenno.  The safety of the Earth and the Solar System depends on it.”

Just then, outside your liset, you see the Moon literally crack in half like an Egg.  From it’s hollowed center emerges a GIGANTIC SENTIENT SHIP with the Lotus symbol at it’s core.  It begins to glow with Eldritch Power.

Your Tenno “looks” down, and you realize that the Sigil on it’s chest is also glowing in concert...a Sigil symbolic of Natah (Tennocon 2018 Digital Pack).

The giant ship begins moving towards Earth’s atmosphere.

Ordis: “Operator...What do we do?”

FADE TO BLACK.

Edited by (PS4)Silverback73
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, (PS4)Silverback73 said:

Let’s take the thread in a fun direction:

BOMBSHELL, GAMECHANGING SPECULATION: GO!

Cinematic:

“We see the moon falling apart around Excal Umbra (Tennocon 2017 Teaser).  It might seem like Lotus is dying, but this is only partially true.

NATAH is RE-AWAKENING.  A recorded distress signal is received by Ordis.  

Lotus: “Tenno, if you are receiving this, I have been taken and we are running out of time.  Find me and bring me home and make me whole again, Tenno.  The safety of the Earth and the Solar System depends on it.”

Just then, outside your liset, you see the Moon literally crack in half like an Egg.  From it’s hollowed center emerges a GIGANTIC SENTIENT SHIP with the Lotus symbol at it’s core.  It begins to glow with Eldritch Power.

Your Tenno “looks” down, and you realize that the Sigil on it’s chest is also glowing in concert...a Sigil symbolic of Natah (Tennocon 2018 Digital Pack).

The giant ship begins moving towards Earth’s atmosphere.

Ordis: “Operator...What do we do?”

FADE TO BLACK.

Ballas enters in, if you could trade...would you? 

17 hours ago, DiabolusUrsus said:

Sigh.

Let's just be done with it already. At this point Umbra will NEVER live up to the amount of hype it has accumulated over the years and, excepting the fashionframe edgelords who just want a dark-themed Excal, most of us will probably be left thinking "all that time waiting for this?"

Umbra honestly sounds like TWW 2.0.

Omg.. I just realised.. I'm a fashionframe edgelord.

Also.. maybe it's already time to start updating my warframe client? I smell Umbra getting closer.

Edited by -Ringed-Umbra-

15 hours ago, LazerSkink said:

I feel you're putting way too much hope into the variant. There is nothing supporting this idea other than things they said years ago which may or may not even be valid anymore (and there was too much room for interpretation of what they even meant).

you might be reading to much into it, i dont mean anything crazy or drastic 

basically its a side grade to primes, that in itself adds more variety to squads as we dont have just prime/vanilla combinations then 

even as a side grade, they did state umbras get something unique to them so its not farfeched in that we just dont know the specifics of their unique factor 

we still dont know if umbras will be limited or not, so all we have to go on is what de has stated on the subject , thats all we have 

Edited by (XB1)EternalDrk Mako

9 hours ago, Ksaero said:

Nah, it's just that Excal is my favourite frame since day 1, and all I wanted was an upgraded version with new looks and slightly better stats. The only thing that could disappoint me would be making Umbra an NPC. :D

Okay, great! Good for you, no sarcasm.

20 minutes ago, -Ringed-Umbra- said:

Omg.. I just realised.. I'm a fashionframe edgelord.

Also.. maybe it's already time to start updating my warframe client? I smell Umbra getting closer.

Just FYI I don't mean any condescension when I say edgelord; there's just a colloquial understanding of that aesthetic.

1 hour ago, (XB1)EternalDrk Mako said:

you might be reading to much into it, i dont mean anything crazy or drastic 

basically its a side grade to primes, that in itself adds more variety to squads as we dont have just prime/vanilla combinations then 

even as a side grade, they did state umbras get something unique to them so its not farfeched in that we just dont know the specifics of their unique factor 

we still dont know if umbras will be limited or not, so all we have to go on is what de has stated on the subject , thats all we have 

I dont see why umbras would be useless, whats the point of hyping this up and all, if it isnt useful.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ksaero said:

And now imagine someone coming to Warframe forums and posting "screw Warframe, gimme Destiny 3!"

It's the same thing you're doing here.

why would i imagine that? i genuinely want to play khora. news flash - peope like different things

1 hour ago, Aleksi134 said:

I dont see why umbras would be useless, whats the point of hyping this up and all, if it isnt useful.

Indeed. It then opens the door to arguments trying to define or quantify "useful". Useful in defense? In survival? In Hydron?

Personally, I don't understand where the useful/useless arguments are coming from. DE said Umbras would be different, not useful per se. Since every frame has a particular niche and purpose, arguing whether or not Umbras will be "useful" is akin to asking if Valkyr is useful, or if Saryn is useful when the two serve completely different purposes and have separate use cases, making Valkyr useless for wide-area CC and Saryn useless for head-on melee on Mot.

Edited by Jarriaga

1 hour ago, Talinthis said:

why would i imagine that? i genuinely want to play khora. news flash - peope like different things

It's totally ok to like different things, but it's strange when you come to a thread about the thing you don't like to tell everyone you'd rather have the thing you like.

• Like 1

As these are new variants of the frames, they might make the first three frames made as umbra specific? Maybe? 

Side thought, what if Umbra is a different faction. The reasoning behind this is there are different weapon variants, such as: Telos, Vandal, Vaykor. So what if Umbra is made by another faction, stats may be more or less the same, but the system may be different (example how Cernos Prime shoots multiple arrows and Tiberon Prime has many modes other than their conterparts) So maybe they might implement the red veil as it's energy source? 

And maybe Exalted Blade might have different modes such as Dual, Heavy, Rapier style, Throwable Exalted Blade which one could switch through. Or maybe Umbra can steal other Warframe powers? (Maybe they'll make a Warframe like that) 

But back to the point. Considering they are a different variants (and according to my first thought compared to weapon variants) but not all frames will get Umbra. SO Umbra must have a power, role or something which is similar to all Umbra variants. 

Alright looked it up. An "Umbra" is when two sources of light overlap and it creates a shadow behind it. [Look it up] So another theory is that Umbra is a mixture of two Frames. Or could be a mixture of two energy sources, like the Red Veil and the Void. OR could mean that two different faction (For example Orokin and Sentinals or two other factions) happened to make a Warframe by giving it 2 different things.  

1 hour ago, Ksaero said:

It's totally ok to like different things, but it's strange when you come to a thread about the thing you don't like to tell everyone you'd rather have the thing you like.

now you are just putting words in my mouth, i never said i did or didn't like something. i simply know what khora has to offer and therefore am more interested in that than something we know relatively little about. my first comment is basically because khora is announced to be out before christmas in december, which was kaiboshed a week before it was supposed to happen. its been 3 years for umbra, my hype has come and gone. still looking forward to it though.

Completely my opinion and theoretical

What if Excalibur umbra isn't just a prime version. What if it's a completely different frame. Like what if it was an experimental frame that was being worked on by the orokin but it was never used and got locked up or something. That would explain the prime look. It's basically like the orokin were doing a rework of the Excalibur and the results of that work were never seen. It's completely theoretical though.

For the easily triggered... Please don't

In my own head canon, Umbra Frames were those responsible for the murder of the Orokin on that fateful day. This is hinted at when the Stalker seems surprised and hesitates upon seeing the Tenno separated from a Warframe. He bore witness to the slaughter, but apparently was not aware of what Operators were, so it could be that what he and the other Low Guardians saw were rogue Warframes rebelling against their creators, and not the Tenno.

Why would they do such a thing? The reasons are copious. For one, it's no secret that the Orokin were heavily corrupt, decadent, and dangerous even unto themselves. Perhaps a certain subset of Frames, those without an Operator, capable of enacting their own will sensed (Or even uncovered) the betrayal of the Orokin to dispose of their weapons (Tenno, Frames) and struck first. It could be possible that Umbras played a major role in the downfall of the Empire.