(XB1)EternalDrk Mako

Umbra warframes [Discussion & Appreciation][*spoilers*]

16 hours ago, EpicBred said:

I usually think of umbra as the opposite of prime.

We might get a new location/tile set, imagine how epic a dark void would be, black and gold instead of white and gold.

And when talking about excalibur, his theme is light. Shadow(umbra) just fits really well as a twist to that theme. His radial blind could cast a shadow over an area instead of blinding them with bright light, they might even add a small extra mechanic to that like extra dmg with your exalted blade (which is now ... made out of shadows) while in that area or have it move with you or something. But they dont have to.

I would be happy if would just be that thematic shift just changing the effects and names of his and other "umbras" abilities.

Btw that may be what they meant when they said not every frame would have an umbra, because umbra just refers to excaliburs "opposite form". Although it would probably be difficult to keep track of if every frame had its own extra name.

Interesting idea.

Umbra Slash dash - You dash with a binding shadow blade

Umbra Radial Blind - Instead of blinding them light, you take away the light in their eyes and bind them with the shadows and works kind of like a AoE

Umbra Javelin - Sends blades with dark powers. Pierces them and binds them to a spot, the reach also extends past the enemies it hits

It can also work like this. If anyone is familiar with the game "Spiderman web of shadows", Symbiote Spidey does this little stomp on the ground and the ground releases shadow like tentacles. 

Umbra Exalted blade - Works slight different to normal Exalted blade, the waves binds the enemies in shadows and is a destruction of shadows

The Umbra Radial Blind can also create a darker effect on the map

description of normal Excalibur abilities: 

https://www.warframe.com/game/warframes/excalibur

Edited by CaptainStrawberry
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Thaylien said:

You would be right, except that DE got a massive influx of their team returning, after the other project they were working on fell through. This means that Venus has a lot more people working on it, and Steve himself was the one slowing up The Sacrifice, because he's the one that concepts and works on the script first.

Ahhh, good to know.  Can you validate and elaborate?  

22 minutes ago, CaptainStrawberry said:

Interesting idea.

Umbra Slash dash - You dash with a binding shadow blade

Umbra Radial Blind - Instead of blinding them light, you take away the light in their eyes and bind them with the shadows and works kind of like a AoE

Umbra Javelin - Sends blades with dark powers. Pierces them and binds them to a spot, the reach also extends past the enemies it hits

It can also work like this. If anyone is familiar with the game "Spiderman web of shadows", Symbiote Spidey does this little stomp on the ground and the ground releases shadow like tentacles. 

Umbra Exalted blade - Works slight different to normal Exalted blade, the waves binds the enemies in shadows and is a destruction of shadows

The Umbra Radial Blind can also create a darker effect on the map

description of normal Excalibur abilities: 

https://www.warframe.com/game/warframes/excalibur

Thats literally the same as normal excal just reskinned. Not bad idea if sacrifice quest itself didnt have so much put into it and umbra was seperate reskinned excal but it isnt.

• Applause 1

6 minutes ago, (PS4)Silverback73 said:

Ahhh, good to know.  Can you validate and elaborate?  

We know that Steve writes the original script for each quest from his Twitter, recently he released this on there:

Spoiler

Dad8ENPU8AI5G2c.jpg:large

Combine that with the DevStream 109 comments about having their first read through of the dialogue, and that there will be no more news about the Quest on DevStreams, it likely means that they're happy with enough of the script now to begin full production.

But we know about the change to their Dev Team and what they were previously working on because they announced the game 'The Amazing Eternals' last year, and have since ceased production. Sad, I know, because I wanted to see what that was going to be like.

https://www.digitalextremes.com/news/2017/08/founders-program-revealed

34 minutes ago, Hypernaut1 said:

We have no idea what DE is working on. Those people could be working on a new project. I'm sure DE is constantly trying to expand beyond Warframe behind closed doors.

On DevStream 108, where the 'Frame Fighter' game mode was previewed, they said that the developers of that were a couple of people from the Amazing Eternals team, having returned to the main studio and started working on Warframe again.

So yeah, there's a few things that must be new and different that DE are working on, as Hypernaut1 says, but they're all to do with Warframe right now.

After Amazing Eternals didn't fly and shut down at Christmas, they'll likely spend a few more months consolidating and concepting before they launch out onto a new game entirely as they tried to do there, so we can expect a few blissful months of full-capacity team attention to Warframe.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

Good topic :clem:

On a serious note; Umbra is going to be the biggest blunder in this game's history. Not a single thing DE can do to match the hype players built.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

15 minutes ago, trst said:

Good topic :clem:

On a serious note; Umbra is going to be the biggest blunder in this game's history. Not a single thing DE can do to match the hype players built.

people are still hyped for umbra? I don't understand how someone can have to emotional fortitude to hold onto hype that long. At this point the only way I can be disappointed is if it doesn't add ANTHING new to the gameplay feel considering how long they kept pushing the idea that they wanted it to be something more than a new skin or like another level of prime. Hell umbra could just be a frame that got controlled by the old S#&$ty specter AI when you jump into Operator and i'd be like "ehh cool"

Edited by Jakorak
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Thaylien said:

We know that Steve writes the original script for each quest from his Twitter, recently he released this on there:

Reveal hidden contents

Combine that with the DevStream 109 comments about having their first read through of the dialogue, and that there will be no more news about the Quest on DevStreams, it likely means that they're happy with enough of the script now to begin full production.

But we know about the change to their Dev Team and what they were previously working on because they announced the game 'The Amazing Eternals' last year, and have since ceased production. Sad, I know, because I wanted to see what that was going to be like.

On DevStream 108, where the 'Frame Fighter' game mode was previewed, they said that the developers of that were a couple of people from the Amazing Eternals team, having returned to the main studio and started working on Warframe again.

So yeah, there's a few things that must be new and different that DE are working on, as Hypernaut1 says, but they're all to do with Warframe right now.

After Amazing Eternals didn't fly and shut down at Christmas, they'll likely spend a few more months consolidating and concepting before they launch out onto a new game entirely as they tried to do there, so we can expect a few blissful months of full-capacity team attention to Warframe.

Interesting.  The fans have had their Voice heard.  They want more Warframe development in all aspects in this Generation and beyond.

.I hope Steve is ok with that and still passionate about it.

35 minutes ago, Jakorak said:

people are still hyped for umbra?

Just watch any latest devstream's chat to find out.

13 hours ago, Thaylien said:

Reveal hidden contents

Well Geoff is working closely with Steve on the quests aswell. I believe they are both making the script.

17 hours ago, EighthGear said:

Steve said they wanted to ship Umbra as well as Venus open world before Tennocon, but I don't see that happening anytime soonTM. Not that I hold that against them, Venus probably has priority over Umbra at the moment, given the fact it's the big content update the community has been yearning for.

Are you serious? We've been waiting for umbra since the first time [DE]Rebecca said that ot would be coming to the global build back in 2015. Most of the released content in the meantime, PoE included, are ideas that popped up later during the development, so saying that people has been yearning for Venus Open World, a thing that popped up only after the release of PoE, makes nothing but undermine the long wait for Umbra.

17 hours ago, EighthGear said:

My prediction for Umbra release would be around end of August. Perhaps we get another teaser at Tennocon? Who knows.

Teasing the same content 2 times in different versions of the same annual convention would actually say a lot of awful stuff about DE. I wouldn't mind a teaser this year... if we had not have one back in 2017.

• Applause 2

Whatever happened to Kingpin Assassinations? They've gotten less press than Umbra.

Edited by Mints

19 hours ago, Stormandreas said:

They do.

Recently, Khora, BEFORE 2018. Now 4 months in.
IPS changes also promised before 2018. Scrapped.
Umbra, promised like... 2.5 years ago. Meant to be this year? we'll see.
And updates on Wednesday. Don't make me laugh XD

A lie is when someone intentionally says something false with the intent of deceiving. Neither of these is an example of that.

1. Khora was indeed stated to be coming out before 2018 but then they had to postpone it because the changes that her kit was built around were scrapped because of massive player feedback.

2. The IPS changes were canceled because a large majority of players didn't want them. If I promise to bring you a snack, bring you chocolate, and then you tell me you don't like chocolate then I didn't lie to you. You just didn't want what I was offering. Players didn't like what they were offering so the changes were canceled.

3. Umbra was promised and is being shipped with the Sacrifice. Exactly how have they lied about Umbra?

• Applause 4
  • Upvote 2