Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Umbra warframes [Discussion & Appreciation][*spoilers*]

51 minutes ago, (XB1)EternalDrk Mako said:

looks like a tachi shirasaya 

Glad others are proficient in these things.

With some time to ponder, what if:

A. It's a new weapon & style.

B. Umbra's unique trait is to have a martial weapon only they can use. At least for Excalibur in this case, maybe other possibilitys for other Umbras.

50 minutes ago, LazerSkink said:

actually

She fails to adress that DE themselves claimed to be "working on it" for the last 3 years, that her own changyou faq post states that they want to release umbra asap, that during all of that time steve kept saying "it's gonna be great" and that only this year (february?) Steve recognized that during all of the time saying "we're working on it" nothing had been actually done.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, (PS4)vl_Monarch_lv said:

It's not incorrect to blame both sides of this.

However... one side has all the power, all the info, and makes the deadlines.

So...

I would think it's the players with self control who have all the power.

So much for taking responsibility for our actions. Sure can't wait for the advertising campaigns that add another drag to the budget just to repeatedly tell you at every possible turn "You stop that, stop being excited, it's not coming out anytime soon" or "it's gonna be another cool entry but it's not that great, maybe a 6/10 at best."

Should we also start auto-locking threads discussing unreleased content? Can't risk the hype after all.

Edited by Beartornado

2 minutes ago, ----Legacy---- said:

that only this year (february?) Steve recognized that during all of the time saying "we're working on it" nothing had been actually done.

Perhaps the “working on it” could’ve been the planning or brainstorming for how they could piece the story together. It’s just like writing a paper. The hardest part is developing the thesis. Once you have that down, everything after is a breeze.

Edited by (XB1)OTF SERENiTY
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, ----Legacy---- said:

She fails to adress that DE themselves claimed to be "working on it" for the last 3 years, that her own changyou faq post states that they want to release umbra asap, that during all of that time steve kept saying "it's gonna be great" and that only this year (february?) Steve recognized that during all of the time saying "we're working on it" nothing had been actually done.

Not disagreeing with that, it’s actually what I feel too. Just pointing something out is all.

Edited by LazerSkink
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Beartornado said:

I would think it's the players with self control who have all the power.

So much for taking responsibility for our actions. Sure can't wait for the advertising campaigns that add another drag to the budget just to repeatedly tell you at every possible turn "You stop that, stop being excited, it's not coming out anytime soon" or "it's gonna be another cool entry but it's not that great, maybe a 6/10 at best."

Should we also start auto-locking threads discussing unreleased content? Can't risk the hype after all.

Emphasis is mine. There seems to be a great deal of responsibility debate over this one. It's not someone else's fault nor responsibility that we get excited over a thing, that's our fault & our responsibility to do within reason. It's your brain and emotions, people, DE has nada to do with how you go about processing hype.

Edited by Nyx219
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, (XB1)OTF SERENiTY said:

Perhaps the “working on it” could’ve been the planning or brainstorming for how they could piece the story together. 

Steve recognized during a personal stream that they had done actually nothing about the sacrifice yet, he even apologized for it and for releasing the apostasy prologue without even having any idea on how to follow the story from there which implies that brainstorming had not given any result in those three years, because they kept sending it in the backburner to prioritize any of the plethora of things released while we were waiting for umbra (such as all frames, rom Nezha, Wukong and Atlas to Khora and entirely new content such as Lunaro, TWW, or even a rebalance of the weapons in game)

With that in mind and given that DE is a small studio, I guess we can safely say that DE actually did no progress on Umbra/the sacrifice while claiming "we're working on it but won't show anything, now stfu and go back to wait and have this little <insert frame name and sidequest> in the meantime"

Edited by ----Legacy----

1 minute ago, ----Legacy---- said:

Steve recognized during a personal stream that they had done actually nothing about the sacrifice yet, he even apologized for it and for releasing the apostasy prologue without even having any idea on how to follow the story from there which implies that brainstorming had not given any result in those three years, because they kept sending it in the backburner to prioritize any of the plethora of things released while we were waiting for umbra (such as all frames, rom Nezha, Wukong and Atlas to Khora and entirely new content such as Lunaro, TWW, or even a rebalance of the weapons in game)

With that in mind and given that DE is a small studio, I guess we can safely say that DE actually did no progress on Umbra/the sacrifice while claiming "we're working on it but won't show anything"

Be that as it may, it's worth remembering "patience is a virtue" and "all things come to those who wait". Some of the best phrases in the English language to temper oneself with in life.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nyx219 said:

Be that as it may, it's worth remembering "patience is a virtue" and "all things come to those who wait". Some of the best phrases in the English language to temper oneself with in life.

But waiting for 3 years for something that should have only taken a few months is just absurd.

Just because they weren't directly building this update doesn't necessarily mean they weren't working on it. They could have created an initial concept and then needed two or three more updates to get the story ready for that concept. Maybe the Quills will have a part?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, (XB1)Kavriel said:

Just because they weren't directly building this update doesn't necessarily mean they weren't working on it. They could have created an initial concept and then needed two or three more updates to get the story ready for that concept. Maybe the Quills will have a part?

You're grasping at straws there, they most likely make something and say "that would fit with what we are doing here" rather than make said thing with intent.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SnivicDelta said:

But waiting for 3 years for something that should have only taken a few months is just absurd.

Except you aren't just getting Umbra. Not the one that you've been waiting for. If you've been wanting the Umbra that's like the one in the Chinese version, you are probably not getting it, since it's been implied that this version will be different.
The Umbra that will be released in the Sacrifice will be a different entity with the same skin and name.
But it's not that Umbra. It's a unique one, tied to The Sacrifice, which they could not have just put out three years ago. In that sense, it's in no way absurd.
Your Umbra, that could have just been released whenever is a different one.
Your Umbra just isn't ever gonna be released.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ----Legacy---- said:

With that in mind and given that DE is a small studio, I guess we can safely say that DE actually did no progress on Umbra/the sacrifice while claiming "we're working on it but won't show anything, now stfu and go back to wait and have this little <insert frame name and sidequest> in the meantime"

It was so clear to me that they weren't working on it for years when they would say they were working on it. It's not right for DE to act like players are somehow wrong for being impatient and inevitably being disappointed after The Sacrifice fails to live up to hype. The main reason players care about The Sacrifice is Umbra. Sacrifice exists ultimately because DE wanted to justify adding Umbra without it being essentially non-Excalibur-Prime. Umbra and Sacrifice are one. The significance of the quest is because of the frame. The reason the hype exists is because of the frame. So it's wrong, imo, for Rebecca to preemptively criticize players who will feel let down because the quest doesn't live up to the hype. If DE had been upfront with players, and completed Umbra when they said they would, we wouldn't be in this situation. Maybe, most likely, it's better now than it would've been back then. But that doesn't excuse the lack of honesty surrounding their statements about Umbra throughout the years. DE has a bad habit of not acknowledging and taking responsibility for their mistakes. The Umbra wait was a big mistake on DE's part because they weren't honest about their work on it, and only Steve acknowledged that mistake.

This is not the time for DE to be criticizing their players. We can all wait a few more days for the quest, and can temper our expectations. But those who don't shouldn't be criticized.

Edited by A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, SnivicDelta said:

If that's the kind of quality you want, I hear that Star Trek: Online is available.

Seriously, never knock when something takes a long time to make, the end result is nearly always worth it. As a former player of it, I give you STO as an example of how kowtowing to fans & rushing things backfires.

1 minute ago, NeroAugustine said:

Except you aren't just getting Umbra. Not the one that you've been waiting for. If you've been wanting the Umbra that's like the one in the Chinese version, you are probably not getting it, since it's been implied that this version will be different.
The Umbra that will be released in the Sacrifice will be a different entity with the same skin and name.
But it's not that Umbra. It's a unique one, tied to The Sacrifice, which they could not have just put out three years ago. In that sense, it's in no way absurd.
Your Umbra, that could have just been released whenever is a different one.
Your Umbra just isn't ever gonna be released.

They announced 3 years ago they would bring Excal Umbra to our build and that is what I expected, and in that regard they are going to deliver... way to late.

If that's the kind of quality you want, I hear that Star Trek: Online is available.

Seriously, never knock when something takes a long time to make, the end result is nearly always worth it. As a former player of it, I give you STO as an example of how kowtowing to fans & rushing things backfires.

It did not take DE three years to make Umbra. It took them months. They just decided to come up with the idea for the quest last year, and decided to start working on it this year.

• Like 1

I'm not judging quality so to speak (although I still feel like it is going to be lower than usual) I'm more concerned about Quantity vs Time, what we are getting versus how long we waited. Knowing DE it will be the typical maybe 2 hour long quest then back to the same old S#&amp;&#036;ty grind.  

32 minutes ago, (XB1)OTF SERENiTY said:

The hardest part is developing the thesis. Once you have that down, everything after is a breeze.

As a relatively recent grad, this resonates with me on every level.

• Like 2