Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Umbra warframes [Discussion & Appreciation][*spoilers*]

I'm pretty sure that Umbras are warframes that have basically severed their transference with their operators. The thing is - how would this even fit into the lore? That's the real question. 

Also, after watching AGGP's latest video, it has made me think that perhaps Umbras are related to the resurrection of the Dark Sector system. Perhaps Umbra must be looked at from a PvP perspective. Perhaps Umbras won't even be hostile...this could be related to the "playing the Stalker" mechanic that was revealed during a panel during Tennocon. 

Edited by Umbrapocalypse

2 minutes ago, Umbrapocalypse said:

I'm pretty sure that Umbras are warframes that have basically severed their transference with their operators. The thing is - how would this even fit into the lore? That's the real question. 

I don't see why it wouldn't fit into the lore, There's nothing i know about that conflicts with this being possible since we know barely anything about what a warframe actually is

34 minutes ago, CaptainStrawberry said:

Here is one way to make Excal Umbra different to his variant. Example he goes exalted blade but it's not all swoosh swoosh, he actually has different combos. 

I am hoping he has a new stance. If he doesn't I'm going to ask for one, certainly :P

Let's start from the basics, what we DO know: 

Ballas' narration in the trailer, word for word. 

“If you could trade...would you? Surely...but all miracles require sacrifice...for their life...YOURS.”

What Steve said: 

"This quest is going to be more about the warframes and what they actually are." 

Let me use some formatting so you guys can work off of this and logically lay out some possibilities. Let's just throw out some 'facts' so we can reduce the number of permutations of what Umbra is, basically. 

FACT: Obtaining Umbra will no way involve sacrificing our warframes or operators. 

Considering that we will obtain the Umbra, we will have to take over the frame, or whatever it is. It must be an operational frame. 

Hence, the sacrifice does not involve us. Then who does it involve? 

“If you [who?] could trade...would you? Surely...but all miracles [what miracle?] require sacrifice [of what nature?]...for their [who's?] life...YOURS [the who from the beginning].”

Who is Ballas talking to? 

Have any of these key words like "sacrifice" or "trade" or "miracle" ever been used in Warframe before? Perhaps the community to think together and try to remember. 

The key to figuring out who or what Umbra is involves (1) us determining WHO Ballas is talking too all the time in these trailers and (2) and who "theirs", i.e. some group of people, are. 

There is speculation that Ballas is talking to Margulis, since this is only person we've officially seen (or heard) Ballas talking to. For example, in The Second Dream, Ballas is talking to Margulis. We haven't seen him talking to anyone else so far. 

As I wrote this, some insight hit me:

The "who" is Margulis. 

The "theirs" are the operators/Zarimon kids/Tenno. 

So basically, in order to save the lives of the operators, Margulis gave her life for us. The quest will be about her sacrifice and what she went through to save us. 

Now before go any further, let me refer to this older but detailed thread by @Slamminslug about the nature of the Warframes. This was back in 2016. 

https://forums.warframe.com/topic/703742-the-controlled-strain-theory-sd-spoilers/

Let's just postulate (and think many of us have known for some time) that the Warframes are certainly independent of operators, that they were created by the Orokin, that they are indeed their own bodies, and that they're related to the infested (or the technocyte technology). 

Warframes could operate without operators. They can operate without operators - yet the kids with void powers from the Zarimon kids came to control these Warframes (or some of them, until certain warframes like the Shadow Stalker freed himself from Tenno control, as evidenced at the end of The Second Dream). Apparently, even Hunhow was surprised by the sentience of the warframe (how it saved the operator's life and it destroyed the Shadow Stalker). And why does Hunhow start calling the Stalker "Shadow" starting with The Second Dream (which happens to be the same time that Stalker starting wearing Umbra armor). What was DE's logic in doing all this? What even led them to create the Stalker to begin with? What's the underlying conspiracy here?

How does this all tie in?

I want to know what the "miracle" is. Once we figure out what the miracle is, we will be able to successfully predict what the Umbra is. 

So far, I have no idea. Well, I do I have one. I think the miracle, based on contextual clues (what Steve said about this quest) involves either the sentience of the warframes or the ability for operators to control the warframes. 

This is very baffling. I have a feeling that it has something to do with the respirator sounds we heard from the trailer (like someone was on life support or something) and that prime operator pod looking thing (which someone has already discovered on Lua, as seen earlier in this thread). 

Edited by Umbrapocalypse

4 hours ago, Umbrapocalypse said:

Also, after watching AGGP's latest video, it has made me think that perhaps Umbras are related to the resurrection of the Dark Sector system. Perhaps Umbra must be looked at from a PvP perspective. Perhaps Umbras won't even be hostile...this could be related to the "playing the Stalker" mechanic that was revealed during a panel during Tennocon. 

."..for their life...YOURS " 

That's it, we will be able to invade players, the sacrifice, get it?

Just like Primes has that mode of getting energy from the void orbs or how it is called.

Umbras will be able to invade people and get maybe damage bonus or power bonus if you successfully kill another tenno.

I just thought of that while reading and watching this video.

and just maybe, you can affect your reputation with Lotus, I don't know.

Since TWW or was TSD? had light dark and neutral options, that can have a turn to 2 or 3 factions of players.

Edited by Eminem37

1 hour ago, Eminem37 said:

."..for their life...YOURS " 

That's it, we will be able to invade players, the sacrifice, get it?

Just like Primes has that mode of getting energy from the void orbs or how it is called.

Umbras will be able to invade people and get maybe damage bonus or power bonus if you successfully kill another tenno.

I just thought of that while reading and watching this video.

and just maybe, you can affect your reputation with Lotus, I don't know.

Since TWW or was TSD? had light dark and neutral options, that can have a turn to 2 or 3 factions of players.

I see your point. 

Your proposition made me think of this:

If we want to look at it from an economics perspective, Umbra cannot be greater than Prime, because Prime is what brings most of DE's money in (besides those 'noobs' like me who buy frames with platinum lol). 

That means that Umbra is going to have a different set of mechanics then normal/prime warframes, and that in order to tap into these mechanics, we'll have to give something up during that period of time, aka "sacrifice" something. 

Perhaps Umbra will just be like a sixth focus school or something. Perhaps it will be a focus path that draws dark energy from the void, kind of like the different forms of lightsaber combat in the Star Wars universe. 

Perhaps Steve is in the mood for fulfilling the wishes of the edgelord players (like me) who've always looked up to the Stalker and his fighting style. Maybe Umbra is just the beginning of that. 

On 10/07/2017 at 3:56 PM, (PS4)StellarPotato said:

so wow the tennocon stuff huh.

i admit i never saw them taking on a challenge like the planes of eidolon.

im curious to see how this shapes the game going forward. will we end up with more open world spaces of varying styles and locations?

i feel like that would allow much richer sense of story and connected state of the galaxy.

it would make it easier to breathe life into the game.

make it feel like the universe moves.

what do you think about it?

umbra.

i tend to feel like the odd gal out on this one as i dont care about excal umbra beyond the lore bits.

im still not sure what to think.

but i may be misinformed on how umbra will work if we were told anything.

if its just excals powers ill pass on using it i expect.

Your thoughts?

HARROW

harrow. i really want harrow. i think he looks cool and i like his concept alot.

plus im really keen to get the lore with his quest.

so far ive enjoyed pretty much every quest for warframe, the more lore the heavy the better.

as pc people may respond to this please no spoilers for harrow quest.

De just got back from Tennocon so everyone is still working on Harrow because of the detour 

This discovery has also been posted on the Umbra megathread as well, fyi. 

30 minutes ago, (Xbox One)OTF SERENiTY said:

This has been in the game since the second dream. Players used to think that the ship thingy was Liset Prime, lol.

But I think it's strange that DE will pick this as the set for the trailer. Has anyone tried running around the place and seeing of there are any clues? Can someone lead me to it so I can know where it is? I've been looking all over Lua for it but I don't know which side of the map it's on or which wall to break. 

Well at least I know how to break the wall now. 

Edited by Umbrapocalypse

18 minutes ago, puppycorpse said:

I found a secret room. u cant get in there unless u use your operators beam. so u don't know what ur talking about. I destroyed a wall with my operator by accident to unlock the room.

This video is not mine, skip to 0:18

This was uploaded almost 4 months ago.

1 minute ago, puppycorpse said:

he still didn't open the wall and find what we did. even if he was there 4 months ago it doesn't show anything to what we found.

1 minute ago, puppycorpse said:

friends going to post the video of us going there a second time.

I just found it myself. There's literally nothing there. It's an empty room with a couple of crates, but nothing else. The overall "chamber" has been around for ages.

You essentially found a hole in a wall.