Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Umbra warframes [Discussion & Appreciation][*spoilers*]

I don't think that they are going t o do an operator sacrifice thing, because in the TennoLive stream, they are adding armor for operators in the open world update. Plus, sacrificing operators would have to deal with plat issues, and stuff like that. I honestly think that umbra warframes are going to have the same abilities that the normal versions of the warframe has, but modified like augment mods. Like maybe Mag's umbra for her first ability will be an AOE push instead of a pull, and we have to sacrifice mag augments, and warframes to be able to unlock her umbra form. But that's just my theory! :)

I've seen a lot of speculation regarding the "sacrifice" and how we are going to make it, and that its probably connected with the dark side of the medallion.

Listen to me, the voice in the teaser about umbra was not talking to us, but to whatever is connected with the Warframes past. Also the devs would never make us make choice that would limit our gameplay or equipment.

And the part that talks about what the title actually says. The Tenno have basically three sides to chose from, we got that confirmed from the infested room dialog.

Light

Dark

Twilight/balanced

So unless they bring something for the other two sides I doubt that umbra is tied with this system.

Unless dark and balanced gain access to umbra and light gets buffs, but that is not likely.

What is likely is that we get different buffs according to our side, maybe even some specific powers. And it will probably tie in to the new Tenno mechanics they showed that are in the works, more ways to make the operator more useful in combat.

What do you all think?

They wont kill the operator for sure, they did wayyy to much to introduce him and they will add armour and weapons (focusing lens or something) for operator. To kill him in next update after that would be stupid. But how it might play out - we might get a first npc operator to then decide what to do with him. Thats my guess in terms of choice in that next quest.

1 minute ago, Xardis said:

They wont kill the operator for sure, they did wayyy to much to introduce him and they will add armour and weapons (focusing lens or something) for operator. To kill him in next update after that would be stupid. But how it might play out - we might get a first npc operator to then decide what to do with him. Thats my guess in terms of choice in that next quest.

That's my guess/hope.

52 minutes ago, kasalaba said:

So unless they bring something for the other two sides I doubt that umbra is tied with this system.

Unless dark and balanced gain access to umbra and light gets buffs, but that is not likely.

What about Light giving buff or whatever advantage with Primes and Dark for Umbras

Regarding the Sacrifice part, I'm not 100% convinced it is necessarily someone who'll die. It can perfectly another kind of Sacrifice. Perhaps we will sacrifice our freedom to definitely bind ourselves to one Warframe. That'd just be lore-wise of course, you'll still be able to play with everything in your Arsenal, but maybe you'll be able to only have one Umbra at a time, and the Umbra Warframe may be mandatory for a dedicated mission-type.

My idea of how the Umbra quest could turn out is you get 2 choices:

1st Dark - Your operator gets killed and you get a more powerful version of Warframes, starting with Excalibur.

And 2nd Light  - You have the choice to reject to use the Umbra Frame and just keep your normal frames and keep using Operator mode.

The 3rd "balance" choice could be, the warframe you're wearing gets destroyed, in-cinematic of course, while in Operator Mode, and you, the Umbra can just abandon the Operator there instead of killing him/her.

no operator means no working frame, rell' soul was transferred to warframe but only this warframe, he couldnt use another

WHY IT POSTED SOMETHING WHAT I WROTE EARLIER IN OTHER TOPIC... DE REPAIR THIS PLX

Edited by Baterial
god dam... writing mobile hurts af...

40 minutes ago, Xardis said:

i was mentioning sacrificing operator but not killing him. I was thinking more about him getting critical damage to body,  occuring to coma or something like this

17 minutes ago, Ricardo58 said:

My idea of how the Umbra quest could turn out is you get 2 choices:

1st Dark - Your operator gets killed and you get a more powerful version of Warframes, starting with Excalibur.

And 2nd Light  - You have the choice to reject to use the Umbra Frame and just keep your normal frames and keep using Operator mode.

The 3rd "balance" choice could be, the warframe you're wearing gets destroyed, in-cinematic of course, while in Operator Mode, and you, the Umbra can just abandon the Operator there instead of killing him/her.

Nope. Too many gameplay and lore and mechanics restrictions following this. Don't hype your self too much. It will be a fancy quest. Possibly with a new frame, the excal umbra, but it will do nothing to existing systems. The DE said that it will have nothing to do with the Tenno, just the origin of the frames.

So that means no operator killings for us.

58 minutes ago, Xardis said:

Maybe it's just a "Warframe Prestige Mode" and all you have to do to get him is "die" and be reborn at a reset MR 0 with a special "Umbra" symbol next to your new MR  *Runs and hides*.

Hope you laughed.

Edited by (PS4)Silverback73

10 hours ago, LordOfScrugging said:

Exalted blade in general needs a second pass. It's a sword, not a fluctus. Don't get me wrong, the waves come in handy, but it feels cheap at the end of the day.

It only feels cheap if constantly used without changing playstyle.

4 hours ago, TheGodofWiFi said:

There are plenty of swords in games that create energy waves when you swing them. Destiny has apparently introduced it as well.

The waves are the only thing people use Exalted Blade for. Why on earth would anyone want to take them away? They've been nerfed already. Taking the waves away would only result in people just using their normal melee weapons which are already much more powerful with the Blood Rush and Body Count combo, thereby making Exalted Blade obsolete.

People need to stop asking for nerfs to perfectly adequate abilities. 

Indeed. They should focus their attention elsewhere, like how to deal with enemy scaling.

12 hours ago, CaptainStrawberry said:

Here is one way to make Excal Umbra different to his variant. Example he goes exalted blade but it's not all swoosh swoosh, he actually has different combos. 

That would be nice to see in combination with different visuals on the Umbra's exalted blade (assuming he has no differences kit wise (additional passive still unknown)).

The damage bonuses and forced procs could stay the same or be differently distributed across the stance.

Edited by Corial
Morning events

14 minutes ago, Corial said:

It only feels cheap if constantly used without changing playstyle.

Indeed. They should focus their attention elsewhere, like how to deal with enemy scaling.

That would be nice to see in combination with different visuals on the Umbra's exalted blade (assuming he has no differences kit wise (additional passive still unknown)).

The damage bonuses and forced procs could stay the same or be differently distributed across the stance.

Oh, there might be ;)

11 hours ago, Umbrapocalypse said:

I see your point. 

Your proposition made me think of this:

If we want to look at it from an economics perspective, Umbra cannot be greater than Prime, because Prime is what brings most of DE's money in (besides those 'noobs' like me who buy frames with platinum lol). 

That means that Umbra is going to have a different set of mechanics then normal/prime warframes, and that in order to tap into these mechanics, we'll have to give something up during that period of time, aka "sacrifice" something. 

Perhaps Umbra will just be like a sixth focus school or something. Perhaps it will be a focus path that draws dark energy from the void, kind of like the different forms of lightsaber combat in the Star Wars universe. 

Perhaps Steve is in the mood for fulfilling the wishes of the edgelord players (like me) who've always looked up to the Stalker and his fighting style. Maybe Umbra is just the beginning of that. 

Makes sense, if umbra is just the dark version of primes, then it must be equally powerful changing just the gameplay mechanic.

Still, there is other ways to make money, they can just start selling Umbra intead of Prime, but the way of adquiring is different, instead of parts on the end of the voids (or after some updates, the void fissure drop) you get from a boss, but surprisely the boss you are fightning to drop these parts are the umbras themselves, aka fight excalibur umbra to get excalibur umbra parts, and the good thing of that is, they can be Lua bosses.

Leaving us with, Void for primes, and Lua for Umbras.

I ever thought of playing as stalker when I first saw stalker invading people back when Warframe was created, or an invasion mechanic, that would be a lot of game changing, I love invasions, specially how Dark Souls invasion works, and for my knowledge DE likes Dark Souls a lot, there was plenty of Devstreams they talked about Dark Souls mechanics if I remember correctly.

Still, would be cool.. Umbra armor, Umbra scarfs, Umbra liset skin, I would buy that.

Edited by Eminem37

Yeah more than likely there will be Umbra packs on sale as is with Primes, atleast thats the most logical thing to expect.The bossfight for parts also sounds good but I can expect them to make it so that it works similar to relics(maybe bring back void keys for this?) so that they don't make it too easy to access the Umbra.Oh and yeah Excal Umbra will more then likely be a reward from the quest itself as there were conditions in agreement with Chinese release mentioned few pages ago on how it can't be released(drop,purchase,...) if those are correct.

Edited by (PS4)reddragonhrcro

I think that when umbra update is com on pc,that we are going to have more then 1 umbra version. For example we know for excal umbra version. And that we are going to unlock umbra frame not with platinum or like prime frames. I think that is going to be like we unlock operator from quest,and that later we can have some new options just for umbra frames....

34 minutes ago, (PS4)reddragonhrcro said:

Yeah more than likely there will be Umbra packs on sale as is with Primes, atleast thats the most logical thing to expect.The bossfight for parts also sounds good but I can expect them to make it so that it works similar to relics(maybe bring back void keys for this?) so that they don't make it too easy to access the Umbra.Oh and yeah Excal Umbra will more then likely be a reward from the quest itself as there were conditions in agreement with Chinese release mentioned few pages ago on how it can't be released(drop,purchase,...) if those are correct.

Its from the Changyou article.

38 minutes ago, (PS4)reddragonhrcro said:

3 minutes ago, Corial said:

Its from the Changyou article.

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/3908840845?pn=0&

On the international forums, there has been a discussion led by Rebecca with regards to the Chinese warframe. This discussion has lead to confusion over what the Umbra Excalibur, Nikana, etc etc. Therefore, we have had a discussion with DE in that effect.

As Rebecca has mentioned, we will be release a series of Umbra warframes (not skins), it is possible that there will be an umbra Excalibur as the first of the umbra series however the "Originator's" (which means founder) umbra Excalibur prime will not be commonly available. The Umbra Excalibur Prime is an exclusive warframe developed by DE for the Chinese version of warframe and is only available to "Originators". This warframe will not appear in game to purchase under the market nor will it drop in game. We (Changyou) and DE has finalized and agreed on this and will not be changing our position on this.

In other developments, the Prime (samurai blade or Nikana) and Prime (drill/screw Kunai) will not be on sale in the market and neither will it drop for China warframe players. These weapon are also exclusive to China warfame "Originators".On the international side however, these weapons will be released under an unknown format (might be event? market? Prime Access or anything that DE can think up of) after China warframe's Originator's pack sale have concluded

1 minute ago, (Xbox One)EternalDrk Mako said:

On the international forums, there has been a discussion led by Rebecca with regards to the Chinese warframe. This discussion has lead to confusion over what the Umbra Excalibur, Nikana, etc etc. Therefore, we have had a discussion with DE in that effect.

As Rebecca has mentioned, we will be release a series of Umbra warframes (not skins), it is possible that there will be an umbra Excalibur as the first of the umbra series however the "Originator's" (which means founder) umbra Excalibur prime will not be commonly available. The Umbra Excalibur Prime is an exclusive warframe developed by DE for the Chinese version of warframe and is only available to "Originators". This warframe will not appear in game to purchase under the market nor will it drop in game. We (Changyou) and DE has finalized and agreed on this and will not be changing our position on this.

In other developments, the Prime (samurai blade or Nikana) and Prime (drill/screw Kunai) will not be on sale in the market and neither will it drop for China warframe players. These weapon are also exclusive to China warfame "Originators".On the international side however, these weapons will be released under an unknown format (might be event? market? Prime Access or anything that DE can think up of) after China warframe's Originator's pack sale have concluded

Thats the one.

26 minutes ago, (Xbox One)EternalDrk Mako said:

So what we can have umbra in quest and we can not playe with him because of china version???