Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Lunaro lessons / short clips (Fundamentals/Basics)

Funki0

Question

FIRST OF ALL: GET INTO THE PRACTICE MODE BEFORE YOU ACTUALLY TRY ANYTHING OF THIS!

Remember that you can rebind your buttons if it helps you improving or executing any of these actions.

Good day everyone. Since there are a lot of people that are complaining heavily about Lunaro either being too difficult or them just not understanding it, I want to help you.
I know there are a lot of people that say "Lunaro is just bad", but that is not true and a lot of people think that because of misconceptions and the thoughts of the Annihilation game mode.

This is supposed to help new player or even older players to improve in Lunaro.
As of now, this will contain the simplest moves of them all. Basically just the basics.

If there is a higher demand, I shall get more information for you while getting you more instructions on how to perform more advanced "tricks".
I will of course provide you with a "list of inputs" for every single move you do.

So we will start with the fundamentals.

• Remember to always hold W(default) while performing any of these actions when it starts with it. (exceptions are actions with another directional key like S(default))
  • If you are supposed to tap RMB, this means you are supposed to tap it at the height you wish for. It is there just to adjust your height or to potentially attract the ball for a split second to pick it up properly. Do not hold it for too long or you will slow down, which will most likely prevent you from smoothly executing chains (explained after the basics).

Proper ball pick up 1:

Spoiler

-Proper ball pick up 1
 (default) W+Ctrl+space>RMB(until pick up)>space+S

Proper ball pick up 2:

Spoiler

-Proper ball pick up 2
 (default) W+Ctrl+space>RMB(until pick up)>space

Proper throw:

Spoiler

-Proper throw
(default) space>LMB(long)

Proper throw 2pt:

Spoiler

-Proper throw 2pt
(Proper throw with aim from a longer distance)

Proper short range movement:

Spoiler

-Proper short range movement
 (default) W+Ctrl+space>RMB(tap)

Proper long range movement:

Spoiler

-Proper long range movement
 (default) W+Ctrl+space>space>RMB(tap)>shift(tap)

Now we move on to the basics. These will cover basic actions that you learn. You do need the fundamentals as base before you start this.
Note:
There might be commands in brackets from here on. These are "option". It depends on the situation or the angle you approach certain actions.

High velocity throw:

Spoiler

Basically just a normal throw while jumping at high velocity. Here you can see the "timing". It has a delay, so try to get used to it.

Unstable concept:

Spoiler

You basically walk up to it and just check it with E(default). You need to aim so you aim for the ball, not for yourself (note me aiming above the goal)

Unstable (Thrown):

Spoiler

(After pick up)
(default) Space>LMB>W+ctrl+Space>(Space)>(RMB)>E

Dribbling:

Spoiler

(After pick up)
(default) Space>W>LMB>ctrl+Space>Space>RMB(tap) (extra throw was just added as an example)

I hope this was helpful.
Good luck practicing and I hope I will see you on the field.

If there are any questions, don't hesitate to go for it.

Console "translation" for clarity:

• LMB = Throw
  • RMB = Aimglide/Attract
  • Space = Jump
  • W/A/S/D = Directions (Up/Left/Down/Right)
  • E = Check
  • Ctrl = Crouch/Slide
  • Shift(tap) = Roll

Advanced lessons

If you are confident enough and you think that you are at least safe or you did even master these lessons, you can proceed to my advanced lessons.
Remember everything you have learned in these lessons, because you will need it.

Spoiler

Those are my advanced lessons:

Good luck

Edited by Funki0
Added redirection to "Advanced lessons" and console translation (minor corrections)

My initial reaction upon seeing the first video's title: "Ball pickup? How lame."

My reaction after the 4 second video: "Hot damn, you can tell this guy is really good. I'll go practice ball pickups now."

Thanks for the guide. I tried Lunaro recently, and I got beat bad by someone who clearly understood the mechanics way better, now I want payback lol. 

The movement tips are especially helpful, movement in Lunaro seems to have some differences from the regular PvE game, and it takes some getting used to. It was basically me and two people against a team of two where only one guy was doing anything. 

The only thing that bothered me was that he wasn't even trying to pass to his teammate, but then the guy playing with him seemed like it was his first time, there was really only one experienced person out of the four of us. 

Are there any people who play Lunaro regularly, on any kind of schedule? I'd love to get into some games with some more people, where things are more balanced overall, and where hopefully, people are passing back and forth to each other and acting more like a team. I think Lunaro has a lot of potential, but my first experience wasn't the best, and I wonder how many people are playing it and helping others actively learn? 

4 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

Thanks for the guide. I tried Lunaro recently, and I got beat bad by someone who clearly understood the mechanics way better, now I want payback lol. 

The movement tips are especially helpful, movement in Lunaro seems to have some differences from the regular PvE game, and it takes some getting used to. It was basically me and two people against a team of two where only one guy was doing anything. 

The only thing that bothered me was that he wasn't even trying to pass to his teammate, but then the guy playing with him seemed like it was his first time, there was really only one experienced person out of the four of us. 

Are there any people who play Lunaro regularly, on any kind of schedule? I'd love to get into some games with some more people, where things are more balanced overall, and where hopefully, people are passing back and forth to each other and acting more like a team. I think Lunaro has a lot of potential, but my first experience wasn't the best, and I wonder how many people are playing it and helping others actively learn? 

Thanks for the feedback.
I understand that Lunaro can be difficult and you really have to get used to the movement system, but that is so special about it. Everyone is set to 1. No one is better or worst, unless they have the skill to change that.

About passing. I must admit, yes, passing is not the strongest part of good Lunaro players, but it is mostly based on the fact that they can't rely on other people (at least for me). I personally do try to pass at least a few times to see if my team can handle it and I am sure a lot of others do it too, but as I said, it is difficult. That doesn't mean it can't change though. Who knows, passing may be one of the most used actions in the future if more people are actually playing and trying to improve.

There are quite a few people playing in the later hours of the day, but those people are mostly "above average" and I don't know about lower ranks, sorry. But I am sure you will find people to play with if you communicate.
If that doesn't help or if you want more possibilities, try to reach out to the people on the conclave discord server, there is a Lunaro section you can seek to tlak to people and they may help you or play with you.

Alternatively, I can try to help you or teach you some things. That does count for everyone here by the way. Just come up to me and ask, I will answer your quesitons.

13 minutes ago, Funki0 said:

Thanks for the feedback.
I understand that Lunaro can be difficult and you really have to get used to the movement system, but that is so special about it. Everyone is set to 1. No one is better or worst, unless they have the skill to change that.

About passing. I must admit, yes, passing is not the strongest part of good Lunaro players, but it is mostly based on the fact that they can't rely on other people (at least for me). I personally do try to pass at least a few times to see if my team can handle it and I am sure a lot of others do it too, but as I said, it is difficult. That doesn't mean it can't change though. Who knows, passing may be one of the most used actions in the future if more people are actually playing and trying to improve.

There are quite a few people playing in the later hours of the day, but those people are mostly "above average" and I don't know about lower ranks, sorry. But I am sure you will find people to play with if you communicate.
If that doesn't help or if you want more possibilities, try to reach out to the people on the conclave discord server, there is a Lunaro section you can seek to tlak to people and they may help you or play with you.

Alternatively, I can try to help you or teach you some things. That does count for everyone here by the way. Just come up to me and ask, I will answer your quesitons.

I have only played a tiny bit so far, so I could be talking out of my butt, but I wonder if passing is not that common even among skilled players because the mechanic isn't particularly fluid to begin with? I mean, I haven't had a lot of time to test it, but when I tried passing, it didn't seem to work all that well. It could just be a high skill curve, but then perhaps if the skill curve for things like that were less, people would use the mechanic more. Sadly, I fear until more people start playing stuff like this, they won't dedicate the time to fix anything that turns people off, it's a catch 22 -- which is incidentally a book with a character that probably inspired Nef Anyo. ;)

I appreciate the offer, and I may take you up on it sometime soon when I have time. I really want to learn Lunaro, I actually thought it was really cool when I gave it a fair go. It just seems there aren't too many people playing in the lower levels, and I imagine the skill curve is steep. However, that really isn't a huge problem as long as I can find people active. I don't mind getting owned somewhat at first as long as I am getting into full teams or close, so knowing when people are playing is helpful. There will always be a certain learning curve in anything PvP at first, you just have to dive in to an extent. I think the biggest thing I've got to get down is the movement, and the physics of the Lunaro ball, which isn't as intuitive as I thought it would be at first. 

Edit: The guy who was owning us, his strategy was to almost never actually hold the ball until he was right by the goal. Otherwise he would just keep striking it in the direction he wanted, and he was really good at movement, so he kept outpacing us across the pitch as well. He hardly bothered to hold the ball at all. It was interesting. 

Edited by Tesseract7777

3 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

I have only played a tiny bit so far, so I could be talking out of my butt, but I wonder if passing is not that common even among skilled players because the mechanic isn't particularly fluid to begin with? I mean, I haven't had a lot of time to test it, but when I tried passing, it didn't seem to work all that well. It could just be a high skill curve, but then perhaps if the skill curve for things like that were less, people would use the mechanic more. Sadly, I fear until more people start playing stuff like this, they won't dedicate the time to fix anything that turns people off, it's a catch 22 -- which is incidentally a book with a character that probably inspired Nef Anyo. ;)

I appreciate the offer, and I may take you up on it sometime soon when I have time. I really want to learn Lunaro, I actually thought it was really cool when I gave it a fair go. It just seems there aren't too many people playing in the lower levels, and I imagine the skill curve is steep. However, that really isn't a huge problem as long as I can find people active. I don't mind getting owned somewhat at first as long as I am getting into full teams or close, so knowing when people are playing is helpful. There will always be a certain learning curve in anything PvP at first, you just have to dive in to an extent. I think the biggest thing I've got to get down is the movement, and the physics of the Lunaro ball, which isn't as intuitive as I thought it would be at first. 

Well, you are right about the things you said.You really just need to get your head into it and yes, it is true, movement is the foundation and you pretty much need it for everything, so starting with it and getting it down is a big step in itself. The next part of it would be the physics, you got everything right, I am glad to see this.

To get into passing again, yes, it is not the most popular action to just pass, but if you are really playing with only experienced people it is getting used a lot more frequently than in teams with mixed skill caps. And you can see passing like it being almost completely unknown for experienced players, well used by people that are getting better, but the use decreases a lot, the better people get, because they focus on executing certain moves or tricks instead of passing, which gets a slight change if very experienced players play with others of the same type.

And don't forget that passing is not just throw, but looking in the general direction of your teammate when pressing the R(default) key. Just saying, in case someone is wondering why passing seems so bad.

Thanks a lot, very helpful :)

I'll have more to practise, especially how to get more speed going. For some reason combinations with the CTRL key is rather difficult for me. I tried to hotkey it but that really didn't pan out well as functionality of other commands totally failed.

So how is the progress going?
I was thinking about doing the more advanced moves soon. (Still kind of basic)
The problem about adding that is demand. I don't see a lot of people asking for more or at least leaving some feedback, which is not ideal.
I would like to hear more people's opinion about this and about adding more to those lessons.

Besides that, good luck and have fun playing. I hope you improve and maybe we will meet on the field.

Thank you for taking time time out of your life to make those videos, hopefully it will encourage people to try lunaro in different ways and bring new players too. I found it really fun to practice the curve shots when i first started, ill keep and eye for the thread in case there's something i didnt knew about. Those kind of videos are always usefull, these will be very helpfull in bringing new people into the game mode and probably reduce the disparate level of skill from frequent/veteran and new players so the game can be more balanced and more fun for everybody. Thanks a lot for making them. If you make other videos and people see even more things they didnt knew about before, they could probably be more encoraged to comment about it, but yeah, hopefully this thread gets more attention, and for the people who see it, i hope they post more feedback about it. I would also like to see your efforts being more appreaciated, too, specially for trying to use part of your time to help other people. Very appreciated, and thank you very much.

Also, have you noticed a weird behavior with the curve shots after the update? It does not curve anymore, instead, it goes into a straight diagonal unless you are sliding in surface that is not flat. Idk if its only me or not, so i didnt made a thread about it.

Thanks a lot for your time, and thanks for posting the videos.

Goodbye.

2 minutes ago, Veryverylazy said:

Thank you for taking time time out of your life to make those videos, hopefully it will encourage people to try lunaro in different ways and bring new players too. I found it really fun to practice the curve shots when i first started, ill keep and eye for the thread in case there's something i didnt knew about. Those kind of videos are always usefull, these will be very helpfull in bringing new people into the game mode and probably reduce the disparate level of skill from frequent/veteran and new players so the game can be more balanced and more fun for everybody. Thanks a lot for making them. If you make other videos and people see even more things they didnt knew about before, they could probably be more encoraged to comment about it, but yeah, hopefully this thread gets more attention, and for the people who see it, i hope they post more feedback about it. I would also like to see your efforts being more appreaciated, too, specially for trying to use part of your time to help other people. Very appreciated, and thank you very much.

Also, have you noticed a weird behavior with the curve shots after the update? It does not curve anymore, instead, it goes into a straight diagonal unless you are sliding in surface that is not flat. Idk if its only me or not, so i didnt made a thread about it.

Thanks a lot for your time, and thanks for posting the videos.

Goodbye.

Thank you for your feedback.
I don't have a problem taking the time to make this if it means I can help people enjoying the same thing I enjoy, since Lunaro is really fun when played knowing what to do.

About your problem with the curve. I stopped using it long ago, but as far as I have seen recently, everything is fine with it. It may have been a coincidence or some kind of error that was happening.

Once again, thanks to everyone who is supporting this and I too hope that this will get the attentiona nd feedback I would like it to get.

In addition to my above mentioned things. I am already thinking about adding more stuff to my lessons, so people can go further than the fundamental basics. But to really be sure it is wanted yet, I am asking everyone here to give some input.
Have fun playing and improving.

Good day once again.

I have decided to put up the next batch of lessons for you to practice with.
For that I would like to hear from you what you would like to see in the next batch.
This should mainly contain basic moves you need to improve further (like dribbling/unstable basics).

If there is anything of that kind you would like to see, please let me know.
The current moves I will list already would be the basic dribble, the basic unstable and throwing at high velocity.

The batch after the next one will contain chaining and most likely a few tricks, depending on the feedback.
This is all. Have fun and good luck playing/practicing.

I apologize for posting yet again.
I have updated this topic to show the basics in addition to the renamed fundamentals.
Have fun and good luck improving.

Edited by Funki0
Posting

I just met u bro on lunaro total beast also this doesnt look as simple as u made it look on the match thanks for guide anyways . 

Tho id like to know a bit more about defending the ball i seem to get tackled a lot and loosing it fast any tips ? Thanks again .

4 minutes ago, -EXC4L1BUR- said:

Tho id like to know a bit more about defending the ball i seem to get tackled a lot and loosing it fast any tips ? Thanks again .

If you mean defending it as in keeping it in your control instead of losing it to the other team, you pretty much just need to be faster than them and you need to try to stay out of their range.
It is quite easy to check you if you are slower, which will most likely result in you losing the ball.
Just try not to run into those people and if you can't get away, try moving the ball away first, like passing or dribbling (if you have learned that).

14 hours ago, DankMasterDemi said:

Very nice to play with you and for you to share this with me, I'll be looking into this guide and trying to improve!!
Hope to see you again in a match where I stand a chance! :')

I am glad you enjoyed it and I hope you will improve.
I especially hope seeing you again like that.

On 15.7.2017 at 0:57 AM, -EXC4L1BUR- said:

I just met u bro on lunaro total beast also this doesnt look as simple as u made it look on the match thanks for guide anyways . 

holding aimglide blocks the first check you receive with about 10 seconds cooldown, so you wont lose the ball after the first check if you hold the right mouse button at the correct time

Good day.
To everyone who has been following my lessons or are new to them. I am glad to announce that I will continue the lessons, but will do that in a seperate topic.
This is now supposed to be exclusive to new players. You wil find everything you need to get the basics down.

The next topic will go into the more complex moves and will explain to you how to do chains, special unstables and more.
I hope you have been practicing.
Good luck and have fun playing.

Just now, Funki0 said:

To be honest. Do you even need these basic things?

I'm thanking you on behalf of new players (also a good way to !up this thread that should be pinned up.

And to be honest, not really. I just need to work on my dribbling, and somehow it helps.

Just now, matto said:

I'm thanking you on behalf of new players (also a good way to !up this thread that should be pinned up.

And to be honest, not really. I just need to work on my dribbling, and somehow it helps.

I have seen you and I know you might want to work on it, but if I can help, I'm glad.

About this thread. I was planning on updating it about this week or next week, so people might want to keep an eye out for that.
And I thought I might leave this here how it is now, but start a new one for the more advanced actions. I don't see the need to try to squeeze everything in one, so I will open a new one, which will seperate these basics from the more difficult things.

And yes, pinning would be something nice. People would have easy access to it and could look at it without searching.

Good day.

I am glad to announce that my advanced lessons are now up and ready for you to look at.
I hope I was of great help for you and I wish you luck.

A quick link to the above mentioned lessons:

Again. Good luck and have fun. I hope I see you on the field.