Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Possible Umbra versions for other warframes?

(XBOX)creeper1242

It seems as if Excalibur already has or will be getting an umbra version for warframe given the tennocon tease and the fact that it's kinda a thing on the wiki but cancelled.

point being, I think we should have umbra versions of other warframes besides Excalibur. Like Ash and chroma Umbra. (Ash and chroma are 2 of my most favorite warframes) I would really like to see something like that. Would you? Please let me know.

Perhaps Warframes that can't be Primed due to lore reasons will instead be "Umbra'd"?

Not including Excalibur obviously, I feel like he's going to be a quest reward, in a sense like Nidus.

First, we dont know if the Tennocon teaser will have any link with Umbras. People are just over-hyped about Umbra for no real reason since we dont know anything about thems, and says Umbra will come each time we get some half hidden informations.

Before thinking about Umbra-ing other warframes, we should first, now what exactly is an Umbra warframe, how it is implemented in the lore and what are the differences between regular warframes, Primes and Umbra.

From the little bit we know, Umbras will heavily impact the lore and we can suppose they are linked to the stalker since Shadow stalker share some parts with the chinese Excalibur Umbra Prime.

Devs also confirmed some other warframes will be Umbra-ed but we dont really know how. To define their order, we may follow these (they are just suppositions) :

• Umbra will be released in the base warframe release order, so the order would be identical or really similar to primes.
  • If Umbra are linked to the stalker, they may be released in the Stalker's Acolytes order (meaning more acolytes may come).

3 minutes ago, Mk_1 said:

Perhaps Warframes that can't be Primed due to lore reasons will instead be "Umbra'd"?

Not including Excalibur obviously, I feel like he's going to be a quest reward, in a sense like Nidus.

They already broke the lore by releasing Valkyr prime with the sames powers as regular Valkyr, so I dont think it's necessary.

About Nidus, when we see how Saryn prime look with many organic shapes and tentacles, I dont think Nidus prime would be a problem.

I highly suspect that Umbra is the solution to Warframe's constantly asked question "How many Frames can you really make before the whole thing becomes Too Much/Repeats itself?".

My suspicion is that there will be Umbra variations, as well as some sort of "Light" variation, allowing Warframe to create at least 4 Variations per Frame, assuming the Umbra and "Light" versions themselves cannot be Primed.

So, in the end we would end up with:

• Banshee
  • Banshee Prime
  • Banshee Umbra
  • Banshee "Light"

This would allow Warframe to add more Frames to Warframe, without having to "push"  brand new ones out too quickly. They can still do it, but now they can take their sweet time with it.

And yes, the Umbra and "Light" versions are said to be different from their normal counterparts, but in the end, it's still the same Frame. So, it'll be easier for everyone involved, just making new powers and limits set-ups instead of completely new and unique Frames.

I will be blunt, there are so many other things but the developers need to work on that Umbra is practically insignificant.

I don't care about Umbra because there's so many other gaps and have made features that need to be fixed or created.

Why keep creating new features and toys to play with when the foundation of the game is not solid? 

Edited by Iccotak

4 hours ago, Mk_1 said:

We have Valkyr Prime based on her tortured version, no lore reasons can stop any frame from being primed.

Edited by Ksaero

If Excal Umbra is just a re-skinned Excal Prime, maybe it'd be better to keep him as the only Umbra frame.

But if Umbra includes some exclusive additional mechanic, then every frame should receive an Umbra version.

Edited by Ksaero

Hmm... of the lore I've gleaned from things like the Cephalon Fragments, the Stalker's story and a few other places, 'Umbra' as we know it was the result of a ceremony when the Tenno defeated the Sentients.

Well, in theory. After the war with the sentients, the Tenno were instead loyal to the Lotus (who we know from The Second Dream, Natah and War Within quests to be a Sentient herself, but one who gave up on revenge and dedicated herself to caring for the Tenno), and when the Orokin held a ceremony to decorate the Warframes of those Tenno who served so well, the Tenno killed them all in an act of rebellion.

Stalker was one of those who did not get an Umbra decoration, and saw only betrayal, not the deception of the Orokin and what had caused the betrayal, so that's why Stalker hunts us for killing 'bosses' or 'authority figures' in the current time line.

If I had to guess, Umbra is a kind of... status symbol for Tenno, and one that they place on their 'signature' warframe.

So, if I'm right, and Umbra is a quest like The War Within and Second Dream quests, then it's likely that we can use the Umbra quest to bestow Umbra status on one of our Warframes of choice, maybe more possibly, or maybe interchangeable depending on how DE intends to handle it.

Or it could be that we get Umbra on the frame we started the game with, meaning that there are only four possible Umbra frames to get; Volt, Excal, Mag and Loki (used to be a starter, switched out for Volt).

Either way, let's wait until next month, it's nearly Tennocon and we'll see what we get there.

16 hours ago, Ksaero said:

Valkyr Prime based on her tortured version

My theory for this is that the Gersemi is the "Regular Valkyr" and that Alad had tortured and corrupted a Primed version of Valkyr. 

21 hours ago, Mk_1 said:

There are no frames that "can't be primed for lore reasons". DE has already stated that any Warframe can have a prime, and as far as the lore is concerned, does. Because prime just means first. It just means the first model of any frame as made by the Orokin, who made all of the original models. And all non prime regular frames are basically a crude facsimile, made by trying to understand the frame without access to the original (replace prime with the word original and it all makes more sense) blueprint.  

I also believe (I wish I could remember which devstream) that they answered a question about Umbra variants of other frames, and I think they said that they might make some other umbras but that not every frame would be eligible for an umbra like primes are. 

So it's more like sort of the reverse of what you said. Every frame will be prime if the game is around long enough, but only frames that fit the lore the right way will be Umbra. Probably the darker or more edgy frames. I expect frames that were used to make the acolyte models are some of the strongest possibilities for the next umbras. 

As for Valkyr's lore specifically? Well, for starters I think she is a prime candidate for an Umbra, but I also think her lore is almost irretrievably ruined at this point. The problem is, having the prime (which means the original version) having all the same powers was okay. That can be explained by lore. She just has the BDSM gear stuff, and maybe acts more angry, that's somewhat believable. But then they made primed valkyr bonds. Like... wtf. The prime should have been based more on the Gersemi skin, without any of the bondage looking stuff, and it all would have made perfect sense with current established lore. Instead, DE made the original (prime) have the same bonds as the "future, tortured version" which just throws everything into the shredder and makes literally zero sense at all. 

It's kind of disappointing, because they didn't even necessarily have to base her on Gersemi Valkyr. They just had to not break the lore by making her just a shinier looking version of the tortured one. Like, are we supposed to imply from the lore that having bonds used to torture and control her is simply part of Valkyr's lore, and that Alad V just did it a little bit worse? I mean at this point that's the only lore explanation that makes sense. That the Orokin already used nasty means to torture and control all Valkyr units, and that Alad V was just taking advantage of that and making it worse/torturing in a meaner fashion, etc. But it also kind of ruins the evil of Alad V and the emotional impact it was supposed to have. The only lore explanation that makes sense now is that Valkyr was already a horribly tortured soul, and that Alad V just pushed her that last step over the edge. 

Kind of really, really dark when you think about it. It means no Valkyr has never not known a life of torture since their beginning days with the Orokin. 

Edited by Tesseract7777

What would be an interesting way of doing the Umbra line? Making it that the Umbra are the real Warframes that the Orokin based the Warframes they use as a weapon. We find out that the Umbra were around before the Void Demons....it was just that Void Demons could control what was once independent beings that did what they wanted for the greater good. The Orokin could not stop them and would sometimes use them as mercenaries until the Zariman incident happened and the Void Demons control was shown. 

Seeing certain Frames be Umbra will be interesting as well. Excal should have one as he is the first. 

As for the first for Prime.....do not believe everything as being FIRST. With all the variants that DE has lined up for Deluxe skins, i would not be surprised that Primes are the ones that are just flaunted out as first to the population. 

But whatever DE does.....we gotta accept. 

42 minutes ago, (Xbox One)DShinShoryuken said:

What would be an interesting way of doing the Umbra line? Making it that the Umbra are the real Warframes that the Orokin based the Warframes they use as a weapon. We find out that the Umbra were around before the Void Demons....it was just that Void Demons could control what was once independent beings that did what they wanted for the greater good. The Orokin could not stop them and would sometimes use them as mercenaries until the Zariman incident happened and the Void Demons control was shown. 

Seeing certain Frames be Umbra will be interesting as well. Excal should have one as he is the first. 

As for the first for Prime.....do not believe everything as being FIRST. With all the variants that DE has lined up for Deluxe skins, i would not be surprised that Primes are the ones that are just flaunted out as first to the population. 

But whatever DE does.....we gotta accept. 

that's what I've been hoping for. i don't like the whole metal suit being controlled by angsty teens gimmick  

6 hours ago, Mk_1 said:

My theory for this is that the Gersemi is the "Regular Valkyr" and that Alad had tortured and corrupted a Primed version of Valkyr. 

Then again, this "Regular" Valkyr doesn't seem to be based on her Primed version.

What's the point of having another version of the same warframes? I get it with excal - people will never get an excal prime, so they need a substitute. With warframes like chroma and mirage, and especially inaros - perhaps we shouldn't even get a prime version at all and just go to umbra. But why would this game need both? They wouldn't work as a sidegrade, unless DE add some stats that regular primes don't have. But then it would be just a matter of which one is better statwise anyway. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

We already have 32 (33) warframes about 60% or smth of them are primed. And the prime versions are better (if not much) than the original ones. Meaning, if you get the primed version first (which is quite easy to do in most cases - sometimes easier), you really don't need the original one in the game at all (unless you're farming MR exp with gear you'll never use, which is all kinds of wrong and stupid).

Edited by AperoBeltaTwo

1 hour ago, AperoBeltaTwo said:

What's the point of having another version of the same warframes? I get it with excal - people will never get an excal prime, so they need a substitute.

Actually, friend, we're not getting Umbra Excal either. That was a Founder's Pack Exclusive for the Chinese edition, same as regular Excal Prime was a Founder's Pack Exclusive for our version.

They pretty much have to bring out Umbra versions of other frames because us regular players do not get access to the Founders Packs. Ever.

On 6/27/2017 at 2:33 AM, AperoBeltaTwo said:

What's the point of having another version of the same warframes? I get it with excal - people will never get an excal prime, so they need a substitute. With warframes like chroma and mirage, and especially inaros - perhaps we shouldn't even get a prime version at all and just go to umbra. But why would this game need both? They wouldn't work as a sidegrade, unless DE add some stats that regular primes don't have. But then it would be just a matter of which one is better statwise anyway. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

We already have 32 (33) warframes about 60% or smth of them are primed. And the prime versions are better (if not much) than the original ones. Meaning, if you get the primed version first (which is quite easy to do in most cases - sometimes easier), you really don't need the original one in the game at all (unless you're farming MR exp with gear you'll never use, which is all kinds of wrong and stupid).

Seriously, Why do we need Umbra? So many other things that should be worked on instead

On 27.06.2017 at 3:44 PM, Thaylien said:

Actually, friend, we're not getting Umbra Excal either. That was a Founder's Pack Exclusive for the Chinese edition, same as regular Excal Prime was a Founder's Pack Exclusive for our version.

They pretty much have to bring out Umbra versions of other frames because us regular players do not get access to the Founders Packs. Ever.

Ok, let's just ignore the fact Excal Umbra was stated by DE to be released in global build.