Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Crashed and Burned (OOC)

Daakjenaar

• 1 month later...

Excerpt from that link Soul posted (I'll give other people a chance to respond in the IC before posting again):

Meanwhile, the players have decided that the huge scope has made the world shallow, it's only "elegant" if you like a Cliché Storm, the plot was lifted straight from the third remake of something, the setting looks like it came from "Manos" The Hands of Fate with the Serial Numbers Filed Off, and the so-called supporting cast of NPCs are either cookie-cutter stereotypes or Mary Sues who make the players feel like the supporting cast. It's about halfway through the campaign, and the players have decided that everything is only going to get worse. The time has come to strike a blow for freedom, for better plots, and against this idiotic Game Master. The players go Off the Rails.

I dunno, reading that made me feel a tad self-concious (Sorry if that was accidential, Soul). If this is the case with the plot, tell me. I want input and critiscism.

Just now, bowiespoon said:

Ouch, that's a little harsh. My only complaint is how long we've been in this area.

Fair point. I'll be moving you out of this area after this conversation.

Great. Now I'll be quoting the Manos episode of MST3K during every bit of the rest of the RP.

Buckle your seats and put on your hard hats, half awake spiel incoming. Also, note that all my grievances are not directed towards the GM, but towards the plot.

5 minutes ago, Daakjenaar said:

Excerpt from that link Soul posted (I'll give other people a chance to respond in the IC before posting again):

Meanwhile, the players have decided that the huge scope has made the world shallow, it's only "elegant" if you like a Cliché Storm, the plot was lifted straight from the third remake of something, the setting looks like it came from "Manos" The Hands of Fate with the Serial Numbers Filed Off, and the so-called supporting cast of NPCs are either cookie-cutter stereotypes or Mary Sues who make the players feel like the supporting cast. It's about halfway through the campaign, and the players have decided that everything is only going to get worse. The time has come to strike a blow for freedom, for better plots, and against this idiotic Game Master. The players go Off the Rails.

I dunno, reading that made me feel a tad self-concious (Sorry if that was accidential, Soul). If this is the case with the plot, tell me. I want input and critiscism.

Speaking for myself only, it feels like the plot's pacing has come to a standstill even without factoring in the slow posting speed. What's started as a crash landing and attempted containment 'possible or not' has turned into a visual novel with the skip text option disabled. There's been no word on either antagonist since the last fight scene ended, in side posts or otherwise, and redshirt life simulating in the lone crew quarters is a far cry from trying to get offworld intermingled with co-op warding off a bulked up loki hopped on hate juice. Tycho locking up all the ocs in a single small room with no alternative but to listen to info dropping is not interactive grounds at all. Right now the threat of Tarnas and Clogori, implied or otherwise has faded pretty far out to the point that at least for me, breaking down the wall and getting the ship on the grineer's sights (including their gun sights) is preferable to sitting for more info dumping.

Working in background development is well and all, but if you have to latch everyone in a single small room to do so, maybe it's not the best idea. Radios exist in-universe, right? There's no (obvious) reason we can't split up again and start working towards getting offworld and dropping some payback on the resident mad scientist while Ef and Adrova filters through Tycho's data and relays them to us that way. Or we find occasional fragments from logs scattered throughout console in the wreckage. If some of the players want to stay and listen directly, that`s great, that`s their choice. But note that every player has different tolerance levels between action and plot. Some people like longer plot and info developing with the occasional bouts of action. Some people like their mixes in other portions. The option to at least attempt to take a different route should be available, and if not, there should be a reason worked into the story itself beyond 'alarming npcs'. If the purpose of the mooks (non-named chars) is to care and therefore avoid causing a panic amongst them, it's personally not doing a very good job beyond 'meatshield'. The way I see it is, if you take them out, would it impact the story? If not, there's not much reason for me to be invested in them.

Please just give us something to show that after forty pages of posting, we've at least made some headway towards completing what the ocs came to do. Beating down the mustache limbo, capturing the swole loki, gathering enough materials to earn our science victory and getting off planet; anything to make us care beyond "find materials for redshirts so they don't starve".  Let us in on what your antagonists are doing right now, let our actions have meaning to working towards the endgame, because right now it feels like we've spinning the wheels in place.

Help us *care* about what happens to the characters and the story.

2 minutes ago, Daakjenaar said:

Fair point. I'll be moving you out of this area after this conversation.

Great. Now I'll be quoting the Manos episode of MST3K during every bit of the rest of the RP.

I had a similar reaction. MST3K/Rifftrax are great

Just now, souldrive11 said:

*snippity snippity*

All of those critscisms make sense, and are things I'll try to improve. In particular, I already planned on kicking off the next big part of the RP once the conversation ends. I'll move the crew a little more into the background just to stop them from weighing the plot down. I'll try and make it devoid of filler to expedite the plot as much as possible. I promise, things will pick up soon^tm.

Also, "swol loki" is the best thing I've read today. Thanks for that.

Alright, sounds good.

You know, I had a great idea for a later scene in the RP a while back, and then I watched Infinity War. The "I don't feel too good" scene TOTALLY stole my awesome idea and it definitely wasn't just coincidence or something. Definitely not. Marvel is clearly spying on me. That is obviously the only possible logical choice.