Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

TennoGen Round 9

3 hours ago, KaizergidorahXi said:

As cool as that is...We have enough Excalibur stuff. He has like double as much as any other frame. We really needed that Nidus helmet, though.

I know, but most of them are old/outdated imho. They are all Excals base "Suit" just with different patterns, with the only exceptions being Caduto and Apex. I also think it's very sad that the Proto Armor is his Deluxe Skin. It would be ok if it was just there because of Dark Sector, but Deluxe Skin? Naah. Compare it with Ash's Deluxe Skin, it makes him look extremely different while still looking like Ash, just a "Deluxe" version of him, but the Proto Armor... is just a retextured Excalibur, nothing new to the Mesh and it's also flat looking. Yes, he has more than all other Frames, but also the least exciting and different selection.

I would also add - people seem to think that some skins didn't make it because reasons and that's why they didn't get their x skin. As far as I'm aware, again, it doesn't work like that. There might be a limit to how many skins per rounds DE is accepting but it's not as strict as "3 skins, 2 syandanas, 2 helmets and the rest we won't even look at". It seemst that most of the skins are accepted if 1. they're ready for import 2. they meet some criterias that were listed here somewhere.

As well as it's pretty rude to say "we don't need x skins" since the artists are the ones who come up with ideas, the ones doing all the work (up until skin is accepted at least) and they're free from any kind of pressure as they're essentially just players like everyone else. They don't exactly work for DE so you can't say "I want more Nezha skins, he doesn't have any". Of course there's nothing wrong with just saying you want it, but thinking that x artist will have to make it instead of something else or saying 'we don't need x' is kinda. Eh. You don't need something, other people do. Again it's not a competition to begin with.  

Edited by -Temp0-

7 hours ago, -Temp0- said:

I don't think it's based on the author, style or anything like that.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but the main criteria seems to be that skins are ready to 'import' in the game or not. I also guess that skins that look closer to the original and don't have 'excessive' new parts are easier to get to work in game which is why there seems to be little to no issue with graxx skins.

Yeh I dunno, it seems just a little too easy from my perspective for this particular "line" to get in. I'm not seeing any other "matching lines" magically appearing every round. It's just personal opinion obviously but it feels and looks a bit off and unfair to other often better, creations.

26 minutes ago, Zanchak said:

Yeh I dunno, it seems just a little too easy from my perspective for this particular "line" to get in. I'm not seeing any other "matching lines" magically appearing every round. It's just personal opinion obviously but it feels and looks a bit off and unfair to other often better, creations.

It's obvious why it's easier. Because they're simple. The more simple something is, more chances it will work out. 

Those skins meet standards listed in Basic Art Guide since it's a grineer based skins which takes away all of the issues in terms of their 'origin' and most of them if I'm not mistaken basically a re-skin(s) - they match the model so there's no issues when developers try to import it into the game.

Same probably goes for accepted Nezha skin. The more complex, different from original and stuffed with details skin is the more chances something will go wrong with it when you will put it into the game.

Edited by -Temp0-

50 minutes ago, Zanchak said:

How do you judge something is better, well ok, that would be personal preference.

But what is another line of skins, that are highly influenced by one of the factions, that SHOULD make it in according to you? And does the creator have a proven record of skin quality?

Note that the more thematic a skin is towards a faction the higher its chances become, so Graxx being about the only grineer based line does indeed give it an extremely high chance.

On 2017-7-9 at 2:23 PM, (Xbox One)JashinWorshiper said:

When is it coming out?

since DE has been doing a simultaneous release on all platforms, I guess this round will be available after the next update for consoles is sent for certification, approved and finally released

On 7/9/2017 at 9:32 PM, Zanchak said:

Whys it even called a "round" when you already know x amount of graxx anything is going to get in and x amount of other creators making something thats not same same is missing out.. again. Not a personal slam before people get their knickers in a twist but honestly, it seems really unfair that a whole "set" is being basically granted to one person while the rest sit hoping to get even one in.

I think it's worth saying that one piece getting in does not exclude another piece getting in. We simply accept everything that we feel is strong enough to add to the game by the time of each round deadline. 

Pieces not accepted for a round can be reworked to have another chance in the next rounds, too, as demonstrated with several of the accepted pieces this round. If something you liked didn't get in, send a little encouragement to your favorite artists.

16 minutes ago, [DE]Syncrasis said:

I think it's worth saying that one piece getting in does not exclude another piece getting in. We simply accept everything that we feel is strong enough to add to the game by the time of each round deadline. 

Pieces not accepted for a round can be reworked to have another chance in the next rounds, too, as demonstrated with several of the accepted pieces this round. If something you liked didn't get in, send a little encouragement to your favorite artists.

How will an artist know that they need to rework something, and how will they know that they'll have a chance in the next time if they rework something? I know you notify people who you think are already close to getting something accepted, but I've only ever heard of Hitsusan and Yatus getting such notifications. Also, have any requirements changed? For example, are only skins with alt helmets accepted, or what are rules regarding similarities between, say, Excal and Nyx skins (like Excal and Nyx Graxx skins)? And how do ratings factor in?

I'm hoping next round of Tennogen there will more stuff for frames that don't get as much love as others by the community. I would love to see more of Banshee, Vuaban, Inaros, Wukong, Titania, Oberon and Equinox in the lineup. Well at least Equinox got a cool Tennogen skin this round.

Edited by (XB1)GeminiTigur

On 7/8/2017 at 7:20 PM, (PS4)MJ-Cena7 said:

so the new graxx nova is a helmet and the skin is free with it, so if i didnt buy the old gnova i will get the skin with the helmet ?

It's a new updated skin to match the updated helmet. Gnova and Graxx Nova are both two entirely separate entities.

15 minutes ago, A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n said:

How will an artist know that they need to rework something, and how will they know that they'll have a chance in the next time if they rework something? I know you notify people who you think are already close to getting something accepted, but I've only ever heard of Hitsusan and Yatus getting such notifications. Also, have any requirements changed? For example, are only skins with alt helmets accepted, or what are rules regarding similarities between, say, Excal and Nyx skins (like Excal and Nyx Graxx skins)? And how do ratings factor in?

Like you said, if the piece is within a range we feel we can give feedback for without losing its original vision, we will give feedback. It takes some time to get to everyone though. You can always rework a past work and resubmit it if you'd like us to take another look.

Requirements have not changed. Submissions with only a skin or only a helmet are still accepted, but it seems to be more popular to bundle them together.

We tend to handle individual Warframe theme decisions on a case-by-case basis, so I can't give you any hard rules about Nyx and Excalibur. 

Ratings on the Workshop play a role in selections, but ultimately, we curate the final selections ourselves based on design, uniqueness, adherence to stylistic requirements, and technical needs. Popularity usually follows good work but it doesn't mean the piece will meet all the requirements for acceptance. 

14 minutes ago, (Xbox One)GeminiTigur said:

I'm hoping next round of Tennogen there will more stuff for frames that don't get as much love as others by the community. I would love to see more of Banshee, Vuaban, Inaros, Wukong, Titania, Oberon and Equinox. Well at least Equinox got a cool Tennogen this round.

We got an Atlas skin!  And that frame is one of the least played/liked frame...Good thing he happens to be my favorite :).  Mad respect for the artists who create Tennogen items for the less popular warframes as that means they probably wont make as much money.

2 minutes ago, (PS4)supersocc11 said:

We got an Atlas skin!  And that frame is one of the least played/liked frame...Good thing he happens to be my favorite :).  Mad respect for the artists who create Tennogen items for the less popular warframes as that means they probably wont make as much money.

I totally forgot about Atlas! Lol that's my bad. I'm glad he got a cool skin as well. :)

2 hours ago, [DE]Syncrasis said:

This next question basically asks what Im wondering then:

2 hours ago, A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n said:

How will an artist know that they need to rework something, and how will they know that they'll have a chance in the next time if they rework something? I know you notify people who you think are already close to getting something accepted, but I've only ever heard of Hitsusan and Yatus getting such notifications. Also, have any requirements changed? For example, are only skins with alt helmets accepted, or what are rules regarding similarities between, say, Excal and Nyx skins (like Excal and Nyx Graxx skins)? And how do ratings factor in?

2 hours ago, A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n said:

I agree with the fact Graxx skin take a huge place in Tennogen (especially because I dont like Grineer design) but how [DE]Syncrasis said, it's because the pieces are well made, fit the game design and don't need any change to work in the game engine, so they directly get accepted, even if they are not always innovating.

About the chance for a piece to get some feedback, I think the piece need to have some potential of innovation, fit a minimum with a faction aestetic (or two if it's intented to be an hybrid thing, like growthing infestation over Corpus tech) and have a correct base level of 3D modeling/texturing, so devs know the artist can improve it.

You says Histu_San and Yatus are nearly the only one as getting such notification but I think it's only because they are the most popular artists (with Faven_PS who dont need that feedback), so most people know they get this feedback, but I'm pretty sure some other people have feedback on their work but just work silently after getting it.

For exemple, I can take the Ribbon Syandana made for the Loki Incubus but only accepted a round after or the Warlust Rhino helmet that was first published on December 23 for the round 7 and got changes until April 1 to finally got accepted on round 8 or my own example of the Scapulis syandana first posted on December 3 for the round 7, got 3 version (a total of 9 if we count minors changes) to June 28 and get accepted on this Round.
We can also suppose what pieces will get feedback on this round. Probably some of Yatus and Hitsu_San stuff, Vistyxio Limbo, Nidus Kerakus helmet, Oberon Deity helmet and maybe more. Even if some of these pieces look fine on the picture and fit well with the game style, they may not work on the engine for some reason.

Also, it may be not the right place but I want to personnaly tanks @[DE]Syncrasis and @[DE]Taylor for all the well oriented feedback they give to artists that need. The Tennogen program is a great opportunity to any Warframe player that some innovating idea and the motivation to learn if they dont already have some 3D skills.
I started 3D modeling/texturing with Tennogen, for Tennogen since the first round and the ton of people supporting me the and feedback from devs of my preferate game (since I started to produce some average good quality things) is an huge thruster that motivate me more than ever and helped me to progress, even if I got nothing accepted until this round.
Yatus probably feel the same and this is the reason why he didn't give up, and he was right.

If I have something to says to current artists that dont have anything accepted until now of people that want to start now, if you really want, you can do it, so dont give up, especially if you start 3D modeling/texturing for Tennogen.
Honestly, I think modeling and texturing are easier than drawing because you dont have to care about perspective and lighting since these two things are done nearly automatically based on the shapes and textures you made, so it may be easier to express your creativity than drawing because you're not limited by things like "I want to do that but I dont know how to draw it in this angle" I really encourage any futur potential artist to start and even if I'm not a professional, feel free to message me if you want some tips to starts.

Well on the matter of feedback and stuff making it into the selection later, you only need to remember the Teplo syandana. If I'm not wrong it was the most upvoted piece for R1 and it didn't get in till much much later after a radical rework.

The reason we keep getting Graxx is because Faven makes very consistent, high quality designs. A Grineer-themed skin you can easily say is worn because someone is in the Steel Meridian or whatever. It makes sense. Some of the popular skins that never make it in are really... out there though. Some of my favourites are Mirage skins that, you know, try to deal away with some parts of her armour -- I want them and it seems many other people also do, but it's probably never going to happen and that's not because there's a Graxx skin for Mirage already.

Also so many skins get in each round, so it's not like there's an impossibly high standard or anything.

39 minutes ago, lukinu_u said:

You says Histu_San and Yatus are nearly the only one as getting such notification but I think it's only because they are the most popular artists (with Faven_PS who dont need that feedback), so most people know they get this feedback, but I'm pretty sure some other people have feedback on their work but just work silently after getting it.

Is that so?  lol ^^ I've only got feedback like... maybe 5 times in more than a year. This round i've submitted 3 syandanas and a nyx skin (which i've changed 3 times already) and i've got not even a word about them so it's not like they're making exceptions for anybody. In fact i think they should give way more feedback and directions, even when we get some comments it's very rare that's straight to the point, it's getting better lately though. In my case i would very much prefer something like "we don't need this type of item" or "we think it's not fitting the theme (any of the many themes) of Warframe" or "we don't like the design" or "it's not at the quality level necessary" rather than nothing, and i believe that would help to shape the overall quality of the whole workshop quite a bit instead of having lots of artists wandering around throwing ideas out there that will never get selected and we'll never know why ^^

Also :PPPP Faven

3 minutes ago, HitsuSan said:

This round i've submitted 3 syandanas and a nyx skin (which i've changed 3 times already) and i've got not even a word about them

Supplementary feedback is always sent out after the Round has been announced, so we have time to work with the creators of accepted pieces to make sure their creations are in-game ready. The post-Round feedback should be going out this week, since Round 9 was just announced on Saturday. :)