The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Plains of Eidolon

DonGheddo

On 7/23/2017 at 5:33 AM, Culaio said:

1) now that  have better image of what you are planing I must say that I like your idea, it reminds me of tatooine from star wars, I have now strong desire to go to bar/cantina on mars and shoot someone...FIRST XD.

but I also think there should be place where "natives" could live, I think that at least some landscapes should have multiple hubs with civilians, where we can interact with people.

2) I dont mind second landscape, I just think it should come later, as DE gains more experiance with landscapes, they can make it bigger and better.

3) How we interact with landscape is one of if not the most important thing about landscapes, yes story is important but story alone will take you only that far, once you finish it  if you have nothing to do, you wont have reason to return to this landscape over other landscapes so most players will abandon it, and will stay one landscapes that have more interactions.

1) "Shoot someone...FIRST" LOL. I think Mars would be a cool place to have some different type of gameplay with some interesting factions. I think Baro's people should be the native population of Mars. With the look of the terrain, building structures, and some Simaris lore about location names (one place is called Uxmal), I think DE's previously been inspired by Mexico, so perhaps the native population could draw inspiration from there. When we also consider the Beast of Bones and those mercenaries as well, we could get some very interesting story and gameplay elements for Mars that are incredibly unique.

I also agree that there should be multiple hubs in different areas. For Mars, that could be a bar/cantina hub with outlaws, smugglers, and defectors, another hub with native civilians, and another hub for Steel Meridian at their base.

2) I definitely think they should try to flesh out Plains of Eidolon as much as possible before moving to a second landscape, so that they can gain a lot of experience with how to do open world. Once that happens, I do think they should prioritize landscapes over tilesets. So, imo, they shouldn't do like a landscape and a tileset and then a landscape and a tileset. I think they should do a second landscape immediately after they've completely fleshed out Plains of Eidolon.

3) I agree that interactivity is vital to landscapes. Beyond some of the things that I suggested in the OP (like making it alive, having the AI continually doing things in the environment, having multiple repeatable side missions that offer rewards and thrilling gameplay, etc), we can also have a reason to come back if each landscape is unique in terms of factions and what they offer.

To explain, Plains of Eidolon has the Ostrons and unique Ostron weapons that we can craft. Well, a Martian landscape wouldn't have the Ostrons. Instead, they'd have a local Martian populace who could offer their own weapons or other unique items. Titan would offer something different as well, as would Ganymede. And this wouldn't just involve weapons. We could get archwing parts, or cosmetic items, or space fighter (yes, this should be a thing) parts, that are all unique to their respective landscapes. Then, imagine if we could craft these various items together, mixing and matching parts from different landscapes to create new combinations of weapons and cosmetics. That could be our reason for returning to the landscapes, besides the various side missions and immersive experience.

Edited by A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n

4 hours ago, A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n said:

1) "Shoot someone...FIRST" LOL. I think Mars would be a cool place to have some different type of gameplay with some interesting factions. I think Baro's people should be the native population of Mars. With the look of the terrain, building structures, and some Simaris lore about location names (one place is called Uxmal), I think DE's previously been inspired by Mexico, so perhaps the native population could draw inspiration from there. When we also consider the Beast of Bones and those mercenaries as well, we could get some very interesting story and gameplay elements for Mars that are incredibly unique.

I also agree that there should be multiple hubs in different areas. For Mars, that could be a bar/cantina hub with outlaws, smugglers, and defectors, another hub with native civilians, and another hub for Steel Meridian at their base.

2) I definitely think they should try to flesh out Plains of Eidolon as much as possible before moving to a second landscape, so that they can gain a lot of experience with how to do open world. Once that happens, I do think they should prioritize landscapes over tilesets. So, imo, they shouldn't do like a landscape and a tileset and then a landscape and a tileset. I think they should do a second landscape immediately after they've completely fleshed out Plains of Eidolon.

3) I agree that interactivity is vital to landscapes. Beyond some of the things that I suggested in the OP (like making it alive, having the AI continually doing things in the environment, having multiple repeatable side missions that offer rewards and thrilling gameplay, etc), we can also have a reason to come back if each landscape is unique in terms of factions and what they offer.

To explain, Plains of Eidolon has the Ostrons and unique Ostron weapons that we can craft. Well, a Martian landscape wouldn't have the Ostrons. Instead, they'd have a local Martian populace who could offer their own weapons or other unique items. Titan would offer something different as well, as would Ganymede. And this wouldn't just involve weapons. We could get archwing parts, or cosmetic items, or space fighter (yes, this should be a thing) parts, that are all unique to their respective landscapes. Then, imagine if we could craft these various items together, mixing and matching parts from different landscapes to create new combinations of weapons and cosmetics. That could be our reason for returning to the landscapes, besides the various side missions and immersive experience.

Truth to be told I would want hub and landscape that has feel(types of building, types of fauna and flora and other stuff) of wild west(with sci-fi elements), type of place where Mesa frame feels right at home :), since warframe had people living on mars in "buildings" looking like they were from very old times on earth then warframe can have wild west town and landscape(of course with sci-fi elements) :).

Idea kinda inspired by.westworld and dark tower(I am BIG fan of wild west :D)

TRIGUN manga world is probably good example of what I have in mind(sci-fi + western) :)

386426038_24391802f2.jpg

2f5e2cc65b43beee3a5c4fd29e680176--the-la

trigun-1-31.jpg

Oh I agree that DE should work on next landscape immediately  after they finish plains, but what I meant in previous  message when saying "second" was second per planet, they should make second landscape per planet after they fiinish first landscape on each planet first.

One of activities in the landscapes I would want is mining....I dont mean persoanlly mining with pickaxe(or any sci-fi altenrative of pickaxe), instead we would scan for resource, once we find good place we drop something similar to excavator/extractor that gathers resource, our role during that time would be to defend excavator/extractor, this idea is based on one of best thing about now dead mmo game firefall: the "thumping"(it got its name from sound the mining device makes during mining)

firefall cinematic trailer shows pretty much what thumping is about:

14 minutes ago, Culaio said:

Truth to be told I would want hub and landscape that has feel(types of building, types of fauna and flora and other stuff) of wild west(with sci-fi elements), type of place where Mesa frame feels right at home :), since warframe had people living on mars in "buildings" looking like they were from very old times on earth then warframe can have wild west town and landscape(of course with sci-fi elements) :).

Idea kinda inspired by.westworld and dark tower(I am BIG fan of wild west :D)

TRIGUN manga world is probably good example of what I have in mind(sci-fi + western) :)

386426038_24391802f2.jpg

2f5e2cc65b43beee3a5c4fd29e680176--the-la

trigun-1-31.jpg

Oh I agree that DE should work on next landscape immediately  after they finish plains, but what I meant in previous  message when saying "second" was second per planet, they should make second landscape per planet after they fiinish first landscape on each planet first.

One of activities in the landscapes I would want is mining....I dont mean persoanlly mining with pickaxe(or any sci-fi altenrative of pickaxe), instead we would scan for resource, once we find good place we drop something similar to excavator/extractor that gathers resource, our role during that time would be to defend excavator/extractor, this idea is based on one of best thing about now dead mmo game firefall: the "thumping"(it got its name from sound the mining device makes during mining)

firefall cinematic trailer shows pretty much what thumping is about:

I'd like a mix of a wild west and middle eastern (think Afghanistan) environment for Mars. Basically, it'd be a semi-arid/arid environment, but red like Mars. Orokin terraforming would've made it a more semi-arid environment. For a sort of Mos Eisley-like place, it'd definitely be wild west, but with earthen buildings and structures. As for the industrial structures alongside the old style structures, I'm kinda torn. On one hand, Mars already has industrial structures so it makes sense for Mars to have that. On the other hand, I'd like Titan Colony to have a sizable industrial zone, as it'd be in the heart of Grineer territory (the major moon of Saturn). So, idk how I'd feel about that.

I definitely like your idea about mining in the environment. I'm of the opinion that a lot of the missions we currently do in the star chart make perfect sense in an open world environment.

11 hours ago, A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n said:

I'd like a mix of a wild west and middle eastern (think Afghanistan) environment for Mars. Basically, it'd be a semi-arid/arid environment, but red like Mars. Orokin terraforming would've made it a more semi-arid environment. For a sort of Mos Eisley-like place, it'd definitely be wild west, but with earthen buildings and structures. As for the industrial structures alongside the old style structures, I'm kinda torn. On one hand, Mars already has industrial structures so it makes sense for Mars to have that. On the other hand, I'd like Titan Colony to have a sizable industrial zone, as it'd be in the heart of Grineer territory (the major moon of Saturn). So, idk how I'd feel about that.

I definitely like your idea about mining in the environment. I'm of the opinion that a lot of the missions we currently do in the star chart make perfect sense in an open world environment.

I want to mention that mars titleset is called grineer settlement, so it doesnt seem that its meant to be anything industrial in the first place.

We wouldnt really have to mix different things like wild west and middle eastern since game should have more then one desert planet, I dont get why there is desert on only one planet while every other enviroment is on multiple planets(grinener snow titleset exist on multiple planets, venus should been desert planet, its currently cold planet which makes zero sense even with terraforming, its too close to sun to maintain cold enviroment unless somekind of orokin(void?) magic-technology is protecting the planet.

but even with only one desert planet we still can still have both wild west and middle eastern stuff without mixing them, like for example seperate hubs in landscape or completly different landscapes on same planet(with its own hubs).

Edited by Culaio

30 minutes ago, Culaio said:

I want to mentioned that mars titleset is called grineer settlement, so it doesnt seem that its meant to be anything industrial.

We wouldnt really have to mix different things like wild west and middle eastern since game should have more then one desert planet, I dont get why there is desert on only one planet while every other enviroment is on multiple planets(grinener snow titleset exist on multiple planets, venus should been desert planet, its currently cold planet which makes zero sense even with terraforming, its too close to sun to maintain cold enviroment unless somekind of orokin(void?) magic-technology is protecting the planet.

but even with only one desert planet we still can still have both wild west and middle eastern stuff without mixing them, like for example seperate hubs in landscape or completly different landscapes on same planet(with its own hubs).

That's a good point. I guess I'm just not too confident in DE adding more than one landscape per planet, but if they were to do that, it'd would greatly benefit Warframe to have multiple landscapes. And with multiple landscapes per planet, planets could actually feel like, well, planets! And if they didn't mix themes, then each landscape could be very unique, adding a whole lot of diversity to Warframe in terms of the NPCs, the weapons, cosmetics, the environments, the potential music, etc.

You also make excellent points regarding the actual planets now. Like, Venus being cold doesn't make any sense at all. It's atmosphere is so thick that it's toxic, and even if it was terraformed, it wouldn't be cold like that. And then there's something like Ceres, which just shouldn't have rain because Ceres doesn't have a thick atmosphere at all. For it to rain, there need to be clouds, and Ceres can't have clouds.

Sadly I must agree with you about lack of confidence in DE adding more then one landscape per planet, I mostly mentioned it since you had idea earlier of second landscape related to loka.

Maybe if they made landscapes large enough that they could have multiple hubs, multiple type of "cultures" could exist on same landscape(like wild west and middle eastern), but still I would prefer multiple landscapes per planet.

Well DE could explain cold venus with some kind of orokin void technology but we dont see anything like that in game world(some kind of special orokin towers on planet surface), you could probably make venus colder with more primitive technology like putting object with big surface between sun and venus to decrease amount of sunlight reaching surface of venus but we also dont see that in game world.

By the way I would want to see crafting system in wild west location to have wild west type weapons, like revolvers(I would LOVE to craft my own revolver :D),  leveler-action rifles, revolving rifles and so on

6 hours ago, Culaio said:

Sadly I must agree with you about lack of confidence in DE adding more then one landscape per planet, I mostly mentioned it since you had idea earlier of second landscape related to loka.

Maybe if they made landscapes large enough that they could have multiple hubs, multiple type of "cultures" could exist on same landscape(like wild west and middle eastern), but still I would prefer multiple landscapes per planet.

Well DE could explain cold venus with some kind of orokin void technology but we dont see anything like that in game world(some kind of special orokin towers on planet surface), you could probably make venus colder with more primitive technology like putting object with big surface between sun and venus to decrease amount of sunlight reaching surface of venus but we also dont see that in game world.

By the way I would want to see crafting system in wild west location to have wild west type weapons, like revolvers(I would LOVE to craft my own revolver :D),  leveler-action rifles, revolving rifles and so on

Yeah, I like your ideas a lot. The devstream thread is up, so you should definitely ask them about any plans to do more stuff like this.

Venus is canonically cold due to extensive terraforming, as per its cephalon fragment. In fact, it's implied that it's too cold, and that current Corpus settlements are only extant in locations where lingering Orokin technology makes the temperature warm enough (although the verb used is "moderate", and is ambiguous). The Orokin had technology that allowed them to perform god-like feats, and probably several hundred/thousand years in which to do them. Lowering the surface temperature of a planet isn't as hard as it seems. Something low-cost like stratospheric aerosol injection could be massively effective with our current technology, let alone Orokin technology.

Venus is a cold planet in the Warframe universe. This really can't be dismissed. It is stated in recent, in-game lore, not some old comment on the website (ie the composition of Uranus' oceans). So it's unlikely that DE will change it because "it doesn't make sense". If you're looking for something that's truly absurd, try the Uranus Sealab tileset.

Venus is canonically cold due to extensive terraforming, as per its cephalon fragment. In fact, it's implied that it's too cold, and that current Corpus settlements are only extant in locations where lingering Orokin technology makes the temperature warm enough (although the verb used is "moderate", and is ambiguous). The Orokin had technology that allowed them to perform god-like feats, and probably several hundred/thousand years in which to do them. Lowering the surface temperature of a planet isn't as hard as it seems. Something low-cost like stratospheric aerosol injection could be massively effective with our current technology, let alone Orokin technology.

Venus is a cold planet in the Warframe universe. This really can't be dismissed. It is stated in recent, in-game lore, not some old comment on the website (ie the composition of Uranus' oceans). So it's unlikely that DE will change it because "it doesn't make sense". If you're looking for something that's truly absurd, try the Uranus Sealab tileset.

32 minutes ago, A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n said:

Yeah, I like your ideas a lot. The devstream thread is up, so you should definitely ask them about any plans to do more stuff like this.

Could you ask them ? I am currently on vacations and my internet is kinda wonky here,

I will try asking them some questions, but it would be even better if more people asked about it

40 minutes ago, GrayArchon said:

Actually the method you mentioned wouldnt work on venus, pretty much no atmospheric method would work because pretty much no sunlight reaches surface of venus, its clouds pretty much reflect all sunlight already, to cool down venus you literally have to decrease amount of sunlight reaching clouds themselves so no terraforming method would work, only way to achieve that is blocking sunlight from reaching in space or upper atmosphere .

Yes I know Orokin had amazing technology but even in the lore it was said that they werent that great at terraformation, how we know that ? they screwed up most of planets in solar system(including earth) and had HUGE problem fixing them...

36 minutes ago, Culaio said:

Actually the method you mentioned wouldnt work on venus, pretty much no atmospheric method would work because pretty much no sunlight reaches surface of venus, its clouds pretty much reflect all sunlight already, to cool down venus you literally have to decrease amount of sunlight reaching clouds themselves so no terraforming method would work, only way to achieve that is blocking sunlight from reaching in space or upper atmosphere .

Yes I know Orokin had amazing technology but even in the lore it was said that they werent that great at terraformation, how we know that ? they screwed up most of planets in solar system(including earth) and had HUGE problem fixing them...

Well, the other problem with current Venus is that you'd have to clear the atmosphere of the thick clouds, as they trap the heat generated from within the planet. We see a thin atmosphere above Venus, but there are no clouds whatsoever, so where does the snow come from? Venus at least still needs to have an overcast atmosphere. And yeah, I don't think terraforming Venus is as simple as weather control, so, idk, it still doesn't make a whole lot of sense for Venus to have snow imo, without some other, more extreme terraforming.

Anyway, the issues with Venus are why I didn't consider any landscape for it. Plus, I wouldn't expect anything other than Corpus to be present on the planet.

1 hour ago, Culaio said:

Sunlight doesn't have to reach the surface of Venus. The point of stratospheric aerosol injection is that you are increasing the albedo of the atmosphere. Venus' atmosphere already reflects 90% of sunlight, so these methods would have diminished efficacy (I think), but they would still be effective. Reflecting sunlight in the atmosphere will only make surface temperatures cooler.

On another note, you can also reduce Venus' greenhouse effect by changing the composition of the atmosphere via carbon capture and replacement with nitrogen and oxygen. This would allow heat to escape the surface of the planet instead of being trapped by the atmosphere and would also contribute to a global cooling effect.

The Orokin, as far as we've seen, were absolute masters of terraforming. Not a single celestial object in our solar system (in today IRL) is terraformed (EDIT: other than Earth, obviously), yet in Warframe's vision of the future, they all are. So the Orokin are responsible for making, at a minimum, Venus, Mars, the moon, Ceres, Jupiter['s atmosphere], Pluto (ambiguous; cephalon fragment suggests not), and Uranus habitable for human or posthuman habitation. This is a massive feat of terraforming that is possibly the Orokin's greatest accomplishment. Not to mention, these locations are still habitable hundreds or thousands of years after the Collapse. Even Earth is still very much habitable. The only thing wrong with Earth is that the Orokin let the plant life go crazy, which has almost nothing to do with terraforming. The Sentients were even created for the task of terraforming the Tau system. That's how central this practice was to their civilisation.

Edited by GrayArchon

18 minutes ago, GrayArchon said:

Sunlight doesn't have to reach the surface of Venus. The point of stratospheric aerosol injection is that you are increasing the albedo of the atmosphere. Venus' atmosphere already reflects 90% of sunlight, so these methods would have diminished efficacy (I think), but they would still be effective. Reflecting sunlight in the atmosphere will only make surface temperatures cooler.

On another note, you can also reduce Venus' greenhouse effect by changing the composition of the atmosphere via carbon capture and replacement with nitrogen and oxygen. This would allow heat to escape the surface of the planet instead of being trapped by the atmosphere and would also contribute to a global cooling effect.

The Orokin, as far as we've seen, were absolute masters of terraforming. Not a single celestial object in our solar system (in today IRL) is terraformed (EDIT: other than Earth, obviously), yet in Warframe's vision of the future, they all are. So the Orokin are responsible for making, at a minimum, Venus, Mars, the moon, Ceres, Jupiter['s atmosphere], Pluto (ambiguous; cephalon fragment suggests not), and Uranus habitable for human or posthuman habitation. This is a massive feat of terraforming that is possibly the Orokin's greatest accomplishment. Not to mention, these locations are still habitable hundreds or thousands of years after the Collapse. Even Earth is still very much habitable. The only thing wrong with Earth is that the Orokin let the plant life go crazy, which has almost nothing to do with terraforming. The Sentients were even created for the task of terraforming the Tau system. That's how central this practice was to their civilisation.

Acording to wikipedia atmospheric method  pretty much wouldnt work at all(because of already high albedo), yes changes to atmosphere are needed but they wouldnt work alone if you didnt first limit amout of light reaching venus.

like you said venus is TOO cold this shows that they are far from perfect at changing planets: remember that terraforming means making planet like earth(word terra in terraforming means earth), at which they failed  at most planets, mars isnt like eath even though its probably planet easiest to turn into earth like planet(yes there is earth like atmosphere as we see with the fact people can breath there but its still very dry planet), venus is too cold which means they went too far with cooling down the planet and there are many other examples.

Edited by Culaio

17 minutes ago, Culaio said:

Acording to wikipedia atmospheric method  pretty much wouldnt work at all(because of already high albedo), yes changes to atmosphere are needed but they wouldnt work alone if you didnt first limit amout of light reaching venus.

like you said venus is TOO cold this shows that they are far from perfect at changing planets: remember that terraforming means making planet like earth(word terra in terraforming means earth), at which they failed  at most planets, mars isnt like eath even though its probably planet easiest to turn into earth like planet(yes there is earth like atmosphere as we see with the fact people can breath there but its still very dry planet), venus is too cold which means they went too far with cooling down the planet and there are many other examples.

A terraformed planet is generally understood to be habitable by human or Earth-like organisms. It would be impossible to make planets exactly like Earth because of their mass, location, internal geological characteristics, etc. But they can be made habitable. If you can walk around on its surface without a gas mask, it's basically habitable, and I listed all the places in the Origin system where we can do that. Those places have been terraformed, including Venus and Mars.

24 minutes ago, GrayArchon said:

A terraformed planet is generally understood to be habitable by human or Earth-like organisms. It would be impossible to make planets exactly like Earth because of their mass, location, internal geological characteristics, etc. But they can be made habitable. If you can walk around on its surface without a gas mask, it's basically habitable, and I listed all the places in the Origin system where we can do that. Those places have been terraformed, including Venus and Mars.

exactly same is indeed impossible as you say but VERY similar in many cases is very possible(mars is one of planets that could be VERY similar to earth), orokin for a people that had amazing almost godlike technology they were pretty bad at terraforming I mean even current people believe that making mars earth like planet is very real possibility., scientists have pretty much answer for all problems related to terraformation of mars, including lack of magnetosphere.

Terraformed mars could pretty much look like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terraforming_of_Mars#/media/File:TerraformedMarsGlobeRealistic.jpg

EDIT: and here is theoretical terrfaormation of venus assuing its rotation speed wasnt speed up(which is why its clouds have such weird shape):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terraforming_of_Venus#/media/File:TerraformedVenus.jpg

Edited by Culaio

@A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n DesFrSpace totally supporting your ground, as far I am concerned, your ideas are FANTASTIC (you can see where the Games might go).

Spoiler

By far, I THINK that future contents release by DIGITAL EXTREME NEED to FOCUS of the aftermath of a "Existential Orokin Galatic Empire that has once at it heights flourished and controlled the systems, but fall before due to indirect (basically the Empire shot itself in the foot and fall over, death by owner's weapons).

That mean, when <we> Tennos have to go down there, it would be the story of how the ruin of Orokins affect the Civilizations of say Solar System? Right, that what I thought too. I am seeing some replies form Tennos imagining a "crowded city" yeah, the VISUAL (art) does throw me off for some minute. 

Spoiler

Please Note: I hope DE keep Martian, TItan, Earth, Ganymede all specialize and different, but so far Good Luck squeezing that in say a 3,000KM "Zone"? While each area have different type of Inhabitants.(Mirage-filled Deserted Mars? Apocalypse Wasteland Titan? Inhabitable Plants dominated Earth, and Grineer Dominated Ganymede City).

Desert of Deceive, Mars: Once Orokin-fied, now a Oblivion-ful land. Mars now represent a long lost lands that no longer seem to have many inhabitants, there is a underground colony of inhabitants who does not wish to go up for the usage of water.

Wastelands of Woes, Titan: What are left of the Orokin Mighty Arms who know lay rest in Ruins of an abandoned Central Militarized Hub. Explore what is left and if anything can be learn of Orokin Researches.

Planet of Pieces, Earth: Beautiful Earth, once strives by many Species to preserve of the many remains beauty of this Solar System, now lay in Recovery by past times of defilement.

Forever of Failing, Ganymede: When and how does an Hegemony ever fall? Stop the prolong stalls and lead the way to lay rest what should remained rested.

Note: was WIP, I think I got my idea lay out.

Now for those AWESOMELY PARTICIPATING Tennos posting here, I am very glad to read their post too. better have more heads to build this WarFrame in the long-run.

Note: Was going to mentioned an constant-change Environment, but DE already got that idea down. :thumbup: DE :thumbup: 

TO: @GrayArchon @Culaio

DE can play this card: Terra forms stopped due to Grineer intervening, aka Formorian.by Vay Hek. As we might not have known the whole story, Mars was halted from ever completion of a FULL-TERRAFORM that would end some what similar and favorable as Earth BEFORE the destruction of Formosan.

PS Now, PLEASE KNOW, that current Earth knowledge, is just theory, but no real public knowledge of Terraform by Humans in the known millenniums. As for Technology of Orokins is not EASY to comprehend by Players, but still fun to theorize until DE form an easy-to-understand story for ANY Tennos to enjoy WarFrame.

Edited by DesFrSpace

During Tennocon, Steve said that the build they were having Rebeca and Megan play was pretty well done and polished, but had yet to fix a bug where when someone would die, the game would crash.

So it seems that end of summer, sometime around august or september does seem pretty accurate and more than reasonable if they're looking to get the update in before the holiday rush sets in.

Now the question SHOULD be when are we getting Excal Ubra because everybody went insane, absolute bonkers when they pulled the bait and switch.