The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So um....Ballas has officially been welcomed into my nightmares.

TheGodofWiFi

18 minutes ago, rand0mname said:

Well, it's says Ballas concept art in the bottom right corner?

I'm still refusing to accept that our resident purple Pthumerian is Ballas. It's like my mind has a reactionary jerk of the knee trying to rationalize that picture with Ballas's smooth voice.

Edited by 4628Gin-san
bad grammar

42 minutes ago, Miser_able said:

In the new umbra video you can hear what clearly sounds like a life support system, so I'd say it's quite likely. 

I took this to be in the past and we're getting a flashback of someone being used for medical purposes/harvesting/changing for the sake of others, against their will. And Ballas is talking to the individual(s) hooked up to a machine. In fact his voice is very full of strength (though this could also be current life-support-him remembering past-him's voice).

I understood him telling this individual or individuals, "If you could trade [and not be 'tortured'], would you? Surely [you would.] But [you have to understand] all miracles require sacrifice [and this time, it's you]". This person listening to Ballas speak could be the original Umbra's operator (though that would be too simplistic IMO)-- just somebody who got sacrificed against their will.

Could still be Ballas, of course. But I think it isn't, and I think it's a conversation Ballas had with someone in the past.

Side note: that bed in Helmith's room looks like a medical machine of some sort. Maybe we'll get to use it in the Umbra quest?

Edited by SolidBeast

Just now, 4628Gin-san said:

I'm still refusing that our resident purple Pthumerian is Ballas. It's like my mind has a reactionary jerk of the knee trying to rationalize that picture with Ballas's smooth voice.

Ah. Yes. Dat voice... Mmmm.

Anyways, maybe Infestation got to him - proportions are all over the place, that hand looks suspiciously like Ancient slap tentacle and that horrified look on the face? Something have not gone as planned.

Imagine going to sleep looking like an alive Greek god statue and waking up like this. Ouch.

2 minutes ago, SolidBeast said:

I took this to be in the past and we're getting a flashback of someone being used for medical purposes/harvesting/changing for the sake of others, against their will. And Ballas is talking to the individual(s) hooked up to a machine. In fact his voice is very full of strength (though this could also be current life-support-him remembering past-him's voice).

I understood him telling this individual or individuals, "If you could trade [and not be 'tortured'], would you? Surely [you would.] But [you have to understand] all miracles require sacrifice". This person listening to Ballas speak could be the original Umbra's operator (though that would be too simplistic IMO)-- just somebody who got sacrificed against their will.

Could still be Ballas, of course. But I think it isn't, and I think it's a conversation Ballas had with someone in the past.

That actually makes a lot of sense.

At the same time, wouldn't that mean that we won't see Umbra in action?

On another note, it's very sort of Dagoth Ur, Lord Vivec meets Almalexia meets dunmer with extra drape inspired.

Spoiler

2702244-mw_concept_04.gif

2702255-mw_concept_15.gif

4174c3f03bdb824c5c1672271d04a29a--the-el

Credit to RisingMonster for the final fanart.

I love it. And it meshes with this Orokin-inspired concept I was modelling a while ago (Substance screenshot):

Spoiler

EbWdM8A.png

I like that he's twisted. He seems sort of peaceful though. Unexpected, definitely.

Edited by SolidBeast

On another note, it's very sort of Dagoth Ur, Lord Vivec meets Almalexia meets dunmer with extra drape inspired.

Reveal hidden contents

2702244-mw_concept_04.gif

2702255-mw_concept_15.gif

4174c3f03bdb824c5c1672271d04a29a--the-el

Credit to RisingMonster for the final fanart.

I love it. And it meshes with this Orokin-inspired concept I was modelling a while ago (Substance screenshot):

Reveal hidden contents

EbWdM8A.png

I like that he's twisted. He seems sort of peaceful though. Unexpected, definitely.

Yeah he actually kinda looks like Vivec in some regard.

3 minutes ago, 4628Gin-san said:

Yeah he actually kinda looks like Vivec in some regard.

Glad someone agrees. As a huge Morrowind fan, this artistic direction actually got me kind of excited for him. Just hope they don't simplify him too much. I never thought he'd look "normal" or plain, and actually expected the Orokin to be deformed, but couldn't be sure, so I'm pretty happy with how he turned out.

7 hours ago, TheGodofWiFi said:

dm2MoqB.jpg

Seriously, of all the ways I pictured Ballas this was not one of them. That oddly soothing voice from the trailers just cannot come from this....thing. Imagine waking up from the Second Dream to find this staring at you from a dark corner across the room. Just what the hell is going on with this thing?

I thought the Orokin were supposed to be beautiful DE....

Edit: You can thank wubwub- for this example of childhood trauma.

6bsb5KF.png

We know that orokin body jump, this is obviously this weird thing he body jumped into.

And they stole this from She-Ra.

EJzHhxM.png

LcN2ZeY.png

Edited by Mak_Gohae

Glad someone agrees. As a huge Morrowind fan, this artistic direction actually got me kind of excited for him. Just hope they don't simplify him too much. I never thought he'd look "normal" or plain, and actually expected the Orokin to be deformed, but couldn't be sure, so I'm pretty happy with how he turned out.

With how much effort was put to his voice acting and script? It would be surprising if they actually mess up his reveal.

On another matter, the Orokin being deformed would be kind of confusing. What would that say about the Tenno? They were Orokin children at some point, after all. Unless you could actually change your skin color to blue, the Tenno is our only evidence of the Orokin not being deformed in any extreme manner.

Unless...you're talking about the body jumping and Kuva...which is another can of worms entirely.

4 minutes ago, 4628Gin-san said:

With how much effort was put to his voice acting and script? It would be surprising if they actually mess up his reveal.

On another matter, the Orokin being deformed would be kind of confusing. What would that say about the Tenno? They were Orokin children at some point, after all. Unless you could actually change your skin color to blue, the Tenno is our only evidence of the Orokin not being deformed in any extreme manner.

Unless...you're talking about the body jumping and Kuva...which is another can of worms entirely.

hEy KIdDO, WhAT TOoK yOu SO LoNg?

[Warning: Serious Spook Inbound]

Spoiler

ddd97f751f51e7bc4c7e8d60e5b13926.jpg

Just now, 4628Gin-san said:

Well, I don't know much about the actual lore, these are all impressions from a (rather lazy) player just playing the game. I understand the Orokin were supposed to be like a "higher" class of humans that ascended themselves in a way through their work and society. So it doesn't make too much sense that they would be deformed, yet the gold, towers, primes, and lavishness always left this impression on me that there would be a disparity between how fancy and clean everything is and their actual physical bodies. Like they were either not plain human, just humanoid, or they experimented on themselves to the point they made themselves deformed. This all stems from my personal distaste for humans being the masterminds/driving forces of narrative in media, though. So I always kind of hoped they would be.... different.

Of course, this appearance may be due to other things.

5 minutes ago, SolidBeast said:

Well, I don't know much about the actual lore, these are all impressions from a (rather lazy) player just playing the game. I understand the Orokin were supposed to be like a "higher" class of humans that ascended themselves in a way through their work and society. So it doesn't make too much sense that they would be deformed, yet the gold, towers, primes, and lavishness always left this impression on me that there would be a disparity between how fancy and clean everything is and their actual physical bodies. Like they were either not plain human, just humanoid, or they experimented on themselves to the point they made themselves deformed. This all stems from my personal distaste for humans being the masterminds/driving forces of narrative in media, though. So I always kind of hoped they would be.... different.

Actually I figured they'd be pretty messed up sort of as their karma.

On the outside they were perfect but on the inside they were very corrupt.

I assume what we see here now is what happens when that corruption starts to manifest in their appearance.

I'm extremely excited to see what new f'ed up Orokin will look like.

O FOKIN 'ELL M8!

Junji Ito continues to be the giver of nightmares for children to this very day. Praise the horror.

Yeah man >:) from the very moment I saw Ballas I immediately thought of Junji Ito.

Its perfect really, Ito likes to take the dark side of human nature and give it a terrifying appearance.

This is the sort of thing that really sticks to people, whether they like it or not.

Edited by Tricky5hift

Just now, Tricky5hift said:

I assume what we see here now is what happens when that corruption starts to manifest in their appearance.

Yeah, you put it well into words. I like that. That's sort of what I based my art off. Kind of a corrupted, ancient orokin. Actually, that's pretty spot on.

3 minutes ago, SolidBeast said:

I think it's safe to say that Orokin are not human. At least, not in the sense that they're Homo Sapiens. If we can relate them to our species at all, the closest we can go is probably say that they've evolved so far ahead of contemporary humans that they're effectively non-humans.

I too would like to see something other than humans in a space ninja story (shocking right? lol), but from the looks of it, they'll be at least human in appearance alone. The Corpus, who are supposedly distantly related to the Orokin, looked aesthetically human, and as I said, so do the Tenno. It may be boring, but that's what we got right now.

4 minutes ago, Tricky5hift said:

Remember what Margulis said in the voice-over flashback in the Second Dream? That's basically it.

Timeline wise it doesn't seem to make sense to me for the Tenno to have been Orokin at all, a post fall of the empire codex entry mentions the Orokin not having children. Also, I've noted that for all the gold and ivory, the Tenno were "buried" in black. 

Anyway he does have a few ancient like qualities, and we know from another codex entry that some Orokin did become them (neural relay augmented twin healers). But I think it's degradation in terms of genetic redundancy, Ordan Karis's memory mentions death being temporary for the Orokin, I presumed akin to the Cephalons they could back up their identity and put it in another body. 

Considering the infestation is basically a weaponized cancer from their normal biomechanics. Maybe his base material just ain't holding up. 

Also. I theorize the warframes are mentally hollowed out humans that we see in cryopods, changed by technocyte for purpose. 

Maybe umbra warframes are made out of Orokin. Dying Ballas. 

8 hours ago, TheGodofWiFi said:

dm2MoqB.jpg

I love this. This is what I wanted Orokin to be like - aesthetical, but uncanny, weird and bizarre, losing their connection with humanity, both mentally and physically.

Suda and Lotus (who apparently inherited Margulis' appearance) seemed too mundane to me. This is the direction I want Orokin elite to move in.

Edited by VisionAndVoice