Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Banwave Report: July 10, 2017

TGDM

The purpose of this post is meant to be informative of what transpired. If anything in this post is factually incorrect, please let me know so I can update it. This was also posted on the /r/warframe subreddit.

What banwave?

Yesterday, around 01:00 GMT (roughly 1 hour after the daily reset), a banwave hit some players. At this time, DE has not officially commented on the matter. At most, there has been a comment made by [DE]Glen on his personal Discord server (a link can be found on his Twitch.tv page - sidenote, Glen is banning/removing players regularly from his server). To paraphrase, he was asking in his server if anyone there was able to access the Relay without having purchased a ticket. Aside from that, nothing has gone up on Twitter, the forums, this subreddit, or anywhere else DE is actively engaged with the community (as far as I know).

Players hit by this banwave have been hit with a permanent ban - account access restricted until 2035. You can no longer view the profile of those players with the /profile <NAME> command as well. DE usually does not offer official comment on ban cases.

Why are players being banned?

At this point, I cannot say for sure *but* there is a commonality between the people who were banned: They accessed the exclusive TennoCon Relay with Baro Ki'Teer without having purchased a TennoCon 2017 ticket. Some are also claiming bans have come in for those who have redeemed a promo code associated with a ticket for an account which had not purchased a ticket.

**WARNING: SPECULATION AHEAD**

Working with that information, as well as the fact it came after DE's office hours are usually over, my theory is that these bans came in as a knee jerk reaction to a problem they did not yet fully understand. The reasoning I could think up would be:

1. They wanted to quickly disable accounts which illegitimately accessed Baro Ki'Teer from being able to affect the in-game economy.
  2. This action is perceived as a type of credit card fraud (because it was paywall content), and thus warranted a stricter punishment.

I'm not saying that the above reasoning is what actually happened, just my speculation as to what would warrant the permanent bans. Regardless of the reason, DE would be able to check your account information to determine if you were a ticket holder and if you purchased anything from Baro Ki'Teer and then automate the bans. It's possible they could also check through chat logs or other means to determine if you were illegitimately on the TennoCon Relay.

**SPECULATION ZONE ENDS HERE**

Keep in mind that TennoCon is considered a charity event and was a passion project by DE.

How were players doing this?

Never, ever, discuss exploits over social media of any kind. Even if your intent is to help DE identify the issue, you're giving access to what might have been a minor problem to the entirety of the internet. Report it to DE directly. (use the support link below)

I would offer more warning / explanation here, but I can't do so without the above happening. I highly doubt that it will happen, but there is a potential for ticket holders to troll people into getting banned.

What do I do if I was banned?

Contact support immediately. Here's the link: http://support.warframe.com/

Be civil when submitting a ticket if you expect to resolve this issue.

Post-lock comment for clarification!

1) Less than 250 people were caught in this ban situation.
2) Most of these people used a third-party tool to inject things into their account to bypass the charity ticket. These people will remain banned.
3) Those who didn't use a third-party app to hack used a series of matchmaking exploits to access the Digital Relay (of which a portion of ticket proceeds went to charity). We will be reviewing this group of players separately to re-enable their accounts, but may be leaving some restrictions on (trading, etc).

I understand some folks have friends affected by this which resulted in interest in the issue. We warmly suggest you visit the website of our charity partner for all things TennoCon and consider making a donation: http://www.covenanthousetoronto.ca/homeless-youth/Donate