Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Rhino, Rhino, Rhino [Edit 12: Rhino Charge/Iron Skin Augment]

Demiax

5 hours ago, Demiax said:

Charge goes in a straight line, so hitting the enemies you want to, without wasting energy, doesnt always happen. My revision just makes it easier to aim. If youre worried about the escapeability of my revision, why don't you propose an idea to improve it? Thats the point of constructive feedback, after all.

Of course a single straight-line attack isn't going to hit every single enemy you want to hit. The exact same can be said about guns. Hitting enemies in a wider area is something that bleeds into the territory of his 4.

More importantly: "No changes are necessary" is a perfectly valid form of feedback. I love Rhino Charge as it is. It's simple and "dumbed-down", exactly as you say, and this suits Rhino's brute-like theme perfectly.

I don't use the augments for Rhino, although I do have them, because they are simply boring and a waste of space. I want Rhinos abilities to be spiced up a little, and yes, changing them the way I have mentioned is my own view of how I would like this to happen. Rhino needs changes, whether it be aesthetically speaking or not, the problems are there. ... Iron Skins augment needs to be integrated into the ability itself. I was playing on a sortie against physically enhanced corpus who, a few rounds later, began to completey destroy my Iron Skin, and killing me before I could reactivate it, I used all of my revives on that sortie mission, and i'm an experienced player, but theres no way to survive with Rhino (in those circumstances) when cornered by 25 Moas blasting you all at once.

Yeah, I totally agree that augment-less Iron Skin (and, more pressingly, Warding Halo) is flimsy and needs to be looked at. Plenty of folks suggest for Shrapnel to be baked in, which I wouldn't mind seeing.
Personally, I'd prefer a simple "gating" mechanic of some sort (for the sake of build variety, since I love having a choice between Ironclad/Shrapnel/Hybrid). So if an enemy breaks your Iron Skin, you (for example) hear a shattering effect and become invulnerable for 0.5-1s, giving the player a bit of time to react.

For the record, if you're deadset on not using an augment (even though Shrapnel is easily the difference between "die 4 times in the mission" and "take 0% damage in the mission"), Rhino Charge's invulnerability frames could have helped you a lot in that situation.

To be a bit more constructive here, I'll list out the real changes that I think Rhino P should see:

• Increase in base armor. It's not the greatest design that a frame whose job is to stay alive and brawl with the enemy has so little base armor. Some missions you just have to charge in and pop Iron Skin to get in a position to stay alive, and that really takes the strategy out of using him to the fullest
  • Ability to refresh Iron Skin without the Iron Shrapnel augment. Again, because of how little base armor Rhino P has, there's little choice but to use Iron Skin early on in some missions, and without the augment you have to stand there and get shredded or do self damage to remove the skin so that you can put it on at a decent boosted level with enough enemies present for a good Ironclad Charge. It is also more than a pain to have to use Iron Shrapnel away from enemies so that you don't kill the very mob that you want to use for Ironclad Charge boosting before reapplying Iron Skin. The augment has its place, but it shouldn't be the only means of being able to refresh Rhino's 2.
  • Alternatively: allow the current Ironclad Charge bonus percentage to remain intact when Iron Shrapnel is blown. Mowing down a field of enemies and losing a great boost when the augment is used is pretty painful. The frame sitting there vulnerable until a player can run into yet another mob doesn't really work all that well, and is downright awful in some situations. It's not a great design to borderline force two augments to be used to have the best QoL for the player and in the process penalize some of the utility that the frame brings to the entire group.
  • Slight increase in base energy. Valkyr Prime sits at 225 maxed while Rhino P is running around with a middling 150, equal to Excal at max. It's clear that this like his base armor is a result of him being a very early prime, and he simply needs to be updated.
  • Holding 1 to make the initial Charge 200%/400%. Rather than multiple charges being the only way to ramp up to additional damage, it would be a nice little QoL tweak to be able to hold it for a second and get a 200% power charge, two seconds for 400%, then continue from there at max power as normal.

Thoughts?

Edited by True_Naeblis

18 hours ago, True_Naeblis said:

To be a bit more constructive here, I'll list out the real changes that I think Rhino P should see:

• Increase in base armor. It's not the greatest design that a frame whose job is to stay alive and brawl with the enemy has so little base armor. Some missions you just have to charge in and pop Iron Skin to get in a position to stay alive, and that really takes the strategy out of using him to the fullest
  • Ability to refresh Iron Skin without the Iron Shrapnel augment. Again, because of how little base armor Rhino P has, there's little choice but to use Iron Skin early on in some missions, and without the augment you have to stand there and get shredded or do self damage to remove the skin so that you can put it on at a decent boosted level with enough enemies present for a good Ironclad Charge. It is also more than a pain to have to use Iron Shrapnel away from enemies so that you don't kill the very mob that you want to use for Ironclad Charge boosting before reapplying Iron Skin. The augment has its place, but it shouldn't be the only means of being able to refresh Rhino's 2.
  • Alternatively: allow the current Ironclad Charge bonus percentage to remain intact when Iron Shrapnel is blown. Mowing down a field of enemies and losing a great boost when the augment is used is pretty painful. The frame sitting there vulnerable until a player can run into yet another mob doesn't really work all that well, and is downright awful in some situations. It's not a great design to borderline force two augments to be used to have the best QoL for the player and in the process penalize some of the utility that the frame brings to the entire group.
  • Slight increase in base energy. Valkyr Prime sits at 225 maxed while Rhino P is running around with a middling 150, equal to Excal at max. It's clear that this like his base armor is a result of him being a very early prime, and he simply needs to be updated.
  • Holding 1 to make the initial Charge 200%/400%. Rather than multiple charges being the only way to ramp up to additional damage, it would be a nice little QoL tweak to be able to hold it for a second and get a 200% power charge, two seconds for 400%, then continue from there at max power as normal.

Thoughts?

Thanks! I do like those ideas, but as for visual FX, do you agree, even slightly that he should have them buffed up a little?

Thanks! I do like those ideas, but as for visual FX, do you agree, even slightly that he should have them buffed up a little?

I like that he's not over the top. Gold flake while Iron Skin is up, and a pulse for his passive works for me. If they want to tweak it, sure, but there's already so much clutter on the screen, especially high level infested areas where everything's glowing 50 colors at once. I like the way his current animations look.

On 7/21/2017 at 6:38 AM, True_Naeblis said:

Thoughts?

I like your points.

Increasing base armor could be done by getting rid of shields and increase base health as well to make him less likely to be instagibbed when iron skin runs out.

Besides the low base armor my biggest issue with Rhino is that none of the "on damage" arcanes work when iron skin is active and blocking with a melee weapon doesn't give any DR when iron skin is active.
AFAIK Rhino is the only warframe with this restriction on an ability and it seems very outdated to me.

This is Rhino, an immovable force and highly resilient.

Rhino can survive alone or become the cornerstone of any squad, Tenno. The choice is yours.
Lotus

Yeah sure...

Edited by Sensou

On 7/22/2017 at 0:18 PM, Sensou said:

I like your points.

Increasing base armor could be done by getting rid of shields and increase base health as well to make him less likely to be instagibbed when iron skin runs out.

Besides the low base armor my biggest issue with Rhino is that none of the "on damage" arcanes work when iron skin is active and blocking with a melee weapon doesn't give any DR when iron skin is active.
AFAIK Rhino is the only warframe with this restriction on an ability and it seems very outdated to me.

Yeah sure...

Lmao. So true. I have not been able to survive a sortie without getting downed at least once with Rhino. I have used everyones so called "God Tier Build" and it gets absolutely shredded in seconds, then i'm laying bleeding out on the floor immediately after... 

On 7/18/2017 at 11:49 PM, Calvyr said:

I play Rhino a fair amount, easily one of my favourite frames and I have to say that I honestly don't think there's anything wrong with him. Any of the "problems" you mentioned are fixed with augments to his abilities or are simply good for balance. His survivablity scales ridiculously high when you use Ironclad Charge and build for armour and power strength, not to mention that Iron Skin grants immunity from status effects. There is already an augment to allow him to shed his Iron Skin (which I use in conjunction with Ironclad Charge). His stomp is one of the better CC abilities in the game. and the augment for that ability (Reinforcing Stomp) can also be surprisingly useful for keeping Iron Skin topped up, especially when you build for range and efficiency.Roar is a straight up buff to squadmates, which is also very useful.

In short, there's nothing wrong with Rhino or his abilities, they don't need to be changed.

When u use ironclad charge... Yes. However, would be nice to be able to utilize rhino endgame without any of his augments and without having to run around like a chicken because enemies can take out ur iron skin in one shot.

• 2 weeks later...

Rhino Main here. Got more time on my rhino than with my girlfriend so I know him awkwardly well. Not many people here probably played rhino before Second Dream and his rework back then (minus the rhino mains in the thread, shoutout to all the fattest ninjas in the building!!) but his iron skin use to be at 2500 health TOPS, and was able to be taken down so easily by the likes of level 100 enemies. That was still fine because level 100 back then was for endgame players only, and endgame players would be building rhino for roar and stomp. Then the power creep started and he got a rework. Bye bye to the negative duration builds and hello to everything else. Rhino was finally perfect. his iron skin by itself on a balanced build can hold an average of 5000 health with a specialized build going to 8800.... aand then there's this.

kq1yfKc.jpg

DmeSwly.jpg

Yep that is no bug. I went 4 hours in missions literally chillin.

His augment for the first makes iron skin super strong, but of course, a power that relies on augment or synergy to be good isn't balanced, so while I am open to rework ideas on my favorite frame in game, the reworks here are not in his best of interest. I am intrigued by the idea of a slow running rhino charge, to make it more of a charge instead of a dash, but I was thinking more along the lines of nezha's firewalker and a freight train, where he's impervious to damage, charges at roughly his sprint speed, if not faster, and can steer his charge to target enemies. I came up with this idea WAAAAY back in the day, and people liked it, but it is not a necessary change. Making it like slash dash is not what I was thinking and not a good idea because of the targeting mechanism and how it's modded.would ruin rhino. So no on the slash dash idea, but yes on any idea to effectively make rhino charge a CHARGE not dash.

Increasing his armor to Valkyr P levels is not necessary but having regular Rhino have less armor than Excalibur is quite ridiculous and I think needs a good buff. Maybe Rhino should have armor of present day Rhino P and Rhino P have armor of Chroma.

The passive is literally the same as Vauban, so no, I'll stick to the Heavy Impact passive because of how it sounds.If anything, make the heavy impact effect actually do what it says it does and knock people down. That'd be great.

Innate Iron Shrapnel on Iron Skin has been a request for years so while I would like it, it's not reaally gonna happen any time soon. The increase in invulnerability timer won't change much, but it's not game breaaking so ehh sure why not. The decrease in sprint speed though, no can do son. That's not what a rhino is about. Don't turn rhino into Assimilate Nyx.

I am ok with your Roar buffs, but I don't think they're needed, besides the Charge Attack Damage Buff. I love that because nothing in game does anything for Charge Attacks minus Empowering Blades. Also, it's a good old throwback to the days of Rhino's signature move being charge attacks back in damage 1.0, when the Galatine Charge Attack was the most OP thing in existence.

Rhino Stomp....do not touch Rhino Stomp. Rhino stomp is perfectly fine.....maybe go back to the old days of having unmoddable duration just for nostaglia sakes, but the damage boost to rhino Stomp, a CC ability, probably the best and last consistent CC ability, is just straight up power creep. The armor buff idea is cool but not my cup of tea, also the damage buff, no. Rhino is not nova. Here are the only 2 changes I'd make to Rhino Stomp:
Enemies in stasis are open to ground finishers or take extra damage from charge attacks. That's about it for damage buffs.
When Rhino is in the air, and casts rhino stomp, instead of stomping his foot, he dives at the ground, smashing his fist to the floor. Anyone who remembers Rhino Smash (Radial Blast), which was Rhino's old 3rd ability, imagine that combined with a superman dive to the ground, depending on height of activation. That's my fix your rhino.

I've been playing with Rhino ever since his Iron Skin looked like Donut Glazing, then with Rhino Prime back when it looked like Mustard. In Fact, my rhino was red with yellow strips and I called it ketchup and mustard. Point is I know Rhino. I soloed ODS missions 5 1/2 hours with him at a time when Shadow Debt wasn't and thing and His Rework had just come out along with Second Dream. He's easily my favorite frame and even though I'm ok with some changes to him, not these. Hope you understand my concerns. Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...
DISCLAIMER: These suggestions are my ideas, feed back that is NOT constructive or helpful is unappreciated and will not be taken seriously. DO NOT Post on this thread without reading it 100% through and thoroughly. Thanks!

Rhino has said to be the "heaviest Warframe", yet late-game at...lets say level 60+ enemies start to appear, they almost immediately destroy Rhinos Shield and Health, oh wait Iron Skin too! Rhino is one of my favourite frames and he can be the most boring frame, since he is based on, in my own personal opinion, weakly animated abilities and weak skills. 

Rhino Warframe Stat Buff: Rhinos new armor rating is 715, and 800 for Rhino Prime.

Rhino Passive: Teammates near Rhino will be granted with additional armor. Slight chance of melee enemies running away from Rhino when in proximity.

Rhino Warframe Abilities:

1.) Rhino Charge- Almost EXACTLY like Slash Dash, but instead... IT DOES IMPACT DAMAGE!!! (which can knock enemies over for a very insignificant amount of time) It has the near same animation as well...

2.) Iron Skin- Now, because of the new "updated" Iron Skin, it seems much, much weaker than it was before it's "update", also quite boring. Unsuitable for endgame or lategame material, needs to be fixed.

3.) Roar- A good buff skill, hardly noticeable late-game, effects other Tenno abilities, can be increased to about 2.8x damage with max damage mods (which is highly unlikely to have by most Tenno). (this ability is in revision).

4.) Rhino Stomp- This Ultimate, yes ULTIMATE skill has little animation to make it unique, extremely low damage and now is has to sacrifice damage, duration or range for it to be effective.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Improvements to Rhino's skills:

1.) Rhino Charge 2.0-   

Strength: 150 / 250 / 450 / 650
Duration: 7 / 8 / 9 / 10s (Charge duration)
Range: 1 / 1.5 / 2 / 2.5 (Quake range, Width of attack range)

Rhino Charge 2.0 Animation/Details- Rhino takes a charging stance, Energy Color FX flaring from the bottoms of his monstrous feet and fists, lets out a terrifying roar, he begins to run with such force the very ground trembles, releasing small quakes, tripping enemies. This ability is slow at first, as it takes time to reach full speed, although with every enemy hit, Rhino's speed will increase. 

What does this fix? This fixes falling off the map, missing at groups of enemies due to the linear path, and controllability.

2.) Iron Skin 2.0-

Strength: 400 / 600 / 800 / 1200 (base health)
Duration: 1.5 / 2.5 / 3.5 / 5s (invulnerability duration) Plus enemy damage mitigation multiplier: 2x (all incoming damage is multiplied)
Range: 14 / 16 / 18 / 20m

Iron Skin 2.0 Animation/Details- Now shows the users Energy colour and makes the user drip energy out from the Warframe, Rhinos speed is now decreased to .80. When toggled, the amount of damage recieved can be exploded outward, such as Nyx's absorb. Knocks enemies to the ground

Augment: Reflects a percentage of enemy damage/bullets in random directions

What does this fix? Survivability in high level missions are now reasonably easier for the player, while deducting Rhinos speed and increasing his tankability, his métier.

3.) Roar 2.0-

Strength: 15% / 25% / 50% / 75% Damage
                15% / 20% / 25% / 30% More melee charge attack damage, 30% chance to have increased melee speed by 25%
Duration: 30s
Range: 15 / 20 / 25 / 30 m

Roar Animation/Details 2.0- No longer has pulsing yellow aura on Tenno. Now makes all Tenno emit a glow of their own Energy Color. Charge attacks have a special animation/FX such as the Glaives "super throw" attack.

4.) Rhino Strike/Slam 2.0- 

Strength: 250 / 500 / 750 / 1000 (damage)
Damage Multiplier: 30% / 35% / 45% / 50%
Armor Buff: +1% armor per damage/hit to HP / +2% armor per damage/hit to HP / +3% armor per damage/hit to HP / ... +100% armor per damage/hit to HP for 5s
Armor Buff Cooldown: 15 seconds
Stasis Duration: 3 / 4 / 5 / 8s
Terrify Duration: 1 / 2 / 4 / 6s
Range: 10 / 15 / 20 / 25 m

Rhino Strike/Slam 2.0 Animation/Details- Rhino takes an attacking position on the ground, charges up his mighty fist for an explosively powerful attack, sending debris (that actually match the map, for example if Rhino Strike is used on the planet Phobos, sand will fly around the effected area...) all around the user. Enhanced Stasis FX, enemies glow energy while suspended. While glowing/suspended, enemies will take an additional 50% Damage max (not affected by mods). Enemies who survive will run in terror. Rhino Strike will buff nearby allies with an armor buff that can not be used consecutively. Stasis also allows for Volts zap to chain to all enemies (that are immobalized). Vaubans Teslas will also chain.

Please provide constructive and helpful feedback to the OP, thank you!

so basically assimilate, warcry and stomp with a damage AND armor buff....

also. roar doesnt scale with allied strength mods. if you have maxed strength mods, allies will get 2.8X multiplier. which is an insane amount of extra damage. because for every 100 damage you will get 180 added to it. and most weapons already deal sh*tloads of damage (at least the ones used in end game do)

also... if im correct rhino doesnt need a buff.... he's one of the better tanks in the game, he can buff, he can CC and he has a mobility power that doesnt get blocked by enemies. the only thing he doesnt have an ability for is stealth and healing!

5 minutes ago, SupremeDutchGamer said:

so basically assimilate, warcry and stomp with a damage AND armor buff....

also. roar doesnt scale with allied strength mods. if you have maxed strength mods, allies will get 2.8X multiplier. which is an insane amount of extra damage. because for every 100 damage you will get 180 added to it. and most weapons already deal sh*tloads of damage (at least the ones used in end game do)

also... if im correct rhino doesnt need a buff.... he's one of the better tanks in the game, he can buff, he can CC and he has a mobility power that doesnt get blocked by enemies. the only thing he doesnt have an ability for is stealth and healing!

And yet we are stuck with having to mod for one ability. I also never mentioned Roar being scaled with allied strength mods...

Edited by Insidiatorii

4 minutes ago, Insidiatorii said:

And yet we are stuck with having to mod for one ability

His other abilities are perfect as they are. His main weakness is iron skin unless modded for, at which point it becomes one of the best scaling tank abilities in game outside of pure invincibility

3 minutes ago, (PS4)Chris_Robet said:

His other abilities are perfect as they are. His main weakness is iron skin unless modded for, at which point it becomes one of the best scaling tank abilities in game outside of pure invincibility

You're saying that none of my implementations are of any good to Rhino at all? I find that quite interesting

1 hour ago, Insidiatorii said:

Outside the passive you gave him (which if it's a flat armor buff with good range say 50 meters then I'm all for it) I'd say changes are entirely unnecessary. His kit is purposefully simple and I'd rather not force unneeded synergies, to a character many of us love, for no real reason

Edited by (PS4)Chris_Robet

6 minutes ago, (PS4)Chris_Robet said:

Outside the passive you gave him (which if it's a flat armor buff with good range say 50 meters then I'm all for it) I'd say changes are entirely unnecessary.

50 meters is too large for a passive. Instead stating they are unnecessary without telling me why, could you tell me why these wouldnt benefit Rhino when comparing him to other frames and end game content?

21 minutes ago, Insidiatorii said:

50 meters is too large for a passive. Instead stating they are unnecessary without telling me why, could you tell me why these wouldnt benefit Rhino when comparing him to other frames and end game content?

50 meters is the only way to ensure that people don't have to hug you to get the buff. Let's look at his abilities.

1) Dash/CC- You just simply move forward and knock down enemies. Why make it more complicated?

Augment- You increase your armor and if you really wanted to you could skip iron skin and just use this to tank but iron skin is greatly increased through it (which is his most iconic power) This is the one of the simplest and most effective synergies in the game.

2) Armor- Not much to say. This gives you insane ehp+proc protection, without iron clad charge it still is able to clear any starchart missions without difficulty.

Augment- Allows you to refresh this ability whenever which otherwise is this abilities greatest weakness.

3) Gives your team a MASSIVE damage buff that lasts a long time with okay range. 

Augment- Partial armour strip allowing for more damage.

4) CC- One of the BEST cc in the game (cc being one of the best enemy counters in the end game) Not the cheapest abilities but it is very spamable. 

Augment- Needs a slight buff to scale off percentage of his iron skin but still very able in providing good chunks of iron skin back.

Just a recap he has good mobility massive cc, able to massively buff his team's damage (I believe the highest team damage increase in the game), and on top of that he is one of the tankiest frames in the game. How much is there to change, without over complicating it?

17 minutes ago, (PS4)Chris_Robet said:

50 meters is the only way to ensure that people don't have to hug you to get the buff. Let's look at his abilities.

1) Dash/CC- You just simply move forward and knock down enemies. Why make it more complicated?

Augment- You increase your armor and if you really wanted to you could skip iron skin and just use this to tank but iron skin is greatly increased through it (which is his most iconic power) This is the one of the simplest and most effective synergies in the game.

2) Armor- Not much to say. This gives you insane ehp+proc protection, without iron clad charge it still is able to clear any starchart missions without difficulty.

Augment- Allows you to refresh this ability whenever which otherwise is this abilities greatest weakness.

3) Gives your team a MASSIVE damage buff that lasts a long time with okay range. 

Augment- Partial armour strip allowing for more damage.

4) CC- One of the BEST cc in the game (cc being one of the best enemy counters in the end game) Not the cheapest abilities but it is very spamable. 

Augment- Needs a slight buff to scale off percentage of his iron skin but still very able in providing good chunks of iron skin back.

Just a recap he has good mobility massive cc, able to massively buff his team's damage (I believe the highest team damage increase in the game), and on top of that he is one of the tankiest frames in the game. How much is there to change, without over complicating it?

If you think this is too complicated then maybe you sould try out some other games that arent so tasking

25 minutes ago, Insidiatorii said:

If you think this is too complicated then maybe you sould try out some other games that arent so tasking

Okay *Goes and plays a Dora game*. If that's the only counter to what I said then don't bother replying. His kit is cut and dry so new people farm him and have something to easy mode the starchart with (Yet works well enough to go endgame with) and I'm fine with it since it's my favourite kit in the game.

Edit: Insulting someone's intelligence does nothing but make you look bad btw.

Edited by (PS4)Chris_Robet

58 minutes ago, (PS4)Chris_Robet said:

Okay *Goes and plays a Dora game*. If that's the only counter to what I said then don't bother replying. His kit is cut and dry so new people farm him and have something to easy mode the starchart with (Yet works well enough to go endgame with) and I'm fine with it since it's my favourite kit in the game.

Edit: Insulting someone's intelligence does nothing but make you look bad btw.

All im saying is people need to stop being so lazy. Complex frames feel more rewarding to use anyway, imo.

2 minutes ago, Insidiatorii said:

All im saying is people need to stop being so lazy. Complex frames feel more rewarding to use anyway, imo.

Your opinion, there you go. In my opinion having simple frames in a mostly casual game is a good thing. There are plenty of complex frames though for you to use such as Limbo or Harrow. I assume you know about that though.

16 hours ago, (PS4)Chris_Robet said:

Your opinion, there you go. In my opinion having simple frames in a mostly casual game is a good thing. There are plenty of complex frames though for you to use such as Limbo or Harrow. I assume you know about that though.

Theres nothing wrong with requiring more skill to play Rhino.

I'd like for Rhino to stay as is because inexperienced players love him, and perform well with him. Reworking this guy would just generate a mass amount of player complaints and distract the dev from more important balance issues. He works great, doesn't cause any kind of degenerate disruptive group play (think Ember or old Limbo) so why go through the hassle?

If you want a more interesting version of Rhino that you have to try harder with to be successful with you should try out Nezha.