Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframes are not what they could be.

(PSN)WINDMILEYNO

The warframe abilities section of the forum is closed off. In a nice perfect world that might mean that DE is taking time to go through every post. Probably not, but im not going to pretend i know why. I just want to say something.

Warframes at one point and time were interesting to me because of the cool powers they had. The abilities seemed fun.

-I liked seeing Volt destroy lights in particular. It wasnt much, but it was nice to see something in a game interact with the environment. Now he tesla coils containers, and there is no real electrical explosion-  Thats not the point. 

The point is : warframe abilities dont need to focus on damage numbers (exalted blade), and everything does not have to be cc or bust. You can and should make abilities interesting beyond that. Are cc abilities not interesting? I think its how you define the term "interesting". I personally find games to be "interesting" when i am interacting with the enemies and they are interacting back. So...for me....thats a no.

Im not saying every frame sucks. 

Im not saying warframe sucks.

But when i press one on wukong, and the staff comes out and pokes a bombard, and he falls down, a piece of me dies. This is not what an ability should be. I could have jumped into him from the air and knocked him down the same way. A ground slam preforms the same thing. Does it count as an ability because it makes it easier by 1/10? 

Nullstar.

Fire ball.

Soul punch.

Lantern.

Rip line.

Etc....

I mean, mostly its just the first abilities, and ultimates. 

But im not a developer. I can only imagine how this works. The way i imagine frames are created is that they have a point system. A new frame has, lets say, 10 points, and each proposed ability takes up points based on what the ability does, determined by DE. So when DE was planning wukong, defy took up 4 with cloud walker probably taking up 3, leaving 2 points for the ultimate, and one point for the first ability. I imagine thats something like how frames are created, to keep someone from creating something over powered. Keyword "imagine".

When Volt could jump up in the air, and destroy a portion of the tile set, that was the closest this game came to making abilities fun (to me). It was nigh useless, but fun. I thought the rework would make it useful and fun, but now its just sort of useful, compared to other frames that are more useful, with minimal fun. In fact, that awesomeness (past tense) is why im not happy with abilities now. An ability does not have to murder everything or turn every enemy off in order to be USEFUL and FUN. Together. Like infamous.....

But i get it. We have operators. We have the focus system. We have companions. Weapons. Mods. Open world coming soon to console. 

No one will have time to adress this (i guess). Its not something anyone will see as needing to be adressed (present tense)....and you can not ever ask for quality of life for a warframe on the forums, because its not worth the developers time, as per forum collective.

As for me, im still mildly interested in warframe. I just havnt left because this is the best thing there is for that superhero feel. Go play infamous? That game doesnt know the meaning of sandbox mode, so you can only play the story line, and thats all there is to it. Go play a game like warframe? Destiny only has three classes, same abilities across the board, overwatch isnt worth my money as from what iv seen, its just capture the flag, and the abilities arent much more complex, and some seem like complete ripoffs of warframe. Everything else in this genre might as well just be trash, although there isnt much. 

How can a argument really be made that DE does not have time to make frames better, if not add qol? No one said it had to be tomorrow, just asking for the problems to be recognized and not a silent "your concerns have been duly noted"

"A good developer would make time!"

"A better gamer would deserve it"

Okay.png

Edited by (PS4)WINDMILEYNO

i think the issue here in this thread context is the enemy AI.  If i share your opinion it would seem that enemies don't interact enough and are very slow when it comes to recovery.  Scaling kinda masks these issues since  at some point the enemies are very resistant and hit very hard.  The most interactive mobs in the game are Tyl Gregor and grineer manics.

Regarding the Warframe highlighted in OP's topic:

Spoiler

Personally, Volt's power set feels... incomplete.

I mean, the powers all have their own functions and utilities but his passive doesn't make them useful and is wasted on meleeing objects like crates.

Nidus, to me, as in, how he plays out, is what Volt -should've- been. Nidus is the real 'forget guns, use powers' frame.
And no, it's not just the damage his powers can do when he hits his Mutation Stack cap, it's the fact that his passive and powers feed into eachother and reward the user of Nidus for using the powers on enemies, which is somewhat the reverse of what Harrow does, which requires ranged weapons beyond throwable melees for best effect.

Regarding interaction with enemies:

Spoiler

The most 'interactive' ones I feel, in no particular order, are:
-Bursas/Ambulas, due to their powers and front shields requiring strategy or a blind.
-Sentient Fighters, due to reacting to damage.
-Kuva Guardians, because -WAR WITHIN SPOILERS-.
-The rare 'smart' enemy that actually uses their arsenal to it's best (i.e: Scorch behind a Shield Lancer who surprise-knockdowns you, followed by being toasted by the Scorch; who encountered such a situation? ).

Regarding Warframe powers removing/adding to the environment:

Spoiler

Other Warframes should have similar treatment when DE reworks Corpus and Grineer interior tiles, whenever that happens:
-[Element]-ability frames leave patches of harmless [Element], or [Element-related remains], near where they cast their powers for a short time.
I.E: Inaros leaves sand, Nidus leaves small blotches of Infestation that slowly melt away, Volt causes room lights to shut off (lighting in the room dims, after flashes of electricity with appropriate sounds), Rhino leaves the room a little deformed due to his sheer weight, Excal leaves slashes of Exalted energy across the wall, Atlas leaves rocks behind, and Hydroid of course leaves the room with a puddle.

The localized lights-out thing though may need some work, but the rest have existing objects or items that can be reused (i.e: In some locations on Lua, you can find glowy Void-looking cracks; repainting them and Exalting them to look like slashes from Exalted Blade would be all that's needed, maybe with a fast fade-time on it, and some others, due to fx). Application of these effects rely on the general area the power was cast, or the user's location.

If I remember correctly the reasoning behind changing Volt's ultimate was based on two things, not every tileset has electrics to fry and the floating T-pose during it got him killed in late game.  They could have given him immunity during it but then you'd get a moment of inactivity making it a 'cut-scene' ability like Ash's old Blade Storm so instead they went for  ashort casting time that lets you keep up with the action while a longer ability duration continues.  Going back to the frying of electrics, that was cool when the Corpus ship was used for the majority of the starmap but some newer tiles it really wouldn't work with, making his power inconsistent and even when there were lights around it only worked the first time per room (the breaking of lights actually added damage, not just looked cool).  While it was cool, the novelty quickly wore off and people wanted a power that was worth casting and not a liability to use.

3 hours ago, Xekrin said:

Okay.pngOkay.pngOkay.pngOkay.pngOkay.pngOkay.pngOkay.pngOkay.pngOkay.pngOkay.pngOkay.pngOkay.pngOkay.pngOkay.pngOkay.png

If I was told to laugh, I was not crying happy or sad, but laughing in madness.

@(PS4)WINDMILEYNO Go tell that to the OTHER Games Devs who are the bunch ******** and Joke-ster. Like they think I am their FOOL.

PS, Some Dev don't care, they just think you are a nuisance or "have time" to deal with you. Meh. Seen many case, and a WHOLE picture of what those are, hope-less, RIP.

3 hours ago, Katinka said:

If I remember correctly the reasoning behind changing Volt's ultimate was based on two things, not every tileset has electrics to fry and the floating T-pose during it got him killed in late game.  They could have given him immunity during it but then you'd get a moment of inactivity making it a 'cut-scene' ability like Ash's old Blade Storm so instead they went for  ashort casting time that lets you keep up with the action while a longer ability duration continues.  Going back to the frying of electrics, that was cool when the Corpus ship was used for the majority of the starmap but some newer tiles it really wouldn't work with, making his power inconsistent and even when there were lights around it only worked the first time per room (the breaking of lights actually added damage, not just looked cool).  While it was cool, the novelty quickly wore off and people wanted a power that was worth casting and not a liability to use.

@(PS4) WINDMILEYNO ^Yeah, that sum up what kind of occurred, if you THINK about it, Volt 4 play with The Evolution Engine's lightning, also, Volt 4 does feel under-powered, in term of LIGHTNING's (REALISM-Yes I had to use it, Lightning supposedly one shot everything.). But Volt is NOT Mag, who is the Magnetic Frame.

Edited by DesFrSpace

9 minutes ago, Katinka said:

Well, the tpose duration and animation is the same. If its shorter, its not by much. They would have my unending thanks and praise if they would change the animation. Or allow him.to aircast it again

Edited by (PS4)WINDMILEYNO
Edit

26 minutes ago, (PS4)fullblast35 said:

i think the issue here in this thread context is the enemy AI.  If i share your opinion it would seem that enemies don't interact enough and are very slow when it comes to recovery.  Scaling kinda masks these issues since  at some point the enemies are very resistant and hit very hard.  The most interactive mobs in the game are Tyl Gregor and grineer manics.

Yes, i want is all enemies to be able to do interactive like things, like DODGE, the way an infested runner will if you shoot at it.

Fun is subjective. "Coolness" is subjective (I don't recall Volt ever being able to destroy large portions of the tileset - tilesets have never been able to be that interactive in terms of geometry). What you think is cool does not make it an objective fact. I personally do not have a problem with the abilities the way they are. I find many abilities fun. I have ideas for abilities that could be more fun, but that's just me.

42 minutes ago, (PS4)WINDMILEYNO said:

How can a argument really be made that DE does not have time to make frames better, if not add qol? No one said it had to be tomorrow, just asking for the problems to be recognized and not a silent "your concerns have been duly noted"

Because who are you (and who are we) to determine what they have time for? Plains of Eidolon is a great example. We didn't even know something like that existed, but it perfectly explains the slow rate of release for the updates. For all we know, they're constantly engaged with new projects, so understandably, they don't have the time to focus on small, minor things like QoL.

And really, even "your concerns have been duly noted" is a lot more than most devs give their players. I'm grateful they listen to us at all.

Also:

42 minutes ago, (PS4)WINDMILEYNO said:

"A good developer would make time!"

"A better gamer would deserve it"

0IKPX7b.jpg

Edited by PrVonTuckIII

3 hours ago, (PS4)WINDMILEYNO said:

Well, the tpose duration and animation is the same. If its shorter, its not by much. They would have my unending thanks and praise if they would change the animation. Or allow him.to aircast it again

OH that? Yeah, Volt 4 Spam >WAS< fun, but run it course almost like how some are tired with Ash's 4 of boredom. Volt 4 COULD have been like Tesla's Lightning of cool, but that be ANOTHER Post.

3 hours ago, (PS4)WINDMILEYNO said:

Yes, i want is all enemies to be able to do interactive like things, like DODGE, the way an infested runner will if you shoot at it.

Some Tennos are fined with current AI's Smart. If they get too Smart for their own good, you going to see A) Solo Tennos then Squad B)People just don't bother killing but ignoring Enemies, and just run for Exit, I would.

To every BAD DEV, and ******* Gamer who doesn't give Two Cent
@(PS4)WINDMILEYNO < You man, are just TIRED, take a VACATION/(month of break or Daily Tribute), this game does NOT developed wihtin 5 years and get DONE, it what some Game Dev who been in the Industry loosing it.

927.jpg

Go Rest and come back when Plain of Eidolons happen, you are getting rest-less.

Edited by DesFrSpace

7 minutes ago, PrVonTuckIII said:

Fun is subjective. "Coolness" is subjective (I don't recall Volt ever being able to destroy large portions of the tileset - tilesets have never been able to be that interactive in terms of geometry). What you think is cool does not make it an objective fact. I personally do not have a problem with the abilities the way they are. I find many abilities fun. I have ideas for abilities that could be more fun, but that's just me.

Because who are you (and who are we) to determine what they have time for? Plains of Eidolon is a great example. We didn't even know something like that existed, but it perfectly explains the slow rate of release for the updates. For all we know, they're constantly engaged with new projects, so understandably, they don't have the time to focus on small, minor things like QoL.

And really, even "your concerns have been duly noted" is a lot more than most devs give their players. I'm grateful they listen to us at all.

Also:

0IKPX7b.jpg

Its like Excalibur. Someone clearly realized that super jump was not a good ability. But they only came to that conclusion after deciding that parkour 2.0 was going to be a thing. It might be subjective, but im just going to say that super jump was always a bad ability, since day one. I feel that way. That made excalibur a bad frame to me. I dont like melee in this game, and think that excal looks dorky now using the hash slinging slasher technique to wave his sword back and forth. 

To me, there are abilities, passives, and synergies running rampant through this game that are equally just as bad as super jump was, but i know my opinion isnt the only one that countsb i just want to brimg those things up, because im not the developer, and this is the best way that i know to ask for improvement.

I dont see anything wrong with qol improvements...there isnt anythimg wrong with them that i know of. Can something be improved too much? World on fire was "improved", so that it drained instead of being on a timer, but left people calling it op. Im not asking for stuff like that. Why cant enemies AND abilities be improved in ways that just make them baseline better?

I just think that eventually, they will have time to adress these things, and would highly encourage them to do so. 

15 minutes ago, DesFrSpace said:

OH that? Yeah, Volt 4 Spam >WAS< fun, but run it course almost like how some are tired with Ash's 4 of boredom. Volt 4 COULD have been like Tesla's Lightning of cool, but that be ANOTHER Post.

Some Tennos are fined with current AI's Smart. If they get too Smart for their own good, you going to see A) Solo Tennos then Squad B)People just don't bother killing but ignoring Enemies, and just run for Exit, I would.

To every BAD DEV, and ******* Gamer who doesn't give Two Cent
@(PS4)WINDMILEYNO < You man, are just TIRED, take a VACATION/(month of break or Daily Tribute), this game does NOT developed wihtin 5 years and get DONE, it what some Game Dev who been in the Industry loosing it.

927.jpg

Go Rest and come back when Plain of Eidolons happen, you are getting rest-less.

This might be the part that makes you question why i am here, but i have been doing nothing but logging in for the reward for months (DE planned this).

Im sure plains of eidolon will be great, but it doesnt seem like it will adress the frames themselves. It seems to be leaning more towards operators. And with more operator heavy gameplay, im worried frame powers will indeed be the least of the developers concerns. Also, im worried about the warframe feed back section is closed.

42 minutes ago, Koldraxon-732 said:

-The rare 'smart' enemy that actually uses their arsenal to it's best (i.e: Scorch behind a Shield Lancer who surprise-knockdowns you, followed by being toasted by the Scorch; who encountered such a situation? ).

In my nightmares i still see what i found in one corpus sortie what i cant describe in any other way than impending doom to our system.

We were running towards our objective when i see a tech crossing throught a big door, i thought no problem we just charge throught him.

When the door opened i have seen 2 techs under the shields of 2 separate frost eximus nullfier sitting in a literal minefield along with that grabbing bursa, i didnt had any time to do something they started to fire at the moment the door started to move.

This was their formation:

N  T            T  N

O                   B                  O

O

If this was not a strategically placed trap for us then i dont know what it is.

9 minutes ago, Fallen_Echo said:

In my nightmares i still see what i found in one corpus sortie what i cant describe in any other way than impending doom to our system.

We were running towards our objective when i see a tech crossing throught a big door, i thought no problem we just charge throught him.

When the door opened i have seen 2 techs under the shields of 2 separate frost eximus nullfier sitting in a literal minefield along with that grabbing bursa, i didnt had any time to do something they started to fire at the moment the door started to move.

This was their formation:

N  T            T  N

O                   B                  O

O

If this was not a strategically placed trap for us then i dont know what it is.

Now just tone down the insta gib factor, and stuff like this would make warframe loads more entertaining.

12 minutes ago, Koldraxon-732 said:

What're those Os? Allies? You?

This needs to be part of a Corpus questline that gets you familiarized with how the Board invents new (non?)Combat Proxies and involves Index bosses, somehow.

Ossprey mines, to cover the whole area.

8 hours ago, (PS4)Elvenbane said:

What's wrong with Rip Line as an ability? You can pull enemies towards you or play Spider-man, it's a fun 1st ability...also it seems like stuff gets tweaked/changed fairly often...

I have a problem with alot of the warframe abilities. Ripline can be fun...but the last time i saw someone seriously use it as a valkyr was before 2.0, when some of the only ways to get up to a secret orokin rook was multi casting nova worm holes, zephyr, or ripline. Excalibrs super jump was still useless then.

Its ultimately just a long list of personal problems, but the ripline you enjoy would still be the same ripline, if not better.

I would also say mesa's first ability is not a real ability, and neither is Nyx's psychic bolts.

9 hours ago, (PS4)Elvenbane said:

What's wrong with Rip Line as an ability? You can pull enemies towards you or play Spider-man, it's a fun 1st ability...also it seems like stuff gets tweaked/changed fairly often...

Its in general useless, it has an unneeded combo system, the targeting is a bit problematic and has a cast delay.

To make it a decent first ability all it needs is to get the combo system removed along with the cast delay and apply a 1 sec stun in 8m around the target valkyr riplined to fix the targeting problems.