Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So.. what about custom attack animations?

duvencrune

Warning: my english is´nt perfect by a long shot. Think about that before correcting me in the comments.

Sooo... hi. This is my first time writing something on the forums cause nothing before really felt like it would be important enough to tell anyone. Oh and if you read the name "edgytryhard" please ignore it, a friend of mine took 200 of my pl and changed my name from xCakehunter to that.

Okay, now that that´s said let´s talk about my concept.

In the last time I played a lot of DS3 and really liked the combat animations they got there. Since I´m playing Warframe since more than 2 years now I instantly thought about how to create a similar or maybe even better feeling there. And like the title says: Custom attack animations. Or maybe custom stance mods. Anyway, the goal is for the players to be able to create their own way of attacking. In the time I thought about it I found 3 major problems to solve before its possible.

1. Getting it to the devs. I´m not roaming around a lot on the forums so I dont know if a DE member is sometimes seeing through the posts. If someone knows a good solution, please put it in the comments.

2. Is it even possible to create a system that could to that? Since I´m going to talk about the system itself in the next point, please read on and then tell me about your opinion.

3. How could it work? Until now I only thought about a simple system that works like the following: you see your warframe in a 3D view like in the arsenal. If you know the ship editor in Worlds adrift, its essentially like that. Through 3 sliders (up/down, forward/back, left/right) you set the starting point of the attack/swing and do the same thing with the ending point. The longer the distance the weapon has to move and the more stretched out the arm of the warframe is the longer it takes until the next attack can be started (=it lowers or speeds up your attack speed). Through options like in the cosmetics menu you are able to pick if you want any modifiers in your attack such as spinning the weapon on the way or moving it more like in a circle than in a line to the end point.

As Koldraxon-732 suggested an easier to use and easier to implement idea in the comments we´re now going with his way of creating the stance:

"-You would have a limited number of 'animation slots' which would be where you'd fit an attack animation. You can draw from all stances you own, but none from ones you don't.
 -Selection of stance moves are tied to what keys/buttons have to be pressed to cause them; some stance moves can't be paired with others without a sort of transition gap (pause).
 -You can only make stances for weapons you have stances for - like Defiled Snapdragon for the Mios blade-whip."

As I said, even the concept is´nt even near finished and I´ll work on it if I´m able to.

Please put all suggestions into the comments.

GL, HF

Edited by edgytryhard
Koldraxon-732 had a good suggestion.

It is totally possible, totally doable, and would require a MASSIVE amount of dev time to accomplish. Right now, the game uses preset animations. In order to do what you want, the game would have to change over to keyframe animations Basically, you come up with two poses, and you let the character's limbs move from pose A to pose B programatically. It allows for much more fluidity, but it also requires a lot of work because sometimes the animation algorithms decide that, for instance, the best way for a character to turn their head from left to right is to do a full 360. So you have to put in a lot of time and effort making sure that only 'realistic' movements are possible. It's a butt-ton of work.

While custom attack animations for personalized stances are currently neigh-impossible - without having access to DE's animating suite and an example/placeholder weapon to compliment each pile of stances, this would introduce Tennogen Stances, which would be implemented freely (but for this to be possible, this website will need it's own Tennogen workshop for separate items, such as these) if DE is happy with it and can implement it with some ease - new stances using existing animations should be fairly easy to make.

Here's how the first version works:

Spoiler

-DE releases their animation program, with all the assets linked to it. Surplus features like Captura settings, and surplus lighting settings - and the ability to spawn props, would be included on top of the ability to record the footage and scene as it develops or changes - if keyframed. This would allow the program to serve two purposes: 1: Promotion of Warframe through fan-works. 2: Creation of new animations for literally everything. If they go so far, one could even have Hunhow - as a white, weaponless but not armless, Conculyst drinking a drink - while reminiscing about music. 

-This version would be the most complicated as it is essentially Captura Prime and would be able to draw from your customizations, stats, everything, to provide gameplay-accurate fights (depending on what level you set it). Should DE go through with this extreme and succeed - at least with the first section of this version - then they will have a worthy competitor to the archaic Source Filmmaker.

-Not just that though; this version would enable you to make cinematics given what I mentioned it should be able to do, on top of its main purpose (making your own Stances), which can then be put up as Tennogen for DE to select and integrate. I mean, imagine making a cinematic version of a few missions - cropped into essential points, like when Stalker invades - and putting them up for approval. Or showing what a Warframe does when you're not ingame (i.e: cleaning the floor, feeding Helminth and the fish, sleeping in front of The Door).

Here's how the second, more immediately viable, version works, vaguely speaking:

Spoiler

-You would have a limited number of 'animation slots' which would be where you'd fit an attack animation. You can draw from all stances you own, but none from ones you don't.
-Selection of stance moves are tied to what keys/buttons have to be pressed to cause them; some stance moves can't be paired with others without a sort of transition gap (pause).
-You can only make stances for weapons you have stances for - like Defiled Snapdragon for the Mios blade-whip.
-They will have to be assessed by an appropriate DE department before implementation into the loot table, would likely get name-changed by said department, and would only be usable in Conclave when DE's gameplay balance department has assessed it's fairness in the Conclave battlefield.
-You can name your stance, but it would be replaced with the approved version upon approval. 
-These stances would be Common in classification (bronze).

The latter (Version/Option 2) would be able to be implemented much, much sooner, and would be easier to curate (trim out unfavourable/overpowered stances).

1 hour ago, edgytryhard said:

3. How could it work? Until now I only thought about a simple system that works like the following: you see your warframe in a 3D view like in the arsenal. If you know the ship editor in Worlds adrift, its essentially like that. Through 3 sliders (up/down, forward/back, left/right) you set the starting point of the attack/swing and do the same thing with the ending point. The longer the distance the weapon has to move and the more stretched out the arm of the warframe is the longer it takes until the next attack can be started (=it lowers or speeds up your attack speed). Through options like in the cosmetics menu you are able to pick if you want any modifiers in your attack such as spinning the weapon on the way or moving it more like in a circle than in a line to the end point.

Regardless of how hard it would be for the devs, this would be impossible for the players to do. I can't imagine anyone sitting for hours on end just to finish a single swing of their sword. It wouldn't be worth the effort.

• 3 weeks later...
On 24.7.2017 at 8:36 PM, Koldraxon-732 said:

this would introduce Tennogen Stances,

and

On 24.7.2017 at 8:36 PM, Koldraxon-732 said:

-They will have to be assessed by an appropriate DE department before implementation into the loot table, would likely get name-changed by said department, and would only be usable in Conclave when DE's gameplay balance department has assessed it's fairness in the Conclave battlefield.
-You can name your stance, but it would be replaced with the approved version upon approval. 

I meant it in an entirely other way. Yes, the idea is pretty good, but I meant that you can only create a limited number of stances and, like riven mods, theyre pretty much unique. You can trade them, yes, but the stance wouldnt be added to any loot tables. With the limitations I thought about something like you can only create 2 stances per week, your overall capacity maybe scaling with MR (like,you start with a capacity of 0 at MR 0 and get +1 capacity every 2. MR). So, yes, theyre pretty much like self-created riven mods.

Also, they have to have a similar structure than a normal stance mod (in the way that 1 stance contains a certain number of combos and every combo contains a limited number of animations). It could be possible to create higher- rank stances with a higher creation cost (although no plat, costs only credits and resources, e.g. a golden stance costs 200k credits, 4 argons and a few other stuff to create). There have to be restrictions about how often the same animation can be used in a combo. if we still go with the idea that you can select animations from all the stances you have (i dont mean combos, I mean the animations out of the combo),wich would make the whole thing a lot easier to create as opposed to my original idea.

On 24.7.2017 at 8:54 PM, PrVonTuckIII said:

Regardless of how hard it would be for the devs, this would be impossible for the players to do. I can't imagine anyone sitting for hours on end just to finish a single swing of their sword. It wouldn't be worth the effort.

Yes youre talking about my original system but even with that it would be possible to create a whole combo in about 15-20 mins (have you ever seen the Worlds Adrift ship editing system?)

as it stands now, warframes combat is 100% better than any melee Bethesda has ever made

BOOM!!!

bethesda, you are way over outdated and lame

but yeah, they dont read warframe forums {Bethesda} DE does though, they are like YEAH Boi!!! we on dis new LEVel !!@#!@

-_- 

Edited by (PS4)Tomplexthis
i dont hate bethesda, just their 1 2 animation for every single weapon in all of their games, plus their first person has no feet =p