Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Login Rewards kind of unattainable for new players

eksby

600 days to get Primed Shred means a new player will have to log in every day for almost two years just to get that mod. Perhaps it's time to revisit the login reward method, maybe make it a 30 day cycle where you can pick what mod or weapon you want at the end of each cycle? 

Any better ideas? 

Edit: This isn't about needing the weapons or mods, but about how it feels for a new player when they see they will have to wait literal years to get something they might want in the login milestone awards. It doesn't exactly feel motivating to know that you need to log in 600 days to get Primed Shred, or 300 days to get Zenistar. And there's currently literally nothing you can do to make those time-gates shorter, unlike in the rest of the game where you can pay plat to rush something, or use plat to buy a vaulted item from another player. 

--

Do you like the way login rewards are right now? Vote here: http://www.strawpoll.me/13525030

Edited by eksby

Why would a new player need Primed Shred? 

It's totally optional/not necessary like everything in login rewards. 

And even if it were more "pseudo-mandatory" for end game, why would a new player need end game stuff? 

It takes a long time and a lot of work to get to the level most of us veterans are at. I have watched a friend who never played that much in the past trying to play more recently to get ready for Plains of Eidolon, and the amount of regular r10 mods he still needs to rank up, that aren't prime at all, is a lot. 

He won't even have the endo to worry about primed mods besides continuity for quite some time, and only after a lot of work. 

I just really don't see a problem here. 

I do think there should be an end to it though. Primed Shred is roughly two years I think, or close to it. I think it's about time we stop adding more login rewards that are non cosmetic, one time rewards. 

Edit: I don't even have Primed Vigor yet and I can faceroll anything I want to... I don't need it. Thousands of players facerolled high level content before Primed Shred was ever added to the game. In fact correct me if I am wrong, but I didn't think anyone had it yet, so why would new players need it to win missions? 

Edited by Tesseract7777

3 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

Why would a new player need Primed Shred? 

It's totally optional/not necessary like everything in login rewards. 

And even if it were more "pseudo-mandatory" for end game, why would a new player need end game stuff? 

It takes a long time and a lot of work to get to the level most of us veterans are at. I have watched a friend who never played that much in the past trying to play more recently to get ready for Plains of Eidolon, and the amount of regular r10 mods he still needs to rank up, that aren't prime at all, is a lot. 

He won't even have the endo to worry about primed mods besides continuity for quite some time, and only after a lot of work. 

I just really don't see a problem here. 

I do think there should be an end to it though. Primed Shred is roughly two years I think, or close to it. I think it's about time we stop adding more login rewards that are non cosmetic, one time rewards. 

Edit: I don't even have Primed Vigor yet and I can faceroll anything I want to... I don't need it. Thousands of players facerolled high level content before it was ever added to the game. 

No one really needs it, per se, but it does feel extraordinarily crappy to not be able to get a mod or weapon that your friend has but you can't get because you just started out. I just got a friend into Warframe, and they're pretty bummed out that they won't be able to get the Zenistar until they log in for another 300 days. That's almost literally a year of logging in every single day until they can play with a pretty cool weapon. 

I agree with you that there needs to be an end to it, and soon. Either that, or there needs to be a rework of the login milestones, because right now there is nothing these new players (or even veterans, who haven't logged in every day) can do to get those extremely time-locked weapons and mods besides log in every day for literal years. 

I'm 4 days from my zenistar, and i've played off and on since we nixed the stamina bar. Yet i don't feel like I'm missing out. Most new players don't seem to care about primed mods, they're still playing through the game. Exclusivity is just part of the game, look at founders. baro. prime access. it is what it is.

Isn't the point of login rewards to provide something for consistent players? As someone above me pointed out, by the time you get most of them, you're really not a new player any more. And if you ARE a new player, you're in no dire need of Primed Vigor/Shred or any of the sundial weapons.

Not that things like the Zenistar aren't cool and all, but...really, I hate to sound dismissive, but if that's the one thing you're fishing for in a game with hundreds of weapons, you may be a little too narrow-minded for this game.

Honestly when i first read this i was a bit of a snob about having played for so long ya know "why should they get stuff ive logged in for". That being said, I can understand that, 600 days for a mod is a tad ridiculous. I love primed fury more than most mods and it would suck to have to wait for so long. Grinding mastery in warframe, especially with things like xp boosters and everyone's beloved bere, its not hard to get to a high mr. So you would be a veteran by the time you even got close to getting those mods. It does seem a bit odd to me and I would be down for a rework  even though i have 300+ login days

3 minutes ago, eksby said:

No one really needs it, per se, but it does feel extraordinarily crappy to not be able to get a mod or weapon that your friend has but you can't get because you just started out. I just got a friend into Warframe, and they're pretty bummed out that they won't be able to get the Zenistar until they log in for another 300 days. That's almost literally a year of logging in every single day until they can play with a pretty cool weapon. 

I agree with you that there needs to be an end to it, and soon. Either that, or there needs to be a rework of the login milestones, because right now there is nothing these new players (or even veterans, who haven't logged in every day) can do to get those extremely time-locked weapons and mods besides log in every day for literal years. 

I understand their frustration -- that envy of not being able to have something no matter how hard you try, your only option being to be loyal to the game for literally years. 

However, I also think that it isn't that big a deal, as there are like 300+ weapons in the game and counting. 

I do think it needs to stop though. IMO roughly two years should be the hard cutoff point for anything that provides mastery or increases your warframe or weapons power. My suggestion to DE would be to make the 50 increment packages a little more desirable for vets. 100 level rewards should be like, sundial themed cosmetics or something, that you can only get from logging in enough. 

I have heard some people talk about locking a frame behind login rewards and it is easily the worst idea I have ever heard. I fear DE will try to add a shotgun sundial weapon or something though, locked behind then next 100 days, I hope not though. We really don't need to lock mastery stuff behind 2+ years of logging in. 

It's a bit annoying that we're locked out of some of these weapons and mods until we login for a ridiculous amount of time, despite how long some of us have been playing the game. I have been playing for over 4 years, and am a week from getting primed fury.

2 minutes ago, dmantacos said:

Honestly when i first read this i was a bit of a snob about having played for so long ya know "why should they get stuff ive logged in for". That being said, I can understand that, 600 days for a mod is a tad ridiculous. I love primed fury more than most mods and it would suck to have to wait for so long. Grinding mastery in warframe, especially with things like xp boosters and everyone's beloved bere, its not hard to get to a high mr. So you would be a veteran by the time you even got close to getting those mods. It does seem a bit odd to me and I would be down for a rework  even though i have 300+ login days

Veteran Player != high mr player, you can get to mr 20 really really quick if you go for it. Vet players are (typically speaking) the people who have been playing warframe through everything.

Edited by Mr_Folf

Maybe a good system would be to have a consistency login reward based system that was also tied to mastery so that low mr players would get things like potatoes and affinity boosters (things that they actually need) as benchmarks and high mr players would get things like primed mods and riven/sortie reward kinda stuff (that they actually need) eliminating the disconnect between login reward days and actual experience

Just now, NinthAria said:

Isn't the point of login rewards to provide something for consistent players? As someone above me pointed out, by the time you get most of them, you're really not a new player any more. And if you ARE a new player, you're in no dire need of Primed Vigor/Shred or any of the sundial weapons.

Not that things like the Zenistar aren't cool and all, but...really, I hate to sound dismissive, but if that's the one thing you're fishing for in a game with hundreds of weapons, you may be a little too narrow-minded for this game.

Well, a lot of people who play this game are collectors...you can't really dismiss those people by calling them "narrow-minded" just because your playstyle is different from them. Isn't it a bit narrow-minded of yourself then to say what you said up there?

Besides, even some veterans don't have 600 days logged in, because not everyone can log in every single day. The way the login milestones are set up right now kind of punishes players who don't have time to log in every day.

1 minute ago, dmantacos said:

Lets not get away with ourselves, i dont think anybody is really that upset about the WEAPONS, im sure most of us are only referring to mods, nobody is butthurt about waiting for the zenistar lets keep it real.

Actually, I don't care at all for the mods, but kind of want the weapons. At 350 days myself. :P

7 minutes ago, Mr_Folf said:

It's a bit annoying that we're locked out of some of these weapons and mods until we login for a ridiculous amount of time, despite how long some of us have been playing the game. I have been playing for over 4 years, and am a week from getting primed fury.

Yeah, I have to agree with this here too. 

7 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

I understand their frustration -- that envy of not being able to have something no matter how hard you try, your only option being to be loyal to the game for literally years. 

However, I also think that it isn't that big a deal, as there are like 300+ weapons in the game and counting. 

I do think it needs to stop though. IMO roughly two years should be the hard cutoff point for anything that provides mastery or increases your warframe or weapons power. My suggestion to DE would be to make the 50 increment packages a little more desirable for vets. 100 level rewards should be like, sundial themed cosmetics or something, that you can only get from logging in enough. 

I have heard some people talk about locking a frame behind login rewards and it is easily the worst idea I have ever heard. I fear DE will try to add a shotgun sundial weapon or something though, locked behind then next 100 days, I hope not though. We really don't need to lock mastery stuff behind 2+ years of logging in. 

It's sometimes a big deal for people who like to collect things, since there's nothing else in the game for them to do anymore. Two years is still quite a long time, especially if you count in the fact that it's probably not feasible for most people to log in every single day in a year.

Oh man, a frame locked behind login rewards. Now that would be a disaster...

Just now, eksby said:

Well, a lot of people who play this game are collectors...you can't really dismiss those people by calling them "narrow-minded" just because your playstyle is different from them. Isn't it a bit narrow-minded of yourself then to say what you said up there?

Besides, even some veterans don't have 600 days logged in, because not everyone can log in every single day. The way the login milestones are set up right now kind of punishes players who don't have time to log in every day.

Some people are collectors. And I fully understand that itch of having missing spots on the list with nothing you can do about it. I just think focusing on that and only that is not a good way to keep engaged with a game like Warframe, which offers considerably more than just collecting stuff. That is, quite definitively, a narrow-minded approach. Which is not a judgment call--it just means you might need to open yourself up to new avenues of enjoyment. Worst case scenario, it means Warframe just might not be your kind of game.

Also, you can flip the logic around pretty easily here: Login reward weapons are, essentially, free high-quality gear; all you have to do is stick around. That's a time commitment to be sure, but it's also a sure thing--which, for many, is a godsend in a game with heavily RNG-driven rewards like Warframe.

4 minutes ago, VirtualViolet said:

That's kind of the point of the login reward milestones. Unique items for long-time players of the game. Anyone can attain those items if they stick around long enough.

You mean, unique items for players who log in every day. I'm a long-time player, but I'm only on day 350 and I've played this game for probably four years...

I don't think anyone can accuse me of not sticking around long enough, even bought Founders. The main problem is, the current login reward system rewards players who are able to log in every day—it doesn't actually reward long time players. 

5 minutes ago, eksby said:

It's sometimes a big deal for people who like to collect things, since there's nothing else in the game for them to do anymore. Two years is still quite a long time, especially if you count in the fact that it's probably not feasible for most people to log in every single day in a year.

Oh man, a frame locked behind login rewards. Now that would be a disaster...

I understand some people have that collectors mentality, but at least they will be able to get it eventually, unlike stuff like founders stuff which is locked from them forever. No non-founder will ever be able to collect everything mastery or mod related for that reason. 

But yeah, a login reward frame? I might honestly quit. 

Edit: Personally I think veterans should have been given some initial leg up into the new login rewards system, but for some reason DE's decision at the time was to make everyone start on a level playing field. I'm probably close to where you are, I'm at around day 375 I think, and while I haven't been playing as long as you have, as you have a founders badge, I had been playing for what felt like a very long time before the new login rewards system -- although I have never bothered to go check when my actual start date was. 

Edited by Tesseract7777

2 minutes ago, eksby said:

The main problem is, the current login reward system rewards players who are able to log in every day—it doesn't actually reward long time players. 

This is gonna sound harsh, but you just described almost every reward mechanic in the game. First mission bonuses, sorties, crafting times, and even just general gameplay--there's very little that a daily player won't get before a less frequent player. That's just the way of things.

1 minute ago, NinthAria said:

Some people are collectors. And I fully understand that itch of having missing spots on the list with nothing you can do about it. I just think focusing on that and only that is not a good way to keep engaged with a game like Warframe, which offers considerably more than just collecting stuff. That is, quite definitively, a narrow-minded approach. Which is not a judgment call--it just means you might need to open yourself up to new avenues of enjoyment. Worst case scenario, it means Warframe just might not be your kind of game.

Also, you can flip the logic around pretty easily here: Login reward weapons are, essentially, free high-quality gear; all you have to do is stick around. That's a time commitment to be sure, but it's also a sure thing--which, for many, is a godsend in a game with heavily RNG-driven rewards like Warframe.

I'm not an extreme collector myself, don't worry about me. I've accepted I cannot get some things, and it doesn't bother me much. What bothers me is feeling bad about using login reward weapons around my newbie friends, because they have literally no way to get the weapon faster. 

The thing is though, you can bypass the rng by paying plat. Want a vaulted weapon? Buy it from someone trading it. Want an exclusive mod? Buy it from someone. So your point kind of doesn't really work here...

The only thing you cannot bypass with plat are the login rewards, and it's not really "sticking around," but "log in every day no matter what." I've been here since the new login reward system came into being, but I don't have 600 days logged in. It doesn't reward players who have stayed with the game, but players who are able to log in every day. People have lives and jobs—I buy plat every time I can, but my life prevents me from logging in every day. So in a way, it kind of doesn't really even reward paying customers...

In my opinion, the more you play, the more you get. Simple. More you enter the game on a daily basis the faster you get daily rewards. Its not about long time players its about consistency. Of course this is how i see it.