Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Thanks for Watching Devstream #96!

[DE]Rebecca

@[DE]Rebecca, @[DE]Steve I was very disappointed in the devstream. As an open world fan, I'm not interested in the Plains being just a large exploration space. I don't care about hunting monsters or fishing. Plains of Eidolon looks like it'll be about as fresh as Archwing was when it came out. It's new, it's interesting, but it's ultimately shallow. And what you guys said about PoE looks like it will be shallow in my opinion. Like, where is the interactivity? There doesn't seem to be much of it in the Plains. Seems like the list of things to do will be 1) kill Grineer for some quest/contract, 2) explore cave, 3) hop in archwing, 4) fish, and 5) fight the Eidolon. No mention of interaction between different factions mentioned. No mention of various means of travel in the environment. No mention of various AI behavior and activities in the Plains. No mention of some alert/notoriety system that makes for a dynamic challenging experience. No mention of motion-capturing animations (to facilitate a smoother, more immersive free roam experience).

If PoE is just an open exploratory space and isn't an actual open world experience, then I can't say that I'm the least bit interested in it. And if this is all the landscapes are going to be, then I'd rather we not get any more landscapes. We can already explore Orokin towers and tilesets. What will make the Plains different? What will make the Plains fresh? How is it a new direction for Warframe if all it's going to be is replacing plant scanning with fishing and throwing what is essentially a Lephantis in a larger gameplay space? Why not just add fish to existing tilesets with water and let us fish there? Why not just make a new tileset with the Eidolon as a boss fight? Why not just add Ostron weapon crafting to existing relays? What is the point of having what is essentially an open world-style environment if it's not going to be a full open world experience? The limited amount of stuff you've talked about for PoE you could do in the existing tilesets. There's so much more I want to say, about what I wanted to see in Plains of Eidolon and what you failed to mention, but I already made a lengthy thread about that, and I don't feel like repeating what I've already said.

After the Plains of Eidolon reveal at Tennocon, I was excited. I was more excited than I've been in these past four years of Warframe's "open beta". I was excited about Warframe's future, about Warframe's potential, about this seemingly new direction that Warframe was going into. This devstream shattered all of my excitement, my hype, for PoE and Warframe's future. It just looks like more of the same. It looks like another Archwing/Conclave/Lunaro/Focus/Transference: it looks nice, but there's little substance.

As an open world fan, I wish I had confidence that there would be more to PoE than what we were shown at Tennocon. I wish I had confidence that there would be some more meaningful gameplay in PoE. I wish I had confidence that we would be getting an immersive, interactive, engaging, and full open world gameplay experience with Plains of Eidolon. But I don't have any confidence in that at all. I'm glad other players were excited after watching this devstream. I wasn't. And I honestly don't know if I could ever be excited about any future announcement again, because I'm not sure any announcement would excite me as much as the PoE announcement did and I'm afraid I'd just end up being extremely disappointed like I am now.

Edited by A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n

when we will get new stuff into game adleast an underground train station or helicopters adleast for pvp or ingame transport game is quite booring same misions over and over only new thing will be plains of eidolon whenever it will be here a player said 25 december this year :(

Threshcone Prime notwithstanding... :laugh:

What I really liked about that snippet was the snarky back-and-forth conversation between the Operators. I'd actually love to have more of that in-mission, as Operators in teams apparently compare notes, snark, and wax sarcastic about the Grineer, Corpus, and generally everything else that ticks them off. That would be awesome!

@[DE]Rebecca and @[DE]Steve.... what was that with the computer hot seat and Steve's apparent utter resistance to being on the computer? ....Steve... are you actually a bit camera shy? He seems fine when in a group, but he seems a bit more hesitant or outright resistant on his own. Maybe Steve needs to join Prime time for some practice?

Threshcone Prime!!!

@[DE]Rebecca @[DE]Steve

On a side note, I love my equinox, and while surfing through fashionframe for her, i saw that there was an angel and devil themed alt helmet for her/him/it from devstream 89, whatever happened to that alt helmet? it seemed pretty complete and cool. So i am asking if that will ever come out? if it does, how soon? And a sub-question i have would be, will there be more alt helmets for the other frames which are lacking in helmets / skins.

As a game programming student, I understand that making a game isn't easy, but i would just like to know if it is still coming in release, since the devstream 89 post said it was coming.

Yours Sincerely,

LYoshiiro

P.S. if i posted this in the wrong location, please notify me and direct me to the right channel, i'm not too sure where to post this.

Edited by LYoshiiro

On 7/29/2017 at 4:29 AM, A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n said:

@[DE]Rebecca, @[DE]Steve I was very disappointed in the devstream. As an open world fan, I'm not interested in the Plains being just a large exploration space. I don't care about hunting monsters or fishing. Plains of Eidolon looks like it'll be about as fresh as Archwing was when it came out. It's new, it's interesting, but it's ultimately shallow. And what you guys said about PoE looks like it will be shallow in my opinion. Like, where is the interactivity? There doesn't seem to be much of it in the Plains. Seems like the list of things to do will be 1) kill Grineer for some quest/contract, 2) explore cave, 3) hop in archwing, 4) fish, and 5) fight the Eidolon. No mention of interaction between different factions mentioned. No mention of various means of travel in the environment. No mention of various AI behavior and activities in the Plains. No mention of some alert/notoriety system that makes for a dynamic challenging experience. No mention of motion-capturing animations (to facilitate a smoother, more immersive free roam experience).

If PoE is just an open exploratory space and isn't an actual open world experience, then I can't say that I'm the least bit interested in it. And if this is all the landscapes are going to be, then I'd rather we not get any more landscapes. We can already explore Orokin towers and tilesets. What will make the Plains different? What will make the Plains fresh? How is it a new direction for Warframe if all it's going to be is replacing plant scanning with fishing and throwing what is essentially a Lephantis in a larger gameplay space? Why not just add fish to existing tilesets with water and let us fish there? Why not just make a new tileset with the Eidolon as a boss fight? Why not just add Ostron weapon crafting to existing relays? What is the point of having what is essentially an open world-style environment if it's not going to be a full open world experience? The limited amount of stuff you've talked about for PoE you could do in the existing tilesets. There's so much more I want to say, about what I wanted to see in Plains of Eidolon and what you failed to mention, but I already made a lengthy thread about that, and I don't feel like repeating what I've already said.

After the Plains of Eidolon reveal at Tennocon, I was excited. I was more excited than I've been in these past four years of Warframe's "open beta". I was excited about Warframe's future, about Warframe's potential, about this seemingly new direction that Warframe was going into. This devstream shattered all of my excitement, my hype, for PoE and Warframe's future. It just looks like more of the same. It looks like another Archwing/Conclave/Lunaro/Focus/Transference: it looks nice, but there's little substance.

As an open world fan, I wish I had confidence that there would be more to PoE than what we were shown at Tennocon. I wish I had confidence that there would be some more meaningful gameplay in PoE. I wish I had confidence that we would be getting an immersive, interactive, engaging, and full open world gameplay experience with Plains of Eidolon. But I don't have any confidence in that at all. I'm glad other players were excited after watching this devstream. I wasn't. And I honestly don't know if I could ever be excited about any future announcement again, because I'm not sure any announcement would excite me as much as the PoE announcement did and I'm afraid I'd just end up being extremely disappointed like I am now.

"Open world, free roam, or (more loosely) sandbox are terms for video games where a player can move freely through a virtual world and is given considerable freedom in regard to how and when to approach particular objectives, as opposed to other video games that have a more linear structure to their gameplay."

that was Wikipedia's definition of open world, so somewhere along the lines, your ideal term of open world became flawed. Sure, it wont be a sandbox by any means however to implement your own view as a general view is not right either, nor am i saying my own views are right either. As for the devstream, the lack of new information sure it is disheartening but think of it in the developer's position, if they were to release more information to the players, what more is there for us to find out for ourselves? it would be like destiny all over again, surely nobody wants that, I know I don't.

I can say that i agree with more than half of your post, being that there could be more appealing contend than to what was presented to us. That being said, everyone is dying to know more about the plains, as of right now, most of the key features of the plains are still being developed, expect there to be changes.

Placing expectations on something that have yet to come out is harsh but that's reality, we all can only hope that it isn't a let down.

By no means am i defending DE, I just what is logical to me as a game programmer myself.

Oh and before i forget...

"A sandbox is a style of game in which minimal character limitations are placed on the gamer, allowing the gamer to roam and change a virtual world at will. In contrast to a progression-style game, a sandbox game emphasizes roaming and allows a gamer to select tasks." ~ Wikipedia's definition of sandbox.

18 minutes ago, LYoshiiro said:

"Open world, free roam, or (more loosely) sandbox are terms for video games where a player can move freely through a virtual world and is given considerable freedom in regard to how and when to approach particular objectives, as opposed to other video games that have a more linear structure to their gameplay."

that was Wikipedia's definition of open world, so somewhere along the lines, your ideal term of open world became flawed. Sure, it wont be a sandbox by any means however to implement your own view as a general view is not right either, nor am i saying my own views are right either. As for the devstream, the lack of new information sure it is disheartening but think of it in the developer's position, if they were to release more information to the players, what more is there for us to find out for ourselves? it would be like destiny all over again, surely nobody wants that, I know I don't.

I can say that i agree with more than half of your post, being that there could be more appealing contend than to what was presented to us. That being said, everyone is dying to know more about the plains, as of right now, most of the key features of the plains are still being developed, expect there to be changes.

Placing expectations on something that have yet to come out is harsh but that's reality, we all can only hope that it isn't a let down.

By no means am i defending DE, I just what is logical to me as a game programmer myself.

"A sandbox is a style of game in which minimal character limitations are placed on the gamer, allowing the gamer to roam and change a virtual world at will. In contrast to a progression-style game, a sandbox game emphasizes roaming and allows a gamer to select tasks." ~ Wikipedia's definition of sandbox.

I'm on the dark theme, and the white highlighted parts are really weird. What you don't understand, and what is missing about DE's planned Plains of Eidolon, is that we're not getting "considerable" freedom in how and when to approach particular objectives. Having the option of archwing or on-foot is not "considerable". Limited AI behavior limits the "considerable" freedom that we could have in approaching objectives. Limited missions limits the kinds of objectives we could have, which in turn limits the "considerable" freedom of our objective approach.

I'm not sure why you brought up Destiny, but Destiny's problem isn't that they actually informed their playerbase of what to expect from their game. I'm not sure why you even think it's a good idea to hide information from players. Being secretive about your plans isn't giving your players opportunity for discovery. It's just deliberately keeping your players in the dark because it's easier for you to not have to explain your game to potential customers. I don't think that's what DE is doing anyway. I don't believe for one second that DE has all these amazing things planned and is just keeping them secret. I honestly don't think they've considered the Plains to be much more than a large exploratory space. And I think that's why they were hesitant to talk about what actual gameplay missions would take place in the Plains; they instead focused on technical aspects only, which, imo, isn't spectacular at all since many other developers have mastered the technical aspects of open world for years now. I don't think it's wrong, or harsh, to ask DE what their plans are for gameplay in the Plains.

Also, I never used the term sandbox, so I'm not sure why you brought that up. Open world =/= sandbox.

6 hours ago, Cortanis said:

@[DE]Rebecca and @[DE]Steve.... what was that with the computer hot seat and Steve's apparent utter resistance to being on the computer? ....Steve... are you actually a bit camera shy? He seems fine when in a group, but he seems a bit more hesitant or outright resistant on his own. Maybe Steve needs to join Prime time for some practice?

Steve's been more eager to show off stuff before, so I don't think he's camera shy. I think it was because Steve had no new gameplay to show from Plains of Eidolon. It was very noticeable that he was playing the same demo they showed off at Tennocon (it even had that same intro cinematic, with the same intro music, which I doubt will play every time we enter Cetus). So I think that's why he was hesitant to hop on the computer. I think it was because there was no real reason for him to do so because there wasn't more to show. It wouldn't surprise me if not much is functional at this point. I doubt that even the weapon crafting is fully functional at this stage. So, all of that is to say that I really think the hesitance stemmed from there being no real point for him being on the computer, and I don't think it had anything to do with him being camera-shy. Or maybe he just didn't feel like getting up to get on the computer. idk.

Edited by A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n

16 hours ago, LYoshiiro said:

Please don't format this way it's really hard to read, making your point extremely difficult to get across.
rPx8tGu.pngThis is how the post looks right now.
james-clynes-ransom-note.jpg

Edited by Navarchus