Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Suggestion for the Convectrix

Krion112

Since I obtained the Convectrix, some long time ago, I've been trying to make it work in any way conceivable, and I just can't. It just simply does not do the job it should be accomplishing. It's a beam shotgun, a weapon of retribution, the end of the fight, and yet I find myself stuck in a fight more than anything with this weapon. And as much as I know Corpus weapons are oriented to the defense of their wielders, this weapon does not encourage Defense as much as it discourages doing anything else.

It doesn't do any defensive effects, it doesn't deal damage or cause status at any reasonable rate, it drains ammo like crazy, and the 'fanning' ability is just absolutely worthless and counter-intuitive, as in the thick of it, trying to use the fanning ability, while dodging around and using abilities or even trying to hold your ground, just doesn't create any satisfactory effect, even on crowds of incapacitated enemies.

But, I've come with a set of suggestions to boost this weapon up:

No Fanning Control - The Convectrix would automatically converge the beams after hitting the trigger; it would no longer be a true continuous weapon, as you would merely hit the trigger, and the weapon would do the rest. Once converged, the beams would deactivate and return to the starting position. For visual representation, the Thermal Lance weapon of the Colossus from Starcraft 2 would probably be an accurate depiction of how this would function. If an enemy is struck by the converged beams, they could be inflicted with Shock status.

Increased Fanning Speed - Likewise, the twin beams would converge faster, to make a quick and concise attack, as is the case with shotguns to be quick to end a fight.

No Continuous Ammo Consumption - Without the Continuous trigger, each trigger pull would only consume 1 ammo. This of course would mean that the weapon should have its magazine size reduced, probably to somewhere between 10 & 20, but ultimately each use of the weapon would only cost 1 ammo.

Increased Base Damage - It's a shotgun; it's supposed to quickly and efficiently put down weaker enemies, which should include things like Lancers, Crewmen, and Moas, but at present it just lightly brushes up against them. I should expect shotgun-levels of crowd control on a weapon considered apart of the Shotgun category, however, given its defensive nature, I'm not asking for a big buff in this regard; I expect that in the mid-realm of the game, it would kill light units in 2 or 3 passes, possibly only in 1 pass if the enemy is close enough and the correct damage types are used.

Stagger Effect - As a Defensive Trait, this weapon should stagger all enemies struck by the beam as it makes its convergence, possibly only staggering enemies at a certain distance away. As a defensive fight ender, this effect would not only slow the advance of an approaching crowd of baddies, but also prevent any escapes, as long as you have the firepower to then deal with the staggered opponents.

Secondary Fanning - Optionally, the controlled fanning function can be recycled into the secondary trigger, fanning back and forth quickly, but also draining ammo at an equally fast pace.

This would make for a faster, more efficient crowd-control weapon, designed to quickly put an end to any enemy offensive, and properly reward holding its ground. It wouldn't be able to out-pace the damage of similar power weapons, but it would be able to at least be comparable to them in effect. I very much want this weapon to be satisfactory, but right now, regardless of whether or not my suggestions are in accordance with Warframe's game design, the Convectrix is incredibly inefficient, and should see a balance pass in the future.

• 3 months later...

I'd be happy to get 3 beams instead of two. the third beam being dead center. each beam gets 1/3 of the power until the outer 2 converge with the middle one. also remove the having to wait for animation on release. this alone would make this weapon feasible...