Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nekros Nergal Halloween helmet - Now on steam!

Lucha

If you use Substance painter for texturing, you should add tiny/material details such as muscles on the jaw and future bone/flesh irregularity later as heigh while texturing, it's a lot easier to work with tiny details on complexe shapes like this.

So, basically try to have the smoother high poly model when sculpting and add material details later on texturing.

12 hours ago, PookieNumnums said:

some pointy bone protrusions here and there that look painful and infected might be nice. just sayin. its pretty great as is though. nice work.

Thank you! I thought about such elements, however I'm afraid I can run short of polygons, that's why I keep it more or less solid. I'm also thinking about metal clips and clamps that fix 'muscles' bits to produce this painful effect. Just need to place them properly :) I'm still not quite satisfied with the overall look.

I think it's looking better. However, I do agree with others are saying about the "crack" in the skullfan. It's too similar to Hellboy. However, the idea of a "skullfan" is a regularly occurring them in horror mythology, since that "fan" was designed to evoke a sense of aggression. What I'm thinking of is this:

Frilled7.jpg?ver=1391039366

This is a real creature. It's called a Chlamydosaurus, or "frilled-necked lizard". They open up their frills when they feel threatened. That's how I think you should approach this Nekros helmet. 

One thing Nekros has lacked is presence and personality. Yes, Nekros IS the embodiment of the "grim reaper" archetype in Warframe, but when compared with other warframes and their tennogen expressions, Nekros naturally seems a bit mute. 

However, making helmet designed like yours, with the "skullfan" designed more like a "frill" rather than solid bone (like in the Hellboy example) might be good idea. Or you can change the entire structure like the Summoner demons from Doom 2016

latest?cb=20160528032006

These demons also have that "skullfan" look, but in a different way. 

So basically, I love your idea, and just don't want to see it nuked because of its similarity to Hellboy. I think there's a lots of room for modifications concerning the "skullfan" itself, such as making it sleek back naturally but then open like frills when Nekros activates his powers are something. I know this would concern DE's animation department, but still, I think the idea of making the "skullfan" more "frillish" in look, texture, and function would be a safer choice. 

Keep up the good work! I hope to see your design in-game soon. 

Edited by UmbraCorporation

Guys, I'm not sure I will be able to submit helmet in time. I have problems with software. I've lost the project (which I've been working on the whole day) because of SP crashes. I'm very disappointed. I'm just gonna cry :sadcry:

Edited by Lucha

9 hours ago, Lucha said:

Guys, I'm not sure I will be able to submit helmet in time. I have problems with software. I've lost the project (which I've been working on the whole day) because of SP crashes. I'm very disappointed. I'm just gonna cry :sadcry:

That sucks but keep working, you still have time! Brute force this thing and youll be able to finish. Dont dwell or think about what happened and keep going forward. You got this!!!

15 hours ago, Nicococo said:

That sucks but keep working, you still have time! Brute force this thing and youll be able to finish. Dont dwell or think about what happened and keep going forward. You got this!!!

Thank you for support :community:

I managed to create basic textures but I still have to work on tints. And it's alreay August,31 for me. Looks like I'm a looser this time *deep sigh*

I will upload this head for the next round then. Who knows, maybe DE will find it suitable for "common" round.

Edited by Lucha

You can also to upload it even if it's not 100% done just for consideration on this round and hope DE give you some feedback and ask for polish.

This is not a thing any artist should do but this may be a last solution if you dont have the time to finish it but want to try your chance for this round.

Edited by lukinu_u

2 hours ago, Lucha said:

Thank you for support :community:

I managed to create basic textures but I still have to work on tints. And it's alreay August,31 for me. Looks like I'm a looser this time *deep sigh*

I will upload this head for the next round then. Who knows, maybe DE will find it suitable for "common" round.

Come on man, dont give up! You can still do what Lukinu_u said and you might be fine.

On 8/2/2017 at 8:52 AM, Lucha said:

Hi everyone! Haven't been here for a while, but now with Tennogen round 10 theme I think it's time to try my hand at helmets. This is an initial stage, I'm trying to define the overall shape so far. I hope I'll finish this one. Looking forward to some feedback (both positive and negative XD).

I6xDj9W.png

Small update. Starting to define details. I should think more about back side XD

Hk8hfAG.png

Another small update. Backside is almost shaped. Deciding what to do with the 'face' part.

dUrIWKd.png

Hey, do you see another face here? ;)

aVkChaS.png

Quick update: next level of detailing - more difficulties and hard decisions XD

tKdKrcS.png

Another quick update.

bB9Qoss.png

Another small update. I just need to polish everything. Wish me good luck!

9zW2NQO.png

Face almost done. Back side needs another couple of hours :c

V3hkRda.png

Okay, I'm done with the sculpt.

DovJBXT.png

I love it 

Guys, I uploaded it yesterday (though I've changed preview image today (but I think it's okay since I haven't touched files))!

Thanks for support! <3

I'm also very thankful to lukinu_u for help with Substance Painter (though it did not export tints as intended lol (I made it by exporting masks and glueing them into a working tintmask))! 

PAxgxpa.png

I will add more pics later.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1124983360&searchtext=

Edited by Lucha

On 26.08.2017 at 8:32 AM, UmbraCorporation said:

I think it's looking better. However, I do agree with others are saying about the "crack" in the skullfan. It's too similar to Hellboy. However, the idea of a "skullfan" is a regularly occurring them in horror mythology, since that "fan" was designed to evoke a sense of aggression. What I'm thinking of is this:

Frilled7.jpg?ver=1391039366

This is a real creature. It's called a Chlamydosaurus, or "frilled-necked lizard". They open up their frills when they feel threatened. That's how I think you should approach this Nekros helmet. 

One thing Nekros has lacked is presence and personality. Yes, Nekros IS the embodiment of the "grim reaper" archetype in Warframe, but when compared with other warframes and their tennogen expressions, Nekros naturally seems a bit mute. 

However, making helmet designed like yours, with the "skullfan" designed more like a "frill" rather than solid bone (like in the Hellboy example) might be good idea. Or you can change the entire structure like the Summoner demons from Doom 2016

latest?cb=20160528032006

These demons also have that "skullfan" look, but in a different way. 

So basically, I love your idea, and just don't want to see it nuked because of its similarity to Hellboy. I think there's a lots of room for modifications concerning the "skullfan" itself, such as making it sleek back naturally but then open like frills when Nekros activates his powers are something. I know this would concern DE's animation department, but still, I think the idea of making the "skullfan" more "frillish" in look, texture, and function would be a safer choice. 

Keep up the good work! I hope to see your design in-game soon. 

Okay, sorry for late response, but I thought that your reply is worth of a nice complex reply :)

First of all, thank you for bringing a light of knowledge here (metaphor)! ^_^ I know about such animals and they do look horrifying when they open up their frills or crowns (I was thinking about those cute parrots...well, cute untill they open their crown and shout like a banshee XD). I also had thoughts about animation you described, but I have almost zero knowledge in this area, so I decided to make these 6 parts which were meant to show the flow. I had that two-frill version (like a lizard) at initial stange, but I did not like the look. Perhaps, it is my mistake, but it's my decision, so I am responsible for any consequencies :) This DOOM design looks fantastic by the way. I wish I could do some more variants at intial stages, including "fan" rotation. However, I am not sure I would not have got "this is ripped from doom" comments in this case XD

All in all, thank you for your feedback! I hope you like the finished versions.