Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nothing on the Roombas of doom?

Jatgeirr

So I haven't seen any posts on this particular enemy and thought there needed to be a conversation on them. Which evil mastermind at Digital Extremes decided to weaponize Roombas in the form of the Grinder enemy. Those little devils are a pain to see and perfectly silent until they are right on your face, sawing it off.

Give it to the devs, I love seeing new enemies in the game and they made a really nice different enemy but this Grineer solution to spaceship and asteroid base sanitation is downright demonic, especially for soloist or even groups with poor weapon / warframe choices.

It seems like the most obvious change to make would be to make these killer roombas a little louder as I have been strolling down a corridor and suddenly staggered before hearing the tiny mechanical death bot preparing to make another leap at my jugular. While on its own its easy enough to hit after that innitial attack in a group these beasts become a major nuisance as they often run behind other enemies and open you up for some serious punishment. Furthermore anyone running without full auto weapons or a shotgun is going to have quite a problem with these guys in large battles and their deadliness multiplies significantly the more of them you face.

When a space ninja's worst nightmare isn't the large man with a rocket launcher, nor the teleporting shock proder, nor even the impending rush of alien zombies he's just been warned about, but the fleet of iRobot corporation's newest space age vacuuming device that have just pounced and are now circling his body like 5 hungry vultures circling a dying man, there might be a bit of an issue.

Any comments? thoughts? stories of roomba related deaths? post below.

Edited by Achaemenes

Making them louder when they roll around would make sense, with the noise of grinding metal becoming louder and louder for their poor unfortunate target as the rolling piece of stagger-doom leaps for the poor Tenno's left eye. Kinda like the Jaws theme, but promising a much more traumatized future :D

Haven't died because of them quite yet. If you asked if anyone has run away from them crying for mommy, then yes, guilty as charged. Though from afar they seem to just charge straight for their intended target, so a sniper shot did the trick most of the time.

I've died to these annoying little robots twice the first time I encountered them due to being stunlocked and a truckload of Grineer being in the same room on top of that. Though I haven't died to them since, I have yet to find an effective way to deal with them. You're saying full-auto weaponry and shotguns are ineffective, while I've had the same problem with my Latron/Bolto loadout. So it would seem there is no effective counter to them apart from some ultimates like Overload and Crush. Running away will only work if there aren't a lot of Grineer around.

The sound they make isn't a big deal for me since I'm wearing headphones 99% of the time and I can hear them coming quite nicely. Though I can see why it would be a problem for others.

The problem I have with them is the size of the groups they spawn in and not being able to hit them if there are Grineer in the area, since I won't be able to kite them effectively. My Infested strategy seems to counter them quite nicely. Which is getting on top of a container/crate and shooting whatever remains. But this only works when there aren't any Grineer around, plus the Grineer areas seem to have a lack of things to climb on.

I imagine they're less of a problem in co-op play, but they're a bit of a problem for someone that exclusively plays solo.

I've died to these annoying little robots twice the first time I encountered them due to being stunlocked and a truckload of Grineer being in the same room on top of that. Though I haven't died to them since, I have yet to find an effective way to deal with them. You're saying full-auto weaponry and shotguns are ineffective, while I've had the same problem with my Latron/Bolto loadout. So it would seem there is no effective counter to them apart from some ultimates like Overload and Crush. Running away will only work if there aren't a lot of Grineer around.

The sound they make isn't a big deal for me since I'm wearing headphones 99% of the time and I can hear them coming quite nicely. Though I can see why it would be a problem for others.

The problem I have with them is the size of the groups they spawn in and not being able to hit them if there are Grineer in the area, since I won't be able to kite them effectively. My Infested strategy seems to counter them quite nicely. Which is getting on top of a container/crate and shooting whatever remains. But this only works when there aren't any Grineer around, plus the Grineer areas seem to have a lack of things to climb on.

I imagine they're less of a problem in co-op play, but they're a bit of a problem for someone that exclusively plays solo.

Firstly you misread a small part

...You're saying full-auto weaponry and shotguns are ineffective...

I said Full-auto and shotguns are the best way. Weapons like the bolto and Latron are where the problem come in, since accuratly shooting them at close range is pretty tough without resorting to spray 'n' pray or cone damage.

I use headphones too, and my sound issue may be with the fact that I'm on skype with my friends in co-op but being in a team certainly dosen't help with these things as your often times too busy laughing as people are taken down by these guys or your vision is obscured by your friends as your trying to kill the things. I think the biggest issue is sound and possibly speed as your only good bet to take them out is to get them when they are approaching from far away

Firstly you misread a small part

I said Full-auto and shotguns are the best way. Weapons like the bolto and Latron are where the problem come in, since accuratly shooting them at close range is pretty tough without resorting to spray 'n' pray or cone damage.

I use headphones too, and my sound issue may be with the fact that I'm on skype with my friends in co-op but being in a team certainly dosen't help with these things as your often times too busy laughing as people are taken down by these guys or your vision is obscured by your friends as your trying to kill the things. I think the biggest issue is sound and possibly speed as your only good bet to take them out is to get them when they are approaching from far away

Whoops, I did indeed misread that. My bad. Good to know that there IS in fact an effective strategy against them then :P

I guess it's a problem that you're pretty much being pigeonholed into using certain weapon loadouts for Grineer missions. As well as what I mentioned about the size of the groups they spawn in. It's also interesting that being in a team doesn't change the fact that they're giant butts.

Oh well, at least they're like this in beta and not full release. Hope they change them to be more interesting.

On a unrelated note: I was hoping to buy myself a Roomba some day. Not sure I want to now :P

Earlier today, I saw a Rhino get absolutely swarmed by like six grinders. Stunlocked the poor sod in a corner and just torn through him like his shields and armor were toilet paper. Then they all turned to another teammate (fragile little Nyx) and chased her benny-hill style out of the room.

Terrifying.

Then they all turned to another teammate (fragile little Nyx) and chased her benny-hill style out of the room.
Ha!

I was with a group earlier, and we all decided jump melees would somehow work. It's somewhat effective if you time it right, but the damn things can stun you mid-jump.

The problem with them is i think a seperate issue of melee detection not doing so good against things on the floor. Its the same for those crawler infested and containers that are in the ground for some reason. Fix that and i bet these would become pushovers.