The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Making High Level Melee Viable

Fate_6

I know that I (and many other players) would love to run up to a level 100 Heavy that has been CC'd in some way and just beat the living crap out of them. Problem is, for some reason our pair of daggers or giant scythe does less damage than a  throwing knife.

Melee should be the highest damage possible in the game, as it has the greatest risk (MAYBE bows/snipers/rockets should do as much). The choice should be to stay safe and shoot enemies, or run up and risk being downed to basically slaughter them.

Things melee needs to see:

-much higher base damage modifier - currently its capped at a pretty low value relative to rifles and pistols

-doublestrike mod (multishot for melee)

-better elemental mods

-better crit chance mod (only 60% increase? I feel like we're being trolled)

-better crit damage mod (it's not terrible but it's still pretty low compared to rifles)

Before someone comes and says "high level melee doesn't work", obviously it doesn't which is why we need improvements to the mods. There are frames that can melee. Ash/Loki have stealth, and Trinity can just plain go godmode with Link.

Edited by Fate_6

I don't agree. Melee attacks may not be as damaging as bullets, but they have unique applications. I don't care what level the enemy is if I can send him flying to the ground and thus stun for a few seconds or put an elemental status with a short dagger stab. That's the direction melee should be moving in: not another weapon type, but a unique tool devastating in the hands of wise Tenno. 

For example, give us a mod that will make enemy take additional damage from all sources for a couple of seconds after melee hit. Or crippling mod that will permanently slow down enemies after heavy melee. Things like that would be cool.

Edited by Guiltytwo

I use melee to fairly good effect in high level matches. 8k+ red crits with a Reaper Prime are fairly impressive.

Though I do agree that melee needs a buff for high level play, considering the risk it puts you at, especially when enemies become capable of instakilling you.

maybe give all melee weapons a small chance to one shot, increased by pressure point, to represent the chance of hitting something vital.

I don't agree. Melee attacks may not be as damaging as bullets, but they have unique applications. I don't care what level the enemy is if I can send him flying to the ground and thus stun for a few seconds or put an elemental status with a short dagger stab. That's the direction melee should be moving in: not another weapon type, but a unique tool devastating in the hands of wise Tenno. 

For example, give us a mod that will make enemy take additional damage from all sources for a couple of seconds after melee hit. Or crippling mod that will permanently slow down enemies after heavy melee. Things like that would be cool.

I don't want it to be just utility. We can do that now with knockdowns/staggers. We really need the mods to give us damage equal to the risk we're taking. A dude throwing a Kunai should not outdamage a dude stabbing someone with Fang.

Melee was nice before U9. I could melee only with my loki even in tier 3 void with my dual heat swords aslong as I had atleast 1 teammate. Maxed out killing blow fury and reflex coil with elemental mods.Invis and decoy spam 13k out of my 18k kills are with my dual heat swords. U9 ramping up the health and damage tons just made my entire build useless and I've pretty much quit the game.

Edited by Wanjibon

I will support your post with the Glaive, and Kestral... Both are long range melee weapons. Infact Kestral is far more useful in that it knocks down an enemy when thrown and then you can shoot them while they are down.

Melee was nice before U9. I could melee only with my loki even in tier 3 void with my dual heat swords aslong as I had atleast 1 teammate. Maxed out killing blow fury and reflex coil with elemental mods.Invis and decoy spam 13k out of my 18k kills are with my dual heat swords. U9 ramping up the health and damage tons just made my entire build useless and I've pretty much quit the game.

u should have expected this before U9 came when everyone was yelling for a harder game and that what we sort of gotten