Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

PBR Upgrades: The Mega List

I don't know about you, but I HATE the PBR on the older weapons. They look like they're made out of rubber or latex and the metallic parts on them look like plastic. Here's a list (by faction) of every weapon that needs their appearance updated.

Disclaimer: I obviously know they have much more important things to take care of, but I'll leave this here regardless. I also don't know anything about programming, coding or whatever it is they use for PBR work. That being said, let's go.

1. Tenno: Ah the Tenno... they have some of the cooler designs when it comes to weapons. Sleek, slender and predatory. I feel this is the faction where metallics really do matter. Some older Tenno weapons got some love design-wise (Braton, Skana, Bo, Paris, Lato, Burston) and they're awesome. A few of them, however, need a little touching-up.

A. Boar & Strun: Despite being Tenno, these two weapons almost have the same, bland appearance. They're basically trash cans with gunpowder in them. I suggest giving them new, more elaborate models. 

B. Tiberon: One of my favorites also has the worst PBR among Tenno weapons. The primary lacks any real metallic details, the secondary has almost unnoticeable metallic bits on the blades (pray for Tiberon Prime with alt-fire being you swipe the blades at foes). The tertiary and accent tones are by far the worst of the bunch, the colors look off and you're better off going full black there.

C. Attica: Beautiful crossbow. A simple touch up on its textures and giving the secondary color the metallic treatment should make it stunning.

D. Magnus/AkMagnus: EXTREMELY plain and plastic looking. My BB gun's scarier than this. Basically zero details on its default form. I go with the Hivelight skin to cover it up. The weapon needs more details. It's too plain as is

E. AkZani: Mirage's secondary weapon of choice has an awesome design... that is, unfortunately, thwarted by the whole rubber PBR. Especially consider giving the accent tone a larger presence. It only affects the trigger

F. Pyrana: This monstrous secondary needs slightly better wooden textures for the secondary and its primary should be primarily (hehe) metallic

G. Bronco/AkBronco: The Primes look great. The regular ones, not so much. Basic PBR upgrades should do the trick

H. Lex/AkLex: Rubber problem that most vintage weapons suffer. Metal work would be nice

I. Anku: Neat scythe, too small (as all other scythes make them larger, pleaaase). Let the accent tone dictate the color of the edge of the blades, whilst giving them a more metallic look.

J. Ceramic Sword/Ceramic Dagger: Complete upgrade. They're so plain and sooooo old omg 

K. Scindo/Dual Zoren: Make the edges of the blade tintable and metallic

L. Glaive and skins: Primary tone dictates pretty much the whole weapon. Secondary, tertiary, accent and energy have little-to-no presence. Metallic required

M. Kestrel: Basic texture upgrade (also make it not suck)

N. Kronen: My favorite tonfas also have plastic blades. UNACCEPTABLE

O. Ninkondi: Switch primary with tertiary. This should fix inconsistencies when pressing the "Copy Warframe Colors" option. Make the now tertiary metallic

P. Redeemer: This guy right here needs its appearance redeemed. It looks too roughed up for a Tenno weapon. Reminds me of the Grineer. No, no.

Q. Every other Tenno weapon that looks like rubber.

------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Grineer: These disgusting mongrels have powerful weapons in their arsenal. However, a lot of them are ugly and, to add insult to injury, have horrible PBR.

A. Hek/Vaykor Hek: Straight of the bat we have our powerful crayon shotgun (Vaykor) and it's glossy brother (Hek). Give the Hek proper metallic textures on its accent tone (which dictate the colors of the barrel plus some other bits). And PLEASE make the Vaykor Hek not look like a lethal Crayon. Seriously. OMG.

B. Grinlok: Fortunately, the Grinlok has been blessed with the beautiful, yet horrendously default colors of the Harkonar Skin which provides awesome metallics (although all Harkonar weapons look weird with white). But for players that can't afford it, give the regular one a touch up.

C. Miter: Love the weapon (have a God roll for it :p). The primary doesn't take colors very well. When I use white, at best, I get a greyish color. Also make accent metallic (also affects the blades)

D.Vulkar/Hind/Grakata(Twin)/Kohmak(Twin)/Stug/Kraken/Drakgoon/Marelok/Viper(Twin)/Gremlins: Horrible. Definite upgrade. The skins (except the Marelok one) are also on the same boat. They look like rubber mixed with plastic, low IQ and hatred

E. Ripkas: Give the chainsaw blades proper metallic textures. Make them less abominable to the eye

F. Furax: Rubbery texture needs to go

3. Corpus: Weapon-wise, I LOVE the Corpus. It's a shame continuous weapons aren't in the best of places, but regardless, they're super cool. 

A. Dera(with skins): Add proper metallics and eliminate the plastic feel

B. Glaxion: Make primary and accent have different types of metallic textures

C. Lank: The Railgun DEMANDS a completely new model with a more badass sound. Ever used the Rail gun from Metal Gear Solid 4? That. Was. Epic.

D. Opticor: Aside from the primary and accent, you can't really customize the Opticore. Change that and make the primary less shiny

E. Cycron: Remove it from the game. Lmao, joke. It's beautiful. Buff that reaload DE!

F. Detron: Rubbery looking, like many weapons on this list

G. Spectra & Flux Rifle: Among the oldest. Basically counterparts to each other. Equally lacking in performance and in looks. Update these obsolete weapons

H. Serro: Awesome polearm. Add more energy presence in the model. Upgrade textures

4. Infested: Among the most interesting weapons in our arsenal. The biological and often unpredictable properties of the Infestation has bestowed upon us a myriad of mechanically unique weapons. A lot of them, unfortunately, are UH-GUH-LEE. 

*quick disclaimer: The Hema's PBR is gorgeous. Give the designer a DNA Stabilizer*

A. Phage: Our alien phallus looks like a rubber alien phalus. Make it look more organic

B. Synapse: I feel as if the Synapse, being a weapon that uses electricity, could actually use more life into the model. Make it twitch and squirm perpetually and remove the rubber coat

C. Torid: Among my favorites of the Infested weapons. Absolutely hideous. Rubber and latex had a baby here

D. Tysis: Give it life. Make the weapon feel as if it actually spat the darts out. Remove rubber texture

E. Cerata: The edges of the blades are not tintable. Consider giving the accent tone the Nidus treatment. In which the energy is visible through its veins

F. Mire: Bacon sword. Sadly, you can't eat it. Make the edge bonier, the sword fleshier and, for the love of God, buff the poor thing. Give it a unique perk.

G. Scoliac: CoolwhHhip. Seriously, it's nice. Remove rubber texture. Add boniness to the blade and change the damage to Slash and Viral

H. Djinn: Awful PBR, OMG. Totally rubber. Thank God for the gorgeous Gazal Skin

5. Miscellaneous

A. Dread/Hate/Despair: They all need new textures. Too outdated

B.Gammacor(Synoid/Heliocor(Synoid)/Simulor(Synoid): Regardless of the color, for some reason, there's a purple hue in the weapon. 

That's all I got for now. Feel free to comment your thoughts and any weapon you think needs a makeover. Thank you :]

Edited by (PS4)LoisGordils

The reason a lot of those look bad is because they have not (yet) been remodeled with PBR textures. That plastic look is just a carry over from before PBR tech was implemented. DE has to go back and, to my knowledge, retexture the models from scratch (which is why there are so many weapons that still have not been updated).  

Oh, and a bunch of these weapons have had the PBR update though,and some were released with it (Opticor, really?). 

22 minutes ago, DrBorris said:

The reason a lot of those look bad is because they have not (yet) been remodeled with PBR textures. That plastic look is just a carry over from before PBR tech was implemented. DE has to go back and, to my knowledge, retexture the models from scratch (which is why there are so many weapons that still have not been updated).  

Oh, and a bunch of these weapons have had the PBR update though,and some were released with it (Opticor, really?). 

Yes, Opticore. You can't really customize it.

All the weapons mentioned here are lacking in looks