Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Update 21.4.0] Hydroid Revisited Feedback

[DE]Danielle

Hydroid Revisited

Please use this thread to give us your feedback on Hydroid Revisited. We will be closely monitoring your practical feedback - feel free to share videos and discussions after playing with Hydroid's revamped abilities. Non-constructive feedback, dev-bashing, and any other content that violates the Guidelines will be removed.

insXTUT.jpg

The sea has a revamped fear creeping in the depth, and his name is Hydroid.

With Hydroid Prime emerging to the surface soon, the team took another glance at Hydroids power and what we could do in order to achieve ability synergy. Hydroid now brings barrages, puddles, and tentacles into a deadly oceanic horror. 

General Hydroid Changes

• Hydroid’s base Shield and Armor has received a buff! 
  • Shield is now 375 from 345. 
  • Armor is now 200 from 65.

Tempest Barrage:

• Tempest Barrage can be cast while in Undertow and will now hit enemies submerged in Undertow.
  • Tempest Barrage can now be charged for longer Duration (more explosions) and more Damage for more Energy.

Tidal Surge:

• Tidal Surge can be used to move around without canceling Undertow (note that Tidal Surge speed - and hence distance - is halved when used in Undertow).
  • Tidal Surge will now pull enemies along for the ride.
  • Tidal Surge can be interrupted at any point by casting Undertow to go into your puddle, sinking enemies being pulled along.

Undertow:

• Hydroid can pull enemies into Undertow by aiming and clicking on them.
  • Undertow can be cast while in air.
  • Jump and roll will break Hydroid out of Undertow.
  • Hydroid can now move while in Undertow at the expense of Energy.
  • Submerged enemies in Undertow receive Damage Per Second, increasing every second they are submerged.
  • Enemies that die will be released from Undertow instead of dragging their dead bodies along for the ride.

Tentacle Swarm:

• Hold onto your ships, Tentacle Swarm has received a new look straight from the depths of the sea! Can you summon the Kraken?
  • Tentacle Swarm can be charged to get more tentacles over a larger area for more Energy.
  • Hydroid tentacles will now seek out nearby enemies and attempt to slam on top of them rather than just always flailing randomly and hoping they hit something.
  • Tentacle Swarm will protrude from Hydroid’s Undertow if active when cast.

Hydroid Changes based on feedback since U21.4.0:

• Improved the ‘charge up’ indicator for Hydroid’s abilities.
  • Improved the targeting of Hydroid’s Tempest Barrage liquid fury. 
  • Improved the cast FX detail on the Kraken spawned from Hydroid’s Tentacle Swarm.
  • Update 21.5.0: As mentioned in Hotfix 21.4.2 on Friday, we continued reading feedback and testing Hydroid changes up until todays Update. 1 week into Hydroid Revisited and more than a handful of changes from constructive feedback have been implemented! 

The changes below cover a number of ideas about making Hydroid's simply feel better to use, particularly for teams. In the scheme of our 33 current Warframes, Hydroids role is to be a fun and active way to use the power of water and swashbuckling themes to take on enemies. 
    • Hydroid has received the PBR treatment! 
    • Hydroid’s base Energy has been increased from 150 to 188.
    • Tempest Barrage now has a charging sound to indicate when the ability is being charged.
    • Allies can shoot their weapons into Hydroid's Undertow to transfer half of their damage and distribute it among all enemies in the puddle.
    • Undertow damage per second is now a % of the target's max Health.
    • Undertow damage per second now scales with the amount of enemies in the pool - more submerged enemies, more damage! 
    • Undertow now deals Impact damage towards submerged enemies.
    • Tentacle Swarm’s tentacles now move at a slower rate when enemies are captured in their grasp to improve issues with hard to shoot flailing enemies.
    • Improved Tentacle Swarm’s cast sound to sound more aquatic and powerful when charging up.
    • Improved Tentacle Swarm when cast on walls/odd surfaces.
    • Improved the performance of Tentacle Swarm.
    • Sentinel abilities are now disabled while in Undertow. This fixes vacuumed items blocking your view and you from pulling in enemies.
Edited by [DE]Danielle
Added Hydroid changes since U21.5.0

This is amazing! Thank you Devs! He's gotten so much more tankier which would feel great for farming long duration survivals with his 4th augment. Its also really cool how we can move while using undertow, now I can suck all the enemies up like an enemy vacuum.

Edited by Auranix

Undertow: Hydroid can now move while in Undertow at the expense of Energy. 

Hope you ment to say, at the reduced cost of energy?

Tentacle Swarm: Tentacle Swarm can be charged to get more tentacles over a larger area for more Energy

Aw really? more at a bigger area? I need more at a smaller area to make use of those lovely choke points. 

And also why make everything so bloody energy expensive? You guys think a trinity or harrow is standard in every mission? Does a spector trinity or harrow also replenish your energy? Do I really have to trow down energy pads every freaking minute to be a little if not tiny bit effective?

And why not undo his 4th nerf? yes I call it a bloody nerf, ammo and credits drop plenty enough, mods and energy orbs do not....

3 hours ago, Defion said:

Hope you ment to say, at the reduced cost of energy?

Tentacle Swarm: Tentacle Swarm can be charged to get more tentacles over a larger area for more Energy

Aw really? more at a bigger area? I need more at a smaller area to make use of those lovely choke points. 

And also why make everything so bloody energy expensive? You guys think a trinity or harrow is standard in every mission? Does a spector trinity or harrow also replenish your energy? Do I really have to trow down energy pads every freaking minute to be a little if not tiny bit effective?

And why not undo his 4th nerf? yes I call it a bloody nerf, ammo and credits drop plenty enough, mods and energy orbs do not....

upvoted

So a few questions:        

1. Why is the passive the same? The passive does nothing.

2. Will there be a new video?  

Do you guys think, that AFK puddle will still be here?

Also, I have to admit, disappointed that the fish does not move around and attack, just the *sighs* "Floppy tentacles", I'm really not a fan of this Hentai stuff.

I'll post a full feedback later 

Edited by Circle_of_Psi

Update evaluation:

Con: Hydroid, now with even more Tentacle on your Tentacle, so you can Tentacle while Tentacle your Tentacle with even more Tentacle (wet juice sold seperatedly)

Proc: More Energy (possibly leading to energy crisis) ?

Change his passive or add Pilfering Swarm to his passive.

Also, the Kraken head is pointless unless he gobbles up enemies too. Also, the energy color of the tentacles is wonky.

EDIT: The tentacles spawn on top of one another. Nothing was improved for this Ult.

He needs more base energy now too....in theory. Only limited testing so far.

Edited by Lanieu

What is the point of having both Tidal Surge and Undertow? It seems like Undertow is the same as Tidal Surge, now that you can move while in puddle form. The mobility bonus of Tidal Surge could easily just be rolled into Undertow, so that the Jump key would initiate a "surge" in a given direction, at a cost of energy.

I'd like for Tidal Surge to just be rolled into Undertow and replaced with a new skill. It would admittedly be more work with having to create a new skill and changing the existing Augment Mod, but I think it would be better for the frame overall.

And i was hyped for this :facepalm:

This is not a rework. This is just a buff.

They buffed a puddle instead of removing that ability and replacing it with something good, like Exalted Anchor on huge chain or something like that.

They just choose a quick, lazy way to buff hydroid with tweaked numbers, rushed "rework" to get that prime out and more moniez off PA.

Good job DE :clap: Maybe if they would play their own game they would know what the hydroid issue is. but guess what.

First impressions... glad I don't have a toaster because water and particles :)

Most of the changes seem fine but 4 imo is a little underwhelming damage wise, kind of feel it could do with some sort of scaling or something where it gets stronger.  Also not seeing any real accuracy improvements from the abilities but

The charging of the abilities is a nice feature but it's not the easiest thing to see how much they've been charged. 

Energy allowance seems a bit low considering the way his abilities work. 

edit: I do like the idea of merging tidal surge and undertow into one ability because when you think about it they do kind of feel like one ability split over 2 buttons.  In regards to something else as the replacement, the idea of an anchor as a flail (or for ease of animations a "blade whip") being a pretty cool option. 

Edited by LSG501

You should be able to undertow enemy while you are moving with tidal surge or atleast for the very first tidal surge.

actually you should be able to drag anything you have in undertow even when you are moving.

Edited by Wevi

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Corroding_Barrage doesn't proc on ennemies submerged inside the undertow

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Natural_Talent doesn't improve the charge time of his 1 and his 4 (Work as intended?), doesn't improve the cast speed on his 4

If you truly want to help Hydroid, make his tentacles seeks their prey and don't flailing randomly as you say. 

Why put a way to increase the range of the tentacles if they will just stay at the same point? It's pointless

The passive is still disappointing

Tempest barrage keep his very flaw: The RNG based projectiles

Tidal surge still struggle with the duration and the range which limit Hydroid's movepool.

Undertow is still a troll ability which slow our ability to kill ennemies 

Same for the 4.

This rework is more an Qol changes than a true rework. 

Edited by Chimiasai

not gonna lie my first impressions are not that great here. Just my 2 cents on what i'm seeing right now, will go into game and see how i feel about him here soon.

I would have preferred a bigger health pool than shield pool. I always felt like he should be a brawler caster given the passive and while i'm glad he has more armor a bigger health pool would help accomplish that.

Theres a lot and i mean a lot of, spend more energy to do more, in this kit and I feel like if you are going to do that you need some method of self energy regen/restore to help him out. Maybe internal testing found a higher efficiency build worked well and maybe I will find that out myself but just looking at it i'm a bit worried about his energy economy if he is solo or not with a harrow/trin.

I also personally wish he had a self heal on his undertow without the need for the augment, it would feel nice for the brawler caster playstyle. I was personally thinking if he had a self heal without the augment the augment could then apply that heal to allies, maybe slightly increase the range, and give him and allies buffs, or debuff enemies. I think it could be a cool way of doing things and while i've already kinda thrown the augment in because i value the self heal I would definitely use it to help allies and hurt enemies if i could.

The tentacle swarm stuff looks cool but i'm hoping the ratio of extra range to extra tentacles favors tentacles more than range. I like the idea of charging my swarm to spawn more tentacles but I'm not too keen of expanding the range into oblivion else i risk spawning less tentacles per square mete which will feel like i'm not spawning more tentacles. I think I would cause charging to increase tentacles and damage and just let range be the range.

I'll give my feedback on something related to hydroid and that is his augment called 'Pilfering Swarm' that SHOULD be fixed because it misleads players trying to make a proper build for it.

Back in the day pilfering swarm did what it said but since the creep of enemy levels would counter even the highest dmg builds it made it practically useless against anything above mid-level tier, this changed for the better with Hotfix 17.0.4.

Current description of pilfering swarm reads as follows :

Tentacle swarm augment: Enemies killed by tentacles have a 100% chance at additional drops.- The description is wrong and misleading, since in current effect the tentacles only have to touch an enemy to give that effect, while the enemies can be killed in other ways.

Please fix this so there is both a greater understanding between fellow tenno users when it comes to sharing builds (less silly arguments that degenerate) as well as allowing new users of this wonderful reworked frame to come into fruition when built with the purpose to farm the extra resources. My proposed fix is to change the description , not what the augment currently does as that would invalidate it once again.

Thank you for your time and we hope you keep up the good job DE

Edited by Khratos26
underlining