Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Update 21.4.0] Hydroid Revisited Feedback

[DE]Danielle

What if tentacle swarm worked like nidus' virulence? The fungal growth ability?

Virulence steals energy from each enemy it strikes

So allow the tentacles to do something like this and maybe even have little crab minions scurrying around.

Tidal surge and undertow would be the same ability 

Tempest barrage would be the second ability

And a water canon for his one. 

?

And i vote for a small tidal surge on every ground slam with the chance of the tentacle, not only the tentacle.

Edited by (PS4)WINDMILEYNO
Edit

2 hours ago, Buddhakingpen said:

I'm a hardcore hydroid enthusiast, and while it does have very legitimate usage as a way to maintain stealth damage multipliers it certainly isnt as attractive a move as tempest barrage. But its still has its uses, depending on what kind of cc you prefer. . Think of it like vaubans bastille vs vortex

I dont feel hydroid needs any more large buffs than he has honesty, as he's a frame with 4 cc moves as it is, armor shredding, tons of melee damage potential, and a scaling damage invincibility move.

The only changes i can see being balanced here is 3, with 5 suffering from the same redundancy thats being complained about. The rest being either overpowered or useless. 

I'm aware of Tentacle Swarm's interaction with Stealth Multipliers, but  I tend to avoid talking about it. Most of the time, Stealth Multipliers are unreliable, reliable but gimmicky, or hilariously overpowered. DE also has a habit of changing them, often without any sort of announcement, whether they mean to or not.

That aside, though, I think Bastille versus Vortex isn't the best comparison. Whilst those two abilities are somewhat redundant, (and should honestly also be looked at as a result) they still are far more different in their usage than Tempest Barrage and Tentacle Swarm.

I do not feel as though Hydroid needs buffs, either. But he does need some differentiation between his first and his fourth abilities, and if that means he gets a small buff, I am totally on board.

16 minutes ago, (PS4)WINDMILEYNO said:

What if tentacle swarm worked like nidus' virulence? The fungal growth ability?

Virulence steals energy from each enemy it strikes

So allow the tentacles to do something like this and maybe even have little crab minions scurrying around.

Tidal surge and undertow would be the same ability 

Tempest barrage would be the second ability

And a water canon for his one. 

?

And i vote for a small tidal surge on every ground slam with the chance of the tentacle, not only the tentacle.

Hydroid has already been reworked, and DE is not going to radically change his powers. I do not want them to radically change his powers, and I doubt the old school Hydroid fans do, either.

I just want Hydroid's Tentacle Swarm to function in some role that is not (better) accomplished by Tempest Barrage, which is what this thread is about.

1 hour ago, YagoXiten said:

Hydroid has already been reworked, and DE is not going to radically change his powers. I do not want them to radically change his powers, and I doubt the old school Hydroid fans do, either.

I just want Hydroid's Tentacle Swarm to function in some role that is not (better) accomplished by Tempest Barrage, which is what this thread is about.

I like the rework, yeah, but there are things about it people dont like. My playstyle finds me using tentacle swarm and tempest barrage together constantly, hydroid is rather squishy, but i like taking that risk and just jump into the puddle to get enemies on the ground for finishers. I dont see the similarity as an issue. In fact, they are hardly similar in function, aside from randomness. And the randomness is great for how i play. My suggestion is like that because tentacle swarm can be changed a little, sure, but why only change something you see as a problem and not something someone else highlighted as a problem? And someone else brought up to me that they think the puddle is boring and 2 and 3 should be the same. Not me personally, i like the rework. Just thinking of everyone else.

2 hours ago, YagoXiten said:

That aside, though, I think Bastille versus Vortex isn't the best comparison. Whilst those two abilities are somewhat redundant, (and should honestly also be looked at as a result) they still are far more different in their usage than Tempest Barrage and Tentacle Swarm.

I think this is just a personal bias against the playstyle of cc frames?  I mean, i get it, they are all essentially area denial, duration based cc, but to me, they all serve a different purpose. 

Tempest barrage, i pretty much just spam on cast cooldown. Tentacle swarm, I use on timer cooldown., either spread out just to slow down incoming waves, or i bunch them together to lock down an area that i'm not constantly barraging. 

Basically, i use tempest barrage for engage and for safety, and tentacle swarm to stall Now you CAN use tempest barrage to stall, but it being locked at 10 meters with 1/4 of the duration makes it less effective at indirectly stalling enemies. Like you cant just passively cast tempest barrage while focusing on a group in front of you, and cc enemies all around you. You can with tentacle swarm. 

15 minutes ago, Buddhakingpen said:

I think this is just a personal bias against the playstyle of cc frames?  I mean, i get it, they are all essentially area denial, duration based cc, but to me, they all serve a different purpose. 

Tempest barrage, i pretty much just spam on cast cooldown. Tentacle swarm, I use on timer cooldown., either spread out just to slow down incoming waves, or i bunch them together to lock down an area that i'm not constantly barraging. 

Basically, i use tempest barrage for engage and for safety, and tentacle swarm to stall Now you CAN use tempest barrage to stall, but it being locked at 10 meters with 1/4 of the duration makes it less effective at indirectly stalling enemies. Like you cant just passively cast tempest barrage while focusing on a group in front of you, and cc enemies all around you. You can with tentacle swarm. 

The range of Tempest Barrage is misleading.

Four times each second, Tempest Barrage chooses a random point within 10m of the targeted location and causes an explosion that deals damage and knocks down all enemies within 5m.

If a missile were to land directly at the cast point of Tempest Barrage, it would not stun every enemy in the 10m area. With maximum range, however, a missile that were to land directly at the cast point of Tempest Barrage would damage and knock down all enemies within 12.5m, which is actually an area larger than the initial 10m targeting range.

As a result, Tempest Barrage has the ability to stun anything within a ~14 to ~25m Radius of your cast location, with Power Range affecting not just the total area it can affect, but also the reliability with which it does so.

Yes, this is a smaller area than a maximized Power Range Tentacle Swarm cast with a full charge, and it does not last as long. But with that said, unlike Tentacle Swarm, Tempest Barrage costs less Energy, does not have a target cap,  does not make it as difficult to hit affected targets, can be recast an unlimited number of times, does not interrupt your animations, can damage enemies inside of Undertow, and is less dependent upon enemy spawn patterns and terrain to retain its efficacy over its full duration.

Unless you have a desperate need to target random enemies that are out of line of sight and are far beyond Tempest Barrage's effective radius, anything you can do with Tentacle Swarm you can do by casting Tempest Barrage.

The only real practical benefit Tentacle Swarm has that Tempest Barrage does not is that it lasts longer, but since half of its duration ends up wasted if enemies change their spawn patterns, this is solved by merely turning around to hit 1 twice as often as you would to hit 4.

All this isn't to say that Tentacle Swarm is unusable. It's every bit as usable as Well of Life is on Trinity. It does do things. It just does what it does almost strictly worse than another ability that the same frame has easier access to.

This is NOT the same as Bastille / Vortex, because whilst those two abilities do overlap in that they are both area denial abilities, Bastille has substantially more range, is not as reliable due to its target cap, allows Vauban and his squad to easily score headshots, and Vortex is reliable, makes it difficult if not impossible to score headshots, forcibly relocates enemies, and combos with things such as the Gas status condition or the Pox Secondary Weapon in a way that Bastille does not. For the enemies it may not make much of a difference, but for the player, the choice behind pressing 3 or 4 is often huge. It often is moot as to which one is chosen, but there are also plenty of circumstances where there is an actual mechanical reason to choose one over the other.

Don't get me wrong. I use Tentacle Swarm. But every time I do, I'm aware that the only reason I have to do so is because I want to, and not because it actually does something significant that Tempest Barrage could not.

On 21.8.2017 at 6:10 PM, HerpDerpy said:

And why does everyone think CC frames should just be "press one button to control the entire map"

On 21.8.2017 at 7:14 PM, HerpDerpy said:

you can amass entire armies into your puddle and kill every single one with the press of a button.

The people in this thread can argument against themselves. We dont need to control the entire map, but we should be able to reliably control the area we are pointing at. BTW there is this one well designed frame that controls the entire map with one press of a button, hes called loki.

Also being able to stay invincible in your puddle and instantly kill everything you want is boring and bad design. They were too lazy to actually change puddle into a good ability. Everyone hated it, so DE just said "what if it kills every enemy without any effort hm?". He might be effective now, but hes still boring and has a bad designed kit. Even you dont believe me in saying it was lazy, then how does hydroid pull enemies into his puddle? Telekinesis? They didnt even give it a tebtacle or something that drags them in.

On 21.8.2017 at 6:54 PM, polarity said:

Would you like god-mode on all the other frames while we're at it?  Because that's essentially what you're asking for: The ability to completely stop all enemies from doing damage, so that you don't need anything that resembles skill to play the game.

As HerpDerpy said above, he sits in a puddle invincibly and one shots enemies. Do you think this needs skill to do? Or that its not already "god-mode"?

On 22.8.2017 at 2:08 PM, polarity said:
  • WoW's CC breaks on damage (or after a greatly decreased duration on stronger enemies), has diminishing returns if recast on the same target, only affects certain types of enemies, and all AoE abilities have a target cap.
  • Wildstar, Rift, and GW2's CC has a low target cap, low duration, and long cooldowns.
  • Borderlands' CC (from talents) has a chance per bullet, and you have to keep shooting at targets to keep it active.
  • Firefall's CC had long cooldowns, short durations and small areas of effect.
  • EVE Online's CC doesn't even work on most NPCs (except for stasis webs), only other players.

You know nothing about CC.

See the problem with your post is, these are totally different games. If I compare borderlands 2s endgame to warframes, they couldnt be more different. In borderlands 2 you CANNOT get one shotted. In warframe you easily can. The enemies in Borderlands 2 have a level cap (80 + something) in warframe they dont. Then there are way less enemies on screen in borderlands than in warframe.

What I am saying is, borderlands gameplay doesnt work in warframe, we need flat out more powerful abilities, including more powerful cc. If you cant stop one single enemy from getting to you, your dead. 

Hydroid needs to be reworked. He was clearly meant to be a cc frame, but had bad abilities. What DE did to fix this was making him into a boring and invincible frame with unlimited damage and bad cc. I already posted a rework idea on this forum that I hoped people would expand on, i can link it if you want.

17 minutes ago, YagoXiten said:

The range of Tempest Barrage is misleading.

Four times each second, Tempest Barrage chooses a random point within 10m of the targeted location and causes an explosion that deals damage and knocks down all enemies within 5m.

If a missile were to land directly at the cast point of Tempest Barrage, it would not stun every enemy in the 10m area. With maximum range, however, a missile that were to land directly at the cast point of Tempest Barrage would damage and knock down all enemies within 12.5m, which is actually an area larger than the initial 10m targeting range.

As a result, Tempest Barrage has the ability to stun anything within a ~14 to ~25m Radius of your cast location, with Power Range affecting not just the total area it can affect, but also the reliability with which it does so.

Yes, this is a smaller area than a maximized Power Range Tentacle Swarm cast with a full charge, and it does not last as long. But with that said, unlike Tentacle Swarm, Tempest Barrage costs less Energy, does not have a target cap,  does not make it as difficult to hit affected targets, can be recast an unlimited number of times, does not interrupt your animations, can damage enemies inside of Undertow, and is less dependent upon enemy spawn patterns and terrain to retain its efficacy over its full duration.

Unless you have a desperate need to target random enemies that are out of line of sight and are far beyond Tempest Barrage's effective radius, anything you can do with Tentacle Swarm you can do by casting Tempest Barrage.

The only real practical benefit Tentacle Swarm has that Tempest Barrage does not is that it lasts longer, but since half of its duration ends up wasted if enemies change their spawn patterns, this is solved by merely turning around to hit 1 twice as often as you would to hit 4.

All this isn't to say that Tentacle Swarm is unusable. It's every bit as usable as Well of Life is on Trinity. It does do things. It just does what it does almost strictly worse than another ability that the same frame has easier access to.

This is NOT the same as Bastille / Vortex, because whilst those two abilities do overlap in that they are both area denial abilities, Bastille has substantially more range, is not as reliable due to its target cap, allows Vauban and his squad to easily score headshots, and Vortex is reliable, makes it difficult if not impossible to score headshots, forcibly relocates enemies, and combos with things such as the Gas status condition or the Pox Secondary Weapon in a way that Bastille does not. For the enemies it may not make much of a difference, but for the player, the choice behind pressing 3 or 4 is often huge. It often is moot as to which one is chosen, but there are also plenty of circumstances where there is an actual mechanical reason to choose one over the other.

Don't get me wrong. I use Tentacle Swarm. But every time I do, I'm aware that the only reason I have to do so is because I want to, and not because it actually does something significant that Tempest Barrage could not.

Not sure of what the point of like everything except the last two paragraphs was, as i already established that tempest barrage is a superior move.  I said they could be used for different functions. Not that i find tentacle swarm better, or that i had no idea what the word "radius" meant.

I also never said that they were the same as bastille and vortex.  I said to think of it "like" those moves. As in, area denial duration based cc,  with the other still serving a functional purpose. Its also strange how you said that bastille has a way larger range than tempest barrage... Its 10 meters at base... which means it hits 25 meters with max range. Which is the exact range a max range tempest barrage can hit as you yourself established in the same post. 

As far as tentacle swarm. I've already stated the ways i use it that i dont use tempest barrage. It works for me. True, i dont HAVE to use it, but it makes my games easier when i do. 

I look at them as two sides of the same coin. vauban enables great gunplay and "ok" melee play for your team through cc. Hydroid enables great melee and "ok" gunplay through cc. 

2 hours ago, Buddhakingpen said:

Not sure of what the point of like everything except the last two paragraphs was, as i already established that tempest barrage is a superior move.  I said they could be used for different functions. Not that i find tentacle swarm better, or that i had no idea what the word "radius" meant.

I also never said that they were the same as bastille and vortex.  I said to think of it "like" those moves. As in, area denial duration based cc,  with the other still serving a functional purpose. Its also strange how you said that bastille has a way larger range than tempest barrage... Its 10 meters at base... which means it hits 25 meters with max range. Which is the exact range a max range tempest barrage can hit as you yourself established in the same post. 

As far as tentacle swarm. I've already stated the ways i use it that i dont use tempest barrage. It works for me. True, i dont HAVE to use it, but it makes my games easier when i do. 

I look at them as two sides of the same coin. vauban enables great gunplay and "ok" melee play for your team through cc. Hydroid enables great melee and "ok" gunplay through cc. 

You are not using them for different functions. You are using them for different but arbitrary reasons. That is to say Tempest Barrage is so much better that the only reason you are not casting it instead is because you do not want to. And there is a huge difference.

Bastille is considerably larger than Vortex. I was not talking about it being larger than Tempest Barrage. The point is to highlight how there are far more differences, which also happen to be significant and useful, between Bastille and Vortex than there are between Tempest Barrage and Tentacle Swarm.

4 hours ago, LSG501 said:

Then why even put it on there... that type of gameplay is the most lazy approach you can have in this game.

Agreed. But, at the very least, it differentiates Hydroid's 1 and 4.

Still the bottom of the heap for me, unfortunately. If I want to reliably CC enemies, every other CC frame is a better option.

People saying his rework is good don't fight infested very often. I'm not talking about exterminate trash mobs either, I'm talking about ancients that don't care about his abilities.

I'm using Hydroid main since the rework, I found it the worst warframe before the rework (sorry Hydroid lovers), is now I'm a better place, but still not in the place where it should be.

I like his kit, with both 2 and 3 is easy to avoid lethal damage, but his 1st and 4th abilities' are just too random to rely on.

Let's talk about each ability:

1st: Tempest Barrage.

Well, as I said I feel this to be too much inconsistent, to much unreliable, I've got a simple solution, why not start the barrage with a big projectile at the ability center which knock down all the enemies in the whole range of the ability (or at least 3/4 of the range) and then start the barrage just as it is. This would give a much better reiability (I could cast it just before receiving a teammate or activating a life support) in my opinion.

Wanting to bring it to another level would be adding this bigger projectile to hit the center at the beginning of the ability and also every X seconds.

The ability would be kept almost the same, but the consistency would be much better!

2nd: Tidal Surge.

Tidal Surge is quite good as it is, there is only a little suggestion: make the wave drag bodies that are in undertow while casting it in undertow, so we have the possibility to decide whether to move normally and leave enemies behind or cast Tidal Surge and bring them with us (would be also better synergized with undertow since the damage increase the more enemies are inside).

3rd: Undertow.

Undertow is just fine as it is, is a still ability, but can provide quite a lot (big damage, self and group heals, invulnerability).

I'd like just one thing with this...An enemy counter for the enemies still alive inside. I know that I can see that enemies are inside by looking for damage numbers, but a counter on the ability icon would provide much help.

Also, many are bothered by the fact that enemies just ignore you, why not leave the Kraken out in the middle of the puddle to attract enemies curious about it? Maybe it could show only when 4 is cast in the puddle and stay there untill the puddle ends.

4th: Tentacle Swarm.

I liked the animation a lot more when the tentacles slammed enemies everywhere, was hilarious. But I know the change was made to make enemies easier to hit (still quite hard). So, a small suggestion, revert the slamming as it was before and make warframes able to hit tentacles, the damage absorbed by tentacles is equally divided to the enemies that tentacles is holding and dealt as impact damage, or half the damage is assorbed and dealt as finisher damage.

Hope this will be read by someone and taken into consideration, even some of this tweaks could bring Hydroid in the place he deserves (please, please add the enemy counter for undertow).

I don't know what game people are playing but i've used hydroid both pre and post rework and the tentacles are MUCH more accurate now.  I see an enemy I want grabbed and it gets grabbed.  The only time this doesn't happen for me is if I cast it on a group and my tentacles have already grabbed every other enemy.  I've even had a tentacle spawn IN THE AIR to nab an enemy.

his 4 exists as another method of CC.  As is his entire kit is CC.  his 1 is cheap CC that can be spammed but isn't accurate.  His surge is targeted CC that serves as a way to escape damage or clear a point.  His puddle is the consistent CC in his kit.  and it lets you net HVT's as well with snatching enemies.  But since it's not practical to get into your puddle on the fly every time he has cc in the rest of his kit to make up for it.  and his 4 is for the most ranged CC or targeting a specific group of enemies that you don't want to babysit yourself via puddle.

Dunno why you have issues with barrage.  If you only cast it once and wait till it runs out again that's doing it wrong.

In order to reliably CC with his 1 you need to cast it repeatedly in an area a few times.  When I do this I end up CCing everyone I meant to CC.

And post rework his tentacles are always nabbing who I want them to.  And due to the change they don't flail the enemy everywhere now.  Which means they can be easily shot by potatoes now.

I like the new hydroid rework, if i was to change anything on top of the new rework i'd add a percentage as your casting the Tentacle Swarm power to tell you "ok of your power strength this is how much more power strength your getting casting this" similar to Equinox's 3rd dayform ability except at the ability so you know how much harder your hitting instead of having to do experimentation to figure it out if that's even a thing.

I don't like how the 2 ability for hydroid while in 3 is half the distance or something, i'd like that to just be however far it's supposed to normally go, this may seem overpowered at first but i feel it would be a fair change.

Now if i had to suggest any form of overhauling hydroid's powers i think having his 4th ability should not be similar to WoF (Ember's 4) but i do agree the fish when hydroid casts 4 looks awesome but i like things to have a "purpose". Like how about if an enemy survives the tentacle swarm the fish eats one random enemy that was on a tentacle to death and works with the augment mod "Pilfering Swarm". I wouldn't even care if there was a 5 second timer on it where it can only do that every 5 seconds like a cool down effect.

Now that i think about it, the big thing i'd like to see is for his 1 to gain more duration at base.

Edited by MageSkeleton

While I appreciate Tentacle Swarm moves slower now making it easier to shoot enemies, I really don't see why the ability can't just hold enemies in the air on pin them down. It's not a big concern but it would be better for the team if Tentacle Swarm choked the life out of enemies rather than repeatedly slamming them.

Undertow is still a problem though in that you are forced to sit in it. If you changed Undertow to a tap/hold ability, as in tap to deploy it, hold to become a puddle, I would buy 2 Hydroid Prime Access packs. Giving players the option to lay Undertow down and move about as Hydroid independent of the puddle would help keep his gameplay as fast as the rest of Warframe.

But otherwise, Hydroid is a lot better as a Warframe than he once was so great job doing that.

Hydroid's rework is SO good.
It's So Damn Good!! I can't get over it.
Absolutely nailed it, without a single doubt.

He's more mobile, slippery, accurate, and Entirely better at making use of his kit.
I loved him before, but this is Seriously a treat.

Thank you DE, thank you thank you.:heart:

Hydroid's all about the stick and move.
Fire/roll/2 Walljump/1, Roll/3/2/come up jump and 1...
CONSTANT constant movement and maneuvering.
Absolutely constant. He is water, and must always flow.

Be the storm, and let the rain (his 1) be the feeder bands on the outside of it.

Try it out with Natural Talent or Speed Drift.
Push in with 2, cast 1. Like, immediately. Bam, bam.
They are down from the wave, 1 KEEPS them down.

Barrage is suppressive fire.
It begins an assault in progress, or follows to cover a retreat.
Never stop hitting them with water. Ever. Ever ever ever.
Hydroid is the absolute GOD frame of spam functions.
...and now that all of those functions tie in, he's SO much more aggressive!

Flood the field. Constant. Constant!
Cannot be stressed enough.
What Ember does passively with WoF (her Ult. mind you,) Hydroid does manually with every single piece of his kit.
You've gotta bring it Extremely hard!
Stick and move. Never stop flowing, never stop.

41 minutes ago, kapn655321 said:

Hydroid's all about the stick and move.
Fire/roll/2 Walljump/1, Roll/3/2/come up jump and 1...
CONSTANT constant movement and maneuvering.
Absolutely constant. He is water, and must always flow.

Be the storm, and let the rain (his 1) be the feeder bands on the outside of it.

Try it out with Natural Talent or Speed Drift.
Push in with 2, cast 1. Like, immediately. Bam, bam.
They are down from the wave, 1 KEEPS them down.

Barrage is suppressive fire.
It begins an assault in progress, or follows to cover a retreat.
Never stop hitting them with water. Ever. Ever ever ever.
Hydroid is the absolute GOD frame of spam functions.
...and now that all of those functions tie in, he's SO much more aggressive!

Flood the field. Constant. Constant!
Cannot be stressed enough.
What Ember does passively with WoF (her Ult. mind you,) Hydroid does manually with every single piece of his kit.
You've gotta bring it Extremely hard!
Stick and move. Never stop flowing, never stop.

Unless we talk about his current most effective strategy the puddle strategy. Just sit there and dont do anything while the mobs die.

2 hours ago, (PS4)WINDMILEYNO said:

Why are people upset about hydroid not being a cheese frame, but no one is upset about all the other frames with terrible abilities that really are crap?

Nullstar and psychic bolts arent even real abilities

To be fair 2 months ago i made a post about giving these abilities new augments what make them useable atleast.

Just now, Fallen_Echo said:

Unless we talk about his current most effective strategy the puddle strategy. Just sit there and dont do anything while the mobs die.

While yes, things can die like that..
You can also stand still firing a gun at a wall until someone walks in front of it..
By no means the fastest, most lethal, more entertaining, or most functional use of his kit.

Puddle is great as a state between moves, not a state on it's own.
I'd say they could cap it to 3 seconds TOPS, but that wrecks his stealth capability.. so..

24 minutes ago, kapn655321 said:

While yes, things can die like that..
You can also stand still firing a gun at a wall until someone walks in front of it..

Well thats a legit strategy knowing in which way the enemies tend to spawn.

25 minutes ago, kapn655321 said:

By no means the fastest, most lethal, more entertaining, or most functional use of his kit.

Fastest? No.

Most lethal? Yes. Only this skill what has scaling damage, meaning that while the others will fall-off at certain levels this will remain useful.

Most entertaining? Gotta agree this on is boring as hell.

Most functional? Godmode, team heal, scaling damage, able to cast other skills while in puddle, this is essentially his most useful skill.

(MR24, 2000hrs played, only 2 posts, never post anything about buff or nerff something but this break my heart u.u) Hydroid was some of my first warframes is my 3rd more played warframe, i allways try to take him to low level places so i don't have to use the puddle. After play whit reworked hydroid a lot i see some problems whit him, i know you're really busy whit plains of eidolon but can we at least rework him later? maybe after you release plains of eidolon so you can focus on him? i just wanna play whit him (use your full forma guns) (T-T)7

WZ7SNxD.png

if you see some way we can broke the game whit this please replay me. 

edit: "ture" "killin" and more. (srry for my bad english)

Edited by -Jakal-