Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Add LoS Requirement to Avalanche

SevenLetterKWord

Avalanche's raw power and formidable range over-rewards unskilled play by guaranteeing kills on any targets within range.
Few players are aware that Avalanche will freeze surviving targets in Conclave, simply because Avalanche doesn't leave survivors.
No effort is required to follow-up on damaged players. There are no damaged players. There are only corpses.

No ability, especially not a single-button-press ability, should completely substitute for all other forms of gameplay.
A player should not be able to get away with a playstyle that is literally just "hide until Avalanche".

Increase counterplay options to Avalanche by requiring line-of-sight to hit.
Additionally, add a range indicator to the ability, much like what Crush was given. This gives players an idea of how far they have to flee to escape the impending lethal.
Alternatively or additionally, increase the effort required to use Avalanche by reducing the ability's damage, thus requiring users to follow-up by shooting at frozen targets.

I've used Avalanche time and time again, seeking out fighting parties and either leaping into the fray while casting mid leap, or finding a fight happening on the other end of a wall or corner, taking out multiple (if not all) units in a single saved up cast.

Also, I suck at Conclave.

If someone like me can use it to get 3rd place in an Annihilation, then yeah, there's something wrong. x'D

(I'd say make cast time slightly faster though if LoS is added.)

Edited by Tangent-Valley

29 minutes ago, (PS4)ExcessiveSteeze said:

Seems fine to I always get spawn killed by excal and his still overpowered exulted blade in one hit.

You can't get spawn killed since you are immune to damage during 6 seconds or until you take any offensive action (whatever happens first) after spawning.

27 minutes ago, Oksanya said:

Fine by me, I don't play conclave...as long as that STAYS in conclave...

11 minutes ago, DarkRuler2500 said:

Conclave: Yes
In PVE: Don't

Don't worry, there are lots of PvP changes that haven't afected PvE in any way, even tough PvE changes usually break some (or a lot) of stuff in PvP. This is also a conclave feedback thread in the proper section and with the proper tags, so there's no need to make that difference.

-------------------

On topic, I think you're right, it needs to require some skill to be used, however I don't think that freezing entirely the players affected by it is a good idea since the only way to leave alive that place would be praying for the caster to not notice you. I think a cold proc on affected players could be enough, no matter if it has one or 2 additional seconds over their normal duration to make it more rewarding (that's assuming the damage is toned down since it's currently too much)

11 hours ago, (PS4)ExcessiveSteeze said:

Seems fine to I always get spawn killed by excal and his still overpowered exulted blade in one hit.

You can't get spawn killed, there's a 6s inmunity phase after respawn unless you attack, which means you get the first shot and are ready for battle.

Also, EB is actually fairly balanced. It only one-shots you if you get a direct hit from the blade. the waves hit really hard but have short range and can be dodged if you get out of range quickly. The only problem I kind of find with it is the mindless E-spam style of it, mostly because the combos are worthless.

I think a good change could be reducing the damage of basic waves, but making combo-specific waves have increased damage and range/speed. Of course that could also require giving EB a new Conclave-specific Stance since the current stance is too mindbogglingly long and clunky for that kind of thing.

I know this is off topic, but what would you think of that @SevenLetterKWord?

Also, I agree on everything for Avalanche, LoS requirement and clear radius indicator. The damage could receive the Explosive damage treatment: reduced damage on the edges of the radius but full one-shot levels of damage in the center.

11 hours ago, Nazrethim said:

Also, I agree on everything for Avalanche, LoS requirement and clear radius indicator. The damage could receive the Explosive damage treatment: reduced damage on the edges of the radius but full one-shot levels of damage in the center.

That would be unprecedented; most AoE ultimates don't have damage falloff, and it's not generally a change made to abilities when transitioning from PvE to PvP.
More importantly, I see no need to add such a complication when the line-of-sight requirement and better range telegraphing would suffice.

Spoiler
11 hours ago, Nazrethim said:

Also, EB is actually fairly balanced... The only problem I kind of find with it is the mindless E-spam style of it, mostly because the combos are worthless.

I think a good change could be reducing the damage of basic waves, but making combo-specific waves have increased damage and range/speed. Of course that could also require giving EB a new Conclave-specific Stance since the current stance is too mindbogglingly long and clunky for that kind of thing.

I know this is off topic, but what would you think of that @SevenLetterKWord?

Spamming waves does appear to be the most effective playstyle for Exalted Blade. This, of course, is a flaw of the core (PvE) design.
I think it would be a good idea for all exalted melee weapons to have Conclave stances with RMB and pause combos.
If that happens, we'll have to see how it affects the usage of Exalted Blade before we suggest any changes to the energy waves.

Further discussion of Exalted Blade and ability melee should occur in a new thread.