Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chains of Harrow: Hotfix 21.4.2

[DE]Danielle

I need to check the hotfix version, but something I noticed this morning:  some Specter pets are treated as hostile NPCs by Undertow.  As in, I summoned an Ancient Specter, and as it was shambling around, it touched the edge of the puddle and fell in.  And subsequently took damage, then died.  I'll check later if this is still happening, but I'm curious if this is an intended behavior or a bug.  I know a fair number of other powers *don't* really affect Specters or allied NPCs, but I can't think of one offhand that actually attacks them.  And I'm also curious how this would interact with the Derp in the "Defend the Derp" sortie missions, since he's both quite stupid and prone to wandering aimlessly and randomly.

I'd hate to see Hydroid become an "instant mission Abort" frame because he can kill pets and allies.

Allow Hydroid to revive allies when he's a puddle. Make his 2,3, and 4 all dye much better to match his power color in appearance. We're forced to have cummies now for his 4th skill?

Lastly, really hate the 4 rework. I like you can jump cast it and move while casting...hate it's now a cluster attack instead of a wide spread assault on the battlefield. I suggest either amplifying the range significantly or allowing you to summon multiple "krakens" on the field since now it's a creature instead of just a skill.

I love the 1 now has better targeting, but still needs work. 2: Not a fan it pulls enemies with you, I'd rather it push them out of the way. 3: My only critiques about this are (a. better color enhancement, b. allow ally revives while toggled, c. show number of enemies pulled under over the 3 spell similar to how frost 3 shows 100%-0% durability), Lastly, 4: Needs a re-skin on the tentacles, needs to have the same spread as prior to the rework or allow multi-casting.

Overall, I like you can move/jump cast all his spells. I love for the most part his skills combo well together. His 1 spell has never been satisfactory to me. I feel it needs a new design all together. It currently has no use, little damage, and no cohesion with his other spells.

1 Ideas:

A. Creates a giant tidal wave to push enemies away or pull enemies in

B. Similar to his 4, where I aim my mouse, 8 small waves crash into the center pulling all enemies in its path to the center (power range effects radius)

C. Acid Rain, showers the battlefield with toxic ghost rain confusing or dazing enemies and causing a damage over time effect

D. Smog/Mist, Mist exudes from Hydroid slowly coiling outward from all directions (duration/range based) and confuses the enemies generating agro and forcing all touched with the mist to seek out Hydroid (like an angler fish)

E. Hurricane/Rainstorm, a frontal cone attack that puts little rain clouds over enemies heads electrocutes them every few seconds briefly stunning them and placing a damage over time effect on them

F. Liquefy/extend, He extends his arms like long tendrils to backhand or slap all the enemies in a wide arc attack knocking all enemies down in the direction slapped (attack alternates left, right, left randomly each time cast)

G. Bubble Breath, similar to Chroma's 1st ability, Hydroid can channel bubbles from his mouth to slow and confuse enemies

Just some Idea's I thought of on the spot. Any of the above would make Hydroid soo much better <3. Personally, I like B, D, and F.

Anyone else have an idea for Hydroid 1 being reworked?

Edited by Taelayah

2 hours ago, [DE]Danielle said:
  • The mission voting screen in endless missions will now proceed immediately if the squad vote is unanimous.

Yay!  Less wasted energy while stuck channeling / wasted time on convergence orb focus buffs.

Pausing everything while the voting screen is up might have been a better solution for that, but this fixes something else too.

Now we only have to wait in defense missions while our buff is being wasted, for things like the elevator in the Grineer Galleon, and the train in the Grineer Shipyard tilesets (Could enemies start spawning when they start moving, instead of when they stop?).

2 minutes ago, heisthex said:

DE, does restore range on Hydroids really that hard to do? 

With only 4m radius of Undertow (or 6.5m with MAX range, WTF??)

How teammates can stand together in my puddle when using Curative Undertow aug mod when it is so tiny?

the puddle itself is small, but it does PULL things from further away apparently.

4 hours ago, [DE]Danielle said:

Chains of Harrow: Hotfix 21.4.2

• The mission voting screen in endless missions will now proceed immediately if the squad vote is unanimous. 

Thanks for that. We need less cooldowns on this game, such as the 10s after missions and the ones during fissure missions and defenses.

Edited by toafarmer

20 minutes ago, Alanthier said:

the puddle itself is small, but it does PULL things from further away apparently.

But it make the aug mod useless because 4m radius is too tiny for teammate to stand inside to get heal long enough, it was useful for def sortie and now the nerf to the range is a way destroying the useful of using the aug mod.

1 hour ago, toafarmer said:

Thanks for that. We need less cooldowns on this game, such as the 10s after missions and the ones during fissure missions and defenses.

Best Idea yet...but, I'm a bit worried how this will play in Fissures. I already hate that fissures give you like 10s between to pick a relic...and if you have 1000s, you need to look at each one to see what they have, type in search if there's something specific you want, lahdeedah. I wish the timer was stopped or increased to like 30s for picking (i understand people can troll and hold the timer), then when everyone picks it auto starts.

The Baro mail "fix' has had two issues for me:

1. My last mail from the Stalker about consequences comes up as new every single time I enter the ship. I've done everything that I know how to do, but it's always there.
  2. Baro did not mail as per the norm to say that he is arriving.

Seems something broke when the change was made.

Just now, Taelayah said:

Best Idea yet...but, I'm a bit worried how this will play in Fissures. I already hate that fissures give you like 10s between to pick a relic...and if you have 1000s, you need to look at each one to see what they have, type in search if there's something specific you want, lahdeedah. I wish the timer was stopped or increased to like 30s for picking (i understand people can troll and hold the timer), then when everyone picks it auto starts.

Imo you should know which relics you need before even joining a fissure mission. Whenever I enter an endless fissure I go to refiner and see which are the ones I wanna pick. I don't even understand why people take more than 5s to chose a relic. 

3 minutes ago, True_Naeblis said:

1. My last mail from the Stalker about consequences comes up as new every single time I enter the ship. I've done everything that I know how to do, but it's always there.

The mail notification you're getting is probably for baro, for some reason it showed up like a page and a half down for most people

Make it so Vacuum can loot Reactant, Make it so Lenz works with Firestorm and Thunderbolt and has 30ammo instead of 6, Show Eximus names again pls. Artic Eximus what? Artic Eximus Heavy Gunner (example)

Make all powers (jump castable) aside from obvious ones like Banshee 4 or Mesa 4, Make it so Nyx 4 with Assimilate augment, she can jump or get off wires while power is still active

Oh...and for the Love of RNGesus, please put actual Number Values on Fissure Rewards when you pick your loot. Not all common, uncommon, and rare are equal... I want to see a physical ducat value on end rewards.

Also, truthfully...I think we should get all 4 and not have to pick one...as in old days you could use 1 key and endlessly get forma, prime parts, etc

Also, during invasions i the map has "fire dmg" or "ice dmg" effects or piles laying around. Allow not just frames, but wpns to squash them. Any wpns with Ice damage, or Ice Combo'd damage (like Viral: Toxic/Cold) can cancel out fire patches on a level. And any heat or heat combo damage like (blast: Heat/Cold) can cancel any ice patches

Edited by Taelayah

So the Hydroid Revisit has had two big changes that have resulted in nerfed behavior:

1. Range reduced on the puddle size for "Undertow"
  2. Starting range reduced for the size of "Tentacle Swarm"

While I'm not happy about these, I've discovered that there has been another 'nerf' that doesn't get mentioned as much. Which nerf? Hydroid can now be kicked out of Undertow by the stomp attacks of Infested Mutalist MOAs. The spreading ring from the stomp attack performed by Mutalist MOAs will now pop you up and out of the safety of Undertow. I believe that this is an unintentional nerf due to the new 'escape mechanism' where you can jump or roll to disable the power... and this movement is getting simulated by Mutalist MOA stomp attacks.

1 hour ago, True_Naeblis said:

I had that too, try to scroll down to the previous time Baro messaged you and see if that message is now marked unread. I had the same issue and finding Baro's previous message fixed the recurring notification.

Edited by Neightrix

I really like this approach you're taking. Rather than giving us a potentially bad rework, you're listening to feedback and take it a step at a time. I much appreciate this. I'll test if Tempest Barrage's new targeting improvements are good.

Please look into enemies being dragged by undertow as you move or cast tidal surge. As it stands its damage isn't going to kill anything beyond the starchart, but I see great potential in crowd control if it could drag enemies, and utility scales infinitely regardless of level. Especially since they cannot be targeted by allies while submerged. It might be really fun to just undertow and tidal surge all the enemies in an area and then deposit them to be killed by teammates in one massive pile.

Perhaps have it have an enemy limit, and have that limit scale with power strength.

Another thing to look into is to have the tentacle damage improve the closer they are bunched up when cast from Undertow. As it stands enemies can only take damage from 1 tentacle at a time and they are difficult for Hydroid to target or hit with any weapon, let alone teammates. If this is not to be addressed perhaps an improvement in the actual damage from Tentacle Swarm deals when it's condensed.

I'll get back to you on the changes you made to Tempest Barrage soon.

Edit: The targetting mechanics on Tempest Barrage are great! I can run negative range and still hit a single target if I need to. The removal of some of the RNG is better than removing all of it entirely, in my opinion. I must say, this is a fantastic change!

Edited by TheLegendTamer
I tried out the Tempest Barrage changes!

I guess i shouldn't be too surprised, but i really wonder what made you nerf Hydroid this hard.

Undertow: Reduced Range by something like 75%, original range for manual click to collects, but extra energy for each pull in. Not only did you add unneccessary clicking around, but you increased the energy costs by making that not free. The moving part is a joke, its far too slow plus, enemies drop out when you move too much. This was fixable with collecting people again, but you guessed it, energy costs through the roof. And guess what, lets remove him being able to receive energy from EV.

On that note, why is Harrow not able to pick up energy orbs while channeling Thurible?

Tentacle Swarm: As some people suggested, you added the option to charge it up. However, due to the huge range nerf, charging up is now mandatory, which means that actually just the cast time went up to a massive amount of four seconds. Until this rework, Hydroid could work as a room clearer, since at lower levels (<= 45-50) his eruption damage was enough to kill enemies. The reduced range plus the massive cast time really killed this.