The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Pcgamer Article. [U10 ,pvp, End Of Beta Info]

Kroul

If it gets its own PvP, I would like to have the lesser evil, and be given a DotA style group match. 4v4 unranked frames, with accelerated growth, that way we don't have to deal with people bringing in their 5x forma Acrids and 1shotting anyone(I bring this up because I am that guy with the acrid. >.<).

If it gets its own PvP, I would like to have the lesser evil, and be given a DotA style group match. 4v4 unranked frames, with accelerated growth, that way we don't have to deal with people bringing in their 5x forma Acrids and 1shotting anyone(I bring this up because I am that guy with the acrid. >.<).

This... Is actually a pretty good idea

Can't say I see anything in this article we didn't already know. Lot of people reading far too into what was said.

To clarify, he clearly stated "continue to experiment with..." and not at all indicating that was going to be some branch of development with regards to PVP or eSports.

Damn right!

Get the hell out of our precious baby pve game.

Coop and pve is what makes the core of this game fun.

If they persue a esport direction just for the sake of revenue....

I would be so disappointed. Because the moment that happens,

the focus WILL HAVE TO be on balancing balancing, whining, raging, bad community, etc.

The actual game content will take a backseat and slowdown.

Please don't T_T!

People who outright refuse to accept PvP are ignorant stubborn people. This game happens to be built to allow for team based PvP which would be like a hybrid of Gears of War and Splinter Cell. This game would be amazing if I could join into a random search & destroy or a some other objective based match. 

I been here since January. My opinion is valid, I'm a founder and I've stuck with this game because it is fun. PvP would just be the cherry on top. 

People who outright refuse to accept PvP are ignorant stubborn people. This game happens to be built to allow for team based PvP which would be like a hybrid of Gears of War and Splinter Cell. This game would be amazing if I could join into a random search & destroy or a some other objective based match. 

I been here since January. My opinion is valid, I'm a founder and I've stuck with this game because it is fun. PvP would just be the cherry on top.

Oh yes, Gears of War. The glue yourself to a piece of chest-high wall to regenerate damage and the environment is grey, brown, and muzzle flash. The guys are more built than Rhino on roids and the voice acting makes me wanna @(*()&#036; puke.

As for Splinter Cell, depends on which game you mean.

eSports/tournaments doesn't *have* to be a PVP format, events are already happening using the game's PVE focus.

Just recently I won a duo defense tournament with a clanmate, it was organized by DE reps in my country. The format was you had one shot to get to the highest wave you could in Casta (Ceres), team of only 2. We got to wave 33 with a Frost Prime + Nyx combo, maybe around lvl 110-130 Grineer at that point. An invincible bugged Ballista inside a rock as the last enemy on wave 33 stopped us but it was good enough to secure the win.

So that's an example and I'd rather they make tournament modes out of PVE rather than PVP.

I don't think having this game developed as an eSport would be a bad thing at all, if it is done correctly.

I'd say the best way to do this would be to continue to avoid PVP, and instead add in a challenge mode for missions, where you awarded points for various actions, with the overall goal of completing the mission in the most space-ninja-y way possible. In this instance stealth would be a huge boon, and things like killing things whilst chaining wall runs would give massive points.

The people that want pvp in warframe are "special"

And here is why:

#1 There are 100 clones of pvp games like that out there that do it better than warframe

#2 This game runs on peer 2 peer. PVP = hacking, laaging, ping leading etc etc

#3 The way the dev team has handled warframe so far pvp would be a horrible unbalanced mess with a side of P2W

#4 PVE is why every one is playing this game. And its not getting enough content as it is. If they focus on PVP the game will die.

#1 There are 100 clones of pvp games like that out there that do it better than warframe

That don't come close to playing similarly to Warframe. People are not going to play those when they want to play Warframe.

Peer to Peer can be an issue, but hacking has not proven to be so.

#3 The way the dev team has handled warframe so far pvp would be a horrible unbalanced mess with a side of P2W

DE already has the means and the know-how to separate the balancing of PvE and PvP.

#4 PVE is why every one is playing this game. And its not getting enough content as it is. If they focus on PVP the game will die.

You can not know that PvE is why "everyone" is playing. Obviously not, or else so many people wouldn't be asking for PvP. And, once again, no one has talked about changing the game's focus. People need to learn to read and stop saying this.

Edited by FatalX7

You can not know that PvE is why "everyone" is playing. Obviously not, or else so many people wouldn't be asking for PvP. And, once again, no one has talked about changing the game's focus. People need to learn to read and stop saying this.

Yeah, you're probably one of those guys who starts playing a game you dont like, starts complaining on the forums how the game should change according to your preferences.

That don't come close to playing similarly to Warframe. People are not going to play those when they want to play Warframe.

Peer to Peer can be an issue, but hacking has not proven to be so.

DE already has the means and the know-how to separate the balancing of PvE and PvP.

Ive played peer 2 peer pvp games. Hacking is ALWAYS an issue. 100% of the time. I quit every one of them because of hackers.

There are tons of games that come close to warframe that are pvp only. Just look on steam. 3rd person sci fi team based pvp games are like sand on the beach.

Separating pvp and pve means nothing. Have you seen the balance attempts DE has made in the past? Have you used warframe abilities ever? There is no way to balance this game without completely changing everything just for pvp. In which case you might as well play a different game and leave the poor warframe devs to design pve content. It would be easier to add a RTS game into warframe than to balance pvp around the current system.

I can know that pve is why every one is playing because warframe was a PVE only game. So any one that started playing it came here for the PVE with pvp as a possible afterthought.

They can add in as much PvP as they want as long as it's optional and doesn't negatively affect the development of other more important core features.

Definitely don't want them balancing things around PvP, that's about it.

Otherwise it affects me in no way. Eventually I'd like clan wars though I don't know how they'd pull that off without getting real servers people can play on.

Ive played peer 2 peer pvp games. Hacking is ALWAYS an issue. 100% of the time. I quit every one of them because of hackers.

There are tons of games that come close to warframe that are pvp only. Just look on steam. 3rd person sci fi team based pvp games are like sand on the beach.

Separating pvp and pve means nothing. Have you seen the balance attempts DE has made in the past? Have you used warframe abilities ever? There is no way to balance this game without completely changing everything just for pvp. In which case you might as well play a different game and leave the poor warframe devs to design pve content. It would be easier to add a RTS game into warframe than to balance pvp around the current system.

I can know that pve is why every one is playing because warframe was a PVE only game. So any one that started playing it came here for the PVE with pvp as a possible afterthought.

I still believe Rhino's Iron Skin was nerfed from Invulnerability with a time limit to what it is now purely because of PvP being introduced with the Dojo system. Before, there was zero reason to balance a power that had no real offensive or team-capability, reviving team mates aside.

Yeah, you're probably one of those guys who starts playing a game you dont like, starts complaining on the forums how the game should change according to your preferences.

You really misunderstand, don't you? If people were playing solely for PvE, we wouldn't have so many people wanting PvP and requesting it. We get new players who come and ask if the game has PvP, so I'm pretty sure we get people who start playing not just for the PvE. It's an online shooter, after all, a lot of people are going to expect PvP.

You can like both, you know.

The game is Peer to Peer now. We play in missions together through that Peer to Peer. Hacking isn't an issue. I don't really see how playing a different game mode in that same Peer to Peer is going to change that.

Theme and setting does not make a game like another. If you had read, I said that none of them come close to playing similarly to Warframe. How it works and what it looks like are... a little different. Unique freedom of movement, varied and well-crafted melee and shooting. People want to play with that, so suggesting that they play something that doesn't have that doesn't do anything. No one is going to listen.

If I remember correctly, some skills actually behave a little differently in dueling. But the subject isn't clan dueling. It's Player versus Player as a whole. DE already created the means to separate the balancing if they actually try to balance, which I seem to have to repeat. Again. The Mod Card system, allowing for the implementation of new abilities which can be made PvE and PvP-specific.

This is a video from PAX. At 4 minutes this guy mentions PvP and they go into some details. They talk about adding the Dojo dueling and that they would slowly and organically build upon PvP from there.

The time that I linked to is when they talked about the Mod Card system.

"Change the mod system you saw into that card game is going to give us the ability to introduce mods that only work in certain types of game modes"

Edited by FatalX7

The point of eSports is to provide entertainment. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm shocked we haven't seen a WWE style eSport venu appear, with scripted personalities and events. While most games that fall under the eSport Scene to take fairly high thinking/reaction/skill and are head to head. That doesn't mean all have to be.

Look at the olympics. The majority of those sports are technique, performance, and goal based, but not directly head to head. More or less everything that falls under track and field, the majority of water sports, etc. Most of these are things that DE could add to the game without breaking the PvE nature. When people see Shooters they expect head to head. It would be nice to break that mold.

I would point to RoosterTeeth's Achievement/Trials Horse. Only a few of their Halo based matches are direct PvP. Most are races of one kind or another through various kinds of obstacle courses. The Orokin rooms are a good example of these already in the game. Doing timed races or even putting 8 people on stage with split screen to the audience of some kind of super nasty obstacle course would work. You could even include a randomized element just as long as all competitors had the same map during the heat. This would go very well with DE making a map making system for the players. Giving the players/tournament organizers a way to control this kind of stuff.

The point of eSports is to provide entertainment. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm shocked we haven't seen a WWE style eSport venu appear, with scripted personalities and events. While most games that fall under the eSport Scene to take fairly high thinking/reaction/skill and are head to head. That doesn't mean all have to be.

Look at the olympics. The majority of those sports are technique, performance, and goal based, but not directly head to head. More or less everything that falls under track and field, the majority of water sports, etc. Most of these are things that DE could add to the game without breaking the PvE nature. When people see Shooters they expect head to head. It would be nice to break that mold.

I would point to RoosterTeeth's Achievement/Trials Horse. Only a few of their Halo based matches are direct PvP. Most are races of one kind or another through various kinds of obstacle courses. The Orokin rooms are a good example of these already in the game. Doing timed races or even putting 8 people on stage with split screen to the audience of some kind of super nasty obstacle course would work. You could even include a randomized element just as long as all competitors had the same map during the heat. This would go very well with DE making a map making system for the players. Giving the players/tournament organizers a way to control this kind of stuff.

Thanks for this.

Another thing that people always seem to forget is that PvP means Player versus Player. That covers a lot of ground and can go beyond simply killing and respawning in an arena. (which is still fun in it's own right)

You really misunderstand, don't you? If people were playing solely for PvE, we wouldn't have so many people wanting PvP and requesting it. We get new players who come and ask if the game has PvP, so I'm pretty sure we get people who start playing not just for the PvE. It's an online shooter, after all, a lot of people are going to expect PvP.

You can like both, you know.

The game is Peer to Peer now. We play in missions together through that Peer to Peer. Hacking isn't an issue. I don't really see how playing a different game mode in that same Peer to Peer is going to change that.

Theme and setting does not make a game like another. If you had read, I said that none of them come close to playing similarly to Warframe. How it works and what it looks like are... a little different. Unique freedom of movement, varied and well-crafted melee and shooting. People want to play with that, so suggesting that they play something that doesn't have that doesn't do anything. No one is going to listen.

If I remember correctly, some skills actually behave a little differently in dueling. But the subject isn't clan dueling. It's Player versus Player as a whole. DE already created the means to separate the balancing if they actually try to balance, which I seem to have to repeat. Again. The Mod Card system, allowing for the implementation of new abilities which can be made PvE and PvP-specific.

Google warframe hacks if you think hacking is a non issue.

Sure they might not join your game and ruin it for you. But they sure as hell will if pvp is put in lol.

yes yes warframe is a unique snowflake rable rable rable... 3rd person sci fi shooter with a little twist of wall running.  Global agenda had jet-packs instead :P

Once again. Separating pvp and pve doesn't mean they should have to make a whole new game. GW1s pve and pvp balancing was done during the games development. It was intended as a pvp game. The skills where created with pvp in mind.

Warframe was 100% pve before U8. All skills where created for pve. Most of them make 0 sense for a pvp game. If you wanted to add pvp to warframe you would have to redesign all of the skills and classes and rebalanced all the weapons and weapon types. It would be like making a pvp version of the game all over.

Google warframe hacks if you think hacking is a non issue

Once again. Separating pvp and pve doesn't mean they should have to make a whole new game. GW1s pve and pvp balancing was done during the games development. It was intended as a pvp game. The skills where created with pvp in mind.

Warframe was 100% pve before U8. All skills where created for pve. Most of them make 0 sense for a pvp game. If you wanted to add pvp to warframe you would have to redesign all of the skills and classes and rebalanced all the weapons and weapon types. It would be like making a pvp version of the game all over.

Are the hacks ruining the game? Running rampant? People complaining about them?

And you didn't even read what I said about separating, did you? They don't have to redesign anything. At all. Ever. And in regards to weapon damage, same deal as mode-specific mods, simply add separate sets of numbers for Player to Player damage. Which is fairly simple to do, apparently.