Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

SpiderMonkeylord's Stuff - Oberon Weshiggan Update

@Valiant I am not a fan of the glossiness either, in a general sense, but I'm conflicted on if I should have done it. It was an attempt to match the glossiness of the default skin but it feels now like that was *possibly* a mistake. Everything looks somewhat better the way I originally intended the textures to look (example below). Unfortunately I made another mistake by submitting before the deadline; there's nothing I can do to change it now, the rules for TennoGen 10 state that "All submissions to the Steam Workshop for this round must be final". So unless that rule doesn't mean what I think it means (maybe it just means no changes after the deadline?) I assume it's kind of a lost cause.

Here's an approximation of what I would have authored if I had not made the mistake of trying to match the materials. As you can see the "plastic" appearance of the default skin took over where I wanted a bit rougher/more metallic, and as a result many of the edges here seem more defined in places. Concerning stretchiness, the default body UV map and the helmet UV both show almost no texel stretching when using a UV test map, so it's possible that what you're seeing there is the result of stretching from the rig/pose. Also, this just a screenshot from substance painter, I don't want to re-export and re-assemble every map just for the example. The render quality is "meh" but it illustrates the point:

3YT0kJL.png

Now, I theoretically since there is no limit to submission count I could re-submit as an alternate skin but that feels tremendously dishonest, like I'd exploiting a loophole in the rules, so that's not really a viable option. I guess I'll just have to consider it "lesson learned". I still have a week before submission deadline, so that's +/- 80 work hours I can put into another skin, as long as I don't do much else.

I've been making progress on the Trinity skin, and I'm fishing for feedback. Sketchfab HERE.

Also still unsure about what to call it. It still has the "bone" theme I started with but I'm going with something slightly vampiric too, because of EV and because Well of Life and Link both *feel* vampiric as well. I've been thinking that "Bone Priestess" (inspired by bless) or "Marrow Eater" are potentials.

OvyMmCK.png

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Updated Original Post with the following:

Update: I reworked the Weshiggan skin based on DE (and Tenno) feedback and updated the workshop item on Steam. Obviously no word yet on if it's accepted, but, for obvious reasons, I'm actually embarrassed about the original skin now. The revised version looks like this:

nlF8fHT.jpg

And for the sake of comparison:

0lLMi2H.jpg

Obviously it's the same theme, same helmet model, and uses a lot of the same ideas, but it's a lot easier to look at and hopefully a far better match to existing skins. I pulled out both the Trypophobia and Scarification ideas because they honestly don't really work with it, and the skin is no longer specifically Halloween themed.

Not sure about the helmets shape, maybe a hooded helmet would fit the theme more but the Trinity skin otherwise looks great.

Maybe have a hooded syandana for the skin? It would feel more "complete" and would add more options for coloring.

• 3 weeks later...