Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mastery Rank 10 test is..... stupid

Fractalisomega

Why? Well lets take a look at the previous tests....

Tests 1-9 all deal with the player's understanding of ingame mechanics be it simple combat, hacking, or stealth.... but the Rank 10 test deals with the player's ability to fight on "disappearing platforms"

Currently I have access to the locations: Earth, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Phobos, Ceres, Jupiter, Europa, Void, Saturn, Uranus, and Derelict

In all of these locations I have not found a single instance of a "disappearing platform"..... why in the universe am I getting tested on something that isn't even a legit Warframe game mechanic?

t1RxqOX.jpg 

So.... complaining merely brings attention to a problem... not to offer possible solutions would also be "illogical".

Here is what I can think of for the possibility of solutions:

1. A level rush.... done in the style of OrokinTreasure room timed race this test would focus on the player's agility, awareness of surroundings and ability to make quick intelligent decisions. http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Orokin_Tower#Treasure_Rooms 

2. An extermination test consisting of equal parts standard combat and submersible (archwing) combat designed to test the player's ability to switch between modes and function efficiently in both.

3. A boss rush extermination consisting of various enemies in 3 separate areas: one for Grineer, one for Corpus, and one for infested.... each would have several normal enemies as well as the Target enemies. Target enemies would include things like: Eximus types of Nox, Drahk and hyekka masters, Heavy gunners, Scorch, bombards, Fusion Moa, Nullifier Crewmen, Corpus Techs, Bursas, Mutualist Moas, ancients, Brood mothers, and Boilers. Mods and credits would not drop but HP and Energy orbs would.

Do you agree with me?

If so what do you think of my possible alternatives for this mission?

Do you have any of your own?

Feel free to share your opinions

Edited by Fractalisomega

2 minutes ago, Fractalisomega said:

Do you agree with me?

No.

It's a simple test of "can you aim, shoot and move quickly?" which is a fundamental skill in a mobility shooter like Warframe.

Did you fail it? All you need is a decent single-shot weapon like the Latron, and just count to 5 in your head while aiming.

5 minutes ago, Fractalisomega said:

Do you agree with me?

I do not...

1 minute ago, Archistopheles said:

No.

It's a simple test of "can you aim, shoot and move quickly?" which is a fundamental skill in a mobility shooter like Warframe.

Did you fail it? All you need is a decent single-shot weapon like the Latron, and just count to 5 in your head while aiming.

Basically this. It's a test of movement while shooting.

You mentioned early in your post one of the previous tests was on "simple combat".  Consider test 10 as "intermediate combat".  Being aware of your surroundings, maneuvering and shooting at the same time isn't just apart of the game's core mechanics; it is one of the game's primary mechanics.

I did this over this past weekend. The test was fine. I use the Simulacrum like it's my job before I take a mastery test. As soon as I see the notification that I can rank up, I head there to practice. Practicing really does help. It allows you to find the best method to get through something efficiently (or it should). If you're going in to the tests blind that is your own choice and no amount of fine-tuning to the game is going to fix you unpreparedness.

Best option: Practice in the Simulacrum (any relay where Simaris is). 

Option to reinforce the first: Watch youtube videos. 

I hope this all helps. Good Luck, Tenno!

rank 10 test is testing your situational awareness. if you cant shoot a stationary target while keeping an eye on the platform, you wont ever be able to survive the higher level content. since there you need to shoot enemies infront of you and also worry about a butcher running up and falcon punching you from behind

41 minutes ago, Archistopheles said:

No.

Of course I failed it... I can aim, shoot, and move quickly but there is nothing in the game with "disappearing platforms" why be tested on something that does not exist in field combat?

36 minutes ago, PoisonHD said:

The test is more meant to test a good portion of the knowledge you have learned until now. Not one specific area like the other tests.

as I have said before... disappearing platforms are not encountered in regular gameplay..... 

24 minutes ago, --Shadow-Stalker-- said:

rank 10 test is testing your situational awareness. if you cant shoot a stationary target while keeping an eye on the platform, you wont ever be able to survive the higher level content. since there you need to shoot enemies infront of you and also worry about a butcher running up and falcon punching you from behind

*cough cough* http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Enemy_Sense    http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Animal_Instinct 

I see everything

_____

Test me on stuff I have been taught.... not something that I have never been presented with

29 minutes ago, Fractalisomega said:

Of course I failed it... I can aim, shoot, and move quickly but there is nothing in the game with "disappearing platforms" why be tested on something that does not exist in field combat?

as I have said before... disappearing platforms are not encountered in regular gameplay..... 

*cough cough* http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Enemy_Sense    http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Animal_Instinct 

I see everything

_____

Test me on stuff I have been taught.... not something that I have never been presented with

the platform litterally flashes for you. you dont even have to see behind you, just look at it and count to 5 after stepping on it then jump to the next. no this mechanic isnt in regular gameplay because the test isnt about that mechanic, its about thinking on your feet and moving. its about adapting to a fast paced environment. the entire game is built around being a very fast paced shooter.

Edited by --Shadow-Stalker--

13 minutes ago, --Shadow-Stalker-- said:

the platform litterally flashes for you. you dont even have to see behind you, just look at it and count to 5 after stepping on it then jump to the next. no this mechanic isnt in regular gameplay because the test isnt about that mechanic, its about thinking on your feet and moving. its about adapting to a fast paced environment. the entire game is built around being a very fast paced shooter.

Maybe if I had more practice in dealing with this mechanic in the regular game (like all the other first 9 tests) it wouldn't be so bad, but when you're given tests on things you have never been taught that's where I have an issue.

4 minutes ago, Fractalisomega said:

Maybe if I had more practice in dealing with this mechanic in the regular game (like all the other first 9 tests) it wouldn't be so bad, but when you're given tests on things you have never been taught that's where I have an issue.

I seem to remember cheesing this test using Dashwire.  I could be mistaking it for another one though.  :D

1 minute ago, Fractalisomega said:

Would you take a look at this like a game developer for a moment.... disappearing platforms are not a game mechanic... thus having them be the basis of a test on game mastery is pointless....

Ok, game developer. DE has stated that the MR 10 test is supposed to challenge a Tenno's ability to aim at a distance while staying mobile.

You are in charge of designing the challenge that tests that.

Go.

12 minutes ago, Fractalisomega said:

There is a way to practice as I mentioned in my previous post. You can even try a test before you ever get to that rank to prepare yourself for what's coming, so there's no reason to not be prepared. And if you have played more than one game in your lifetime being able to make face-based decisions and on the fly should come naturally. You should be able to adapt to your surroundings and get the job done. This game doesn't need to test you only on 'mechanics' that are in the game. It can test you on all kind of various skills that are / will be important to have later down the line.

Also, here's an example as to what this test could represent:

You have to dish out dps on a boss that has 5sec window of nonattacks, otherwise you have to keep moving around the room or he will basically one shot you. 

On 8/17/2017 at 4:50 PM, Archistopheles said:

Ok, game developer. DE has stated that the MR 10 test is supposed to challenge a Tenno's ability to aim at a distance while staying mobile.

You are in charge of designing the challenge that tests that.

Go.

Three possible alternate tests were included in the OP if you took the time to read it

The test can be seen as a metaphorical test.  "Think fast on your feet"
It tests your reaction to sudden danger where you are standing, goading you to leave immediately, not 2 seconds later. Your reaction time is of the essence here.

Examples: 

1. You're running around and suddenly you find yourself landing right in front of a Grineer Rampart.

Somebody with slow reaction time and poor situational awareness will panic and stay there and shoot at it pointlessly or try to run away on foot. They'll be dead in 1.5 seconds. Somebody with fast reaction time and acute situational awareness of what is going on, will bullet jump straight up, aim down and kill the grineer in 0.5 seconds. Or use a quick Warframe ability to remove the danger in that same 0.5 seconds. (Mag pull, Loki Switch Teleport, Excalibur Blind, etc).

2. Bosses that shoot missiles at you.

People that fail this test are likely the same ones I see just standing there and let bosses hit them with slow moving missiles. Those easily predictable slow missiles are the same as the easily predictable slow disappearing platforms. If you can't jump out of the way on time: You. are. slow.  Be faster aware what is happening around you and what is going to happen to you in the heat of the moment. That is what you are being taught here.

3. Aerial mobility control.

This one is more about teaching players how to jump precisely using the game physics while under pressure of threat. A player wants to quickly jump from A to B while shooting an enemy but ends up falling short over overshooting where they wanted to land and they end up landing in the worst possible location resulting in their deaths. In theory, it may sound easy jumping from A to B but many (longtime) players are still not good at this, having precise aerial control of their frames. Look at the Lua organ pipe puzzle, so easy yet so many people hate it cause landing in a specific spot is actually hard for them.

Honestly, schools in real life function the same way. They teach us so many things that will never apply to us in real life. But the underlying lessons still do prepare our minds to think in a specific way that keeps our wits sharp.

TL;DR

The test teaches us one of the oldest survival tricks in the book: THINK FAST!

Edited by MystMan

• 3 months later...
On 8/17/2017 at 9:00 PM, Fractalisomega said:

Why? Well lets take a look at the previous tests....

Tests 1-9 all deal with the player's understanding of ingame mechanics be it simple combat, hacking, or stealth.... but the Rank 10 test deals with the player's ability to fight on "disappearing platforms"

Currently I have access to the locations: Earth, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Phobos, Ceres, Jupiter, Europa, Void, Saturn, Uranus, and Derelict

In all of these locations I have not found a single instance of a "disappearing platform"..... why in the universe am I getting tested on something that isn't even a legit Warframe game mechanic?

t1RxqOX.jpg 

So.... complaining merely brings attention to a problem... not to offer possible solutions would also be "illogical".

Here is what I can think of for the possibility of solutions:

1. A level rush.... done in the style of OrokinTreasure room timed race this test would focus on the player's agility, awareness of surroundings and ability to make quick intelligent decisions. http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Orokin_Tower#Treasure_Rooms 

2. An extermination test consisting of equal parts standard combat and submersible (archwing) combat designed to test the player's ability to switch between modes and function efficiently in both.

3. A boss rush extermination consisting of various enemies in 3 separate areas: one for Grineer, one for Corpus, and one for infested.... each would have several normal enemies as well as the Target enemies. Target enemies would include things like: Eximus types of Nox, Drahk and hyekka masters, Heavy gunners, Scorch, bombards, Fusion Moa, Nullifier Crewmen, Corpus Techs, Bursas, Mutualist Moas, ancients, Brood mothers, and Boilers. Mods and credits would not drop but HP and Energy orbs would.

Do you agree with me?

If so what do you think of my possible alternatives for this mission?

Do you have any of your own?

Feel free to share your opinions

Somebody always thinks MR test 'X' is stupid.  

I can't say I agree with them because as an MR24, I didn't get here without a couple failures... I can't remember the test in specific - it was old, back when Parkour 1 was still around, and you had to wall run and shoot orbs along the way... I failed it for weeks on end until I learned to exploit the radius of the Ignis and make my way through.  (I'm pretty sure this test doesn't exist anymore, but it proves my point of many failures to move on.)  These tests often shake us out of our normal playstyles, but for the better.

Even going into some of these knowing exactly what to do, you can fail.  All I can really say is if you struggle for days on end - go to a relay and practice the test until you're confident you know how to do it flawlessly.  Some of the later tests are pure ridiculous... like the MR24 test before Focus 2.0 came out... was absolutely unreal.  You had an operator receiving absolutely NO benefits from the Focus Tree, and yet we all still managed to pull it off.  (Now it should be easier).

We all had trouble with certain tests along the way - don't let it discourage you, but also don't demand for it to change - this is a point in time where you can learn to do something new, with efficacy, and it will serve you later on.  Sure you don't have to deal with disappearing platforms in other places, but knowing how to deal with those instantaneous reaction moments will make your climb up from here 10x easier.   

Don't think of it as a punishing thing, think of it as a learning and skill development opportunity,  

Edited by (PS4)lagrue