Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mastery tests harder, not fair to new players

Netninja007

On 12/17/2017 at 4:30 PM, phoenix1992 said:

Why the Nekro?

And why playing possum, when it comes down to a simple fact :

"hurr durr MR 8-9-10 is so hard, that almost everyone that sticks with the game over 2 weeks have passed it"

But hey - people don't want to google it, test it in the simulacrum (you don't need a key to pre run your tests), prepare loadout or anything. I can understand that.

I started this game when it first came out.  then MASTERY TEST 8.  And RAGE QUIT.. so here i am two years or so later.. starting a brand new character and gear. - And yeah im feeling the RAGE QUIT all over again.   Except this time there is no 24 hour wait time if you FAIL like  MASTERY TEST 7 (I am well over 200 hours into it and still at Mastery LEVEL Seven.)

If it does not happen..yep.. rage quit again while i attempt to enjoy mytime in other areas.  - Then quit like so so many others i know..

8 minutes ago, Saberhilt said:

I started this game when it first came out.  then MASTERY TEST 8.  And RAGE QUIT.. so here i am two years or so later.. starting a brand new character and gear. - And yeah im feeling the RAGE QUIT all over again.   Except this time there is no 24 hour wait time if you FAIL like  MASTERY TEST 7 (I am well over 200 hours into it and still at Mastery LEVEL Seven.)

If it does not happen..yep.. rage quit again while i attempt to enjoy mytime in other areas.  - Then quit like so so many others i know..

What I get from your post is that you blame the game if you are bad at it.
I mean, I'm terrible at first person shooters. If I played Battlefield then I wouldn't want EA to change the game because of me. I'd face the fact that there are other games out there I'm better at.

On 11/27/2017 at 3:06 PM, Akimotos said:

lol... knowing the way to jump or whatever it is called doesn't make it always valid. I hate jumping games in games when i am forced to pass tests. it will never be a second nature to me. (just like blind typing will never be my thing. not even when i am working with pc's since 1983. 

i did the tests x times and (annoyingly) i had to run back all the way to the elevator, get up and retry that after every 3(5) failed jumps tries. After a few times it's getting pointless (for me). Either i jump to far or not far enough and my fingers don't do what i want. Sadly my eye hand coordination isn't that good and well... im not one of the younger people so second nature... only when i go the bathroom to pee.. For me these are setbacks for me as i am not able to progress... i can pay for every silly thing in the game, but not use everything since it is MR ranked.  

All i can do is try to finish the test and hope i get lucky and by accident jump right. Hoping to get lucky is not fun. Certainly not when it involes mouse-keyboard skills (and at console i am even worse. cant even walk straight. i have had similar problems in many other games as developers seem to have fun with 'jumping on platform' tests.  

if i cant pass it (again) will be a game that i drop out of. other than that i really like this game. its easy 1000% better then destiny 2. 

[People, please, let this thread rest. its 3 MONTHS OLD NOW. ]
yeah? so? i still am not able to pass the damn test.

[Fast travel to shephlon Semaris]

shoot. why didn't i think of that :)))

Im well into 200 hours or more.. and i still have not passed Mastery Test 8.   - totally not cool. cause really.. this should be basic stuff.(BUT im older and i too dont have that coordination for all those key commands) --- OLDER FOLKS PLAY GAMES STILL..     (i played this game well when it first came out and rage quit over not passing the same exact place.. -- except this time , specifically for test 8 there is no 24 hour FAIL WAIT TIME like test 7 was.  [so slightly glad of that].

but this 24 HOUR FAIL - sucks.. and alot of us are not getting any younger.

2 minutes ago, WhiteMarker said:

I mean, I'm terrible at first person shooters. If I played Battlefield then I wouldn't want EA to change the game because of me. I'd face the fact that there are other games out there I'm better at.

Yeah i know i suck at the parkour ;;; forced tests upon game play.  (but on the positive note) But there are other things alot of us older people are going to appreciate.. like the new Fishing or Archwing .. brings us back to old robotech days.. something we appreciate.

old. but not that old. fishing... lol...

robotech :) old memories. noice.
i asked a friend of mine to show me his skills on my pc and he did mastery 8 for me. he did that for other games i got stuck on as well.
i fix the puzzles and stuff. we all have our thing.

dunnow how much hours i already have in tennoland. a lot i guess. and still doing more. we even got our guild up to level 2... whieieie. look at us oldies go.

7 minutes ago, BlackCoMerc said:

That person...who decided that adding TESTS to a video game should be a thing (I'm pretty sure it's Nullifier Guy the Universal Vacuum Hating Fish Oil hoarder)...

DE should probably stop listening to that guy. Like, now.

You know... games are tests if you want to put it like that. There are always skill-based things in video games.
DE should stop listen to people crying about these tests. Since the start of Warframe, these tests became easier. If people have trouble doing the parcour tests now with parcour 2.0, then they wouldn't ever be able to pass the parcour 1.0 tests... People should be glad how easy the tests became.

24 minutes ago, WhiteMarker said:

You know... games are tests if you want to put it like that. There are always skill-based things in video games.
DE should stop listen to people crying about these tests. Since the start of Warframe, these tests became easier. If people have trouble doing the parcour tests now with parcour 2.0, then they wouldn't ever be able to pass the parcour 1.0 tests... People should be glad how easy the tests became.

Except that the tests also have a terrible new visual design that makes platforms hard to discern, aren't colorblind friendly, don't reflect actual game play, frustrate players into quitting, add nothing of value, create barriers to progress that are neither fun nor engaging, feature a 24 hour "I may as well quit, since I can't bypass the wait" period and are, in general, utterly nonsensical in their existence.

But yeah. Other than that, sure, they're fine. You're right, everyone else is wrong. Why not.

13 minutes ago, BlackCoMerc said:

Except that the tests also have a terrible new visual design that makes platforms hard to discern, aren't colorblind friendly, don't reflect actual game play, frustrate players into quitting, add nothing of value, create barriers to progress that are neither fun nor engaging, feature a 24 hour "I may as well quit, since I can't bypass the wait" period and are, in general, utterly nonsensical in their existence.

But yeah. Other than that, sure, they're fine. You're right, everyone else is wrong. Why not.

All of that was there in the old test aswell. And you know what? We couldn't practice. We had no relay. The actual tests were the only practice we had. And just because you don't use all that stuff in actual gameplay doesn't mean nobody is using it.
You say the test aren't fun. That's on you. That's no reason to change the tests. I don't like first person shooters. But I won't play such a shooter and then demand a change, because I don't like it.
And as I said, if people quit because of these easy tests, what would they have done if they had to play the older and harder tests? Maybe suing DE?

4 minutes ago, WhiteMarker said:

All of that was there in the old test aswell. And you know what? We couldn't practice. We had no relay. The actual tests were the only practice we had. And just because you don't use all that stuff in actual gameplay doesn't mean nobody is using it.
You say the test aren't fun. That's on you. That's no reason to change the tests. I don't like first person shooters. But I won't play such a shooter and then demand a change, because I don't like it.
And as I said, if people quit because of these easy tests, what would they have done if they had to play the older and harder tests? Maybe suing DE?

So, they're ok because they're less crap than the old ones? Less bad, still isn't good.

8 minutes ago, BlackCoMerc said:

So, they're ok because they're less crap than the old ones? Less bad, still isn't good.

They are ok, because they are ok. They aren't difficult at all. The problem is that more and more casuals start to play video games. And that's great, because more people buy video games. This means we get more games to play. But all these casuals are bad at gaming. It's harsh to say that. But it's true.

But to come full circle:
This thread says that newer players have a harder time doing the tests. But that's not true. We all had to do the test. And the older players had to do tests that were way more difficult.

But complaining about the tests, and wanting them removed isn't the best idea. Because if we go by this logic, then everything "bad" should get removed.
People say they don't know how to do the tests. They say it's bad nothing in the game tells them how to do something. But nothing in the game tells me how to beat a boss. I have to figure it out on my own. Should bosses get removed because of that? No, because they are part of the game. And so are the mastery test.

6 hours ago, BlackCoMerc said:

Hehe, this talk of Tests reminds me of just how annoying the License Tests were in the Gran Turismo game series. 

1 hour ago, DatDarkOne said:

Hehe, this talk of Tests reminds me of just how annoying the License Tests were in the Gran Turismo game series. 

Now imagine if people kept complaining that they would never drive in reverse avoiding obstacles in a normal race and that the devs should remove those tests.

58 minutes ago, Dwolfknight said:

Now imagine if people kept complaining that they would never drive in reverse avoiding obstacles in a normal race and that the devs should remove those tests.

It wouldn't matter because Polydigital and Sony don't care if their customers have complaints.  About 20 years worth of them not giving a damn.  LOL 

On 8/19/2017 at 10:14 PM, RunningFox said:

1. If you go to any Relay, Cephalon Simaris has Mastery Test practices available that do not affect your actual test (meaning if you fail a practice you don't need to wait 24 hours to do it again or take the real thing)

2. Mastery Rank is not a very important aspect of Warframe, and is certainly should not be a reason to uninstall the game. the only thing it restricts is a select amount of weapons and Syndicate daily standing max, but even then it's not exactly a pressing issue. 

I just completed the MR8 test and had I not been aware of the Cephalon's practices being available I would probably be as upset as the op. This is something that should be included in the new player experience thread.

As a new player I understand exactly where the op is coming from but so far the 24hr wait has actually made me a better player because I'm focusing on the skills being tested in order to pass the test from the get go. If there was no limit to the number of attempts in a 24 hour period I think I would fumble through them and be done with it but practicing parkour and passing the test I find myself utilizing it a lot more after the fact in my normal game play.

Sorry but I actually like the way it's currently designed.

Yeah the 24 hour FAIL - i dont like that. (im older and not getting any younger).

But yest doing to CEphalon before hand there is no penaty to fail the pretest, not the real one.. so i like that.  But doing the mastery test from the ship has a deep 24 hour consequence if not doing it from Cephelon location itself.

I did not know about this additional testing option  when the first game came out over two years ago.. and a RAGED QUIT long ago.  Now i come back.. Yeah all that time i could have been exploring warframe and at times spending money on the game (but this is not a strictly pay-to-advance game is it?) But I do enjoying a good designer / developer community.

On 12/18/2017 at 9:59 PM, WhiteMarker said:

Yeah i pretty much suck at the game.. Im gonna stick to ARCHWING and FISHING.

It's a test of fundamental movement mechanics. I don't really see the problem.

Fail the test?

Go level some other weapons and PRACTICE your movement while you're at it. The game doesn't stop accumulating MR points just because you've hit the level for the next rank.

Not fun/frustrating? oh wow, you're really missing out on parkour, learn it. Once you do, I think you'll enjoy it. 

Go bullet jump->double jump->glide->slide->bullet jump your way from one end of the map to another. If you have a clan, go do the obstacle course if you have one.

Edited by TonyWong

26 minutes ago, TonyWong said:

It's a test of fundamental movement mechanics. I don't really see the problem.

Fail the test?

Go level some other weapons and PRACTICE your movement while you're at it. The game doesn't stop accumulating MR points just because you've hit the level for the next rank.

Not fun/frustrating? oh wow, you're really missing out on parkour, learn it. Once you do, I think you'll enjoy it. 

Go bullet jump->double jump->glide->slide->bullet jump your way from one end of the map to another. If you have a clan, go do the obstacle course if you have one.

Thanks so much Tony, thats pretty inspirational.. yeah i remember four years ago when i first started warframe.. i rage quit. Only to come back now (cause not i see the similaris area tests) - so all that time i could have been playing..and indirectly helping out paying for more Prime Gear and giving Digital Extremes $$$.  But thats not what its about.. Its about supporting the community..

- yeah i didnt find out till just now that the Level your at and Mastery tests are not totally related in functional game play.. except certain missions and definately equipment. - yeah im gonna do that when i log in (instead of being here on these forums).

- Thanks again TonyWong.! i dont totally suck at this.. but i know i do, so a little humility is good for the soul for myself here.

2 hours ago, Devils_Toybox said:

LOL still lame &#! joke test :( Guess I will just get a clan mate to just log in to my account and do them for me since I have nerve damage in my hands.

yeah i have that as well.. i cant use the keyboard as fast as many folks.. but the xbox controller on the pc is an ok compromise for me. and if i really need to aim... i have like a Naga type mouse for aiming in archwing.

17 minutes ago, Saberhilt said:

yeah i have that as well.. i cant use the keyboard as fast as many folks.. but the xbox controller on the pc is an ok compromise for me. and if i really need to aim... i have like a Naga type mouse for aiming in archwing.

I myself use a controller for Warframe on PC.  What I found makes aiming easier is to adjust the sensitivity settings to low for when I'm aiming and slightly faster for everything else.  Works great for me.  The only real drawback I have to using a controller is switching to KB to chat while playing.  Considering I don't chat much in missions anyway it's not that big of a drawback.  :D

On 12/24/2017 at 10:20 PM, DatDarkOne said:

I myself use a controller for Warframe on PC.  What I found makes aiming easier is to adjust the sensitivity settings to low for when I'm aiming and slightly faster for everything else.  Works great for me.  The only real drawback I have to using a controller is switching to KB to chat while playing.  Considering I don't chat much in missions anyway it's not that big of a drawback.  :D

yeah having that extra dexterity in a game to chat and play can be a minor inconvience... for CPU load.. i use Discord on my iphone and dont ever bother with the ingame voice chat they have in Warframe (although its very very appreciated).  Just the little extra processor / cpu power is nice .. so i tend to use my Discord (for voice) ..

PLus at times during certain loading screens in Warframe.. CHAT / TEXT CHAT is disabled.  So i dont like that part.. so I tend to use Discord for any major fun stuff in the clan.

I'm stuck at the mr7>8 test as well.

I've researched, watched videos and practiced ad nauseum, and I still overshoot or fall short of the platforms at one point or another. I know how to use the different movement types, and use them repeatedly in the normal game environment. I've even reached the last room a couple of times in the void tile challenges. However...

I suffer from mid-stage artheritis in my hands, as well as having slight blurring of my vision and am susceptible to vertigo. This makes the mastery test environment VERY hard to cope with, and the test is very disorientating and dizzying, not to mention the aches and stabs of pain in fingers and wrists. Add to that, that you get plonked back at the start after falling, and put onto the hangar to run aaaaalllll the way back to the test area after failing the test, and you have an additional trial of patience added to the ordeal.

I wouldn't mind seeing an option to skip a test for platinum, perhaps made accessible after a high number of failed tries, or on a long cooldown, so people don't just whale it to 25.

Bottom line is, I play games for fun, not for a feeling of accomplishment through making these tests. To me the mastery tests are but a source of chagrin and a waste of time, and when getting older, time gets a bit more valuable than some badge for your e-peen.

On 20.8.2017 at 4:05 AM, Netninja007 said:

I see the powers were disabled, not fair to new players. On top of the 24 hour thing has to go or it's going to really kill people playing it. Made a game fun to play more like taking a school test. I want a challenge but not a thing to piss me off to the point I want to throw my computer. Been playing over two months and unlocked almost all the planets and at mastery 7 but 8 is just ridiculous with 24 hour wait. I think this is one of the most awesome games out there and even bought a few credit s awhile back...going to uninstall soon maybe :(

indeed not fair!!! i want more hard tests too!!! all my 24 tests were WAY too easy - i demant a proper challenge!

oh, that wasn't your point here, eh? oh well...