Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Reasonable Mag Tweaks

Sajochi

Mag's Deluxe skin is releasing soon, which means we're probably going to see a lot of rework threads for her since a good portion of the community still doesn't seem to understand exactly how she works. Mag is in an alright state currently, but needs just a bit more to round out her kit.

Let's look at her pros:

- Lots of built in CC, allowing her to command the pace of battle with ease

- High amounts of utility coupled with dps

- Ability to fit into most roles with ease

- Has an active kit that emphasizes not just her mobility, but can be done in combos, increasing versatility

Cons

- Low energy pool for a caster 

- Without shield gating, she's paper

- 3 abilities have augments that feel like they should be added to the base ability

- She has an outdated meme attached to her that no longer holds ground, but the community still holds onto like it's the gospel

Now this isn't a guide to teach you how to play some Mag. That's coming soon from me in a different way. This is more what Mag actually needs to finish her current kit without making her the old overpowered mess that got chain nerfed. 

1. Greedy Pull changed completely to an energy restore (Not relying on a kill, but by enemies affected), or a way for Mag to pull armor off enemies and put it on herself in some way,  via Damage Reduction they scales with strength, or a hp shield

2. Pull either getting back the enemies stopping at Mag's feet, or stopping in Magnetize bubbles, like a big jello. I forget the exact reason enemies no longer stop at her feet, but it would be an appreciated mechanic to come back for consistency. 

3. Magnetize pull strength scaling with power strength. It feels bad when enemies waltz out like it ain't a giant death bubble. 

4. Polarize shards getting more interactions, even if it just means Crush gets more damage per shard.

5. A higher energy pool. Mag uses a lot of combos, getting her every starved very easily. A base 150 wouldn't be too much although ideally she should get a base 180 energy pool. In total, to do a full rotation with 4 bubbles without any efficiency mods costs 400 energy, which means you can only do this once from full and rely on many energy regen tactics if you want to do it more. She is a caster frame, her energy should be high. 

That's pretty much it. The reason I'm asking for a greedy pull change is that the augment has become too niche for use and what contributed to the nerf chains. It's a poorly designed augment that doesn't have a place anymore. The other three augments are ok, but at least they are optional and have very clear benefits to slotting them. 

That is all, thank you. 

Edited by Sajochi

20 minutes ago, Sajochi said:

- She has an outdated meme attached to her that no longer holds ground, but the community still holds onto like it's the gospel

I've seen this referenced before, but never actually spelled out clearly. What the Hek are you talking about here?

FWIW, my thoughts from another recent Mag topic:

3 hours ago, NinjaZeku said:

Polarize is a permanent, mass Armor shred, that's useful against Grineer (and more) at any level.

Also, I really don't get why nobody else seems able to easily kill Grineer groups with it
like I'm doing at just +25% Strength (and 235% Range, delivering huge bursts). It seriously perplexes me.

The only thing that really needs looking at IMO is its performance against Infested,
along with making its Augment useful against all Factions and giving Overshields to other players.

Crush I find to do its job ~well enough, it's a simple non-LOS nuke, with some CC, and a scaling Augment. Neat.
Mind you, I certainly wouldn't be opposed to some added benefits, heh.

Magnetize though should be "equalized" in that you'll get significant contributions to its DOT and burst
no matter the weapon you're using, currently there's a definite "best" weapon list.

And yeah, her Passive ... lol

5 minutes ago, NinjaZeku said:

I've seen this referenced before, but never actually spelled out clearly. What the Hek are you talking about here?

Basically, it's the parroting of "Mag is Trash" after she got chain nerfed for devaluing gameplay. She went from cookie clicker to only useful in corpus missions, where any other mission was suicide. 

After her rework, she can fight three factions easily and provide way more utility. Even with her kit being good, the community just will not let go of the meme and instead of discussing anything Mag related, won't even bother because apparently her being trash is a fact. Look at Reddit, anything Mag related gets drowned out by the meme. Really hard to find anyone that actively wants to discuss Mag.

And your other points hold ground. She needs an answer for infested. Which is why I want magnetize pull strength to actually hold enemies in place besides the target. Would make it easier to deal with those monstrosities. 

Magnetize equalization might be a bug fix. The interactions are just weird and either needs clarification or tweaks to have consistent performance. 

Ah okay, thank you for explaining.

I guess those comments never really stuck with me (also I don't use Reddit much at all),
having actually used Mag myself both as a stupid OP Corpus nuke and after the rework, she seemed still plenty powerful / fun to me
so e.g. Brozime starting one of his videos with "Mag is dead" just made me go, "lol here's someone I know never to bother listening to" :P

It's kinda in the same lane as "Oberon is a useless jack of all trades" when I always had fun / was doing more than fine using him,
never feeling regret over him having been my first-crafted Frame, or the one I went through the Second Dream with. *shrug*