Whispers in the Walls: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

PBR and Proto Excalibur: Before and After!

[DE]Rebecca

Hello all - a quick update from PBR world!

As you know, our goal is to transition every Warframe to PBR - physically based rendering.

What is PBR?
Here is some light reading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physically_based_rendering

Why does it matter in Warframe?
We have some Warframes that are currently not using PBR. If you look at your regular Rhino in your Arsenal and compare that to regular Excalibur, you can see a different in quality of the frame textures.

What does the Proto Excalibur Skin have to do with this?
If you are a believer in fashion frame, read on. Converting Warframes to PBR - especially Warframes with metallic details - means we need to make decisions on how to allow tinting of those metallics. Proto Excalibur boasts quite a lot of metallic details which we now have to assign a tint to!

Please take a look at the Before & After shots below of how your Fashion Frame may need adjusting when this change rolls out. Be ready to adapt and embrace a PBR overhaul in your Proto Excalibur Wardrobe, Tenno!

BEFORE PBR:

BEFORE.jpg

AFTER PBR:

AFTER.jpg

This will roll out in the near future - stay tuned for Update notes!

• Like 22

31 minutes ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Hello all - a quick update from PBR world!

As you know, our goal is to transition every Warframe to PBR - physically based rendering.

What does the Proto Excalibur Skin have to do with this?
If you are a believer in fashion frame, read on. Converting Warframes to PBR - especially Warframes with metallic details - means we need to make decisions on how to allow tinting of those metallics. Proto Excalibur boasts quite a lot of metallic details which we now have to assign a tint to!

This will roll out in the near future - stay tuned for Update notes!

DOES THIS MEAN NYX NEMESIS ISN'T FAR BEHIND?! COME ON REB, YOU KNOW YOU NEED IT!!!!

@[DE]Rebecca Hey Rebs, would you mind posting the skin on PBR using the following scheme, which is how the tint channels work by themselves?

Primary: Red
Secondary: Green
Tertiary: Blue
Accents: Magenta

Just like this:
Warframe2391.jpg
Warframe2392.jpg

There is something I want to double check and this would help about it because I'm imagining you're merging some tints here, am I right?

3 minutes ago, NightmareT12 said:

@[DE]Rebecca Hey Rebs, would you mind posting the skin on PBR using the following scheme, which is how the tint channels work by themselves?

Primary: Red
Secondary: Green
Tertiary: Blue
Accents: Magenta

Just like this:
Warframe2391.jpg
Warframe2392.jpg

There is something I want to double check and this would help about it because I'm imagining you're merging some tints here, am I right?

Secondary + Accent are merging, as far as I can tell.

3 minutes ago, Navarchus said:

Secondary + Accent are merging, as far as I can tell.

If that's the case then it should be all good -- they use slightly different colors by default, which means a different material, if possible, on the old Accents would take care of the contrast.

Edited by NightmareT12

4 minutes ago, NightmareT12 said:

If that's the case then it should be all good -- they use slightly different colors by default, which means a different material, if possible, on the old Accents would take care of the contrast.

The proto-arm and abs are going to be a tint-mask divided between Primary and Accent. You can see this in the screenshot Rebecca posted

Edited by DarkDullahan-Prime

Just now, DarkDullahan-Prime said:

The proto-arm is going to be a tint-mask divided between Primary and Accent. You can see this in the screenshot Rebecca posted

Guess you mean it kind of fades/transitions from elbow to the hand? I thought it could be the metallics themselves reflecting light. That's why I wanted the actual colors -- it's so easy to spot those things!

Just now, NightmareT12 said:

Guess you mean it kind of fades/transitions from elbow to the hand? I thought it could be the metallics themselves reflecting light. That's why I wanted the actual colors -- it's so easy to spot those things!

Mostly only in the abs. The arm looks primarily Accent-based, the abs have segments that share the burnt sienna color that is on the Primary. 

3 minutes ago, DarkDullahan-Prime said:

Mostly only in the abs. The arm looks primarily Accent-based, the abs have segments that share the burnt sienna color that is on the Primary. 

I'm pretty sure that the abs are simply reflecting the light... We'll know soonTM I guess.

EDIT: Actually there seems to be some brownish in there, yup.

Edited by NightmareT12