The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Opticor build, to crit or not to crit

moose2142

Question

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1133221400

I recently got this riven mod, 211.8% damage, 103.3% multishot

Most builds I have seen say "DON'T CRIT, NOT RELIABLE ENOUGH!!!"

95% of missions has me running an adarza kavat, alongside my friends who run theirs. So cats eye (60% crit chance) is on us more often than it is not.

With point strike my opticor has 50% chance (110% with cats eye), and vital strike has 5.5 multiplier. I almost always am hitting yellow, sometimes orange crits.

The main issue is mod space. If I use riven + vital sense + pointstrike + heavy caliber + serration + split chamber + vile acceleration = 1 mod slot left

Here is the question. With reliable crits happening, is it better to forgo the elemental mods and throw bladed rounds (on kill 120% crit damage while aiming) or piercing caliber (120% puncture)

17 answers to this question

I would just put this riven, serration + 2 elemental mods + 2 crit mods, vile acceleration and piercing caliber. This will bring you to about 35k damage mostly in elemental and puncture. I have a very similar build myself. My does only 1k pure damage less but has the same crit damage and chance - 50% 5.5x.

To compare that to a build you suggested with piercing caliber - 36k damage and 33k is puncture. I would pick a elemental combo over puncture in this case. Matching elemental combo will do much more damage than 1k more and full puncture.

Take ferrite armour for example, with 17k puncture and 16.5k corrosive you deal 54kish base damage, with 33k puncture you deal 49k. Thats why elemental combo matters.

My idea is to use rivens as better replacemants for core mods, like split chamber here. Adding more +damage and +multishot past the point where serration+heavy caliber brings you is only a waste of space for me. Past that point its better to put mods that are building on top of the base damage like elemental and crit mods.

+ If you have a build with about the same level of phisical and elemental damage on top of insane weapon like Opticor you can take it to both sortie conditions that buff either phisical resistances and damage of enemies or elemental. I use it that way.

Edited by Xardis

Just now, Cyborg-Rox said:

Heh, I got insanely lucky with the Riven I unveiled for it. Rolled it a few times and got 231% crit chance and 224% damage. With Point Strike that's 96% Crit Chance :>

lucky lucky! 

22 minutes ago, Xardis said:

I would just put this riven, serration + 2 elemental mods + 2 crit mods, vile acceleration and piercing caliber. This will bring you to about 35k damage mostly in elemental and puncture. I have a very similar build myself. My does only 1k pure damage less but has the same crit damage and chance - 50% 5.5x.

To compare that to a build you suggested with piercing caliber - 36k damage and 33k is puncture. I would pick a elemental combo over puncture in this case. Matching elemental combo will do much more damage than 1k more and full puncture.

You 100% correct, I was on the fence about that but I really do need elements. 

This is my opticor build

https://gyazo.com/dede8c82731251bee43acf2922b3e817

as you can see, it focuses on insane damage thanx to the piercing caliber mod. The amount of puncture it gets is just absolutely ridiculous and i love it, it one shots nearly everything 10 times over with headshots. The riven has 257.2% raw damage and 246.2% critical chance, so i crit nearly all of the times. I do not use point strike because in order to use it, i need to either remove vile acceleration or heavy caliber, and is not worth it imo.

On 11.09.2017 at 10:23 PM, Zoknahal said:

This is my opticor build

https://gyazo.com/dede8c82731251bee43acf2922b3e817

as you can see, it focuses on insane damage thanx to the piercing caliber mod. The amount of puncture it gets is just absolutely ridiculous and i love it, it one shots nearly everything 10 times over with headshots. The riven has 257.2% raw damage and 246.2% critical chance, so i crit nearly all of the times. I do not use point strike because in order to use it, i need to either remove vile acceleration or heavy caliber, and is not worth it imo.

In your place I would replace Heavy Caliber with Vital Sense. This will lower your pure damage from ~49k to ~37k but if you crit you will deal ~203.5k, your current build does ~122.5k. With this riven, Vital sense would still be better than Heavy caliber even before the buff to crit stats of Opticor from 15% 2x to 20% 2.5x.

Edited by Xardis

On 9/12/2017 at 12:11 AM, SenorClipClop said:

Oof! With stats like that, does it really even matter what the rest of your build is? That's just silly! :clem: 

You would think so, but a Grineer Napalm in sortie 3 physical enhancement tanked 3 head shots, blew both his mind and my own. Since the opticor is known for one shotting all things, I want to take that to 11 hahahaha

Primed Bane in place of Heavy Cal, you have diminishing returns on +%Damage.

Piercing Caliber is an ok one slot mod since the weapon doesn't have reliable status rates but you can also replace Split Chamber and use 90%x2, this will be slightly better damage when you get a +75% health type modifier (Corrosive Vs Ferrite) but worse when you don't. As an added bonus to using Elementals you can choose to hurt Alloy using Radiation much more than Piercing Cal can regardless.

(Piercing Caliber)  https://goo.gl/9Co3N7  200k Vs Ferrite, 155k Vs Alloy

(90%x2 Corrosive)  https://goo.gl/9Co3N7  215k Vs Ferrite, 138k Vs Alloy

90%x2 Radiation)   https://goo.gl/vq5eKs  152k Vs. Ferrite, 200k Vs Alloy

...and Yes Crit.

Crit not only has better avg damage but it has massively more damage when you head-crit. It's also not as unreliable as I guess some are claiming (Old Builds?) 50% Crit chance is rolled for each bullet or beam in this case. With 103% Multishot on Riven and Split Chamber's 90% you will have 2.93 hits per shot at 50% chance to crit each which is an 87% probably of at least one hit landing as a crit.

On 2017-09-11 at 9:34 PM, moose2142 said:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1133221400

I recently got this riven mod, 211.8% damage, 103.3% multishot

Most builds I have seen say "DON'T CRIT, NOT RELIABLE ENOUGH!!!"

95% of missions has me running an adarza kavat, alongside my friends who run theirs. So cats eye (60% crit chance) is on us more often than it is not.

With point strike my opticor has 50% chance (110% with cats eye), and vital strike has 5.5 multiplier. I almost always am hitting yellow, sometimes orange crits.

The main issue is mod space. If I use riven + vital sense + pointstrike + heavy caliber + serration + split chamber + vile acceleration = 1 mod slot left

Here is the question. With reliable crits happening, is it better to forgo the elemental mods and throw bladed rounds (on kill 120% crit damage while aiming) or piercing caliber (120% puncture)

.....Hunter Munitions. THank me later.

Why are you even using Heavy Caliber when your riven is + Damage? Diminishing returns kick in.

As everyone says, just slot in the 2x Elementals and swap out the Heavy Cal for the Riven. It just works like that.