Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Atlas Rework As Suggested By Brozime (Plus my additions)

OtakuOVA9K

Hello everyone here in Warframe Forums. Hope all of you are receiving RNGesus's blessing in your never ending quest to be the very best to grind them is your cause.

Pokemon jokes aside my post is a simple one and something that many people have talked about before. Atlas's Rework. So for any of you who hasn't seen Brozime's latest video on Youtube on his idea what Atlas's rework should be I highly suggest you watch it for this post is pretty much entirely based on that. I'll leave a link to his video at the end of this so you can go check it out. For those of you who've already watched it you'll already know what I'm about to go through. But of course I'm going to go through it as best I can. Also note that this post does not just entail Brozime's suggestions for Atlas's rework but also my own ideas as well as an addition to his. Also note that I did comment my suggestion in that video but I'll try and elaborate a bit more here when needed. And lastly, before I FINALLY start talking about what you all clicked to see. The purpose of this post is to possibly and hopefully catch DE's eye (much like every post here) so they may have this to work off of. Heck maybe make Atlas's rework entirely based on it. Because we all know that when it comes to reworks DE struggles a bit the first or so times around before they get it right. Now with that said and done LET"S BEGIN!

First lets briefly go over Brozime's suggestions on how Atlas should be changed:

Passive - Currently a solid passive. "One of the best in the game". No needed changes.

1st Ability - Currently a solid ability. No major changes other than increased power range increases dash distance. Currently locked to 15m

2nd Ability - So here comes the first major changes in Atlas's kit. Brozime suggests that instead of having Tectonics as a purely defensive ability and being that Atlas is the "punch people in the face" Frame (my words not his) make it so that this ability has synergy with his 1. How it works: Summon Tectonics aka Rock Wall and then punch it with Landslide (1st Ability) this transfers the damage of Landslide + the health of the wall into a "shotgun" blast of rocks in a cone.

Sounds pretty freakin nice so far however I have some additions to this myself. So as I said in the Youtube comments I always thought of Atlas as an Earthbender from the show Avatar: Last Airbender. Which is were I get some of my ideas from. I like how if I activate Tectonics again I get to turn it into a bolder that rolls out at enemies and then explodes. I want to keep this mechanic in there but slightly redesigned. Lets make it so that when you activate Tectonics again you instead punch or kick (maybe alternate between both) the wall at enemies. The wall turns into a flying boulder that does forms of CC like Stun or Knockdown on impact. This wouldn't be necessarily for damage but as again a form of crowd control.

3rd Ability - Now this was the last ability that Brozime covered as he wanted to go in more depth with this ability. Now originally i thought he said that he would rather have Petrify's effects non existent. Which after watching his video couple more times I realize what he meant when he said "Making it so that Atlas isn't doing Petrify would definitely be the ideal". Essentially he doesn't want Atlas himself performing Petrify. Which segues into Brozime's suggested change for this ability. So, instead of performing the ol' hunched over medusa stare... OF DEATH. Which limited you mobility while locking you in this "animation" which in turn took you out of the fight you summon an obelisk. This stone obelisk will perform the Petrify effect (like a pulsing aura I would imagine) in a 7m AoE and additionally can heal Tectonics, Rumblers, and your Rumbler Armor (more on that later). The values are of course subject to change but here's what he thinks they should be; Energy 40? Duration: 25? Max Spawn: 2

Now originally when I thought Brozime was talking about removing the Petrify effect I mad the idea that instead of having just an obelisk that does healing why not have another one that is a more optimized version of Petrify. My argument being that Warframes like Vauban and Ivara have 4 variations of the same ability so why not Atlas. Even though my assumption of what Brozime meant was wrong I still think its a good idea that could be implemented. Another thing I want added for this ability and possibly his 2nd ability as well is that I want him to sumo stomp the ground and have these obelisks burst from ground. Its more of an aesthetic thing but as I said before I think of Atlas as an Earthbender so I feel its both appropriate and cool. 

4th Ability - Another major change but very similar to Atlas's 2nd Ability. Brozime states that "The only thing defensive about Atlas is that he can't be damaged while using his 1" which is very true. Atlas looks and sounds like a tanky frame but in reality he isn't really, which is very disappointing and of course misleading. To remedy this Brozime suggests that when you summon your Rumblers (4th Ability) you have the option to use Landslide on them so you can wear them as armor thus gaining their stats such as HP, Armor, and Punch Damage.

Another cool sounding ability that really makes it sound like a real Earthbender. Of course there needs to be a little more detail on how this ability works. I understand this ability is based on the augment that allows Atlas to do this in Conclave. However it makes me think: Should this ability make it so that you are in melee mode like Valkyr and just go around punching people? Or make it so that it only applies when entering "melee equipped" mode, or is your only melee option your 1st ability? Other than that another great idea from Brozime.

And that's it. I hope you guys enjoyed reading this "brief" summary of Brozime's suggested rework for Atlas. I know its a long post and my first one but I think i did a pretty good job. If you have any additional ideas post'em up. It'll be cool to hear what you guys think Atlas should turn into if or when he gets his rework. And of course big thanks to Brozime who came up with the whole rework. He does really make great and informative content and I think he makes one the best Warframe vids out there. Big thank you's for reading the whole thing.

Here's the link to his video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wumGeiUtHE

To be honest, Atlas' kit for the most part is very solid, reliable, useful, and fits his themes well. The only thing I would change / replace would be Petrify. It's kinda useful, but reduces the player to a painfully slow crawl. It's a boring ability and I don't think it would be missed if it were yanked altogether. Admittedly I don't have a clue as to what to replace Petrify with...but I just feel like it's too clunky and dull to leave in.

On the topic of tankiness...Atlas is plenty tanky. He really doesn't need added protection. The real issue with regard to tankiness has nothing to do with Atlas' armor or health, and it's something a lot of people overlook and it affects other 'Frames as well. You can add all the armor in the world to Atlas and it won't do much difference.

Why?

Because Slash weapons and their bleed procs have the ability to randomly give a huge middle finger to armor and completely ignore it and tick away health.

I've said this before in other threads, but I'm going to mention it again and say that this arbitrary mechanic needs to be thrown out the window. Bleed procs should only occur once 1. Shields have been depleted and 2. Armor has been pierced / depleted / overcome so that 3. You're doing damage directly to health.

Against a heavily armored opponent, a Slash-heavy weapon should be at a massive disadvantage in terms of being able to inflict damage and should never be able to make a target bleed unless armor and shields are stripped away.

Honestly Brozime proposed a pretty solid (heh) rework concept. Atlas is all about getting into the thick of the fight, punching his way through all odds and calling his pals when push comes to shove. He has a somewhat set-and-forget playstyle with 2 and 4, and 3 to an extent regarding enemies. All in all, simple yet effective gameplay that Scott envisioned.

But that is not to say there can't exist additional dynamics within the kit to alleviate the boredom of simplicity. Synergy is a good way to up his game, and maybe satisfy the popular demand of Rumbler armor that makes Atlas' up-in-your-face brawling style concrete.

I would like to suggest additional features from the rework foundation Brozime built:

• Atlas can also Landslide to the Tectonics Boulder while it is traveling, causing the rocks to explode outward in all directions for AoE damage and CC.
  • Landsliding into a Tectonics Bulwark won't destroy it in one go, instead taking out a chunk of its health per punch (e.g. 30%) to perform rock shotgun blasts.
    • This is designed with Landslide's combos in mind. Also allowing him to make multiple uses out of a single Bulwark, pelting enemies with shrapnel from behind cover.
  • Petrify Obelisks can also be punched with Landslide to instantly destroy them, while letting out a radial wave that instantly freezes enemies in range into solid rock, plus healing Tectonics Bulwarks, Rumblers, and your Rumbler armor for a large chunk of health instantly.
    • This doubles as a way to selectively remove an Obelisk while keeping the other one active where you last put it.
    • Assuming that enemies still gradually turn into rock like the current ability. Your choice of leaving an Obelisk in place to do its CC over a longer duration, or to stop all enemies around you right now from moving.
    • Gradual healing vs burst healing for your assets.
  • Rumbler armor can explode for damage and CC when you press 4 again.

@MirageKnight: Thanks for your reply and I agree very much with the issues you brought up regarding tankiness. It didn't come immediately to mind that Slash procs are incredibly overpowered towards armor as we've seen time and time again when testing weapons in the Simulacrum. However, though I believe tanky builds for Atlas exist I don't feel there are easy access builds. Usually requiring Arcanes and such to make them viable.

So, though you are correct I still believe that Atlas needs SOMETHING to make him feel and/or play more tanky. When we look at who we think are the most tanky frames in the game we most likely think of Nidus, Inaros, Wukong, Valkyr, and Rhino. Probably in that order (In a surface perspective of who's tankier). Well, Nidus and Wukong aren't necessarily tanky but that they have more suriviability via healing/revival factors and damage mitigation. Giving perceived tankiness which works very well. Then we have Warframes like Valkyr and Rhino who don't take damage when certain abilities are activated allowing them to play and feel more like an actual tank. Course we have Inaros who I feel represents the middle of these two sides.

At first glance or introduction you think Atlas looks and sounds like he would be a tanky frame. Heck, I think we all agree that he would need to being that he's a brawler who likes to get close and personal. Punching out any enemies who think that they can take him on and Atlas in my opinion doesn't feel or play that way. Initially yes, when you first get Atlas it does very much feel like that is the case at first but as you move on to greater levels it becomes very apparent that it is not so. Now I'm not trying to say that Atlas isn't playable by any means nor that he's not viable for certain missions or anything similar to that degree. However I strongly believe he needs improvements to make what we think he was destined to be.

But going back to the initial discussion of tankiness. What is it really what we want or what we're looking for? Well I don't know about you but I want Atlas in terms of tankiness to lean towards frames like Rhino (maybe Inaros). So yeah, the armor stat has it's issues but I feel it has proven its self in numerous occasions to be a great asset when fighting stronger enemies and even surviving in higher level missions. Excluding "End Game" cause what doesn't one shot you at that point lol. Regardless your argument has gotten me thinking on how Atlas should be approached when making him more tank-like (like having abilities similar to Iron Skin) and I thank you for that.

I sincerely do appreciate the feedback. My hope is that we can collectively create a plausible rework concept for Atlas that DE will be intrigued by, liked, and considered. And maybe I being to hopeful here but even chosen or picked. Course we all know that Brozime made the raw material but I feel as a community we can take our chisels and sculpt our perfect Atlas out of what Brozime provided.

Atlas is supposed to be an immovable mountain, a master of earth and stone. If that's not a tank then I don't know what is.

@PsiWarp : Thank you for your reply and awesome additions. Really dude amazing ideas that I feel can easily be added in and make Atlas really fun to play. It reminds me of other MMOs where you can make a brawler class that can combo onto and into other abilities.

Your 1st addition - Now I could be wrong but correct me if I am but assuming that you are adding onto what I suggested when using Tectonics twice (2+2=punch/kick rock wall at enemies as a boulder) you then aim at the general direction of said boulder and use Landslide thus dashing into, as well as  punching the boulder projectile causing the desired effects mentioned. So in hindsight an ability cast combo presented as this (2+2=Boulder Projectile + 1 = Destroy Projectile causing extra AoE and CC). Now if you are referring Atlas's current boulder travel ability then the same concept would apply as well as the combo cast presented. But I think the first one where both of our additions combined would be a lot cooler. 

Your 2nd Addition - I feel this idea should be either an augment for Brozime's suggestion or its own ability making Brozime's suggestion the augment. I personally like both so DE take the wheel.

Your 3rd Addition - I LOVE this addition. this gives Atlas additional versatility on top of what Brozime already suggested. If this is added along with Brozime's (with the option of my idea of making 2 separate obelisks; 1 for healing, 1 for petrify) then this ability would be absolutely perfect. Completely solid...LIKE A ROCK!

Your 4th Addition - This is a simple addition but a very good and much needed one. Not much to say other than that it make sense and should totally be added as well.

Again amazing job. These additions make sense to have and really adds into the fun factor. Which I think represent the core value of Warframe.

On 9/13/2017 at 2:41 PM, PsiWarp said:

Honestly Brozime proposed a pretty solid (heh) rework concept. Atlas is all about getting into the thick of the fight, punching his way through all odds and calling his pals when push comes to shove. He has a somewhat set-and-forget playstyle with 2 and 4, and 3 to an extent regarding enemies. All in all, simple yet effective gameplay that Scott envisioned.

But that is not to say there can't exist additional dynamics within the kit to alleviate the boredom of simplicity. Synergy is a good way to up his game, and maybe satisfy the popular demand of Rumbler armor that makes Atlas' up-in-your-face brawling style concrete.

I would like to suggest additional features from the rework foundation Brozime built:

• Atlas can also Landslide to the Tectonics Boulder while it is traveling, causing the rocks to explode outward in all directions for AoE damage and CC.
  • Landsliding into a Tectonics Bulwark won't destroy it in one go, instead taking out a chunk of its health per punch (e.g. 30%) to perform rock shotgun blasts.
    • This is designed with Landslide's combos in mind. Also allowing him to make multiple uses out of a single Bulwark, pelting enemies with shrapnel from behind cover.
  • Petrify Obelisks can also be punched with Landslide to instantly destroy them, while letting out a radial wave that instantly freezes enemies in range into solid rock, plus healing Tectonics Bulwarks, Rumblers, and your Rumbler armor for a large chunk of health instantly.
    • This doubles as a way to selectively remove an Obelisk while keeping the other one active where you last put it.
    • Assuming that enemies still gradually turn into rock like the current ability. Your choice of leaving an Obelisk in place to do its CC over a longer duration, or to stop all enemies around you right now from moving.

This I can get behind.

Though I would really hope Atlas' kit get's some much needed visual changes as well. 

Namely just some cracks in the rocks of Bulwark and Rumblers that showcase your Energy Color. I feel it's kind of lame how you only get to see your Energy Color on Atlas' abilities for a few moments at a time.

On a side note, Bulwark should probably have an easier time picking up enemies that are near it (acting somewhat like a mobile Vortex, if you will), and enemies caught up in it should add to the Bulwarks explosion damage via how many are in it.

If we're going to be looking at his Rumblers, I'd also like them to stick far closer to Atlas as a whole, with you being able to restrict them to a small zone around his 3's Obelisks, for example. As while they're good ways to draw aggro, they can just go all over the place without you being able to control them at all. Along with that, some more synergy between them and him would be appreciated. I'd make it so they also benefit from Atlas' current Melee mods and Combo Counter (so, if you go any higher in your combo after casting, they don't receive the extra combo counter buffs, but they keep the previous one for the Duration of the cast), and every time they hit an enemy, they add 1 hit to Atlas' Combo Counter, just to make it a little easier to stay out of Melee if you wish while still offering something to your 1. Of course, after wearing one, you won't receive their current Combo Counter as well.

His Augments should probably get a once over as well. At least his 2 and 4's augments should, at least. For example, make it so you lose the ability to roll your Bulwarks but gain the ability to stack them like Frost's Snowglobe, for example, along with an increased width per Bulwark affected by Range, so Atlas can work a little better as a hallway hero Defense Warframe. As for his 4's Augment? It really just needs to spam it's aggro attack far more often and gain double the stats of a regular Rumbler (aside from the speed of course), to make up for the fact it's a single one.

Edited by (XB1)Graysmog

14 minutes ago, hazerddex said:

why does atlas even need a rework? the only reason you don't see him as much is because his quest line involves archwing 

Maybe because his 1 is the only really good ability in his entire Kit? Everything else is flat, unscaling damage or unhelpful CC/Aggro drawing.

Tectonics is terrible and ineffective, Petrify makes a slow Warframe EVEN slower (along with taking too long to petrify tougher units), and Atlas' Rumblers are semi-decent until you realize that they're aggro capabilities are pretty lame since they run all over the place, along with them having little to no damage or scalability, especially since you can't control them at all as Atlas. He's also a tank-based Warframe without any tanking abilities, that's not good.

Edited by (XB1)Graysmog

On 9/13/2017 at 5:41 PM, PsiWarp said:

wow this would be awesome.. I really like when people figure out how to make frames Dynamic like the newer frames as opposed to the 1 button heroes of the beginning. 

This rework does nothing to remedy the fact Atlas's kit is balanced around his 1st ability which scales horribly due to the fact it's Impact damage and tickles Armored targets, which all factions have.

He needs to have an innate proc similar to Shattering Impact in order for it to be somewhat viable, and I say somewhat because it doesn't scale with enemy hp thus he would remain a Sortie level frame rather than one you take into endless. 

His walls need to do a better job of protecting either himself or allies or they need to no longer exist. Why does a highly mobile frame that dashes around punching enemies have an ability that requires you to hide behind it to make the best use of it? Volt is also mobile and has a shield but can pick up said shield. Why can't Atlas use his as a form of mobile defense as well?

Edited by Music4Therapy

@Music4Therapy : Thanks for your comment and you bring up a very good point. Atlas's main form of damage is impact which is the weakest of the three main physical damage types. As you stated this doesn't help Atlas in terms of scaling when fighting enemies with high HP and Armor and would need something extra to make him viable. Such as the Shattering Impact effect that you suggested (nice idea btw). All though I kinda agree with your perspective of "Why does a highly mobile frame have abilities that require you to hide" I also disagree. So let's talk about that for bit as to why Atlas has such abilities.

I think we can all agree that the first reason why Atlas has such abilities in the first place is due to his theme. That being a manipulator of rock and stone. I think when most people imagine a character of any kinda who has the ability to control forms of Earth like rock they imagine this character either being more of a defensive, counter type of fighter where they make forms defenses and then retaliate or are a highly aggressive, relentless fighter who is both an immovable force that can't pushed or knockdown. Another thing is that when you considered the theme and representation of elements in general Earth is usually depicted as the defensive type. Now I know I've said this before and I'll probably be considered a weeb for bring it up again but I think Avatar as well as others have kind of help shaped the general idea and standard when we imagine a rock manipulating character. Including what they do and how they are.

So what do we have right now with Atlas. Well, not much to be honest. He only really has two actual earth manipulating abilities: Tectonics and Rumblers. Which is disappointing to the say the least seeing it meets below the overall ideal of what we generally consider an earth user. But with the rework that Brozime suggested along with the additions voiced so far I think Atlas's new kit will be more fun, more optimal, and more akin to what we expect when we imagine an earth user. Course this rework is not perfect by any means, at least not yet as you presented a very glaring issue.

So, in my opinion I think this rework for Atlas we'll have players have a more active gaming experience as they manage and use their abilities in addition to having more fun doing them. Such as building up rock walls to us them as shotguns or kick/punch them into boulders that fly at enemies and also having the option to Landslide into said flying boulder to increase the damage and CC even further. Definitely a more engaging experience don't you think?

Though that is not the issue you are concerned with. Your main gripes right now is the ineffectiveness of Impact damage and Atlas's current kit not making up its mine if it wants you to play defensively or offensively which I can greatly understand. Though unfortunately I have no real ideas or solutions to make impact more effective for Atlas other than building upon your idea of using an effect that resembles Shattering Impact to remove enemy armor. However regarding your confusion or desire for Atlas to be more of a high mobility fighter I think augments can be the solution using Brozime's rework as a base of course. Now I have no augment ideas right now that can make this a thing but I feel the possibility is there. I'll try and think of some and if I come up with any ideas I'll post them here.

Thanks again for your input it really sheds light on something that should've been immediately apparent. Something that never really came across my mind at first which I seem to be noticing more and more when someone like you comments. Its really nice to think that with every critical comment we cover our bases more and more when making or compiling something like a rework for a frame. I can only hope that DE will take notice and consider what it said here.

@OtakuOVA9K

Well luckily for us there is a similar frame, Volt. Similar in that they both have some CC, are/can be highly mobile, and both use a wall of some sort as a form of defense.

Volt, unlike Atlas, can move around with his shield to supplement his mobile playstyle.. albeit at a cost. I think Atlas could use a similar formula for success, being able to either place the wall or use it to shield him from damage if he decides to pick it up. Allies as well with the augment which allows him to place multiple walls. Perhaps instead of carrying a big rock wall around like Volt does his shield he could instead use it to enhance his base defenses and provide him with said Shattering Impact proc for a duration.

On top of that, I agree his current 3rd needs to be changed although I would like it to continue to raise loot drops via the augment. If there is anything DE can learn from the playerbase, these channeled cone abilities ala Atlas's 3 and Chroma's 1, are strongly disapproved of by the playerbase due to them not possibly being powerful enough to compensate for the inability to due much at all while they are active for minimal reward in comparison to frames that can do similar effects without the negatives.

Edited by Music4Therapy

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutly love you slight change to petrfy being the vauben/ivata 4 cycle, i love those abilites the first time i got ivara i was in such awe eith the varity you could do. It really was awesome, maybe split each of the obilisk effects to a single one ie:

1-Healing obilisk, heals all things stated including atlas and other warframes by a smaller margin (affected by power strangth) 

2-Petrfying obilisk, i just recently read another suggestion on atlas that gave his petrfy a 3 combo scaling mechanic ie: pulse 1 slows by 50% pulse 2 slows by 75% and pulse 3 completely stuns them. I think this would be amazing here as it will add with scaling and aesthetic.

3-Armor obilisk, this one will be pretty simple, as long as it's up it'll buff everyones armor including summons, specters, operators, everything. Obviously the buff itself would scale according to what is reciving it. Ie operator armor scaling would be lessened but would be great for upcoming PoE 

4-i think this should be his ability augment with some tweaks, obviously scanning is useless in a sense unless you are a completioness, however i suggest a added benefit, this should have the similar thing to helios "Detect Vulnerability" so you can get weak spots on enermies, given it takes abit of work but it would really add to the sense you atlas is getting stronger and remove a augment allowing something more fitting to the new obilisk mechanic. 

Now that i've made it through all the obilisks, i'm no mathamaticen so how to balance this, don't ask me, but i feel that these should not have duration at all, they should have a health pool, this will also allow for more min-maxing or buildability in general without having to worry "dam now my obilisks are useless cause i like useing this" 

As a added bonus i feel if he has all 4 obilisks up there should be a added bonus, maybe something big maybe not, something like the first time the 4th is spawned all summonables gain invunarability for x duration. Adding to the survivabiility late game. 

• 3 weeks later...

I think that Atlas' abilities, on the whole, are very solid. All the ideas you suggested are very good, but we need to focus on a few things:

Making his damage scale with enemy level

Making petrify quicker and more viable

Allowing him to be a BRAWLER and therefore making his armor scale into late game.

I think Atlas is mostly fine as is, but I do have some thoughts on how he could be better.

First and foremost is Petrify, since it's the most problematic. It's a simple fix though. Make it a normal use ability instead of channeled. Press the button, FLASH, and the enemy is petrified. Tougher enemies only suffer a brief interrupt (Y'know, like an Impact proc), but are also PARTIALLY petrified around the legs, so while they can still attack, they can't MOVE. A second flash would then petrify them properly.

Next is Tectonics. Making it roll as a boulder is honestly pretty hard to use, and very slow. So here's my thinking. Tapping the button puts up the wall. HOLDING the button instead has him just THROW the rocks as a massive boulder at something, which then explodes for damage. Similar to how Rumblers throw rocks, but on a more grand scale. Also, holding the button to throw while standing next to a wall will pick up and throw that wall instead of costing energy, since y'all already spent it.

The Augment for Tectonics also honestly sucks. I'd swap it out for(Or more likely ADD, since there's little point in removing it as content) an Aug that changes it to basically the Rumbled mod. Tapping now gives you the rock armor, and while it's active, your melee attacks are replaced by super rock punches. Like Landslide, but without a dash and probably less damage since they're free.

And as for Rumblers, they're magnificent. Except it'd be nice if they exploded when the duration ran out, rather than just when killed or manually dismissed. I can dismiss them with a second left on the duration to make them explode, just make them explode when duration runs out too!

And that's about it. He's referred to as the LORD of earthly elementals, and this would let him be a little closer to being Big King Rumbler. More punching, more rock, more boulder-tossing like you're a Tank from Left 4 Dead.