Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Devstream #98 Overview

AM-Bunny

4 minutes ago, IceColdHawk said:

I think you don't realize that having energy overflow made things so much better and open alot of doors in terms of what you could do with a frame. It made playing caster frames an actual option. It allowed for not always playing for max. efficiency.

Neither am i going to simply accept and adapt to this nor am i going to die because of that. I will simply find a solution together with other tenno through feedback (just like with the nullifier changes or further oberon rework tweaks) so that we can all safely enjoy a freshed up focus system without having to suffer.

It would be interesting if they expanded on 'Energy refund' mechanics for certain caster type Warframes. Saryn, for instance, is quite an Energy glutton, but has the ability to restore her own energy by killing Spore'd enemies with Toxic Lash.

This small amount for a niche action doesn't really offset her Energy consumption, but I think it is an interesting train of thought that these Warframes could find beneficial if it's expanded upon.

Either way, I don't think Energy Overflow was really healthy for the game as it was, even if it did enable certain playstyles. I'm glad we'll be able to at least go to the table and discuss new alternatives.

18 minutes ago, Kaotyke said:

Nothing. Adapt or Die.

So much dependance on 1 thing... Its a different kind of power spam all over again.

Buddy I've got 2 Arcane Energize sets. I'm not worried about me. I want the player experience to be *consistent* for everyone. Casting abilities is a part of the game, and with the artifical difficulty of leeches and magnetic procs, some frames having their kits turned off doesn't really have anything to do with adapting.

Edited by Neightrix

Everybody complaining about Energy Overflow and I'm here thinking:
"what if, because of the timezone, I miss the streamers doing the achievement (who will be doing the quest the moment the update drops) and because of that, I will not get the sigil?" 
Also, we were fine before Energy Overflow, we will be fine after it's gone

2 minutes ago, Kinetos said:

Yup, crutches are gone, so now they can fix the broken leg instead of leaving us on crutches maybe. 

I didn't see any mention of Corrosive Projection and restores being removed so I guess its a certain crutches are disliked rather than all.

3 minutes ago, Neightrix said:

Buddy I've got 2 Arcane Energize set. I'm not worried about me. I want the player experience to be *consistent* for everyone. Casting abilities is a part of the game, and with the artifical difficulty of leeches and magnetic procs, some frames having their kits turned off doesn't have anything to do with adapting.

200.gif

Casting frames, especially Mag with low energy pool is going to get obliterated. You will HAVE to have energize to make pull relevant for your energy restoring, and I cannot even imagine a frame like Vauban who cannot restore energy at all.

Edited by --Q--Voltage

30 minutes ago, AM-Bunny said:

None of the old Focus system will remain -- Energy Overflow and Shadow Step are gone

So, endgame is completely nerfed. Again. Makes me think DE hates their endurance players.

Actually, that's not quite accurate. It would be more accurate to say the DE has a deep and eternal loathing for anyone and everyone who wants to stay past rotation 4 in any mission on the map. That they have a complete and utter disdain for those whoe wish to only use one Derelict key to farm the mutagen samples for Hema, or one excavation for the Sibear, or who want to farm radiant relics through endless fissures. That they have no sympathy or compassion towards those who must run their Sorties solo due to poor internet connection, and no respect for the years of effort players have put into min-maxing gear around the concept of actually surviving level 200+ enemies.

Thank you, DE, for promising the removal of the two things that made farming bearable.

I have a couple of worries about what they have said in the devstream:

1. Will twitch give out more vaulted items? Lowering value of those items and destroying another decent way of obtaining plat.

2. Focus only for the operators. The game play for warrior mode better be good and i hope it will have uses outside of the plains. So hopefully it won't be only used for fighting eidolons. Also it's a shame they are scrapping everything. Instant revive was awesome ability and the two op abilities could just received a small nerf...

3. New arcanes focusing on warrior mode. Same concern as the number 2. Is the game play going to be fun, how much are we going to be using it. When you go into survival/exterminate/spy missions

4. Also i'm not sure if i understood correctly but the arcanes will still be bound on cosmetics, operator armor. Are we still going to need distilers and is this only for the arcanes you can get in the plains, while others from raids are going to stay on syandanas?

4 minutes ago, --Q--Voltage said:

Do not forget that it made EV alot less "essential". If I could argue any point, it would be that this game will become pre focus Draco with everyone needing an EV in their squads because they do not use energize + dog, or have max efficiency. The "haha crutches are gone" mentality is quitew stupid and shows how blind you are to the problems that will arise.

They can gut zenurik for all i care. As long as we get a way to have passive energy regen, outside of the aura that only gives a measly amount of course, it'll be totally fine. I don't want to imagine playing chroma again without energize or passive energy regen. Again because playing chroma before focus and without carrier was impossible. And with carrier it was extremely rough keeping up the energy especially with leech eximii around or when you have to melee a nullifier.

1 minute ago, AM-Bunny said:

Either way, I don't think Energy Overflow was really healthy for the game as it was, even if it did enable certain playstyles. I'm glad we'll be able to at least go to the table and discuss new alternatives.

All i know is that energy overflow overall increased my enjoyment and kept it up for a LONG time. Judging by the amount of negative responses, shocks and also upvotes given on certain posts in certain threads months and years ago regarding zenurik, i'm definitely far from being alone on that. Either way, i was preaching for a whole focus rework as well. But that doesn't have to mean to remove completely everything. The solution for when only 2 things are good (i will agree that shadow step is broken though) is not killing these 2 things. Anyway, as long as we get an alternative that is not related to focus, things can be still fine. Otherwise i will just see it as playing frames and effectively using abilities will get very frustrating or expensive. And many abilities that are too gimmicky or costy for what they do won't be ever cast again e.G: Null star, ice wave, freeze, fireball, fire blast, silence, tesla, minelayer i could go on and on.

In short: No fun allowed. Only the most useful abilities will get cast just like in the old days of how you needed mods for your abilities and people only had the 3 and 4 on frost or only desecrate on nekros...

3 minutes ago, HerpDerpy said:

I hope they refund our lenses... Iv spent probably 300 plat on lenses and now chances are I wont be wanting to go for zen or narimon anymore. so that basically means 300 plat down the drain.

I don't think they will refund you because they did in game when you mess with focus tell you that the future were in beta and would be changed. It be like complaining at a food subscription for removing your fave item after telling you over a period of months that it will get changed.

1 minute ago, IceColdHawk said:

Only the most useful abilities will get cast just like in the old days of how you needed mods for your abilities and people only had the 3 and 4 on frost or only desecrate on nekros...

Exactly. With a plentiful energy economy, everyone spends energy knowing they can easily get more. With a scarce energy economy, abilities are used either because they are essential, or because they are a last resort.

Octavia comes to mind: No more recasting mallet because it isn't exactly where you want it. No casting Resonator, ever, because it isn't worth the energy cost. Only casting Metronome when your invisibility wears off, rather than as soon as the ability ends. No more casting Amp all over the place, instead only using it when you can afford to.

I don't think DE fully recognizes how important a plentiful energy economy is for Warframe. Without energy, all you have is another horde shooter with a slightly larger weapon pool and slightly more variation in health stats for the characters.

1 minute ago, KubrowTamer said:

I don't think they will refund you because they did in game when you mess with focus tell you that the future were in beta and would be changed. It be like complaining at a food subscription for removing your fave item after telling you over a period of months that it will get changed.

that "beta" message has been there for 2 years.

And its not like that at all.

1. you can just cancel the subscription if they change it.

2. if they removed an item its not like all of a sudden the past 2 years of great meals become worthless.

3. its more like they are changing the food subscription into a tool subscription, but you've already paid for a full year so now they are just sending you random tools instead. Thats not what I signed up for, so I should get a refund and decide if I want to continue my subscription after that. 

18 minutes ago, HerpDerpy said:

I hope they refund our lenses... Iv spent probably 300 plat on lenses and now chances are I wont be wanting to go for zen or narimon anymore. so that basically means 300 plat down the drain.

The lenses are staying and will still be how focus is aquired. The focus tree nodes are what is changing. They will be refunding all focus with the new system so that you can respec for the abilities you want. But fret not for your lenses.

4 minutes ago, HerpDerpy said:

that "beta" message has been there for 2 years.

And its not like that at all.

1. you can just cancel the subscription if they change it.

2. if they removed an item its not like all of a sudden the past 2 years of great meals become worthless.

3. its more like they are changing the food subscription into a tool subscription, but you've already paid for a full year so now they are just sending you random tools instead. Thats not what I signed up for, so I should get a refund and decide if I want to continue my subscription after that. 

Yeah I'd like something like this too. Even if what I get back is some kind of lens voucher that can only be used to rebuy lenses or some other focus related thing. 

Did they mention lenses at all? I'd smash them. Universal focus points spendable on any school would be nicer. 

Just now, (PS4)Tactless_Ninja said:

Already been replaced by Limbo. Freezes enemies completely and regens his own supply.

Just because Limbo is better (which I will not argue, I know he is better than Vauban), doesn't mean that the worse option should not be considered.

This change will further drill Vauban into the ground as a energy hungry CC with no regenerating properties like Limbo has.

Just now, theMongoose said:

The lenses are staying and will still be how focus is aquired. The focus tree nodes are what is changing. They will be refunding all focus with the new system so that you can respec for the abilities you want. But fret not for your lenses.

What I mean is that iv spent all this plat on lenses, but when the update drop they might be useless to me because I don't want to continue grinding down that focus tree.

For all anyone know Vazarin might be the best focus school by far and the only one worth using, so now the plat i spend on zen lenses has gone to wast because theres no reason to use zenuric anymore.

They are answering Question on Reddit right now.  Some of the ones in this thread have been brought up and gotten a response on.  Specifically the Lens refund and energy have gotten a response. 

Lens refund they will consider.  It seems they did not think of that before.

At first for energy they said this. 

"Focus is now about your Operator with very little cross over to your Warframe. So you will have to find alternate means for your energy regen for now."

But after some more questions on it they said this

"We answered something like this earlier, but based on the recurring interest we are definitely looking to include aspects of the loved Focus passives possible in the overhauled Arcanes."

Arcanes can be very flexible if they wanted it to be. There's a lot of leeway there. But going by the current system it doesn't sound very appealing to just shove those old focus powers in there. I've said it before; I think energy overflow should be a universal trait that all Warframes should have. It's like your mana bar. Energy pads are the real crutch.