Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Devstream #98 Overview

AM-Bunny

thanks as always @AM-Bunny, you deserve a mention for the hard work you do!

trying to keep an open mind about the focus rework, if we're losing Energy Overflow and Shadow Step, we need to be given something of equal power in return; giving ALL focus schools a way to get energy back quickly would be adequate enough, though I'm also hoping the rework makes all schools viable in their respective fields. everything else is coming up roses though, and I must contain my hype!

2 hours ago, AM-Bunny said:

Fair, but there's already an entire modding system devoted to Warframes. And Arcanes. One of the main things that they deliberated about with when developing Focus was making it feel like a distinct and separate system. If it simply adds a new way to buff Warframes, it's not particularly innovative. I support it having its own niche in the game.

It will be interesting to see the reaction. I have a very loyal personality so when I chose Naramon after completing Second Dream, I stuck with it -- it just happened to be one of the strongest schools. But I've never used Energy Overflow consequently and gotten by fine without it. It's definitely possible. I drop Energy Pads now and then, but they're easy to come by.

I find it fascinating that you can ABUSE the exact same systems that are being removed with Loki, Ivara, Trinity, etc.

I liked being able to utilize passives that mimicked alternate frame powers, Zenurik and Naramon being the most prominent.

However,

I APPLAUD DE for having the courage to tear the entire Focus house down because it's built on a faulty and redundant foundation.

As I've said before,

Operators are becoming Spec Ops and Warframes are becoming the Living Arsenal.

You don't drop a SEAL team into the middle of a Tank Battle and you don't send a Tank commander and his Batallion on a Black Ops Extraction.  Luckily we get to do both at different times.

once again DE shows their lack of forethought and consideration for THEIR OWN DESIGN DECISIONS

so Focus schools will now be all about giving Operator Mode new abilities, ok that in-an-of-itself isn't a bad idea, BUT they seem to have forgotten you unlock focus in Second Dream and don't get Operator Mode until War Within!!!

10 minutes ago, Jeoxz said:

Now that we have many Warframes that give energy we can leave zenuriks wheelchair.

Until/unless most or all warframes can regain energy on their own, this is like saying, "we've added some people who can walk to our special olympics team, so no more wheelchairs for anyone."

8 minutes ago, Demogarose said:

once again DE shows their lack of forethought and consideration for THEIR OWN DESIGN DECISIONS

so Focus schools will now be all about giving Operator Mode new abilities, ok that in-an-of-itself isn't a bad idea, BUT they seem to have forgotten you unlock focus in Second Dream and don't get Operator Mode until War Within!!!

mmmm the only plausible thing would be to unite focus and operator mode in the war within...so you should just get operator creation in second dream ?

11 minutes ago, Demogarose said:

Ok, so, two things.

1. What is your actual point? You just started yelling.

2. If what you mean is that there's a gap between those quests, then yes, they are aware of that. The Second Dream will unlock the basics of the Focus trees, the War Within will unlock more, and then doing Plains of Eidolon will unlock the higher warrior abilities. They do in fact sound to have a plan.

I remembered I was so so happy when Focus was first introduced on PC and I already had my eye set on Zenurik when it dropped on consoles.  I've always been a bit OCD about energy since I like to solo a lot.  Sure, I could drop energy plates, use e.siphon, fleeting expertise, etc, but nothing compares to the energy regen from Zenurik.  Also, I modded my Warframe around that (eg. just only using Streamline) and loved the fact that I mostly didn't have to worry about energy.

I was hoping DE would show the new Focus system in action in the Devstream instead of a few Power Point bullet points.  Until there's more info, I must admit I'm kinda nervous but holding out hope there'll be something equally good as replacements (Primed Streamline?!!).

C'mon DE, don't let your Tenno down.  And more importantly, don't let your masterpiece PoE be marred by FocusGate! :)

I don't post on the forums often (at all really) because I'm usually too busy playing the game.  Reading this thread makes me wonder how some people are playing this game.

I have used Zenurik plenty.  Especially on Nova.  I've also not used it plenty.  I've practically forgotten about it for weeks at a time.

Anyone who is pretending like it's critical to play the game, that it cripples frames without it, is either delusional or really needs to be more selective with their power spam.  Someone posted that people won't use Nova's 1 anymore.  Even with infinite energy rolling out of Zenurik, I didn't use it, because it was and still is JUNK.  If it were improved, maybe I would use it instead of her 2 sometimes.  You have to be looking to throw away energy to bother pressing the button, it's terrible.  And people won't use Banshee's 3?  I don't know where to start.  I definitely won't deny some frames' abilities need to be fixed, but Energy Overflow is obscuring even that.

The only times I've felt starved for energy are when I'm fighting at a high level, lots of enemies, and start becoming overly reliant on frame abilities.  When I start a match I'm not waiting for the 5 crutch.  It's really OK to have a low energy pool for a while, that requires build-up and management, or modding.  Not the end of the world.  

Zenurik is a wasteful overabundance of energy.  It trivializes the energy mechanic.  It wasn't a mere solution to energy hungry frames; it enables wanton ability use even on demanding frames.  

If you're concerned about energy having value and being a resource that isn't used to spam legitimately crap abilities like Nova's 1, may as well get rid of energy requirements and efficiency altogether, since they're slowing down countinuous spam of all four abilities on every warframe.  And God knows, needing to group with at least one other person, and someone having to play harrow or trinity if you want effectively unlimited energy is a bridge too far.  

While we're at it, charge time and reload are major negatives for my Opticor, could we get a new focus that almost completely mitigates those things?

EDIT: Maybe Primed Streamline could become a thing to make efficiency easier to have? :shocked:

Edited by Epsilon_Knight

2 hours ago, Sargeant_Q said:

They are answering Question on Reddit right now.  Some of the ones in this thread have been brought up and gotten a response on.  Specifically the Lens refund and energy have gotten a response. 

Lens refund they will consider.  It seems they did not think of that before.

At first for energy they said this. 

"Focus is now about your Operator with very little cross over to your Warframe. So you will have to find alternate means for your energy regen for now."

But after some more questions on it they said this

"We answered something like this earlier, but based on the recurring interest we are definitely looking to include aspects of the loved Focus passives possible in the overhauled Arcanes."

If I am reading right, those will be arcanes on operators. Wouldn't that mean that they would only effect operators then?

I don't know for sure.  Based off of what was said, This one at least should work on frames.  Since it would be kind of pointless to do this only for the Operators.  But i am just a person who was reading the staff replies while keeping a eye on this thread.  I know nothing beyond what has been said there.

1 minute ago, Urlan said:

If I am reading right, those will be arcanes on operators. Wouldn't that mean that they would only effect operators then?

They could also be arcanes for frames, I guess, unless DE wants to do away with those.  Either way, they only said Focus was now about the operator, arcanes clearly don't have to be operator-effect-only since DE themselves just said they would look at moving the old passives into them.

Taking out energy overflow surely will hit certain frames hard. I guess it's still manageable with energy pads. TBH I don't want a Trinity lock in almost every mission. By the way why would Octavia be getting a deluxe skin? Pretty much every other frame should get a skin before her.

Edited by Marvelous_A

4 hours ago, AM-Bunny said:

Focus Rework
• Rework is coming with Plains of Eidolon
• All Focus points gained until now will be refunded
• The new Focus mode will revolve on the physical Operator that you play as rather than the 'Ghost mode' and Warframe that Focus currently augments 
• Focus will make your Operator more combat-oriented, adhering to a different combat role depending on the school
• None of the old Focus system will remain -- Energy Overflow and Shadow Step are gone
• More details will be revealed in a coming Dev Workshop

This nice and all But what about the Plat I spent on buying greater Lens ? Will we getting a refund for this as well ?

4 hours ago, HerpDerpy said:

Im glad they changed the look of the glass frame. Not just the helmet was changed but also her "shoulder pad" things as well.

Yeah the alt-helm-now-default looks better while still sticking to the samurai kabuto design. Although the rectangular shapes for her armor sorta clash with the spiky shards on her head, overall she looks better.

Still, that codpiece...

Edited by PsiWarp

So Operators are getting turned into Warframes (armor, weapons, focus powers), and Warframes are becoming useless (for some undisclosed reason they are now ineffective against sentient technology, despite being designed to do just that)?  Have I gotten that right so far?

I'm really trying not to be too critical about PoE as it hasn't been released yet, but...well...

The focus/operator rework being made absolutely necessary for fighting eidolons seem very, very contrived.

"Hey, we need a new mechanic for fighting these eidolon things!"

"Well, we're blowing up the Focus system anyway, so let's rework it around that!"

"Great idea.  Even better, let's take the warframes right out of the fight, and have the operators do the fighting."

"Now, wait, hold on, eidolons are just damaged sentients, right?"

"Yeah.  And?"

"So why, exactly, do we need to sideline the warframes?  Weren't they created to beat up sentients?  I mean, they are highly mobile, and use primitive weapons, the only thing that was effective against the sentients.  I don't quite follow the train of thought here."

"So what?  There's no such thing as continuity in this game.  I love the operator idea, and dammit, I'm going to force EVERY single player who wants to fight an eidolon to love them too!  Or no random loot for them! "

Contrived.  And to think, they hired a professional writer.

The dynamic events look interesting on the surface, but time will tell if they are actually dynamic events, or simply mission modes we already have "dynamically" recycled on the PoE map.  The increasing enemy difficulty is a nice touch - no more waiting for 30 minutes in a survival mission before things get interesting...assuming the scaling is steep enough.  And there is the exploration aspect - the map does look lovely.  And we actually get to transition to actual archwing, and not just sharkwing.

Let's see...what else...

Oh yeah.  Mining?  With a laser.  We No Man's Sky now?  C'mon, you had to expect somone to poo-poo on this one.  And it'll no doubt be dependent entirely upon the almighty, and lazy, RNG, because DE can't seem to do anything else.  Well, that's not quite right.  They refuse to do anything else.  Well, that's not quite right either.  They have the Junction tasks.  Neat idea, and one used by other games to break the monotony ad nauseum of simple RNG rewards.  But alas, they got forgotten about just like so many other things do...probably never to be seen again.

But pardon me, for I am getting ahead of myself.  PoE isn't even out yet.  Who knows, we might actually get a proper scavenger hunt/crafting quest to build our newest legendary item - operator arcanes.  You know, the kind virtually any MMO worth it's salt does for its legendary items.  You know the kind I mean.  Where you see/find out about a legendary you like, find out what you need to make the thing, and go play the game's content to collect the stuff to make it.  That's assuming DE actually put any dev time into the rewards system, and didn't use it all up on everything but.

40 minutes ago, ChaoticEdge said:

she does, but it was magnettized down because the complainers.

Ha

32 minutes ago, (PS4)i7081277 said:

to balance the boob 

#100th post

Dem boobies are intense.

30 minutes ago, phoenix1992 said:

The same reason as with Nova - She does, but you need the proper pants for that.

My pancake has more curves than any of Mag's butts.