Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Should Mod type and focus schools somehow influence one another?

Xekrin

One thought has always stuck in the corner of my mind and occasionally pops out whenever I play.  Mods have categories based on the names of the focus schools.  Madurai, Naramon and so on.

I've always felt it would be neat to tie the two together somehow but I know that would be such a massive undertaking on the developers.  Not entirely certain its even possible at all.  One reason is some categories are far more (Naramon?) and some have far less (Vazarin (on weapons) Unairu stance only) mods than others, and very often there is a huge presence of (madurai) one or two and very little use of any other.

So would anyone else like to see some convergence of the two (barring, as I said, the immense workload it'd entail) or is everyone satisfied with them remaining separate entities?

New focus system in the works, and while it is going to be heavily focused on operators this time, perhaps the mod tie-in would be a way to influence frames with focus in a behind the scenes sort of way?

How these synergy system would work I see it as being a bonus that affects Frames and weapons in different ways. On weapons the energy cost of these mods are decreased by a small percentage with the end cost rounded up. So end result is that the cost goes down one point in general. Two at the most extreme cases. On Frames and companions the mod effect gets an additional bonus to their effect. So an armor mod that gives you 20% armor, actually gives you a little more. Again, the bonus itself should be very small. 

I like the concept of this synergy idea and do support it. But I would not like to see it give earth-shattering bonuses. The Focus schools are more to do with your Operator gameplay, with only marginal boost to your frames. It's a thing that would help, but would not make or break a build. 

17 minutes ago, Littleman88 said:

It would take some very clever design to not have everyone focus on Vizarin if the schools benefited matching mod polarities in some way.  Everyone's got Serration/Hornet Strike and Split Chamber/Barrel Diffusion on their weapons.  Everyone.

That is more of a problem with weapon and mod design choices made way back when. The discussion of embedding the function of these must-have mods into weapon progression itself pops up every so often with proponents an opponents in equal numbers. Personally I think that the functions should be implemented into weapon progression, but the mods remain in a severely nerfed capacity. In the end being a choice between getting that 10-20% more damage or get more bullets to do more damage over time. And don't get me started on how elemental damage mods work, that is a nightmare that needs to be chucked into the grinder. 

As for multishot mods... DE just needs to man up and fix them. Because as is right now they are functioning in a glitched manner, they were never supposed to give you free bullets like they do now. Instead when multishot triggers, it takes one extra round from the magazine. Essentially a fire rate doubling mod. Why they haven't fixed it is because so many rely on that extra DPS from multishot that there would be riots. 

19 hours ago, peterc3 said:

Can you suggest a means by which the two could be connected?

I probably could but to be honest, I do not have it in me to conceive a fully developed concept such as those that are showcased on PrimeTime.  It would be too much for me.

A half baked idea that I've been throwing around in my head though would be something as simple as the number of mods related to chosen focus would either A) gain an increase to their respective stats, or B) would provide a cumulative bonus to the chosen focus and its open passives/actives.

Of course it would be quite impossible to go any further until we know what the new Focus will provide, and using the current focus system would be a complete joke.

Also, as I mentioned originally, the mods are pretty out of balance in terms of which schools have the most or least mods and the most and least used mods.

It would demand a full revamping of the mod system and reclassification of pretty much all the mods to ensure any bonuses were not overloaded with the obvious cheese choices (every secondary demands 3 madurai right out of the gate for example).

It would be far easier to come up with an inventive way of connecting the two systems if mods or focus or both weren't so completely broken as they are now.

Which is the primary reason this is in GD and not fan concepts, I've no desire to pitch a pointless suggestion to fix the system when one is getting reworked as we speak and the other may never be.

TL:DR They share names, and it just bothers me they don't share more.  I don't see how, as a simple, modest player, to fix the brokenness of either nor how to combine the two I simply wish they were and want to know how others feel.

Why come up with these unique and creative names with lore heavy back stories if using their namesake everywhere in the game means very little?