Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Plains of Eidolon Distances & Weapons!

[DE]Rebecca

1 hour ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Hail, Tenno!

Right now, our dev team is working hard to deliver the Plains of Eidolon. But as we create and play within this open space, the change of scenery has had us looking at some of the systems that Warframe has been built upon over the last five years.

One of Warframe’s biggest appeals is the diverse selection of weaponry. Even within the subclasses of rifles and pistols, there is huge variety to be found, such as the distinction between projectile weapons (firing physical projectiles which move through space, like the Boltor) and hitscan weapons (firing draws an imaginary line between the gun and the point aimed at, doing damage instantly to whatever it hits, like the Soma). For obvious reasons, hitscans are very effective at long distances - this has never been an issue with Warframe’s tileset-based gameplay, but as we shot enemies from a kilometer away in the plains with our pistols, we knew something had to be done.

With the release of Plains of Eidolon, most weapons will have a form of damage falloff added, to reduce their effectiveness at extremely long distances. But don’t panic! This damage falloff will only be noticeable at extreme ranges (greater than 300m). Across all of our current tilesets, we were unable to find an unobstructed line of sight longer than 300m, so that is the point at which damage falloff will start. Even some of our largest tiles do not cover that distance corner-to-corner:

Pasted image at 2017_09_18 11_49 AM (1).png

Based on our assessment of all existing procedural tiles we’re extra confident that our current tileset-based gameplay will be largely unaffected. It is also worth noting that snipers will be able to fire 600m without experiencing falloff, to give them more of a purpose in this wide open terrain where long range weapons should thrive.

As always, we are listening to your reactions and feedback - hope you’re as excited for Plains of Eidolon as we are! If you find unobstructed distances in our current tiles that concern you, post them here!

Please, please, PLEASE, get someone to look at the Seer. It's got insane zoom levels, yet no scope, and has been overlooked by every Sniper and Secondary rework/revisit for four YEARS.

PLEASE give my love some love. It's at 96 Forma and I want it to be looked at before I hit 100.

23 minutes ago, trunks013 said:

Cool with me as long as snipers have little less dammage falloff ^.^ 

It would be cool ^.^

You mean damage or distance? The won' fall off until 600m at least based on the post.

I hope that the damage falloff isn't too severe however.

Why even add damage falloff to snipers? You're nerfing a weapon class that's already considered subpar(even if you're also nerfing other hitscan weapons), and there's only a few situations where  this nerf would even take place. Sure, you could climb up to a mountain ridge and snipe an enemy encampment 2km away, but I find it highly unlikely that draw distances will be that extreme, and you'd have to walk to the encampment anyways to pick up the loot, by which time I can only assume the encampment has been repopulated.

There is another thread coming soon TM on Sniper changes.

Will there be any on Warframe range abilities and launcher type weapons? (e.g Tonkor, Zarr, which will be very useful on Archwing by the way and I'm looking forward to flying by and just Zarring things) But I want my Nidus powers to be able to thrive in this new and exciting world.

1 hour ago, -AoN-CanoLathra- said:

Also, will this damage falloff be affected by Flight Speed the same way it is for hit-scan shotguns? If so, it could affect a lot of weapons on normal tilesets, due to riven mods.

The above is my most important concern/question.  I've invested in quite a few rivens with negative Flight Speed on Rifles/Pistols.  Please don't let it affect these weapons in PoE.

Sweet, since I've always been confused why an uber-space-ninja who can destroy whole armies with a single swipe couldn't hold a rifle steady for more than a second or two.

9 minutes ago, tarfeef101 said:

Contrary to most people here, I just want you to leave snipers as they are. Especially the riven disposition!!!! So many of my riven have the perfect amount of crit chance to bring em to 100%, don't mess it up!!!!

We want 100% crit chance on snipers without the use of rivens or argon scope. As far as I remember, the highest crit chance without Argon Scope or rivens is 62%. The riven disposition can even stay the same.

28 minutes ago, redeyedtreefrog said:

Why even add damage falloff to snipers? You're nerfing a weapon class that's already considered subpar(even if you're also nerfing other hitscan weapons), and there's only a few situations where  this nerf would even take place. Sure, you could climb up to a mountain ridge and snipe an enemy encampment 2km away, but I find it highly unlikely that draw distances will be that extreme, and you'd have to walk to the encampment anyways to pick up the loot, by which time I can only assume the encampment has been repopulated.

They aren't adding Damage Falloff to sniper exactly.  They are taking into account the the long distances involved with the Plains and realized that other hitscan weapons would would have all the benefits of sniper rifles without any of the disadvantages.  Prime example being Arca Scisco.  Now since none of the existing tiles have distances over 300m, nothing would be really changing for sniper rifles as far and distance goes.  It's mostly the distance of non sniper rifles that are getting the damage falloff.  

Please, please, plase buff their crit chance so it's easier for them to reach 100% crit chance. There is no greater bummer than taking long distance difficult shot and then 2 white numbers shows up.

Given the distances and increased difficulty of hitting with projectile vs hitscan, will projectile weapons have less falloff compared to hitscan?

Edit: Or is this post meant to imply "most weapons" affected as being hitscan as the previous paragraph was saying something needed to be done about hitscan vs projectile.

2 hours ago, Trizion said:

I would love to see snipers being able to shoot for more than 600m without fall off if you could change it to around 700 - 800m I think it would be a lot better off that way since snipers need a lot more loving than what they are getting now. Removing the scope sway would also be nice and also buffing snipers, in general, to be more useful.

i agree with with increasing the range to 700-800.

though I think they should just reduce the scope sway to something very small for all snipers and add a reasonable amount to every other weapon. that would add more depth to weapon selection since we cant just use something like a lex prime and call it the best sniper

2 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Hail, Tenno!

Right now, our dev team is working hard to deliver the Plains of Eidolon. But as we create and play within this open space, the change of scenery has had us looking at some of the systems that Warframe has been built upon over the last five years.

One of Warframe’s biggest appeals is the diverse selection of weaponry. Even within the subclasses of rifles and pistols, there is huge variety to be found, such as the distinction between projectile weapons (firing physical projectiles which move through space, like the Boltor) and hitscan weapons (firing draws an imaginary line between the gun and the point aimed at, doing damage instantly to whatever it hits, like the Soma). For obvious reasons, hitscans are very effective at long distances - this has never been an issue with Warframe’s tileset-based gameplay, but as we shot enemies from a kilometer away in the plains with our pistols, we knew something had to be done.

With the release of Plains of Eidolon, most weapons will have a form of damage falloff added, to reduce their effectiveness at extremely long distances. But don’t panic! This damage falloff will only be noticeable at extreme ranges (greater than 300m). Across all of our current tilesets, we were unable to find an unobstructed line of sight longer than 300m, so that is the point at which damage falloff will start. Even some of our largest tiles do not cover that distance corner-to-corner:

Pasted image at 2017_09_18 11_49 AM (1).png

Based on our assessment of all existing procedural tiles we’re extra confident that our current tileset-based gameplay will be largely unaffected. It is also worth noting that snipers will be able to fire 600m without experiencing falloff, to give them more of a purpose in this wide open terrain where long range weapons should thrive.

As always, we are listening to your reactions and feedback - hope you’re as excited for Plains of Eidolon as we are! If you find unobstructed distances in our current tiles that concern you, post them here!

THANK YOU mam, this information is important to one of the weapons I was designing in homage to Plains of Eidolon! Tried asking about it before, but, figured it got buried in the assorted heap of messages.

Question (if this hasn't already been asked):
Will this 300 meter falloff be straight line from the enemy to the gun when you shoot, or distance traveled by the projectile once its fired? I highly doubt it will ever be an issue, but with Ivara's Navigator, you could hypothetically guide a projectile a LOT farther than 300 meters in a lot less straight line distance.

3 minutes ago, Jeahanne said:

Question (if this hasn't already been asked):
Will this 300 meter falloff be straight line from the enemy to the gun when you shoot, or distance traveled by the projectile once its fired? I highly doubt it will ever be an issue, but with Ivara's Navigator, you could hypothetically guide a projectile a LOT farther than 300 meters in a lot less straight line distance.

This change will only be effecting Hitscan weapons.  Projectile weapons already have dropoff/falloff unless being effected by skills like Navigator or Zepher's skill.

Ugh. Damage fall-off for hit-scan weapons, especially sniper rifles? Really?

I'd rather see an accuracy drop instead of that. "Bullet drop" over range would be ideal, but that's never going to happen...Ideally, any weapon in Warframe that's supposed to shoot bullets or projectiles...should fire actual projectiles. Reserve hit-scan mechanics for laser based and linear-accelerator based weapons.

1 hour ago, (PS4)vinster said:

The above is my most important concern/question.  I've invested in quite a few rivens with negative Flight Speed on Rifles/Pistols.  Please don't let it affect these weapons in PoE.

They do already for falloff on shotguns, I doubt they'd make a separate falloff system just to save people with rivens. You're banking on a null stat and hoping that doesn't change.

Archived