Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Damage Falloff: My OPINION

(XBOX)AntiCaesar

5 minutes ago, Duduminador said:

Why not a projectile/time-travel-distance or accuracy loss instead of damage falloff?

Because people keep trying to suggest faulty gimmicks that can be exploited to their own benefits and they think they're the only ones who can see it. It's low-mid level map after all, it would probably only take one Tigris Pellet at 1km distance to kill half the mobs in it.

Realism is a biased argument that can be used both for nerfing or buffing. That said, I don't give two S#&$s about realism.

Balance on the other hand, is a holy grail.

Okay, I can see it being applied to quite a few weapons, (Lex Prime for example and I love that gun)

Edited by (XB1)AntiCaesar

1 hour ago, (Xbox One)AntiCaesar said:

I dunno, the Orokin have light bridges and made magical war suits, so space magic? Plus, archaic is just old, and lore-wise the Prime weapons are old and were made using the same techniques as other things

No no, Archaic as in old technology, old fashioned, like bullets instead of lasers. Prime weapons were manufactured to archaic bullets which had probably been phased out long ago, Even with their technology, bullet could only be fired so far. There's still physics and everything to take into account.

I also think that the falloff won't be anywhere near immediate or severe. I think they won't completely  completely fall off till 450 or 500.

Edited by PoisonHD

4 hours ago, (Xbox One)AntiCaesar said:

Personally I think damage falloff doesn't fit into warframe. I mean, it's supposed to resemble some realism, but this game is about space ninja children. Does it really need to be realistic? There's a spooky ghost roaming our ship, so I don't really think so.

Its not even realistic. A military grade shotgun in our age has 70m effective range, we in the far future with energy weapons, space magic and infinite range rifles have what?

Shotguns what got 20m effective range? Are you kidding me? Are we using the technology level of the first front loading rifles?

6 hours ago, (Xbox One)Demon Intellect said:

What? The big open corpus map that is open that is usually an intercept mission that has a giant snow field in the middle, is only 194 meters from the farthest 2 opposing corners. Nothing we currently have is 300 meters...

Okay, in video games meters felt very very small. I underestimated a lot

8 hours ago, PoisonHD said:

No no, Archaic as in old technology, old fashioned, like bullets instead of lasers. Prime weapons were manufactured to archaic bullets which had probably been phased out long ago, Even with their technology, bullet could only be fired so far. There's still physics and everything to take into account.

I also think that the falloff won't be anywhere near immediate or severe. I think they won't completely  completely fall off till 450 or 500.

I feel like I should have clarified. They were made using similar techniques to other Orokin tech

11 hours ago, (Xbox One)RDeschain82 said:

Most hunters use the 40/40 method. 40 inch spread at 40 yards for bird shot. 60 meters is a bit much unless you're using slugs. And buckshot is lethal up to 50 yards. Just saying

Even 20 yards is a bit far in most self defense situations. 

That said real time ballistics should not be in Warframe and game balance went out the window with Rivens.

Depends on the rifling of the shotgun, the usual ones they allow you to buy in the US are usually just that, however, shotguns with tighter rifling can get you an effective range of 100 yards, some lower caliber one with even tighter rifling should be able to get you astounding 200 yards effective range, but I never really saw one of those, it just better to use a semi-auto rifle at that point

Ugh... good to know that there's still idiots in the Warframe community. I've seen multiple comments on YouTube videos bringing it up and I was hoping that the forums would have no activity on it. But as always, people hear that something's being 'nerfed' in some sense and cry wolf. At least there are people with sense talking about how the nerf is barely even a nerf.

But sure, those of you who still think that 300m Damage Fall Off is ridiculous, and then tell us to go play Arma when you will never even affected by the damage fall off, just get off the forums. Because after all, whenever I try to bring up how this will let Snipers have a bit more use, I'm instantly shot down and told that "Well no one will even like attacking at those ranges because then you'd have to go so far just to pick up your loot". and how "Affinity ranges will suck because of those distances". So yeah, I don't want to hear about how you're actually going to try and shoot at those ranges.

So let's just be real here, the only reason any of you who still defend the idea of the Extreme Damage Fall Off are even mad, is because you're worried that your precious little Endgame Builds are being needlessly nerfed, or that they will fall out of the meta compared to snipers without even considering what exactly 300m is in an average Warframe map. So just get off the forums and out of the comment sections, your builds are safe, you're not being hunted down to be nerfed against your will, DE isn't messing with anything out of reason this time.

Edited by (PS4)Xolotl31

On 9/22/2017 at 7:36 AM, (Xbox One)AntiCaesar said:

I mean, it's supposed to resemble some realism,

no it's not about realism at all. It's there because of balance, and provide affordance for player, so that they don't snipe with shotgun (and the damage fall off allow DE to buff the overall damage of all shotgun)

Edited by FireSegment

18 hours ago, (PS4)Xolotl31 said:

good to know that there's still idiots in the Warframe community. I've seen multiple comments on YouTube videos bringing it up and I was hoping that the forums would have no activity on it. But as always, people hear that something's being 'nerfed' in some sense and cry wolf. At least there are people with sense talking about how the nerf is barely even a nerf.

read the god damn thread again before calling other ppl as idiot and tell them to get off the forum. "If damage fall of are for realism, then it's unfit for warframe theme" as an argument and "Don't use damage fall-off to nerf my gun PLS" are different. 

2 minutes ago, FireSegment said:

read the god damn thread again before calling other ppl as idiot and tell them to get off the forum. "If damage fall of are for realism, then it's unfit for warframe theme" as an argument and "Don't use damage fall-off to nerf my gun PLS" are different. 

I have, people are complaining about nerfs at ranges that they'll NEVER USE as they oh so love to inform me. Try reading the rest of my comment.

1. You don't need to label your opinion as your opinion. We know it's your opinion by virtue of you not tagging it as a hard fact and that you posted it with your own, personal, account.

2. 300m is often halfway to an objective from spawn on current tilesets. You will only notice this damage falloff on PoE.

On 9/22/2017 at 3:36 AM, (Xbox One)AntiCaesar said:

Personally I think damage falloff doesn't fit into warframe. I mean, it's supposed to resemble some realism, but this game is about space ninja children. Does it really need to be realistic? There's a spooky ghost roaming our ship, so I don't really think so.

Well after the last prime time it makes a lot more sense.

You can shoot your normal guns out of AW mode - they don't want you to carpet bomb the place with Lenz. Something I will do regardless of the limitations.

On 10/5/2017 at 2:53 PM, phoenix1992 said:

Well after the last prime time it makes a lot more sense.

You can shoot your normal guns out of AW mode - they don't want you to carpet bomb the place with Lenz. Something I will do regardless of the limitations.

Your Lenz will be unaffected by the damage falloff as it is a Projectile Weapon and not a Hitscan. So by all means, Carpet Bomb away.

Space magic only works in space

Gravity should make the bullet drop, but hitscan weapons somehow shoot bullets at the speed of light so that doesn't apply. However, the bullets dealing less damage after traveling a while in the air should remain due to friction in the air. If it were actual space combat i.e. archwing, there would be no damage falloff. The way our weapons worked were always realistic, it's just that our range was close enough that the friction would not have an effect on our bullet before it landed.

As for projectile weapons not losing damage = less speed/sec = less friction against air/sec = less heat = fully intact projectiles

Edited by Ozent