Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My PC Broke and I Don't Want To Miss Out On Anything

Auorna

Question

Soo, I spilled my drink on my PC and it short circuited. I'm not financially stable enough to buy another $2000 gaming PC. (It's an Alienware btw don't every f*cking waste your time and money on them). I may be a new player, but the Plains of Eidolon is coming soon and I'm trying to get prepared for it. So I'm wondering if you guys can recommend me a PC that can run Warframe at medium to medium-high settings; I have a budget of about 350-400 dollars and would greatly appreciate it if you could help me out. :thumbup: 

11 answers to this question

13 minutes ago, Auorna said:

Soo, I spilled my drink on my PC and it short circuited. I'm not financially stable enough to buy another $2000 gaming PC. (It's an Alienware btw don't every f*cking waste your time and money on them). I may be a new player, but the Plains of Eidolon is coming soon and I'm trying to get prepared for it. So I'm wondering if you guys can recommend me a PC that can run Warframe at medium to medium-high settings; I have a budget of about 350-400 dollars and would greatly appreciate it if you could help me out. :thumbup: 

I'm sorry to say this but... Can you wait until Black Friday? If you can electronics will be much cheaper then (or maybe Cyber Monday) or build one, like the guy above me said.

Considering your price range your best bet may be to purchase a used gaming PC off Craigslist. Gamers often build new computers when their old ones are still perfectly usable, and that can lead to some very good deals.

If you don't want to do that, you (or someone more experienced with computers) might take a look at how badly damaged your current computer is. The case is probably fine, and there's a good chance your hard drive escaped damage as well. There might be other parts that are still okay, too. Those could reduce the cost of building a new computer.

Well, considering that I am running Warframe nearly topped off using what many would consider entry level graphics (AMD R7 250 Graphics Card). I could recommend a laptop that comes with an AMD A8 or A10 APU in it. Since those chips come with the R7 250 integrated. Just make sure you have enough memory to allocate at least 1GB to it and that the bios allows it. That should handle the game at medium and maybe a little higher comfortably.

Open up your alienware and figure out what needs to be replaced in it. Kind of curious what "fried" exactly means for that. I mean like did it have a complete meltdown, sparks and smoke come off it? Light on fire?  Clues be nice because you can take a laptop shell with a motherboard in it, and find the parts you want to put in it and build a laptop yourself for cheaper than you can buy one. Alienware has some pretty nice laptop shells with pre-installed motherboards.

Browse the barebone kits from tigerdirect.com as newegg.com doesn't have very good barebone kits.

The cheapest route is to go with a mini computer case, micro atx motherboard, get an asus, make sure it's for amd, and get a good amd processor, as amd is always cheaper than intel ever will be. Get like an fx6300, find yourself some kingston ram to fit, and get like an MSI R7  graphics card. All of this will come up fairly cheap, but you will go over your budget still. Just, micro atx with a mid tower case, that's your cheapest option as a full atx motherboard is considerably more expensive than a micro atx.

Benq and HP make nice, cheap monitors, keyboard is around $15 at walmart for the cheapest logitech. I think it's a k120 logitech. Mouse you already have I assume.

I recommend a Thermaltake 650 watt, 80+ bronze. They are kind of expensive, just priced it on amazon for $77.92 but you want a good PSU that will both last, and actually run your hardware. I've used plenty of different PSU's, thermaltake has been one of the best for me and I've had plenty of problems with other cheap PSU's.

But I don't think you need anything more than a 650, probably be able to get away with a 550 watt. But IF your system powers off while under load via gameplay, your PSU doesn't have have enough power. That's why I recommend 650 watt 80+ just, you should be fine with a 550, just don't get a 450.

Edited by Alcatraz

If you are in the States, consider checking out Microcenter and their Powerspec brand. Typically, in my experience anyway, they use spare retail components in them and have stable performance with importantly no proprietary parts due to what they use to make them often enough. Look at the open box or clearance models and consider obtaining an nvidia 1050 TI if your old card isn't salvageable.

Edited by Urlan

55 minutes ago, Auorna said:

Is the entire PC dead, or what? Can you swap out the power supply and test with a second one for example? How did you sufficiently wet a PC enough without dunking it into a pool of water to kill the everything inside it?

If it's not all dead, you may be able to salvage the parts from inside it.

All good suggestions so far, but if you decide to actually go with a new system, dont cheap out on the keyboard, I mean, nearly everything logitech fires out is normally good, but for Warframe, you are going to want something that you can press more than 3 keys on at once. I recently had to toss away my old gaming keyboard and went back to some no name generic keyboard I had knocking around, and the ghosting is noticeable.

Doesn't hurt to try craiglist.

My girlfriend and I picked up a desktop for her for 300 bucks.  500GB hard drive, 8 gig ram, vishera 6 core, r9 280x.  not bad for the price.

We live in CA where everything is idiotically stupid expensive.

Another option is to see what some of the nearby stores have listed for clearance.  I know I saw a good desktop at work for about $300 on clearance, would need to get a video card for it too though, but it wouldn't take an expensive video card to run warframe.