Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ponytails for Alt Helms?

Revoxem

First I have to says you will have to be careful about transparency because contrarily to most of other proprieties, this one vary a lot from an engine to another and may have some problems you didn't exept.
There are multiple possible ways to make the ponytail you want to want, so I will explain 2 of them that I would use :

• 1) Copy the existing pony tail : This is the easiest way if you want to use the exact same energy strip. It use a separate FX texture so, you won't have to care about it in your textures UV and it will make everything easier.
    However, you will be forced to use the same band (can tweak it a bit but not that much and you won't be able to preview it because the energy strip textures arn't in the Tennogen files.

• 2) Built you own : This is a bit more complicated but it would give you more liberty in your design.
    However, you will have to consider it in your UV shell and work with alpha on your diffuse texture, so it can be more tricky to make it match the overall warframe design.
    What you will have to do is for energy to work properly is to put emissive over some semi-transparent black diffuse. So you will mainly work with the transparency of your diffuse map and the intensity of your emissive.
    If you work with subtance painter, you won't be able to preview the oppacity with the EvolutionPBR (I personnaly switch to pbr-alpha-blending) and the oppacity won't be automatically applied to your diffuse map, so you will need to export both and apply the oppacity map as a mask on your diffuse map to let the transparency appear.

Sorry, hadn't checked the thread wasn't expecting to get a reply that soon. @lukinu_u thanks for the detailed explanation, for what i'm doing that second suggestion should work out nicely. I'm still in the sculpting stage but hopefully adding a ponytail to the UV map won't cause me much of a hassle.

Wukong's helmet ribbons are made up of one texture, with some in-engine magic applied.This texture is 512x1024 and is seamless top to bottom, so it can be repeated and moved like a film strip for animation. It's just a black and white pattern with no alpha. 

You'll want to create the ribbons on a separate mesh with its own UV set and texture in order for us to animate it and add the in-engine FX. It's separate because FX and animations are applied to the entire material.

38 minutes ago, [DE]Syncrasis said:

Wukong's helmet ribbons are made up of one texture, with some in-engine magic applied.This texture is 512x1024 and is seamless top to bottom, so it can be repeated and moved like a film strip for animation. It's just a black and white pattern with no alpha. 

You'll want to create the ribbons on a separate mesh with its own UV set and texture in order for us to animate it and add the in-engine FX. It's separate because FX and animations are applied to the entire material.

Well that just made things like 10x easier than I thought they would be :cool:

On 9/28/2017 at 12:21 PM, lukinu_u said:

Oh, so I was wrong D:

@[DE]Syncrasis does this apply to every energy thing on helmets like this or only for Warframe that already have a FX like Wukong ?

This applies to anything you want special FX on, or scrolling textures (scrolling emissive is not special FX). We prefer energy-only pieces to be separated this way so we can make them actually look like energy with special FX like rippling, even if you don't want a scrolling animation.