Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[IC] Siren's Call

SpaceHelicopters

23 hours ago, SpaceHelicopters said:

Kill Quick or Die Faster

*Snop*
The screeches of burning infested mingled with the whip cracks of flame tongues coiling off the still-twitching bodies of infested freshly felled. With their efforts combined, the faux-Manic and pseudo-Nox drowned the rushing undead in a wave of flame; keeping the Tenno and Old Master from being accosted as they worked to slay the Tech of the damned. Errant flames licked at the undead Crewman, revealing a pale-blue shimmer that kept the fires at bay. This obvious presence of a proto-shield was no doubt the reason for the ghoul unit’s snuffing; rendering their flame-based weaponry useless as they were cut down in a swath of plasma fire.

*Snep*

True to its promise, the fire was eagerly consuming its bountiful offerings - The screaming, shambling horde of infested a most worthy sacrifice for the flames. J'kotal's remained alert - As good as things were going now, all it took was a momentary lapse in concentration for things to fall apart.

As far as this little engagement was going, he'd dare say it was going well - He and that strange manic had managed to stall the infected horde long enough for the other three to lock down that Tech. As long as they did so, then that tech wouldn't be able to counteract their armored support.

Sparing a moment to glance at the carnage he had wrought, he took note of the veritable mounds of burning corpses and boiling lakes of corrupt blood - So far so good, but the infested crawled over the scorched remains of their compatriots with as much concern one would have for a passing mayfly - Little more than a minor twinge of annoyance as they shambled over the uneven terrain.

They were met with one final gout of flame as a small clunk made itself realized - Fire was indeed a friend, but it was a hungry one. And J'kotal's flamethrower had just run out of gas - At least until he attached another tank. The encroaching swarm had been considerably burned and set aflame, but no more than that,

Cursing under his breath and reaching for one of his spare fuel tanks, he took another deep breath - thankful for the filtration systems that his armor afforded him, before bellowing out a warning for his sudden-comrades due to a considerably serious problem he was facing.

"AMMO SPENT, RELOADING!"

J'kotal only hoped that they could stand for the momentary slack that his flamethrower had just dumped on the group - From his experience, he knew that things like this were at times all that was needed to claim a life.
Lowering his stance into a leaning position on his right leg, his muscles were coiled in preparation to either burst into a sprint to intercept something, or deliver a bone-shattering knee-strike with his left kneecap.

He continued his reload as he did so, now in the process of affixing the new tank to the flamethrowers fuel tract - But if anything were to threaten his cohort, he would be very likely to stop and just attempt to intercept whatever threatened them. Many years ago he was in a similar situation, and he'd never live it down if he somehow let it happen again, even if the circumstances were beyond his control.

Edited by InfiniumV
Damnit, Spoiler Demon has struck again!

5 hours ago, IrishHades1798 said:

"I think you're right. Tiny child or not, it's still the best bet we've got far as I could tell."

Kholdor looked back at this new person that had found herself in his and Bornstella's company. She seemed to hold an aura of self-righteousness, and she certainly acted like she was a superior to Kholdor. He had his hopes that she would indeed prove to be a boon to this rag-tag group, but if she turned out to be anything like Kholdor in his youth, then she might get everyone killed.

Looking at Takar, Kholdor said: "Just so you know, I don't offer piggyback rides. So don't ask."

Takar huffed in indignation. "As if I would even want to. I can walk and run just as well as you."

Takar looked over at Sunik, who was still very wary of her presence.

"Part of me wishes I had brought my Kavat, but the other part sees where it would have caused problems. Oh well, my Carrier will serve well enough."

"As for the plan, it seems solid enough, but where are we sneaking to? If we are going to be sneaking past the Infested, we better have a location in mind, or we will just wind up sneaking in circles.

"I mean, I certainly don't want a fight against those things, or to let them know we are here, but we need a direction in mind before we start.

"Also, if we can find more air vents, they will likely prove useful. The Infested seem surprisingly uninterested in them."

As Thraks crawled through the vent, he started to hear a noise that he hoped he wouldn't hear: the vent started to creak and break because of his total weight. Before he had the chance to move away from the spot he was on, the vent broke and fell down to the floor bellow the vent. While he didn't break any bones in his body, he still felt a stinging pain across his body as he landed pretty hard and it didn't help that his equipment made it even worse. Once he had recovered from the impact, he slowly stood up and checked out the surrounding. He wasn't sure where he was, but he had a feeling that the noise he made might have attracted the infested that may or may not be close by. 

23 hours ago, IrishHades1798 said:

"I think you're right. Tiny child or not, it's still the best bet we've got far as I could tell."

Kholdor looked back at this new person that had found herself in his and Bornstella's company. She seemed to hold an aura of self-righteousness, and she certainly acted like she was a superior to Kholdor. He had his hopes that she would indeed prove to be a boon to this rag-tag group, but if she turned out to be anything like Kholdor in his youth, then she might get everyone killed.

Looking at Takar, Kholdor said: "Just so you know, I don't offer piggyback rides. So don't ask."

16 hours ago, -AoN-CanoLathra- said:

Takar huffed in indignation. "As if I would even want to. I can walk and run just as well as you."

"Part of me wishes I had brought my Kavat, but the other part sees where it would have caused problems. Oh well, my Carrier will serve well enough."

"As for the plan, it seems solid enough, but where are we sneaking to? If we are going to be sneaking past the Infested, we better have a location in mind, or we will just wind up sneaking in circles.

"I mean, I certainly don't want a fight against those things, or to let them know we are here, but we need a direction in mind before we start.

"Also, if we can find more air vents, they will likely prove useful. The Infested seem surprisingly uninterested in them."

Bornstella sighed. "The only direction we can really go is through the doors. Going back will just take us straight into a horde of Infested, and it's not like the ships at the docking bay are functional. Our only option is to go deeper into the Fortuna, hoping that we'll find a way off here without being devoured by a thousand hungry Infested." She explained. Alexis floated next to her, beeping in worry as it listened to her explanation. She had offered no concrete evidence that they might manage to survive. It was only on hope - something which works only half the time. The other half - it's like intentionally stepping on a landmine.

2 minutes ago, Agent_Maine said:

Bornstella sighed. "The only direction we can really go is through the doors. Going back will just take us straight into a horde of Infested, and it's not like the ships at the docking bay are functional. Our only option is to go deeper into the Fortuna, hoping that we'll find a way off here without being devoured by a thousand hungry Infested." She explained. Alexis floated next to her, beeping in worry as it listened to her explanation. She had offered no concrete evidence that they might manage to survive. It was only on hope - something which works only half the time. The other half - it's like intentionally stepping on a landmine.

17 hours ago, -AoN-CanoLathra- said:

"I'm afraid we only have one direction, and that's forward. As to what lies ahead that direction, hopefully, it will be the way to our survival.  I understand it's not a bright outlook, but I'd take anything over being a sitting duck."

Spoiler

Oh god, here we go lads and ladies. Get ready for a train-wreck...

-On approach: 100km from "Fortuna Et Ops"-

The only indication of Lucas' arrival was the faint flash of a void-space rupture in the distant dust-cloud surrounding the derelict. Emerging from the rift, He gazed upon the behemoth derelict that was the "famed" 'Fortuna Et Ops'.

He had heard of this vessel through word-of-mouth on relays and other outposts around the system. Initially, he thought that they were just rumors - fairy tales though up by money-drunk corpus traders to get themselves noticed. But the more he heard about the famed/infamous derelict - and the more people started telling others about this ship - the more prevalent that little voice inside his head became.

'What if it is real?'

He knew that this could've still ended up as a wild goose chase, but when you have 3 relays and multiple planetary outposts full of people talking about one "rumor" and nothing else, that leaves little doubt to the fact that something had to be out there.

And, lo and behold, here it was.

When he heard the talk of this ship, he always heard it described as a magnificent relic of a forgotten age. Filled with riches beyond imagining. Initially, he thought the same, but hearing some tenno talk about it changed his mind quickly. He had a feeling that this vessel could easily hold something far from benevolent, and seeing the vessel first-hand confirmed that.

The hulking behemoth dwarfed his small shuttle, he could tell even from this distance. It was easily the size of a corpus gas processing platform - probably bigger all things considered. The once pristine white and gold exterior was grayed and bleached by the relentless passing of time, drowning all sense of majesty that the vessel may have once had. Lucas knew that whatever was in there was bad news, and he was here to find out what it was.

Surprisingly to Lucas, despite its size and age, an initial visual scan didn't show any obvious entry points aside from the docking ring, but even then, it was full of  abandoned ships. They varied wildly in design and build date - some of them corpus; some of them grineer. Hell, some of them were probably attached to the relic before whatever event that caused the vessel to be in this sorry state happened in the first place. But the point still stood - he wasn't getting in the normal way.

"Welp. Looks like that new docking clamp'll be taking the back seat on this one."

Lucas started his way towards the vessel, turning on the long-range scanners to see if there were any opening he could exploit. Right now, however, he had 2 options. The first was to try to bust his way through the ship's hull with a mining laser that he found on a scrapped Grineer utility ship. Turns out that they also act as very good ways of creating openings in ships when needed, too. Too bad it doubles as an alarm announcing your presence to whatever may be lurking inside. Not good considering the ship may be full of nasties.

Option 2 was to try to get aboard through a ship already attached to the docking ring. While not as straight-forward as busting a hole in the ship's hull and jumping in, it was a more subtle way of entering. and would likely be the choice he makes if anything else doesn't make itself apparent.

For now though, Lucas sits back, cuts the throttle to coast the ship along, and waits for the scanners to give some results - checking other systems and ship functions to pass the time.

Edited by Locky122
saw a few typos...

It was normally at this point that panic would begin to set in. People would lose their cool, begin to run, possibly p!ss their pants like a certain leader of men over there. Sab was just exasperated, and quietly hung her head as she reloaded her Tonkor in defeat. Not only did she get stuck here, but five after declaring she was shoving whatever the Hive Mind used as a head firmly up the wrong end of its digestive tract she'd wound up doing the exact thing she'd wanted to avoid.

What a stealth mission this turned out to be.

I mean, Sab loved the continual murder of countless outgunned and unskilled enemies as much as the next person, but not only were the Infested some of the least fun to fight (as much as you might try, you can't force a mindless zombie to do the chicken dance at gun point) but were liable to bog you down for so long Nef Anyo would've grown real facial hair by the time you were done.

Also because she knew that somehow, possibly through the will of some omnipresent, malevolent force, if she'd decide to stay and fight that Hexer would not only wind up surviving, but would end up giving her no end of sh!t for not making a "tactical retreat" as he'd called it.

I mean if she'd wanted to get yelled at she would just returned the god damn Liset.

And so, internal sulk and justification over, the Tenno wasted no (more) time, scooped up the Carrier, drew a Grakata, and rushed into whatever the darkness may hold beyond, quickly catching up to her humie compatriot (but not before putting a few bullets in the MOA for spite).

The Manic was in heaven, flames engulfed the entirety of his surroundings, and while the Nox unleashed a constant stream of flames, Hark had the strangely thoughtful idea of burning the stray ones, trying to not consume as much fuel as his brethren, there was only one problem... J'kotal wasn't spraying flames anymore.

The grineer didn't foresee this, and in an attempt to compensate for the lacking flames he would start spraying flames as fast as he could, uniting both the flames from his Ignis and the ones from the rocket-boosted flail of his Jat-Kusar as he threw it in the face of the incoming horde, tripping and hitting many of them before actually covering them in flames, hopefully, this would be enough.

"Get back to releasing hell faster Poison-clone! We will have to switch sooner than later!"

On 11/4/2017 at 9:38 AM, IrishHades1798 said:

"I'm afraid we only have one direction, and that's forward. As to what lies ahead that direction, hopefully, it will be the way to our survival.  I understand it's not a bright outlook, but I'd take anything over being a sitting duck."

"Alright then. Any objections to the plan from you, Takar?" Bornstella asked the small Tenno, intent on hearing her opinion on the idea. Clearly, a legendary warrior from the Old War would have something incredibly tactical to say, right?

Right?

2 hours ago, Agent_Maine said:

"Alright then. Any objections to the plan from you, Takar?" Bornstella asked the small Tenno, intent on hearing her opinion on the idea. Clearly, a legendary warrior from the Old War would have something incredibly tactical to say, right?

Right?

"No objections, just reservations. I hate that we are wandering blindly in here. If we find any computer terminals or similar devices, we had better check them to see if we can get a schematic of this place."

"And stealth is paramount. Once one infested knows you're there, they all do."

I only hope we can find somewhere halfway defensible to set up a camp. We will need one eventually.

After traveling a few rooms, not seeing any signs of infested (which worried Thraks as it was too quiet), he eventually was in a room where he spotted an infested hive. He had a feeling that popping the hive would be a very bad idea, so he leave it be. However, when he were about to leave the room, he spotted what looked like an infested maggot, just chilling on the floor. Normally a grineer would shoot at any signs of the infested, but not Thraks, he would think before he act. He look around to see if there was any brood mothers nearby and to his worried concerned, he couldn't see any of them. Just to be on the safe side, he decided to sneak around the maggot in order to not draw it's attention.

As he had passed the maggot, he thought he was for the time being, but that would quickly change as he accidently stepped on another maggot, making a squishing sound and that alerted the other maggots. He grabbed his kraken and as the maggot came to him, he managed to kill all of them, but then...something far worse happen, a roar from a mighty beast echoed throughout the room and the nearby rooms. As if it couldn't get any worse, the hive that he spotted earlier bursted and out from it, came an angry juggernaut who seemed to want get revenge for the loss of the maggots. The only thing he thought of was running like hell from the beast while trying to slow it down with his kraken by shooting the legs. It didn't help as the juggernaut's armor around the legs was too thick to be damaged.

"*curse words*" he thought as he ran as fast as he could from the juggernaut. While he was running for his life, he grabbed his walkie-talkie, held the button that you needed to hold to use it and said;

"This is Thraks Dhraga....need urgent backup as I....being chased by a.....very angry juggernaut.....I repeat, I need backup!" he shouted and panted into the walkie-talkie for anyone within range of his radio to hear as he ran away from the beast who dead set to kill him. He didn't care if any non-grineer heard his plea for help, as long as he got the help to deal with this very angry beast, he would be glad for it.

((Oh boy, he's done goofed. Told you I would make it more dramatic for Thraks and possible everyone else))

Edited by WolfmanX9

"We stay here, barricade this room and make sure nothing gets in." He commanded, his men that weren't badly wounded making sure they would be secure for now. He looked at one of his men to check how bad their wounds were, it seemed he had gotten bitten or something related to a bite was on his arm and it was getting worse.

He sighed and cocked his gun, a shot ringing out in the room and everyone looking at the source of the noise. The crewman was dead, Evon standing there. "Better safe than sorry."

On 11/9/2017 at 12:17 AM, -AoN-CanoLathra- said:

"No objections, just reservations. I hate that we are wandering blindly in here. If we find any computer terminals or similar devices, we had better check them to see if we can get a schematic of this place."

"And stealth is paramount. Once one infested knows you're there, they all do."

I only hope we can find somewhere halfway defensible to set up a camp. We will need one eventually.

"Of course. Kholdor and I had the unfortunate experience of letting the Infested know where we were, resulting in an at least twenty minute escape. It was very tiring, and I would hate to do it again." Bornstella said, nodding in agreement to Takar's statement.

"So, no objections to Kholdor's plan, then. I suggest we do it now, because standing around isn't going to accomplish anything."