Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Having Fun with Inktober

aerelm

"The spirit of Inktober is self improvement, and there's no better way to master your craft than to draw without a safety net. There's no feeling like making a permanent line knowing you can't change it without consequence. I think that's how you improve and get better, because every ink line that's put down on your paper forces you to think, commit, and adapt."  - Jake Parker, creator of the original challenge

• What is Inktober?

RPFA64L.png"Inktober" is an art challenge for the duration of October, and it's simply about committing to making (at least) one drawing in ink each day. It was started by Jake Parker back in 2009, and over the past years it's becoming more popular in different art communities and among aspiring artists on social media.

Each artist or community tend to apply their own set of rules and limitations to the challenge, but the basics of it is only limiting yourself to use of ink (since it's a permanent medium and can't be tweaked or corrected as easily as digital art or some of the other traditional mediums), which helps with recognizing the bad drawing habits that inevitably develop over time, and finding a solution for it.

• So, what is this thread?

Last year I took my first shot at Inktober, and it turned out to be a lot more fun (and also a lot more challenging) than I expected, and I wanted to give it another go this year so I figured why not make it a Warframe fanart challenge and post a thread about it in the fanart subforum. Starting from the October 1st, I'll be posting one ink drawing a day in this thread, but I'm also inviting everyone else to join the challenge and hopefully we'll be able to put together a nice little collection of Warframe fanart in ink by the end of the month.

• Interested? Grab a pen and mark October 1st On your calendar.

Best thing about Inktober is, it's not a contest or a competition. Doesn't matter if you've been drawing for years, or started only recently. Doesn't matter if you love drawing in ink or find it scary and intimidating, and also, doesn't matter if the drawings you do throughout the month end up being absolutely amazing or awfully horrid. The challenge is about self-improvement, and as they say, "Practice makes perfect", but you can't call it practice unless you do it every day. So, long as you have fun doing it and improve through it, the goal of the challenge is achieved.

Edit: There's now an Official thread for Inktober! It's really nice to see the folk at DE promoting art-related challenges. So I'll be participating in that thread as well, if I (hopefully) have enough time to fit some more serious drawing time in my daily schedule.

With that thread up and running, what you can expect to see from me in this one will be a whole lot of trial & error and (maybe sometimes goofy) experimenting with different styles, so if any of the stuff you see here happen to be a style you're familiar with, feel free to drop some feedback about what might've gone wrong or how it could've been improved. Additionally, if you feel like joining in and having some fun of your own with Inktober, jump right in and start posting your stuff.

Edited by aerelm

Edit: In case anyone's wondering what happened to this thread - I decided to make my daily Inktober sketches unrelated to Warframe and instead do extra drawings for the official thread (when I have enough free time to do more than one drawing a day).

Happy Inktober, and see you in the official thread!

Edited by aerelm