Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Plains of Eidolon: Sniper Review!

[DE]Rebecca

Tenno!

We semi-recently talked about weapon fall-off here ( https://forums.warframe.com/topic/846609-plains-of-eidolon-distances-weapons/?page=1 ) and we indicated the Sniper school of weapons would be getting a pass.

Here we have information for you on what the pass looks like! Long range, here we come! The necessary preface here - this is a work in progress list. Everything you read here could change up until the last minute, but this at least provides intent. The weapon team has been working like crazy - so let's see what they've been up to:

General Sniper Changes:

• Reticle sway removed from all zoom levels!

• 1 meter punch through added to all snipers without any to start with (snipers with innate punch through unchanged).

• 1 combo count removed at a time when duration runs out instead of all of them (decay vs. cooldown).

• 1 combo count removed on miss instead of all of them

• Additional bullets from multishot will each count as their own hits and misses in the combo counter

• Combo duration reduced to 2 seconds for all snipers apart from Lanka which is reduced to 6

• Damage fall off begins at 400 meters and ends at 600 meters with damage reduced to 50% past 600 meters.

Specific Sniper Weapon Changes:

Vectis

• First level zoom +10% Damage replaced with +30% Head Shot Damage

• Second level zoom 15% Damage replaced with +50% Head Shot Damage

• Next round is chambered immediately after firing instead of waiting for fire rate to cycle

Vectis Prime

• Fire rate increased from 1.5 to 2.67

• First level zoom +15% Damage replaced with +35% Head Shot Damage

• First level zoom reduced from 4x to 3.5x

• Second level zoom 20% Damage replaced with +55% Head Shot Damage

• Second level zoom reduced from 10x to 6x

Snipetron

• Fire rate increased from 1.5 to 2

Snipetron Vandal

Rubico

• Fire rate increased from 1.5 to 2.67

• First level zoom reduced from 5x to 3.5x

• Second level zoom reduced from 12x to 6x

Vulkar

• Second level zoom 15% Damage replaced with +55% Head Shot Damage

• Second level zoom reduced from 6x to 4x

• Third level zoom 20% Damage replaced with +70% Head Shot Damage

• Third level zoom reduced from 12x to 8x

Vulkar Wraith

• Second level zoom 15% Damage replaced with +55% Head Shot Damage

• Second level zoom reduced from 6x to 4x

• Third level zoom 20% Damage replaced with +70% Head Shot Damage

Lanka

• Charge rate decreased from 1.5 to 1

• Second level zoom reduced from 7x to 5x

So there you have it for now - the Update notes will contain the final details, and if you have comments or discussion points please use this thread!

9 minutes ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Vectis

• Next round is chambered immediately after firing instead of waiting for fire rate to cycle

Will this work for Vectis Prime too, when using Depleted Reload?

That aside, why are you lowering the zoom levels, and having combo duration be only two seconds, that doesn't make any kind of sense, aren't you supposed to take your time with shots, rather than just using them like semi-auto assault rifles?

No removal of hip-fire accuracy penalty? These changes will be great for the plains, but without being able to consistently hip-fire Snipers are still going to be a pain pretty much everywhere else. 

Edit: Also, as the guy below me said, for being "precision" instruments, having such inconsistency in damage (through inconsistent critical stats) makes firing a sniper often feel more like playing a game of chance than playing a game of skill. 

All of this looks good but the main thing I'd like to see would probably be a crit chance buff on all snipers rifles. All snipers seem to have a super low crit chance for their rate of fire and makes it to where you'll shoot an enemy but do little damage because of you not getting a crit (Plus rifles also do not have 100% multishot making it even worse sometimes). A crit chance buff would make snipers more consistent in general and overall make it more engaging to use.

Neat!

Edit: After looking at the Sniper Rifles I was curious of the performance of the Lanka, being a projectile weapon over the hit-scan nature of the others, the wiki lists 200 m/s, and I wonder if that is fast enough for the ranges possible on the Plains?

As a real world comparison, the Barrett M82 is 853 m/s so the Lanka as a Gauss Rifle, I am curious about how it performs now and if there might be a need for an increase in velocity?

Why reduce zoom levels? You'd think with longer range you would need much more zoom, not less... Rubico's 2nd zoom from 12x to 6x? Are you kidding me...

Edit: If its because the game won't render enemies at long distance I can understand. If not, that's the complete opposite of what I wanted. 

1 minute ago, Stoner74 said:

Why reduce zoom levels? You'd think with longer range you would need much more zoom, not less... Rubico's 2nd zoom from 12x to 6x? Are you kidding me...

11 minutes ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Reticle sway removed from all zoom levels!

I'd say compensation.

15 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Snipetron Vandal

• Second level zoom 15% Damage replaced with +30% +50% Head Shot Damage

All the changes sound great! Not to sound too sinical, but whats the incentive for increasing zoom for the snipetron vandal if the bonus is the same at first level and second level? All other snipers reward increased zoom, so why not snipetron vandal? 

EDIT: TY for fixing :)

Thanks for the improved zoom multipliers - but I still want to start with shoulder-aiming before using the scope. Alternate fire should take you into scope, not just zoom in and out on the scope.
Regardless if there's finally a use for the scope, most of the content in the game still isn't at this size and it's too uncomfortable to main a sniper in a majority of tilesets.

Archived