Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Plains of Eidolon: Sniper Review!

[DE]Rebecca

Just now, Lholland said:

Actually, without sway a 400m shot will be a piece of cake, all you have to do is line it up

Yet again, you're assuming the snipers are 100% accurate and never deviate. This isn't the case at all. And the enemy is still going to be a pixel, scale it up and where are you actually aiming, its foot?

16 hours ago, Lholland said:

Actually, without sway a 400m shot will be a piece of cake, all you have to do is line it up

15 hours ago, DarkDullahan-Prime said:

Yet again, you're assuming the snipers are 100% accurate and never deviate. This isn't the case at all. And the enemy is still going to be a pixel, scale it up and where are you actually aiming, its foot?

and you're not shooting card board cut outs, these guys will patrol and move.

This thread made me bring back out my Vulkar Wraith back out of storage (well just the other day I used it to unlock a finicky riven but that was because it was my only rifle with spare slot space) and give it a whirl again. The zoom reduction works for the majority of tilesets to scale appropriately, however on the range of the Plains it seems to fall off short (barring of course if this is working within an enemy rendering distance with a max cap not too far higher than 600m).

Zoom suggestion: Add another tier of zoom, that way the snipers can both have increased sniping usage indoor and out.
Mods: a few people in the thread here have pointed out a desire for Sniper mods, I think that would be cool to see added in with the Plains and even has a thematic appropriateness
Damage: several people have been mentioning damage and/or crit buffs, I want to play with the headshot buff to see how that affects picking off enemies however enemies such as Nox are notoriously tanky and, barring a point blank Tigris Prime with a capped Covenant buff, usually don't like dying in one shot. I'd like to see how well the modifications to snipers go not only against generic Grineer but also in the beefier units such as Nox and Bombard.

I can't believe I nearly forgot about Dead Eye. I cautiously ask this, are there any plans to modify that aura mod?

EDIT: Also can we get a re-look at the sniping scopes? Or some way for them to be modifiable? I've got minor color contrast issues and I can't use the orange toned Vulkar scope in dark or dim tilesets (I pretty much keep my sniping on Corpus tilesets for their good contrast against the orange of the scope). Further several other scopes others have shown seem like they have no aiming reticle in the scoping feature which seems... unintuitive for a sniper.

3 minutes ago, DarkDullahan-Prime said:

You're not accounting weapon accuracy at all, snipers in WF aren't 100% accurate all the time. You're also assuming the "Pixel" of an enemy is going to sit still and wait for you to line it up.

Actually vectis does have pinpoint accuracy, it hits smack dab in the reticle every time

In a way I agree with the zoom changes, even the lowest setting can be nauseating to use in current tilesets, but i absolutely see everyone's points here, it is terrible timing at the very least. 

Maybe lower minimum settings and leave the max settings where they are, or just add 1 lower setting to every gun leaving all the other settings as is.

16 hours ago, AeneasofTroy said:

This thread made me bring back out my Vulkar Wraith back out of storage (well just the other day I used it to unlock a finicky riven but that was because it was my only rifle with spare slot space) and give it a whirl again. The zoom reduction works for the majority of tilesets to scale appropriately, however on the range of the Plains it seems to fall off short (barring of course if this is working within an enemy rendering distance with a max cap not too far higher than 600m).

Zoom suggestion: Add another tier of zoom, that way the snipers can both have increased sniping usage indoor and out.
Mods: a few people in the thread here have pointed out a desire for Sniper mods, I think that would be cool to see added in with the Plains and even has a thematic appropriateness
Damage: several people have been mentioning damage and/or crit buffs, I want to play with the headshot buff to see how that affects picking off enemies however enemies such as Nox are notoriously tanky and, barring a point blank Tigris Prime with a capped Covenant buff, usually don't like dying in one shot. I'd like to see how well the modifications to snipers go not only against generic Grineer but also in the beefier units such as Nox and Bombard.

I can't believe I nearly forgot about Dead Eye. I cautiously ask this, are there any plans to modify that aura mod?

what they can do is have weapons with scope have a customizable (or removable even) scope attachment and the bonus will vary depending on the scope. that way players can use their preferred zoom ranges. or like I said earlier, Aiming will be the standard shoulder view just like other guns and alt-fire for scope.

So after seeing this is it safe to assume that Harkonar Scope will be getting a nerf? 

2 second Combo durations before losing a stack on all the snipers but the Lanka and it's duration being 6 seconds, isn't an extra 12 seconds from Harkonar Scope a little much? 

It then makes it the opposite situation where instead of us almost always losing our entire combo it will be so that it's almost impossible for us to lose it without just spamming our ammo into the dirt. Unlike others in this thread I don't think DE is "trying to shove Harkonar Scope down our throats" but if this mod stays the same it will become very powerful indeed, but not necessarily a must use.

Also while I'm here could we get a look taken at mods like Rifle Aptitude, Sure Shot, and Shotgun Savy? They all get so little benefit from how much mod space they take up. Unless the idea behind them is sort of like the philosophy behind making Magic Cards with varying levels of power so that people can come along and find hidden gems here and there that they may like to appeal to as many playstyles as possible, which if that's the case than more power to you, but I don't think it is due to how old these mods are and the residual power increase of the game overtime. 

Honestly, after testing all week in simulacrum, I was hoping for a 16X zoom setting for pretty much all snipers, as I felt at 150 ish M, even using the 12X scope felt too far away and unable to get reliable headshots on moving targets.

Now our "Best" Snipers are going to be capped at 8X... And we're supposed to pull off shots up from 400 meters away somehow (That's like 3x the distance you can achieve in simulacrum).

Even worse, you guys have been talking of basically adding damage falloff on pretty much every weapon that's not a sniper, which give me the impression all our existing guns will get worse in the process AND snipers will have less range than they used to. What's the point of creating a big open space if you make all our weapons unable to hit anything far away ? Is it a draw distance issue with enemies or something ?

Really hope you reconsider and give most snipers a 16X supplementary zoom level on top of the existing zoom levels. It's okay for some snipers to be more tailored for close to medium range sniping, but we at least need a couple snipers that focus on very long range sniper (I mean ,seriously, you're going to make the VECTIS PRIME have a 6X zoom... C'mon, it's pretty much the bolt action sniper of this game)...

2 minutes ago, (PS4)Stealth_Cobra said:

Honestly, after testing all week in simulacrum, I was hoping for a 16X zoom setting for pretty much all snipers, as I felt at 150 ish M, even using the 12X scope felt too far away and unable to get reliable headshots on moving targets.

Now our "Best" Snipers are going to be capped at 8X... And we're supposed to pull off shots up from 400 meters away somehow...

Even worse, you guys have been talking of basically adding damage falloff on pretty much every weapon that's not a sniper, which give me the impression all our existing guns will get worse AND snipers will have less range than they used to, instead of all our guns having more range due to the plains being open space AND our snipers having even more zoom now that we're out of small corridors.

Heck, with plains I wouldn't mind if they added at minimum a 20x zoom to all snipers. That'd make my day. Landing a super long shot is the most satisfying thing, and that's why we play sniper-centric games. It's something we yearn for and strive to obtain. Though the damage falloff on normal weapons makes sense (if they aren't going to add ballistic effects), but definitely not to snipers. 

16 hours ago, (PS4)Stealth_Cobra said:

Now our "Best" Snipers are going to be capped at 8X... And we're supposed to pull off shots up from 400 meters away somehow...

Even worse, you guys have been talking of basically adding damage falloff on pretty much every weapon that's not a sniper, which give me the impression all our existing guns will get worse AND snipers will have less range than they used to, instead of all our guns having more range due to the plains being open space AND our snipers having even more zoom now that we're out of small corridors.

there's not even any point in damage fall off anymore if they do, because feel free to kill something from 600m with a x6 scope and lets see you benefit from that head shot damage bonus.

15 hours ago, DarkDullahan-Prime said:

Heck, with plains I wouldn't mind if they added at minimum a 20x zoom to all snipers. That'd make my day. Landing a super long shot is the most satisfying thing, and that's why we play sniper-centric games. It's something we yearn for and strive to obtain. 

yeah from one end of the map to the other :D

6 hours ago, (PS4)Abbysal-Void said:

sad rubico nerf

How the hell was it nerfed? The numbers you see are the zoom power not the crit damages. The only thing that can be considered a "nerf" is the bonus damage being converted to bonus damage on headshot, but that's something that can be improved with practicing using snipers. When you get used to it, it ends up being a buff

1 minute ago, Kurambik said:

How the hell was it nerfed? The numbers you see are the zoom power not the crit damages. The only thing that can be considered a "nerf" is the bonus damage being converted to bonus damage on headshot, but that's something that can be improved with practicing using snipers. When you get used to it, it ends up being a buff

12x Zoom go bye bye. Rippo tenno (some of us like the 12x zoom)

Archived