Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Plains of Eidolon: Sniper Review!

[DE]Rebecca

3 minutes ago, -InarosPrime- said:

Changes seem good so far, but the biggest problem snipers have left is consistency. Most snipers, besides the lanka, have inconsistent crits which is quite bad for a weapon designed to single target damage. It feels bad when one shot kills an enemy but the next shot barely makes a dent. Take for example the vectis prime and rubico, both only have 25% base crit chance which goes up to 62.5% after point strike. The rubico in particular heavily relies on crit for its dmg. If snipers like that could be buffed so that they can reach at least 90-100% crit after point strike I think snipers would be in a great place for the release of POE.

This is real good stuff.  I back this 100%.  Snipers in video games are notable for their consistent high single-shot damage and kill potential.  With the current crit potential of snipers in Warframe, snipers fail to meet this standard and getting consistency on their absurd damage potential.

I'm definitely all for the +headshot damage thing, it's nice to see snipers finally rewarding skill a bit more, although I still had few critiques:

• Snipers' reliance on critical hits to due the bulk of their damage still doesn't sit well with me since it makes dealing optimal damage a matter of luck and skill rather than luck. I believe headshot multipliers should be a separate entity from snipers so that dealing more damage on headshots (crit or non-crit) can vary depending on weapon type (with snipers being the best obviously). At the very least, give snipers a guaranteed crit on headshots or something.
  • Would still very much love to see the hipfire accuracy nerf revert. I don't think being able to aim straight without being scoped in at all times would make snipers game-breakingly powerful.
  • Honestly not a huge fan of the combo mechanic due to how counter-intuitive it is to a sniper's role of being a slow, heavy damage dealer. And while I'm okay with the upcoming changes, I think a better route would be for it to just last a long time but only be affected by weakpoint shots.
  • While I'm all for scope zoom being reduced across the board, perhaps Eagle Eye could be buffed to unlock additional zoom levels and scope-bonuses for snipers? It would certainly make the mod all the more worth using on the Plains.

28 minutes ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

So there you have it for now - the Update notes will contain the final details, and if you have comments or discussion points please use this thread!

Just for clarity, my top 3 most used weapons are Sniper rifles. Over 3k in-game hours played.

The combo changes are nice, other than reducing most of them down to a base of 2s. I personally would prefer 4s-5s, with the Lanka keeping it's 10.

I love the punchthrough changes, Snipers are now at least catching up to Bows.

However I feel that the increased headshot damage should just be innate to all Sniper rifles, while keeping the old scoped-in buffs for the Snipers you changed.

Having a base of 30% Status & 30% Critical Chance (at least) for the clunky heavy hitting Snipers (Vectis Prime, Lanka) would put them right on par with Bows. Since currently, Bows can red critical strike with relative ease.

All in all, thanks for the changes.

35 minutes ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Snipetron Vandal

• Second level zoom 15% Damage replaced with +30% Head Shot Damage

Please tell me that this is a typo and should be +50% or +55% head shot damage. Why does the normal snipetron, which hasn't even seen the light for ages, get a stronger buff?

Edit: Okay, was a typo and is fixed. Thanks very much!

Otherwise, long appreciated and cool-looking buffs. Glad snipers finally get the attention they deserve.

15 minutes ago, Stoner74 said:

Why reduce zoom levels? You'd think with longer range you would need much more zoom, not less... Rubico's 2nd zoom from 12x to 6x? Are you kidding me...

Edit: If its because the game won't render enemies at long distance I can understand. If not, that's the complete opposite of what I wanted. 

You would think, I don't understand the logic behind the zoom change myself either.

13 minutes ago, Corial said:

I'd say compensation.

The "compensation" doesn't equal out at all. 

11 minutes ago, (Xbox One)Tucker D Dawg said:

probably because the zoom was too extreme to begin with

edit to add: ESPECIALLY if sway is removed.

Yes, maybe for standard tiles, on a large open field this now brings in options of equipping the gear that suits terrain instead of having snipers in most normal gameplay, they now have more of a specialized location to be used, this change negates that factor.

6 minutes ago, ALuckyTeddyBear said:

Give me back my vectis prime zoom range! I don't care if the headshot bonus stays at 55%!

Preach, the zoom was what I was looking forward to taking advantage of the most in PoE.

3 minutes ago, VerinESC said:

While most of this is great news, why lower the zoom levels? The complaint before was that it was too much in most tilesets but with PoE extra zoom will be welcome. I've been playing with all Snipers for a few weeks and the zoom is just about right for the Simulcrum let alone a field

This point exactly, there are still large tiles where even the Rubico's max zoom is just right, changing this for a 9km^2 map makes absolutely zero sense.

3 minutes ago, (PS4)jFresh215 said:

I don't think so. It was buffed and the decrease in the zoom level is good. May have been good for PoE but you gotta imagine that this will also effect all other game play. that 12x zoom was unusable on most maps.

Unit specialization, if it's unfit for it don't use it for it, that's how the ecology of Warframe has always been. There shouldn't be a point to hinder the aspects of gameplay where it would thrive just for someone complaining about a long-range scope in close-quarters-combat, that's highly illogical and it really disappoints me as a long-time sniper user.

31 minutes ago, [DE]Rebecca said:
  • 1 combo count removed on miss instead of all of them (additional attacks from multishot also count as misses)
  • Combo duration reduced to 2 seconds for all snipers apart from Lanka which is reduced to 6

I'm not really a sniper user but they (in bold) seem a little harsh to me... it's basically restricting how you mod the weapons by saying if you want a combo counter don't use multishot and make sure you have high speed reload type mods

1 minute ago, LSG501 said:

I'm not really a sniper user but they (in bold) seem a little harsh to me... it's basically restricting how you mod the weapons by saying if you want a combo counter don't use multishot and make sure you have high speed reload type mods

except its NOT the entire combo...its only a point every 2 seconds (or 6 for the lanka)

Woot, looks good to me. Although I might miss the 10x scope on the Vectis Prime occasionally, the other buffs are totally worth it. And if I somehow find room for Eagle Eye I can still bring it up to a 8.4x, which is more than sufficient for most gameplay and probably fine for the Plains (of course, Eagle Eye does look a little weak compared to Hawk Eye *hint hint*). I'm still not a huge fan of having a combo counter for snipers in the first place, but this will definitely be a huge improvement over what we have now. So basically, rework looks great and I can't wait to do some sniping in the Plains. :satisfied:

39 minutes ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Vectis Prime

• Fire rate increased from 1.5 to 2.67

• First level zoom +15% Damage replaced with +35% Head Shot Damage

• First level zoom reduced from 4x to 3.5x

• Second level zoom 20% Damage replaced with +55% Head Shot Damage

• Second level zoom reduced from 10x to 6x

• Next round is chambered immediately after firing instead of waiting for fire rate to cycle

Can you explain this? Vectis prime has two shots per magazine; If the second shot is loaded immediately why even need to increase fire rate? It seems like fire rate should be irrelevant since you would automatically get two shots at how ever fast you pull the trigger and then immediately have the reload animation.

Archived