Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Plains of Eidolon: Sniper Review!

[DE]Rebecca

42 minutes ago, Kalvorax said:

oh, then my mistake...always thought the rubico was greineer due to the style and default coloring (since it came out around the same time as the harpak)

Harpak came out in Update 17, Rubico came out in Update 18. There's roughly half a year difference there.

Some of these changes were very much needed.

There seem to be one critical oversight - flight speed of projectiles fired from Lanka.

Let's say I want to shoot the target at max range of 600m using a Lanka. Assuming gravity doesn't exist with 200m/s flight speed projectile will travel 3 seconds before hitting the target rendering it pretty much useless compared to any other sniper rifle. What I mean is Lanka is supposed to be technologically advanced Corpus sniper rifle (probably a railgun, which can exceed 3000m/s), yet the projectile flight speed is similar to primitive 19th century musket. Modern rifles muzzle velocity (initial velocity) exceeds 1200m/s, it drops over distance, but nonetheless at said range of 600m it shouldn't drop nowhere near as low as 200m/s.

Projectile flight speed value equal 200m/s should be quadrupled at least, because the current value is simply preposterous for a supposedly long range weapon - while fired horizontally projectile wouldn't reach even 150m, considering horizontal projection equation as follows: d=v0*squareroot(2*H/g), d - distance, v0 - initial velocity, H - hight at which weapon was fired. Now lets assume Lanka is being fired horizontally while standing, held at H=1,6m, g=9,81m/s^2 (on Earth), distance will come out at 114m. Are you sure Lanka is indeed a sniper rifle not a neolithic slingshot?

7 hours ago, saradonin said:

Some of these changes were very much needed.

There seem to be one critical oversight - flight speed of projectiles fired from Lanka.

Let's say I want to shoot the target at max range of 600m using a Lanka. Assuming gravity doesn't exist with 200m/s flight speed projectile will travel 3 seconds before hitting the target rendering it pretty much useless compared to any other sniper rifle. What I mean is Lanka is supposed to be technologically advanced Corpus sniper rifle (probably a railgun, which can exceed 3000m/s), yet the projectile flight speed is similar to primitive 19th century musket. Modern rifles muzzle velocity (initial velocity) exceeds 1200m/s, it drops over distance, but nonetheless at said range of 600m it shouldn't drop nowhere near as low as 200m/s.

Projectile flight speed value equal 200m/s should be quadrupled at least, because the current value is simply preposterous for a supposedly long range weapon - while fired horizontally projectile wouldn't reach even 150m, considering horizontal projection equation as follows: d=v0*squareroot(2*H/g), d - distance, v0 - initial velocity, H - hight at which weapon was fired. Now lets assume Lanka is being fired horizontally while standing, held at H=1,6m, g=9,81m/s^2 (on Earth), distance will come out at 114m. Are you sure Lanka is indeed a sniper rifle not a neolithic slingshot?

Sometimes is good to read description on Wiki from A to Z. As for Lanka try Trivia section.

Edit: Your Calculations got me. Do u think that on Venus Openworld will be Lanka even slower?

So now ive played it. The zooms on my lanka are COMPLETELY redundant.

These zoom changes never should have happened. Theres 30 pages of people saying dont do this..... and it still went through.

Im throwing my hands in the air here guys....

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious....what's the chance of getting a sniper rifle in PoE that has a radius projectile like arca plasmor for taking out targets side by side instead of in a line......or having one with a projectile that could be detonated either manually or auto detonate over targets with alternate firing mechanic.

1 minute ago, motorfirebox said:

At what range?

Kinda hard to know exactly as the range doesn't show for bows.  But when comparing with distances previously shown when using the Arca Scisco, Rubico, and Vectis P, I can honestly say that I was using the Daikyu at 100m +.  I know this because Dashwire stops working on distances more than 100m.  

17 hours ago, DatDarkOne said:

Kinda hard to know exactly as the range doesn't show for bows.  But when comparing with distances previously shown when using the Arca Scisco, Rubico, and Vectis P, I can honestly say that I was using the Daikyu at 100m +.  I know this because Dashwire stops working on distances more than 100m.  

Consistently hitting targets at 100m+ takes skill, but that range is well below what I'd expect for sniping. Of course, enemies in the plains tend to despawn somewhere around 150m if they're not actively engaging with you, so it doesn't really seem like there's a place for sniping even in PoE.

8 minutes ago, motorfirebox said:

Consistently hitting targets at 100m+ takes skill, but that range is well below what I'd expect for sniping. Of course, enemies in the plains tend to despawn somewhere around 150m if they're not actively engaging with you, so it doesn't really seem like there's a place for sniping even in PoE.

You left out one other major issue.  Without some form of enemy radar, it's pretty dang hard to even see/find the enemies.  I've had enemies right next to me and still had problems seeing them due to terrain and their camouflage.  

I made a special Ivara build last night just for PoE to maximize my enemy and loot radar.  Once enemies are at the 150m or higher range, it takes quite a bit of skill/awareness just to spot them to snipe even using the scopes zoom.

20 hours ago, Madinvent3r said:

So when are we going to get semi auto marksman rifles that don't suck like the latrons???? I feel a very distinct lack of semi auto weapons(that don't suck). Other than that i'm happy with the changes.

Speak for yourself. My latron prime is a beast. It's just your opinion, no one can change that, but that doesn't mean the weapons are overall bad. You want a good marksman rifle with a semi-auto fire? Argonak. It's very capable.

• 4 weeks later...

i rely don't like the zoom changes there cinder pointles becouse i cant tel much difrenc from a 0x and 3.5x yet alone 3.5x to 6x also the 3.5x is useles on the planes becous at that range a sniper is redundent and pointles becouse a nomel rifel is more useful and dangerus at that range wher a 3.5x is used. and a 6x is ok but it reqiers work to hit hedshots plus its just out of the agro ramge of the mortes which is whar a sniper if for, to stay at a safe range whiel doing good damige

so the way i wold fix this is to give snipers 3 stages of zoom insted of 2 for exampel for the rubico give it 4x to 6x to 9 or 10. you might think the extra 0.5x on the ferst stage is pointles but it dos change a lot try it if you don't think so and the 9x or 10x seams a bit much but it is what i think is where the sweet spot is to see 400 to 500 meaters max (not tested thow) 

sorry for bad spelling its bad i know but i hope my point got across to you. thanx for reading :)

• 2 weeks later...

Snipers get buffed?

I have actually tought alot about WF and Snipers. I would love to have a cool sniping character and a awsome sniper.
I got Vectis and its good.

Sad thing is that i see no use of sniper in this game.

If i was a youtube video guy. I would make a video: How to snipe in warframe.

I would take Valkyr and get myself to really nice high spot for sniping. Then pull out Tigris and oneshot 5 enemies from long range.
U see... Iw done that alot and laughed my &#! off. Why would i ever use Vectis if i can get 5 enemies from long range with Tigris.

Its not about nerfing Tigris but this game has no map or missions that would make Sniper rifle really feel like the best pick.
Enemies spawn constantly and in MASSES. Weapons with ultra high attackspeed or large spread with huge damage seem the best.
+ Maps are small.

Im pretty noob tho. However i have all planets unlocked and i have not seen a map/system/mission that would encoarage me to use sniper rifle.
Not once.

Sidenote:
Im really hoping that WF wont go down and it grows with content.This game reminds me alot of Borderlands. It has a lot  of things done better and lacks some of really awsome stuff like characteristics... well borderands characters would not fit in anyways so thats not actually point where i would want to compare 2 games.
OFC BL was mostly keeping its player base with characters, dialogues n stuff like this but this is not comparable with WF due a lot of reasons.
This game has some really similar mechanics and is even visually similar. That is why i tend to compare those 2. Even if they are so different in so many levels.
I am mostly missing the part where you are benefiting from planning your attack and taking down possible threats first.

MAPS and SPAWNS.

To really feel satisfied of using sniper, player needs a MAP that lets him snipe STRONG enmies from far away. Those maps should have some areas that dont allow MASS RESPAWN. So when sniper take down some *** ***** **** *** dude he feels instantly rewarded.
Another concept would be that you have few strong units that must be taken down frolong range while team fights usual mass spawn crap units.

So my fantasy would be.

Players spawn at sabotage mission, far away from enemy base. This base is guarded by random grineer units and special units.
Special unit example: Tesla Brawler - unit is big and heavy. Wielding a huge tesla cannon in both hands. As guard unit he is linked to base defense system.
Tesla Brawler is immune to any damage due having strong electrical and magnetical field surrounding him. This field nullifies all warframe abilities (30m range) and any attacks to him. When alerted he will lock his cannons to the ground greating heavy elecrical damage waves every 5 seconds within 50m range and spawn 3 drones around him who are also immune from close/med range attacks.
Guard unit has to be taken down to access next area. Door to this area is guarded by lazer fences powered by Tesla Brawler.

To take down Tesla Brawler: player must kill 3 drones flying around him, powering his field. After drones are down, tesla will maintain damage immunity in 100m range but will be vulnerable from long range attacks. At this point unit is in rage mode, smashing melee attacks and shooting his heavy electrical cannons.

Skilled sniper is needed to take down Tesla Brawler by shooting his weak spots from long range so team could pass the area.

IM pretty sure DEs would have tons of more and better ideas to make snipers more useful. Seems to me that atm they just have not thought about Sniping so much.

Цитата

Sad thing is that i see no use of sniper in this game.

Killing Eidolon and ships in PoE is the only use (this is also why having high zoo is pretty bad, Eidolon is kinda close to us so you end up running away 3 kilometers away to properly "snipe" it)

Цитата

Then pull out Tigris and oneshot 5 enemies from long range.

Try shooting a boss like Eidolon or Lephantis with it or PoE ship like Ogma. Report back later how "well" it went.

Snipers will never be a "way to go" weapons in a game like warframe, they're only will be used gor bosses and similar enemies because no one has the time camping and sniping when you need to kill stuff as fast as possible in most cases.

1 hour ago, -Temp0- said:

Killing Eidolon and ships in PoE is the only use (this is also why having high zoo is pretty bad, Eidolon is kinda close to us so you end up running away 3 kilometers away to properly "snipe" it)

Try shooting a boss like Eidolon or Lephantis with it or PoE ship like Ogma. Report back later how "well" it went.

Snipers will never be a "way to go" weapons in a game like warframe, they're only will be used gor bosses and similar enemies because no one has the time camping and sniping when you need to kill stuff as fast as possible in most cases.

Or you know, if you just want to sit back and snipe cannon fodder at a distance like a lot of people that want to use snipers for.... -gasp- sniping. And it's not good to assume that everyone shares the sentiments or skill levels in sniping in close quarters just because you're not the best at it. And you can very easily take down lephantis, teralyst, and ogma with sniper...trivially so in fact.

• 1 month later...

I main snipers in tilesets now for fun, and use the second zoom level (quick scoping) on vectis for the increased damage bonus. In my opinion this just shows how little the zoom is currently.

I love first zoom as it is, but second zoom just feels like first zoom but with a better bonus, at least for vectis. For vulkar wraith I think it's the same and third zoom feels like what second zoom should be. Haven't used my rubico in a while but I think it's a similar problem.. Half of my primary weapons are snipers. Huh.

Maybe I'm just crazy to be using snipers on such a high zoom level outside of PoE but I feel about as gimped on that zoom level as I do on the first one. I don't hip fire ever, even if I don't hit too many headshots where the %headshot bonus matters (seriously, grineer armour blocks headshots from behind I'm pretty sure, and it's so annoying. Hitscan should check as far as punchthrough pierces, and then deal damage to the highest body part modifier)

in PoE I almost *always* use second zoom level, and it's usually not enough for me to hit anything past 200m, maybe I'm not as good at long distance aiming

edit: oh and about crits being way too luck based, on a low fire rate weapon... I agree, to the point I'd give up my upper bounds damage (get headshot crit with vigilante set, hunters munitions, multishot, and corrosive proc.) for this: each shot deals the average damage per shot a shot opposed to being based on chance, for both crit chance and vigilante set chance. So if I had a 50% of dealing 2.0x damage per shot, just give me 1.5x damage on all shots.

double edit: why is vulkar wraith's 20% not that low for sniper crit chance while 20% on Daikyu is trash tier crit on bows? Pls

Archived