Plains of Eidolon: Sniper Review!

3 hours ago, Stoner74 said:

Its a bad compensation and I really hope they revert it. 

It was extreme for small tilesets. Its another story in wide open areas like PoE. 

Small tilesets are still 90% of the game. The plains aren't going to be your permanent home for all eternity. Even if you do want to permanently set up camp there, the weapons still need to be usable for everyone else. And trust me, 8x-12x is more than enough even in plains. You will never make shots from one side of the 2.3km map to the other. It'll be unlikely that you even make shots longer than 600m, which is the falloff range for sniper rifles anyway.

2 minutes ago, (PS4)Cyotis said:

Awesome changes! Thank you for looking at these again. The slow degrading effect on the sniper combo counter would be nice on melee combos too as mentioned earlier. 

Iam interested in the weapon sound mechanics. How far will the sound of our guns travel? That maybe an interesting stat for each gun to make them different. Do I need to put the Silencer mod on my Snipers? Maybe not if the sound only goes 100-200 meters. I can kill without alerting the whole out post perhaps. Unless they find a body or something.

Actually disintegrating bodies would be and awesome lanka buff.

1 minute ago, That-Lamer said:

Small tilesets are still 90% of the game. The plains aren't going to be your permanent home for all eternity. Even if you do want to permanently set up camp there, the weapons still need to be usable for everyone else. And trust me, 8x-12x is more than enough even in plains. You will never make shots from one side of the 2.3km map to the other. It'll be unlikely that you even make shots longer than 600m, which is the falloff range for sniper rifles anyway.

that is what the smaller zoom levels on the snipers are for. you don't need to use the 100% zoom all the time.

• Like 1

Was hoping for a zoom increase for the non-prime Vectis, especially with its default 3x,and 4.5x (4.2x, 6.3x the Eagle eye mod), while yes it says in-game, and wiki it's meant for close to medium ranges, but I kinda feel left out on the whole "Snipers damage drop offs are gonna be 400m, whereas rifle are gonna be 300m. The non-prime Vectis doesn't get this considering I have to glue my face to the screen just to see an enemy more than 80m away.  Thanks for reading, would like to see other people opinion on this, please be nice, and as said by [DE] Rebecca, some of these could change. :)

Just now, ADDgamer45 said:

that is what the smaller zoom levels on the snipers are for. you don't need to use the 100% zoom all the time.

Even the lowest level of zoom is overkill in normal tilesets. I don't need to see a grineer's pores in order to put a bullet in his head.

2 hours ago, GhostJak1 said:

That moment when you realize real bullets have flight speed and ppl have shot other ppl at over 1.5 miles away + at those distances they even have to take into account how much the earth is going to rotate durring that time of flight which is about 4-6 seconds 😱 and that's not even taking into account humidity, wind drift, spin drift, barometric pressure, elevation to target all things needed to know to make long shots. Gotta git gud and just compensate for enemy movement 

While I agree with this, damage falloff is a bit ridiculous. Even at 1.5 miles that bullet is still deadly. A sniper from the future should NOT have to worry about the bullet itself dealing less than lethal hits. Ever. Missing, yes. Alerting enemy 'cause bullet sprayed them with dirt, sure. But if they catch one in the dome, from any distance, it should be death. Falloff on snipers should be eradicated as an idea. Armour can stop many bullet types, but a sniper round will still most likely rend it and the body within.

Instead of falloff, I propose an increasing ricochet % chance/distance. Upon ricochet, a low percent of the damage of the shot can be dealt and the enemy alerted, as it's a hit at a bad angle to the armour.

Grineer wear hard metallic armour, so that at least would be a realistic problem unless you had a dead on hit.

Again, Falloff is NOT the solution with snipers. Sniping is an art and should be fun. Don't detract from it like that.

Oh hell yeah! Rubico keeps its crit damage zoom multipliers. While the headshot multipliers are very juicy, it's wayy better off with its crit damage. The formula for Critical Headshots are:

Critical Headshot Damage = Damage × Critical Multiplier × Headshot Multiplier × Headcrit Multiplier

Say we have a Rubico that does 1000 base damage and has a vital sense to bring it's crit damage to 6.6x. Critical headshots:

Unzoomed:

1000 x 6.6 (crit multiplier) x 2 (headshot multiplier) x 2 (headcrit multiplier) = 26,400

Zoomed with a change to 55% headshot damage:

1000 x 6.6 x 2.55 x 2 = 33,660

Zoomed with Rubico 50% Crit Damage Buff:

1000 x (8.1) x 2 x 2 = 32,400

While there is only a 4% decrease in damage for critical headshots against snipers with the 55% headshot damage, the Rubico will out-perform them all in bodyshots, which, if we're being realistic, is happening most of the time, especially with punch-through. I'm giving DE a big thanks for keeping my favorite sniper rifle as is. I'm sure Lanka users are also happy for their 125% base critical chance.

16 hours ago, That-Lamer said:

We have more than one Zoom Level. they shouldnt have touched the higher zoom levels because thats what they are for, for long distance engagements. nerfing the first levels of Zoom is fine so it could be a little easier at closer engagements but Nerfing the Higher Zoom levels down the ground (Rubico from x12 to x6 may the zoom god have mercy on you) is just non-sense, specially with the upcoming PoE.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, (Xbox One)DomTheKilleur said:

I'll be honest, I'm a bit disapointed by the combo duration. Besides that, no more scope sway and punch through Hek yes!

The innate punchthrough is indeed nice but pretty much now replacing Shred on builds for Harkonar scope, although the combo system will actually be functional now hopefully.

4 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Snipetron

• Fire rate increased from 1.5 to 2

• First level zoom +10% Damage replaced with +30% Head Shot Damage

• Second level zoom 15% Damage replaced with +50% Head Shot Damage

You know, it's really cool y'all buffed all the snipers.

But I'm bothered by this one specifically.

Can we PLEASE have the normal Snipetron re-released? I'll sacrifice a goat if I have to, or a keg of beer. I just REALLY wanna get the normal Snipetron because it's one of, like, 3 weapons (that are non-founders) that I am missing. 

In my experienced opinion, 6x zoom at 400 meters is... Rough to say the least. I have a 600 meter sight line at home, and a 3-9x40 scope on my rifle. 9x zoom at 600 yards gives you a little bitty speck of a target. And I'm talking full size white tail deer. I think dropping the default zoom to 6x is a little ridiculous. Just my opinion but as a long range target shooter in the real world, this is a little more challenging than I think y'all might realize.  Trying to aim at something a few pixels in size.

Just now, Chitanda.Eru said:

You have 3 weapons. Bring out your Melee or your Secondary if they are that close to your face.

7 minutes ago, ADDgamer45 said:

if you are standing that close you should probably just melee them...

I'll just melee them or shoot them with my pistol on sniper only sorties. 👌

Maybe you'd have a point if there wasn't a penalty for hip firing, but there is. And since the damage the shots do scales with zoom level, "just don't use the higher zooms if you're that close" is a braindead suggestion, which I could easily counter to with "learn how to aim without the crutch of ultra high magnification". It's a non starter, and not worthy of discussion.

4 minutes ago, That-Lamer said:

Maybe you'd have a point if there wasn't a penalty for hip firing, but there is. And since the damage the shots do scales with zoom level, "just don't use the higher zooms if you're that close" is a braindead suggestion, which I could easily counter to with "learn how to aim without the crutch of ultra high magnification". It's a non starter, and not worthy of discussion.

It is a sortie... it is meant to be a challenge... and that is the penalty for using a gun designed for long ranges in a tiny little room.

Edited by ADDgamer45
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:
  • Combo duration reduced to 2 seconds for all snipers apart from Lanka which is reduced to 6

The Vulkar Wraith has a longer reload time and shoots fractionally faster - Why does the Lanka have a duration so much higher?

Edited by Reelix
15 hours ago, That-Lamer said:

Sniper Only Missions are restricted only to sorties. and lets be real. People cheese these missions. they either bring Mesa, Titania or Ivara.

"Maybe you'd have a point if there wasn't a penalty for hip firing, but there is. And since the damage the shots do scales with zoom level, "just don't use the higher zooms if you're that close" is a braindead suggestion, which I could easily counter to with "learn how to aim without the crutch of ultra high magnification". It's a non starter, and not worthy of discussion."

The DPS of landing your shots faster and easier at low level zoom in close range vs forcibly trying to use the max zoom levels with a bit higher damage at close engagements, missing some shots, taking longer to land hits. You're using your weapons wrong. and you should learn the tricks of the trade in sorties if you're having this problems kid.

• Like 1
Just now, ADDgamer45 said:

It is a sortie... it is ment to be a challenge... and that is the penalty for using a gun designed for long ranges in a tiny little room.

Here I was thinking the challenge was "single target weapon with a low fire rate and anemic magazine capacity in a horde shooter" 🤔

1 minute ago, Reelix said:

The Vulkar Wraith has a 3 second reload time - This will make it impossible to maintain a combo in its natural state...

The combo isn't disappearing when the counter runs out with these changes though. It just goes down by one. And since each round from multishot counts as it's own shot for the combo too with these changes, you shouldn't have any problems building combo on Vulkar.

A sniper should be a 1 shot 1 kill weapon.

However, I am not sure whether the increased headshot multiplier could help the sniper to catch-up with grinner high armor inflation after 80 levels.

Guaranteed slash proc while landing head shot should be a solution for sniper to deal with the end-game meta.

Hope that DE will consider my suggestion as it's only reward player with nice shooting skill instead of changing the sniper to brainless meta weapon by increasing damage solely.

2 minutes ago, Chitanda.Eru said:

Sniper Only Missions are restricted only to sorties. and lets be real. People cheese these missions. they either bring Mesa, Titania or Ivara.

"Maybe you'd have a point if there wasn't a penalty for hip firing, but there is. And since the damage the shots do scales with zoom level, "just don't use the higher zooms if you're that close" is a braindead suggestion, which I could easily counter to with "learn how to aim without the crutch of ultra high magnification". It's a non starter, and not worthy of discussion."

The DPS of landing your shots faster and easier at low level zoom in close range vs forcibly trying to use the max zoom levels with a bit higher damage at close engagements, missing some shots, taking longer to land hits. You're using your weapons wrong. and you should learn the tricks of the trade in sorties if you're having this problems kid.

🤔

I'm pretty sure I can get through sorties just fine, and now that scopes are going to be reasonable consider the following: get closer. It sure is easy, "kid".

5 minutes ago, That-Lamer said:

🤔

I'm pretty sure I can get through sorties just fine, and now that scopes are going to be reasonable consider the following: get closer. It sure is easy, "kid".

So don't use snipers as snipers, ok cool. *Visibly Confused*

Edited by ADDgamer45
  • Like 1
16 hours ago, That-Lamer said:

🤔

what part of sniper rifles - a gun meant for long distance engagement being worked for Close quarters combat is reasonable. your reasoning are flawed.

"I'm pretty sure I can get through sorties just fine"

" I'll just melee them or shoot them with my pistol on sniper only sorties "

says the guy who used sniper rifle only sortie as an excuse for a comeback when we're talking about sniper rifles in general.

Edited by Chitanda.Eru
  • Like 1