Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Plains of Eidolon: Facts & Fundamentals of Focus 2.0

[DE]Rebecca

Yeaaa, I have to honestly say I really don't like this.

I mean, let's start with the most obvious just awful idea in this: Residuals. Why? Why not just make these effects passive? What is the benefit to forcing everyone to start their mission by stepping out of their frame just to activate the residuals? It doesn't make any sense. 

The mere fact that you need to go down a specific focus route at all to have a lot of energy to spend is a bad idea, because, hey, energy happens to be the thing that fuels the most fun part about every single warframe. You know what you don't ever want your players to run out of? Fun points!

Having to step out of your warframe to create a stationary zone where you can regenerate energy also just sounds like it will unnecessarily slow down the game. This is already a game where pretty much any frame that's strong when entrenched has a problem keeping up with the zippy ones that just run past all the enemies.

And lastly, I kind of want to play Warframe, not Operator. All these systems that force me to bring out the wimp aren't fun. The reasons why your warframe can't do the job are simply too damn contrived. Enemies that are simply arbitrarily immune to bullets and lasers because a warframe fired them? wut?

The only thing I can think of that would make the Operators focus as it stands even remotely worth using would be if the Eidolon can nullify Warframe powers..but operators movement is still atrocious from what I be seen. So idk. 

@[DE]Rebecca can we see the whole focus tree that way we can give you proper feedback. I'm not feeling the examples we have. 

Also operators movement, for Lotus sake fix that hogwash!

40 minutes ago, Alcoholism said:

This may seem like a silly question, but what about unspent points? Do they stay as is and the spent points are added to that unspent point pool?
I just want to make sure unspent points aren't completely cleared off the tree (clean slate) and then spent points are returned to a 0 point pool.

Unspent points are that... unspent. They stay in the pool. DE isn't going to erase unspent point for no reason whatsoever. ALL points are returned to you for spending.

1 minute ago, (Xbox One)RDeschain82 said:

The only thing I can think of that would make the Operators focus as it stands even remotely worth using would be if the Eidolon can nullify Warframe powers..but operators movement is still atrocious from what I be seen. So idk. 

@[DE]Rebecca can we see the whole focus tree that way we can give you proper feedback. I'm not feeling the examples we have. 

Also operators movement, for Lotus sake fix that hogwash!

Eidolons from what we have seen are immune to damage until affected somehow by the operators, which makes sense considering the only thing that can REALLY harm them hard is void energy, and these dudes are way bigger compared to the little drones we fight on Uranus and Lua.

In concept this works. But for warframe it doesn't.

Switching to operator and playing as the operator is still clunky and molasses like and it disrupts the flow of the game completely. 

I think its nice that you are respecing trees and all. But what I care about is your current focus obtaining system. Because as of now gaining focus and farming it now involves doing DRACO like missions.

When the system first came out at least any mission was viable with endless being broken]

In the second iteration there were key stealth missions that were not very engaging but not as mind numbing as draco.

And now literally DRACO or whatever the new loot cave is now, is the only mission type to reliably get focus.

Obtaining focus should be passive. Daily players dont want to dedicate a slot for focus.

Also what about the pool; That you have to spend focus on getting points to build your tree, focus to unlock all 3 levels of an ability and in addition to that the more you level up  a tree the longer your focus cooldown is? 

All i see is how you will fix passives, what i don't see is solutions to the other major problems that are plaguing the system. I have not participated in the focus system since march 1-2 years ago when convergence was introduced. And until that along with the other aspects of the focus system are change, that trend will continue for the duration i will play warframe for.

Okay so ... Madurai gets a cloak for stealth offence? Unairu gets a cloak for squad defense? and Naramon doesn't get a cloak because cloaks aren't for stealth. Absolutely flawless logic right there. I won't ever argue "there should be less stealth oriented abilities or mechanics", but if Naramon is suppose to center around being a rogue typed character ... you might wanna rethink the no cloak idea.

After the sacrificed of much of the viability stealth mechanic for the sake of the focus system currently sitting with a sledge hammer hanging over it, stripping the one intended stealth focus school of the only real stealth feature feels like the wrong direction. Fine, shadow step was over powered and probably should have been changed years ago. And sure, few people used it for stealth, as it was probably originally intended to be. But that really doesn't give licence to completely redesign the rogue idea beyond obvious traditional boundaries.

Anyone that has invested in Naramon or banked ahead with the hope of more stealth content to come is going to be face palming. And you can't shelve a focus school as easily as a ineffective warframe or weapon. In many case thousands of hours have been invested by players individually. Making up thousands to shift to another school because the idea of "rogue" is being redefined in warframe, isn't going to fly I don't think.

It's a ninja game ... sneak up quietly and ... keep it a ninja game. Pls? O_o

I am very happy with all of these changes so far, except for zenurik's second passive. Unless channeling is getting either a really good pass or a complete rework, it's just not as viable as the other melee builds that we currently have available. I'm not saying it needs to be energy overflow or even something similar, I'm just asking for it to not be tied to channeling while channeling is still not really a viable option for builds.

Also invisibility from Unairu doesn't seem quite right. Maybe instead of invisibility allies near you in Void Mode get either a set amount of damage mitigation or massively increased armor, whether that be a set amount or percentage based. I feel like this might fit better into the theme of "Outlasting the enemy."

With Madurai more damage from staying in Void Mode doesn't really feel like it fits with "holding nothing back and recklessly attacking their foes." Maybe instead it could function more like the Knell or the Arca Scisco, but instead of continued hits, its the more hits we take from enemies the more damage we push out, and have the decaying stacks for balance. That way we would still need to retreat if were taking to much damage but we can also keep taking to damage to push out more damage.

Just some thoughts, I'm sure if the community doesn't like it enough they will change it over time.

6 minutes ago, NeithanDiniem said:

Eidolons from what we have seen are immune to damage until affected somehow by the operators, which makes sense considering the only thing that can REALLY harm them hard is void energy, and these dudes are way bigger compared to the little drones we fight on Uranus and Lua.

I would like examples in context of how the operators focus will be used to fight the Eidolon, and not the corpus or grineer. Since that's the goal..

hmm, gonna have to withhold judgement until its released and I can see the rest of the school trees.

that said, warrior mode better make the operators more mobile, tho personally i think it'd be cool if, when in operator mood, we could have the ability to use something like those hover skates that Scrambus use, would make operators offer something that frames currently dont

5 minutes ago, NightBlitz said:

hmm, gonna have to withhold judgement until its released and I can see the rest of the school trees.

that said, warrior mode better make the operators more mobile, tho personally i think it'd be cool if, when in operator mood, we could have the ability to use something like those hover skates that Scrambus use, would make operators offer something that frames currently dont

Inb4 rep farm unlock.

2 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Dev Workshop: Facts & Fundamentals of Focus 2.0

Honorable Tenno,

Focus means Spoilers - The Second Dream!

[Read]

Lotus, have you forgotten exactly what each Tenno School represents - although, clearly, most of them are sufficiently intact?

In this spoiler hides an equally large response. Read on if interested.

Spoiler

Unairu: Was one of the more offensive/defensive 'classes', locking down enemies and stopping them from attacking, providing an opening.
Second Dream information about this Focus:

Spoiler

"They pushed themselves to Outlast the Enemy, to withstand all aggression without retreat. They believed that if the enemy could not match their endurance, then a battle could be won without having even commenced."

Spoiler

Instead of focusing on means to increase their survivability through direct combat, you've turned them into outright offensive-focused Tenno, exposing a weakness and using it.
Unairu should, to me, be the one that has passives that increase general defensive stats (health, shields, armor, and ways to amplify them - maybe through using defensive/offensive powers?). However, bonus armour and damage reflection? I approve of that.
Scenario:
Inaros VS Sentients.
Your Operator has stepped out, but then reversed upon seeing angry Sentient Fighters. Inaros now reflects damage taken to attackers and is even more durable, resulting in an unyielding advance and concluding in Hunhow raging at his own Fighters hitting themselves, and then forces the Fighters to extract.

Unairu is the sharp-spiked shield.

Madurai: Was recommended over Unairu due to more damage, but added slight damage bonuses beside this.
Second Dream information about this Focus:

Spoiler

"They followed the path of Engage The Enemy. Their swift, uncompromising onslaught, holding nothing back and recklessly attacking their foes, could vanquish an opponent before he had the chance to steel himself. Speed and savagery characterized this school."

Spoiler

A focus on stealth is not what Madurai were designed to do. They were about throwing themselves into the enemy without waiting on a stealth damage buff effect.
How I would change this is simple. Instead of being cloaked: Residual: Upon Operator Activation: All weapons have a damage multiplier that increases on successful hits; the faster you attack, the more damage you deal.

While this would seem to bring weapons with clips that are huge (Soma Prime, Supra Vandal, Tenora, Braton series, and others) into a state of overpowerment in comparison to the Tigris Prime, Kohm+Chroma, and other 'super OP and viable for Sortie' levels, it would change the way you fight and help you with jumping in.

On top of this, the same Residual effect should also give damage resistance until you are out of enemies to shoot, then, at the rate of Nullified Mutation Stacks, it fades.

And behold, a corpse-moon in your name, should this change be made. Madurai is the Sword.

Vazarin: Recommended for insta-revives, healing-over-time, but little else.
Second Dream information about this Focus:

Spoiler

"They trained to Counter the Enemy, and move with an opponent's attacks in order to nullify them. They maintained constant awareness in order to defend against all aggression."

Spoiler

While being seen as a 'useless' school to some who prefer Focus schools like Naramon for its confusion field and Zenruik for its free energy regen and enemy suspension, the changes to it, while having lost some of the other unnoticed benefits (such as reflecting damage to attackers), gained a more solid role.

Though personally, each Focus being set as 'Primary', and a 'Secondary' based on how this may go, should offer an overarching passive. I'll put examples here so I don't forget.
Focus School Benefits (benefits of selecting a 'class' to learn in):

Spoiler

Unairu: When shields fail, damage to you is reduced based on how long you have to wait for the shields to recharge.
Madurai: The first attack (or series of attacks) you make will always deal finisher damage, no matter the weapon, but only when alerted.
Vazarin: When near allies, health regenerates.
Naramon: Any squad member staying crouched for the time it takes before shields begin to charge immediately are cloaked; parkour, sliding, or crouch-walking will cause the cloak field to persist for longer. This only works when you're undetected. When in this cloak, enemies cannot detect you or hear your first shot. Snipers will always deal finisher damage - enough to kill them in the clip - after not being detected while having your scope on a target.
Zenurik: Energy regen occurs upon use of powers, and refunds half the energy spent if everyone uses powers within 10 seconds of eachother.

Zenurik: Recommended for free energy. That's it. Except to me, the suspension of enemies was also a benefit.

Spoiler

"They believed the clearest path to victory was to Dominate the Enemy. They sought to choke an opponent of all resources; that sheer strength could erase any resistance."

Spoiler

This Focus was preferred for power spam-a-holics, and will likely be used in conjunction with energy pizzas. This Focus should probably link enemy ability removal to energy regeneration.

Residual: Upon Operator Activation: Any successful kills with any powers within 10 seconds of each kill will result in an energy refund for all energy spent, all energy not spent is turned into energy pizzas that can be picked up and equipped on-the-spot in a gear slot (one of two forks) or turns into overshields that, when damaged, reflect 10x that damage to the attacker on your next attack. Any lethal, but not fatal enough to kill right out, attacks with powers on enemies that failed to kill them, force them to drop resources.

While this may give Zenurik even more of a fanbase, some of the benefits from these sections should connect to other Schools like Naramon.

Naramon: Recommended more for the affinity-from-melee-use and stealth from attacking rather for its confusion blasts, I used it more to confuse. It helped.

Spoiler

"This discipline focused on Knowing the Enemy, and the tacticians of Naramon believed that to truly understand a foe would confer the greatest advantage upon a warrior."

Spoiler

While the power to instantly disarm enemies is great, and so are the passives, I think something more like this would be how Naramon works:
Residual: Upon Operator Activation: Blocking and facing an enemy who is shooting you directly will return damage to them, and disarm them. Only returns damage if they are armed and were the one shooting.
Operator Gameplay: Void Beaming an enemy for a short time, if it doesn't kill them, confuses them. Void Blasting the confused enemy causes them to see you as an ally and take up the armament they dropped, but now against their cruel overlords. Doesn't work on bosses or robotics, except for the confusing part.

Naramon was a School I've always seen as the 'knowing assassin', who knows the enemy so deeply that they could end up saving them and perhaps befriending them a little too much. Perhaps mixing relations to certain weapons or power types would help individualize each Focus.

Example, with Naramon:
Naramon's Focus in combat is more subtle, preferring to mute the enemy by a single, rightly-placed hit nobody expected or by killing everyone without the target knowing.
Weapons preferred by this Focus' users, if they used it as intended: Snipers, Nikanas, daggers, throwable melees, throwing knives, bows, etc...
There would be a general damage buff to weapons like this when used with the Focus or something that amounts to a damage buff, like 'finisher damage on first hit'.

I hope that what I've provided should try to reassert the lost identities of some of these Focus Schools. No School should lose its identity, its 'class', over preference.

I.E: Naramon.

Intent:

Spoiler

Naramon was the assassin, the unseen, the knowing. 

Output:

Spoiler

Naramon steals your guns when you shoot them - a powerful tool better used on Nox, and any enemies using an Ignis, Supra, or similar fast-fire high-damage armaments (that can be disarmed).

Preference:

Spoiler

Naramon can cloak almost whenever, and in cloak, can disarm enemies without alerting them, and can send them to sleep or something ninja-like, which could be a sub-class in Naramon (Naramon base: Rogue. Subtypes: Thief, Ninja, Assassin).

2 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

This will not be a node-by-node breakdown as it may change too much between now and release

So I guess this means no release next week either? If you think it maybe will change too much that surly can't mean in a week since changing something liek that "much" seems not like a task you can do in a day or two.

On 9/29/2017 at 1:10 PM, QuietBiro said:

I'm not sure about the stacking Zenurik aura. My fear is people asking specifically for 4 Zenurik users in certain missions, akin to how we used to run four Corrosive Projections, except this would be on a much more permanent level. Swapping Focus schools for most players is much bigger deal than swapping auras. I think the strongest Zenurik energy aura should take priority, ignoring and replacing all other Zenurik auras of other players. This will keep Zenurik as a very valuable Focus school, a must have in every squad, while also allowing the other 3 players to pick other Focus schools for greater variety. 

I concur. If they actually end up going down this route, Recruiting chat is going to worsen and it will be nye impossible to join any mission without conforming to Zenurik. Your idea of making the buff base itself off of the squad member with the highest node rank is much better.

Archived